1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Tom Woods Drive Shaft

Discussion in 'Suspension' started by Dick Proenneke, Sep 20, 2013.

1. Oct 30, 2013 at 4:39 PM
    Janster

Janster Old & Forgetful

Member:
    First Name:
    Jandy
    Lancaster, PA
    Vehicle:
    2016 GMC Canyon SLT w/ LineX and....
    I've had 2 Tom Woods drive shafts on my Jeep. Front was a straight shaft and the rear was a double cardon joint shaft.

Tom Woods shafts are awesome and well worth the money. Those shafts had seen many years of hard offroad usage including 2 rollovers!

I think in a lot of cases.... people don't realize the drive shaft geometry is different for a double cardon joint than it is for a conventional shaft - and why they might have problems after installing. They don't have it setup properly.

http://www.4xshaft.com/driveline101.asp

2. Oct 30, 2013 at 4:45 PM
    Ghost848

Ghost848 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tony
    Alberta,Canada
    Vehicle:
    09 V6 TRD OR Silver M6
    OME + Dakers, 285/75R16 Nitto Trail Grapplers, ARB Bumper, Columbia overland Dual battery, Super winch,CC stage 4 clutch, bestop supertop, URD TO bearing, BHLM headlights, Cruisin offroad rear bumper, Harrop front E-locker.
    i would have bought you tw off you im only in rd too grrrr oh well glad you fixed your issue

3. Oct 30, 2013 at 6:08 PM
    Dick Proenneke

Dick Proenneke [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Edmonton, Alberta
    Vehicle:
    2013 TRD Sport 4X4
    OME 3" Lift with DAKAR'S, LR UCA'S, ECGS Bushing, Leer Cap, 18" Dick Cepek Torque', Duratracs, custom drive shaft, etc!
    The TW one piece I bought was 67 5/8". TW said maximum length for a steel one piece was 70", however the drive shaft shop in Edmonton said 63". I don't know. All I know is the aluminum one piece works great, and the TW introduced vibes at about 47 to 55 mph depending on the pinion angle. I understand the differences in pinion angle from a one piece, to a two piece, to a one piece with a CV joint. I bought shims from 2.0* to 4.0* and ran 0* to 4* on my TW one pice to get it to work. Trust me in saying I tired everything I could and spent dozens of hours researching every option before going to a one piece aluminum. I have a 3" OME lift with DAKARS and have done the ECGS bushing upgrade (Best Mod!), been through two sets of tires, and adjusted my carrier bearing, more times than I can recall. I've probably pulled my rear end off the leafs seven times, and wrecked my shoulder, and one set of u-bolts, in the process. I'm not a mechanic, but I'm handy enough, and have the tools. All I know is I'm just glad my GD vibes are gone. Spent more money than I ever intended. Love my tacoma (My third, but first with a lift), but this really tested my patience.

Last edited: Oct 30, 2013
  4. Oct 31, 2013 at 10:01 AM
    gearcruncher

gearcruncher Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Canadain bumper technician
    Great white North 51.0333° N, 93.8333° W
    Vehicle:
    2010.TRD.SportDCLB4x4Limited leather package
    TRD Sport Rally -5 speed automatic Limited ,Factory heated leather seats ,chrome package,Super white with front windows tinted to 35 % Dick Cepek DC-2 wheels Summer tires - Good year silent armor P265/65R17 Winter tires - Good year P265/65R17 Ultra Ice studded Illuminated 4x4 switch TRD 3rd brake light cover ($20) TRD seat belt shoulder protectors (5). ($50) TRD ...B pillar emblems ($20) TRD rear slider sticker with devil horns ( $6) TRD summer floor matts ($60) TRD steering wheel emblem ($20) TRD floor pedals .($95) TRD shorty antenna ($14) TRD front Windshield emblems ($17) TRD head pillows .($60) TRD head rest protectors TRD door scuff protection $20 TRD floor matt emblems ($40) TRD tow plug emblem . ($40) TRD cigarette lighter with LED.($35) TRD tissue dispenser ($12) TRD front bezel emblems ($9) TRD door emblems ($6) TRD lanyards($9) TRD lisence plates with TRD bolts($50) TRD fender emblems TRD center caps Part Number:PT904-35070-CC ($80) TRD cd
    I am not lifted and have some nasty vibes that I need to figure out . I can only imagine what you guys feel after changing the geometery with a lift . All the vibration horror stories I hear have changed my mind on the lift i was planning . I dont plan on larger tires to get the truck half an inch higher off the ground . When I go off road , I take the quad in the back of the truck . The money I save from not doing the lift will assist in purchasing a newer quad runner or mods to the truck that work as intended without the added greif . Its rather depressing mind you . installing a lift was what I had planned when i purchased the truck .

lynyrd3 likes this.
  5. May 20, 2014 at 8:18 AM
    Bellis

Bellis friggin rad

Member:
    First Name:
    Ben
    mass southshore
    Vehicle:
    pyrite 6-speed 2012 offroad
    driver mod
    yes

6. Apr 14, 2015 at 11:59 AM
    South.shoretacoMA

South.shoretacoMA Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Andrew
    SE MASS
    Vehicle:
    Stock 09 taco
    so we all just deal with this damn vibration, fuck this. when I can I'm selling this headache and going back to building up 90's chevys. unless theres a known fix before i pay it off. but the vibration and the ticking? nope, not for me. thought i was buying a reliable rice burner. but i now know that toyota like all other auto makers these days, doesnt give one fuck. 2/3 of every taco owners i talk too have this problem

7. Jan 1, 2017 at 6:47 PM
    jake7995

jake7995 Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    07 Tacoma TRD O/R
    Dick, which shop in Edmonton built the aluminum shaft? I've been looking and can't find anybody that builds them

8. Feb 9, 2017 at 11:51 AM
    Jorgy1

Jorgy1 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2019 MGM Tundra CrewMax 4x4
    I'm interested as well on the aluminum shaft. I'm in Lethbridge, and am wondering if its Pat's Driveline that built the shaft.

9. Feb 23, 2017 at 11:46 PM
    beersntacos

beersntacos Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brandon
    Bend, OR
    Vehicle:
    2005 Tacoma DCSB
    Old man emu suspension, spc UCAS, kenwood touchscreen deck, baja roof basket, oregon racks bed rack, MT shasta extended CVT RTT, cvt summit series 55 inch awning, pro comps with ko2s, soon to be wet okole seat covers
    @Jorgy1 I am looking at a tacoma in Fort Macleod, but I live in Bend, Oregon USA. I am really wanting a 2nd gen 4x4 dual cab. I have people looking for me, like @snowtank. I was curious if you ever go to Fort Macleod and would be willing to look at a truck for me?

snowtank likes this.
  10. Feb 24, 2017 at 8:56 AM
    Jorgy1

Jorgy1 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    I'm in fort Macleod all the time. I'd be more than willing to look at it for you. I see one of the local car lots in ft Macleod has a Tacoma, is it that one?

11. Feb 25, 2017 at 9:53 AM
    beersntacos

beersntacos Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brandon
    Bend, OR
    Vehicle:
    2005 Tacoma DCSB
    Old man emu suspension, spc UCAS, kenwood touchscreen deck, baja roof basket, oregon racks bed rack, MT shasta extended CVT RTT, cvt summit series 55 inch awning, pro comps with ko2s, soon to be wet okole seat covers
    Yes @Jorgy1. The tacoma at prairieautomotivesales. 2009. That would be awesome if you looked at it. Mostly concerned about rust. Thanks!!

12. Feb 25, 2017 at 10:12 AM
    Jorgy1

Jorgy1 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    I'm on shift Sunday night. I'll stop by and snap a few close up pics of it for you. If it's a local truck it won't have any rust, this area is a very dry climate with very mild winters - Jorgy

Products Discussed in

To Top