Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

Tom Woods Drive Shaft

Old 09-20-2013, 07:43 AM   #1
Dick Proenneke is on a distinguished road
Law Enforcement:
Dick Proenneke's Tacoma Gallery
Tom Woods Drive Shaft

Gonna pull the trigger on a Tom Woods double cardon one piece drive shaft to get rid of my take off shudder. I've tried everything: CB drop, StreetTacos bracket, OME drop, shims, etc. I just want to confirm if anyone has had a problem with their TW DS, or if the general consensus is that it's a good fix.
Old 09-21-2013, 01:25 AM   #2
Banned
Man Overboard is on a distinguished road
Man Overboard's Tacoma Gallery
Don't do it, rip off
Old 09-21-2013, 04:42 AM   #3
You're no good to me dead
BulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: You can call me Susan if it makes you happy.
BulletToothTony's Tacoma Gallery
My buddy ran one on his taco and loved it. He had no vibes and had tried all the things you listed as well.
Old 09-22-2013, 09:04 AM   #4
ATHiker is a splendid one to beholdATHiker is a splendid one to beholdATHiker is a splendid one to beholdATHiker is a splendid one to beholdATHiker is a splendid one to beholdATHiker is a splendid one to beholdATHiker is a splendid one to beholdATHiker is a splendid one to behold
Navy:
Name: Tom
ATHiker's Tacoma Gallery
if you get one, give us some feedback.
Old 09-22-2013, 11:13 PM   #5
Salesman by trade, Gentleman by habit
Mr. Biscuits is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Biscuits is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Biscuits is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Biscuits is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Biscuits is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Biscuits is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Biscuits is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Biscuits is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Biscuits is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Biscuits is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Biscuits is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brennen J
Mr. Biscuits's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Man Overboard View Post
Don't do it, rip off
Do you have one?
Old 09-22-2013, 11:43 PM   #6
bzzr2 is a jewel in the roughbzzr2 is a jewel in the roughbzzr2 is a jewel in the rough
bzzr2's Tacoma Gallery
Try it, if it doesnt resolve your issues they will let you return it.
Old 09-22-2013, 11:53 PM   #7
GreatBasinTaco is a jewel in the roughGreatBasinTaco is a jewel in the roughGreatBasinTaco is a jewel in the rough
Army:
Name: Mike
GreatBasinTaco's Tacoma Gallery
I have a single piece. I had it made for by a local shop. You may be able to do the same for less money. Mine resolved my vibe issues and the overall loss of ground clearance from removing the cb is minimal.
Old 09-23-2013, 02:29 PM   #8
Law Enforcement:
I have ordered the shaft, which should ship today. I'll submit some feedback once it's installed.

My local shop quoted me $800-$1000, but I'm in Edmonton, Canada, the land of oil, where you pay twice as much, for half the quality, and you have to wait in line.
Old 09-23-2013, 03:17 PM   #9
Road rage is a hobby
Oowen is one of the sharper tools in the shedOowen is one of the sharper tools in the shedOowen is one of the sharper tools in the shedOowen is one of the sharper tools in the shedOowen is one of the sharper tools in the shedOowen is one of the sharper tools in the shedOowen is one of the sharper tools in the shedOowen is one of the sharper tools in the shedOowen is one of the sharper tools in the shedOowen is one of the sharper tools in the shedOowen is one of the sharper tools in the shed
EMS:
Name: Owen
Oowen's Tacoma Gallery
Have the exact same one. Took care of vibes
Old 09-24-2013, 11:31 PM   #10
GreatBasinTaco is a jewel in the roughGreatBasinTaco is a jewel in the roughGreatBasinTaco is a jewel in the rough
Army:
Name: Mike
GreatBasinTaco's Tacoma Gallery
those are crazy prices. Definitely better to order. as long as your measurements are on you shouldn't have any problems.
Old 09-30-2013, 10:31 PM   #11
Law Enforcement:
I installed the Tom Woods today. Silky smooth up until 50 mph, and then I start to get vibrations. Ahhhhhhhhhhhhh!

I think I'm gonna put my two piece back on, unless I can sort out a fix.

Edit OCT 1:

OK, I measured my pinion angle relative to my new TW drive shaft. It was 1.8* with 350 lbs in the back. That is what I had in the back when I tested the drive shaft. I took out 180 lbs (Set of LT tries) and the vibrations were cut in half. I measured my drive line angle at 1.5*. I took out all the weight in the back, and the vibrations were reduced another 50%. Drive line angle of 1.2*. TW said the pinion has to be at 0* relative to the DS. I have a 3* shim in, so I'm gonna up the shim to 4* and see what I get. BTW I have DAKARS which are very stiff and don't allow for a lot of pinion movement. Otherwise the TW drive shaft is very nicely finished and fits well on the truck. I absolutely want to keep it if I can.
Old 10-02-2013, 07:25 AM   #12
ATHiker is a splendid one to beholdATHiker is a splendid one to beholdATHiker is a splendid one to beholdATHiker is a splendid one to beholdATHiker is a splendid one to beholdATHiker is a splendid one to beholdATHiker is a splendid one to beholdATHiker is a splendid one to behold
Navy:
ATHiker's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick Proenneke View Post
I installed the Tom Woods today. Silky smooth up until 50 mph, and then I start to get vibrations. Ahhhhhhhhhhhhh!

I think I'm gonna put my two piece back on, unless I can sort out a fix.

Edit OCT 1:

OK, I measured my pinion angle relative to my new TW drive shaft. It was 1.8* with 350 lbs in the back. That is what I had in the back when I tested the drive shaft. I took out 180 lbs (Set of LT tries) and the vibrations were cut in half. I measured my drive line angle at 1.5*. I took out all the weight in the back, and the vibrations were reduced another 50%. Drive line angle of 1.2*. TW said the pinion has to be at 0* relative to the DS. I have a 3* shim in, so I'm gonna up the shim to 4* and see what I get. BTW I have DAKARS which are very stiff and don't allow for a lot of pinion movement. Otherwise the TW drive shaft is very nicely finished and fits well on the truck. I absolutely want to keep it if I can.
I am very interested in the results as i am considering a TW drive shaft.
Old 10-08-2013, 12:07 AM   #13
Law Enforcement:
Well I took off the TW shaft, and put my two piece back on. I could not get it to stop vibrating at 50 mph+. I tried 2*, 3*, & 4* shims. Stripped my u bolts on the last change and had to buy new ones. With 4* shims it was 0.4* off neutral to the shaft. Vibes are even worse under load. Too bad, I was hoping it would fix my problem. Now I have to eat $200 in shipping, back and forth to TW.
Old 10-29-2013, 07:40 PM   #14
Law Enforcement:
I took the TW one piece to a local shop and they said that the TW shaft was too heavy for it's length, being all steel. That's why it was constantly vibrating at 50 MPH despite the pinion angle. I sent back the TW and got a full refund. My local shop built me a one piece aluminum shaft, and I am now vibration free!!!!!
Old 10-30-2013, 04:42 AM   #15
Navy:
ATHiker's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I took the TW one piece to a local shop and they said that the TW shaft was too heavy for it's length, being all steel. That's why it was constantly vibrating at 50 MPH despite the pinion angle. I sent back the TW and got a full refund. My local shop built me a one piece aluminum shaft, and I am now vibration free!!!!!
Photos and pricing??????
Old 10-30-2013, 09:38 AM   #16
Law Enforcement:
Price was $925 (CDN) installed, but I live in Edmonton, Alberta, so prices are higher, than in the US. Pics at a later time.
Old 10-30-2013, 11:59 AM   #17
Navy:
ATHiker's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Price was $925 (CDN) installed, but I live in Edmonton, Alberta, so prices are higher, than in the US. Pics at a later time.
Are aluminum drive shafts normal or did you have to go to a speciality shop to get it fabricated? Looks like we have the same truck and issues.
Old 10-30-2013, 12:21 PM   #18
2006KJ is one of the sharper tools in the shed2006KJ is one of the sharper tools in the shed2006KJ is one of the sharper tools in the shed2006KJ is one of the sharper tools in the shed2006KJ is one of the sharper tools in the shed2006KJ is one of the sharper tools in the shed2006KJ is one of the sharper tools in the shed2006KJ is one of the sharper tools in the shed2006KJ is one of the sharper tools in the shed2006KJ is one of the sharper tools in the shed2006KJ is one of the sharper tools in the shed

2006KJ's Tacoma Gallery
i have one.. smooth as glass.. when i called TW they said almost 100% of customers got rid of take off shudders/shakes as well as slow down shudders/shakes but some picked up a minor vib at high speed (70 or more)

mine is smooth everywhere... seems to be the pattern with everyone i asked before i bought mine. WELL worth the $$
Old 10-30-2013, 02:01 PM   #19
Law Enforcement:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATHiker View Post
Are aluminum drive shafts normal or did you have to go to a speciality shop to get it fabricated? Looks like we have the same truck and issues.
I don't know if they are normal, however my drive shaft shop said they have been building a lot of them for the full size truck crowd. Edmonton is the land of lifted trucks (Oil field), so they have a fair bit of experience up here, I guess. Mine is quite smooth now. Straight one piece with no CV at the TS.
Old 10-30-2013, 02:25 PM   #20
gearcruncher is one of the sharper tools in the shedgearcruncher is one of the sharper tools in the shedgearcruncher is one of the sharper tools in the shedgearcruncher is one of the sharper tools in the shedgearcruncher is one of the sharper tools in the shedgearcruncher is one of the sharper tools in the shedgearcruncher is one of the sharper tools in the shedgearcruncher is one of the sharper tools in the shedgearcruncher is one of the sharper tools in the shedgearcruncher is one of the sharper tools in the shedgearcruncher is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter: training officer
Name: TW certified keyboard mechanic
gearcruncher's Tacoma Gallery
Single piece driveshafts can cause a whip issue but usually happens over 60 inches in length . I havnt crawled under my double cab to measure my two peice but I beleive its under the 60 inch ( 5 foot ) guidleine that driveshaft builders follow . Guessing this is why Toyota used the 2 peice ? are we over 60 inches in total length ?
When cancelling driveshaft angles , 3 degrees is the max for a single universal joint on either end of a driveshaft to cancel each other out , anything above 3 degrees is far too much for a regular single universal joint . Havnt spent enough time researching what the driveshaft does when we have weight in the back of the box . Does the slip yoke bottom out at the end of its travel with a lot of weight ? that would amplify a minor vibration .

I would be looking at axle wrap and road force balancing the tires