Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

Difference between long travel and mid travel

Old 09-26-2013, 08:28 PM   #1
Annolino122 has a spectacular aura aboutAnnolino122 has a spectacular aura about

Annolino122's Tacoma Gallery
Difference between long travel and mid travel

I was searching through some threads about LT and MT suspensions, already deciding on my stage 5 icon MT.... is all it takes to make it a LT kit is the wider UCA's and LCA's? aside from hardware to remount things, is that essentially the difference?
Old 09-26-2013, 08:38 PM   #2
precoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedprecoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedprecoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedprecoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedprecoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedprecoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedprecoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedprecoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedprecoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedprecoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedprecoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: corey
precoma's Tacoma Gallery
No the shocks are diffrent aswell mid travel consists of a stock length uca normally with a uniball and a extended travel 6 in coil. Where long travel is anywhere from 2 to 4 inchess wider then stock depending what kit you run with 8 in coils
Old 09-26-2013, 08:38 PM   #3
AWESOME MEMBER
Conman117 is one of the sharper tools in the shedConman117 is one of the sharper tools in the shedConman117 is one of the sharper tools in the shedConman117 is one of the sharper tools in the shedConman117 is one of the sharper tools in the shedConman117 is one of the sharper tools in the shedConman117 is one of the sharper tools in the shedConman117 is one of the sharper tools in the shedConman117 is one of the sharper tools in the shedConman117 is one of the sharper tools in the shedConman117 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Nathan
Conman117's Tacoma Gallery
Can't find the stage 5 on their website.
LT uses 2.5 8-10" coilovers, and yes, longer uca's and lca's.
Old 09-26-2013, 10:33 PM   #5
Annolino122 has a spectacular aura aboutAnnolino122 has a spectacular aura about

Stage 5 is just 2.5 inch reservoired icon shocks in the back instead of the 2.0 inch.
SDHQ off-road has the higher stage kits
http://store.sdhqoffroad.com/2005-cu...temstage5.aspx

but if you get the extended travel coil overs and shocks like i am that add 1.5 inches of travel to the coil over than essentially, with the wider UCAs, LCAs, and other parts like blackdawg said, they're pretty much the same set up, just paying for LT conversation later on won't be as damaging to my bank account.

their rep at icon said the extended travel Icon coil overs can get up to 10 inches of travel
Old 09-26-2013, 10:35 PM   #6
Pineapples on pizza Hawaiian does not it make.
Konaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Cody
Konaborne's Tacoma Gallery
I'd save up and do it in one go, if you're already planning on LT

I spent way too much money swapping suspensions up to MT; switching to LT would be way worse

nothing translates over from MT to LT, especially if you're going to run it hard.

you can't use "normal" MT exptended coilovers with a LT kit
Old 09-26-2013, 11:00 PM   #8
Sublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Sublime's Tacoma Gallery
Stage 5 kit is plenty to get your di*k wet especially in AZ......can hit the fast stuff and still crawl through tight rocky trails. Do it right the first time and got Stage 5 but add a full replacement leaf pack and Icons bolt on hydro bumps. The rear will take all the abuse off road so don't skimp there. LT front is useless if the rear cant keep up!
Old 09-26-2013, 11:37 PM   #9

thats why im going with the stage 5 MT... i was just curious about the LT kit just to see if you could do the swap. I plan on doing more trails and crawling then high speed dunes and wide open areas. The width of the truck is perfect for what i do so no need for the LT, just curiosity

but sublime... what are you talking about for the rear? i that the 2.5's and the add-a-leaf was the suggested way to go if i didnt want to remount and reframe my back end?
Old 09-26-2013, 11:40 PM   #10
Pineapples on pizza Hawaiian does not it make.
Konaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Cody
Konaborne's Tacoma Gallery
a full leaf pack will always outperform an AAL on a weak stock pack

unless you're going LT, or want a custom setup outback, you don't have to change anything with the rear frame
Old 09-26-2013, 11:43 PM   #11

so getting an all-pro rear leaf kit for the $450 is worth it than actually paying the $150 for AAL
Old 09-27-2013, 08:58 AM   #12
Big Taco has much to be proud ofBig Taco has much to be proud ofBig Taco has much to be proud ofBig Taco has much to be proud ofBig Taco has much to be proud ofBig Taco has much to be proud ofBig Taco has much to be proud ofBig Taco has much to be proud ofBig Taco has much to be proud of

Air Force: Vehicle Maintenance
Name: Justin
Big Taco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annolino122 View Post
so getting an all-pro rear leaf kit for the $450 is worth it than actually paying the $150 for AAL
Always
Old 09-27-2013, 11:28 AM   #13

Had a PM about a pack that won't jack up the back end of my truck and more forgiving than the stiff all pros
Old 09-28-2013, 04:43 AM   #14
Sublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Sublime's Tacoma Gallery
The aal with the 2.5" rears will actually do pretty good but the stock leafs with aal can't take a ton of punishment. Bottoming out is a major issue with these trucks as we don't have a ton of compression travel so a better bump stop is usually needed. Those 2.5's properly valved will help with bottomimg out so I would just roll with that for awhile or feel you need more out of the rear.