Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

removing the top nut?

Old 03-09-2009, 03:37 PM   #1
I've got so much soul in me that I'm barely alive.
Zombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: AMMO (2W0)
Name: Kevin
Zombie Runner's Tacoma Gallery
removing the top nut?

I got my bilsteins in today and i started to install the rear ones but i can tighten or loosen the top nut without the top part of the shock spinning! WTF?
A little help here please. is there a simple trick that I'm missing?
Old 03-09-2009, 03:38 PM   #2
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Sjould be able to stick an allen wrench, or an adjustable wrench on the top of the shaft to hold it from spinning
Old 03-09-2009, 03:38 PM   #3
Aspiring wrench monkey
TacoCo is a glorious beacon of lightTacoCo is a glorious beacon of lightTacoCo is a glorious beacon of lightTacoCo is a glorious beacon of lightTacoCo is a glorious beacon of light

TacoCo's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keason1* View Post
I got my bilsteins in today and i started to install them but i can tighten or loosen the top nut without the top part of the shock spinning! WTF?
A little help here please. is there a simple trick that I'm missing?
dude, don't take off the top nut without a spring compressor
Old 03-09-2009, 03:39 PM   #4
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Dont be trying to remove that center nut without the springs compressed.
Old 03-09-2009, 03:42 PM   #5
Zombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

the rear shock.....sorry i didnt mention it the first time
Old 03-09-2009, 04:01 PM   #6

Quote:
the rear shock.....sorry i didnt mention it the first time
Rear shock should have a little hole in the top of the shaft to fit, I belive a 4mm hex head.
Old 03-09-2009, 04:03 PM   #7
Pat will become famous soon enough

Pat's Tacoma Gallery
I just took off the blue cover, got a par of locktight grips and locked them onto the shaft of the shock and was then able to un-do the top nut.
Old 03-09-2009, 04:15 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat View Post
I just took off the blue cover, got a par of locktight grips and locked them onto the shaft of the shock and was then able to un-do the top nut.
But if you do this, you risk damageing the shock shaft. If the wrench digs into the shaft, it will no longer seal propperly, and will leak.
Old 03-09-2009, 04:16 PM   #9
06Bluez has much to be proud of06Bluez has much to be proud of06Bluez has much to be proud of06Bluez has much to be proud of06Bluez has much to be proud of06Bluez has much to be proud of06Bluez has much to be proud of06Bluez has much to be proud of06Bluez has much to be proud of06Bluez has much to be proud of

06Bluez's Tacoma Gallery
I had the same problem with my rear shocks! It was extremely annoying, I think I used an allen wrench on the top and some vise grips.
Old 03-09-2009, 05:14 PM   #10
Sooooooper Moderator
jhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: former TSgt/E6, 3D172, Cyber Transport, NC Air Guard and prior AD
Name: Jamie
jhodge83's Tacoma Gallery
take an open ended wrench and use it to hold the top of the shaft above the threads that sticks out the top plate...wont booger the end or the shaft. by time u get ot to where the nut is hitting the wrench, u can get it off w/ ur fingers
Old 03-09-2009, 05:38 PM   #11

There are 2 different types of shock shafts. Both are very easy to remove the top nu toff off.
First one has a hex hole in the top. They typically take a 5mm hex wrench, and useing a 17mm open wrench, you can remove the top nut.

The other has 2 flat sides so an open wrench can be used to hold it from turning. Typically an 8mm open wrench:

No need to grip the shock shaft with pliers, or whatever.
Old 03-09-2009, 05:49 PM   #12

awsome, thanks for your help chris!
Old 03-09-2009, 05:50 PM   #13

Quote:
awsome, thanks for your help chris!
Anytime, Buddy.
Old 03-10-2009, 12:10 AM   #14
Mudbug is on a distinguished road

Mudbug's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris4x4 View Post
There are 2 different types of shock shafts. Both are very easy to remove the top nu toff off.
First one has a hex hole in the top. They typically take a 5mm hex wrench, and useing a 17mm open wrench, you can remove the top nut.

The other has 2 flat sides so an open wrench can be used to hold it from turning. Typically an 8mm open wrench:

No need to grip the shock shaft with pliers, or whatever.

Unless you are unlucky like me and the flat piece on top snaps off ...yeah vise grips on the shaft and it was off. I didn't care about the shaft since it was taking the old one off. The new bilsteins had a spot for an allen key so they went on without the same hassle.
Old 03-10-2009, 05:54 AM   #16
ccs368 is on a distinguished road
ccs368's Tacoma Gallery
Also, I sprayed a lot of penetrating oil into the nut to try to break away every bit of corrosion that has accumulated between the threads of the shaft and the threads of the nut for easier removal.
Old 03-10-2009, 06:50 AM   #17
Pat will become famous soon enough

Pat's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
But if you do this, you risk damageing the shock shaft. If the wrench digs into the shaft, it will no longer seal propperly, and will leak.
Yeah thats was my only worry but I was putting new shocks on anyways so I didn't really need to keep the stock shocks in good condition.

On the other hand, your ways of taking it off are much better!! chris4x4 ftw.
Old 03-10-2009, 07:08 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by fletchaka View Post
Whew....I thought this was going to be a thread about removing tcBob.
Does he have a provision for a wrench to be paced on his head?
Old 03-13-2009, 10:15 AM   #20

Quote:
Does he have a provision for a wrench to be paced on his head?
lol