Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

Noob questions for a Lift Maestro.

Old 09-30-2013, 12:15 PM   #1
TTBlues is on a distinguished road
TTBlues's Tacoma Gallery
Noob questions for a Lift Maestro.

I want to re-do my suspension. Looking for advice on what OME package to order and what to be sure to have included.

I bought my 99 Tacoma with some kind of 3" lift already installed. There are spacers on the front struts and some kind of shocks that are all black. The rear springs have AAL's and Rancho 5150's
I'm not positive but I think the UCA's are stock. They have a black coating that matches all the stock frame/suspension parts.
I have 16" rims and am currently running 265 75 r16.

I like the way my truck takes bumps, but it's pretty wafty on turns.
I'd like to increase my tire size a little but am fine staying where I am at if budget mandates.

I've been looking at theses OME kits:

http://www.rocky-road.com/old-man-emu-tacoma.html
http://wheelersoffroad.com/product/o...-sport-shocks/

But those 2 differ some in what is included and the Rocky Road kit also comes with pre-assembled struts. The main differences I am confused about are:

Rocky Road comes with a driveshaft spacer, but Wheeler's makes no mention of it. Is it necessary?

Wheeler's comes with rear greasable shackles but it's an option at Rocky Road. Which is better?

Rocky Road has a 'trim leveling kit' and Wheeler's has a 'front trim packer' What's the difference? Do those refer to spacers in the struts for the full 3" lift, or the trim adjust for the Taco lean?

Rocky has a leaf spring option of heavy duty or medium duty? Whats the real world difference? I have a camper shell and load up with gear for camping. Sometimes a canoe. I don't haul rocks or tow.

Other things I need to know:

-Which front coils/shocks should I get? In the future I'd like to get a good bumper and winch, but it may be a year or more before I can afford it, so I'll probably be driving on this suspension with the stock bumper for now..

-Rocky Road recommends that you remove 1-2 leafs for ideal ride height? Why? I thought I needed an AAL to match the front lift? I'd like to have my rear sit slightly higher than my front.

-Am I going to need new UCA's? If so, which ones?

-If I go with bigger tires, with this lift, will I also need spacers?

-What are the largest tires I can go with without new UCA's. I thought I read 275.

-Do I need to do a diff drop? Or can I get by without it?

-I want the full 3" lift. For that, do I need the pre-load spacers in the front and the AAL's in the back? It's confusing that Rocky Road suggests you need to remove leaves from the pack whereas I thought an AAL would be better.

Thanks for any help. I am a noob, but I'm trying to do this right.
Old 10-02-2013, 11:44 AM   #2
TTBlues's Tacoma Gallery
109 views? No one can answer a question or two? I thought this was one of the most popular lifts.
Old 10-02-2013, 11:58 AM   #3
Jack of all trades; Master of none
geekhouse23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeekhouse23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeekhouse23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeekhouse23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeekhouse23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeekhouse23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeekhouse23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeekhouse23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeekhouse23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeekhouse23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeekhouse23 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

geekhouse23's Tacoma Gallery
Here is my OME kit install "write-up" for a second gen. It includes alignment info after the install as well as the measurements before and after. I didn't install the diff drop because they are useless on a 2nd gen. On here, I read anything over 2"-2.5" you need UCAs. I went with Light Racing for the price and the good reviews on TW.

I am going to upgrade to a Dakar leaf pack with all-pro u bolt flip kit, extended brake lines etc. once I find some places to wheel and my brother and friend get trucks.

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd...installed.html
Old 10-02-2013, 12:42 PM   #4
Dan
YotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Dan
YotaDan's Tacoma Gallery
OP, since you have a number of questions, just give me a call and we can go over them.
Old 10-02-2013, 11:04 PM   #5
TTBlues's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by geekhouse23 View Post
Here is my OME kit install "write-up" for a second gen. It includes alignment info after the install as well as the measurements before and after. I didn't install the diff drop because they are useless on a 2nd gen. On here, I read anything over 2"-2.5" you need UCAs. I went with Light Racing for the price and the good reviews on TW.

I am going to upgrade to a Dakar leaf pack with all-pro u bolt flip kit, extended brake lines etc. once I find some places to wheel and my brother and friend get trucks.

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd...installed.html
Thanks. Nice write up.. And it looks good too. I've got a first gen., so some things will be different. But I'm basically doing the same kit. UCA's do seem like a good idea. When you can, come out west to wheel.
Old 10-02-2013, 11:04 PM   #6
TTBlues's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by YotaDan View Post
OP, since you have a number of questions, just give me a call and we can go over them.
Will do.
Old 10-02-2013, 11:07 PM   #7
davidpick is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidpick is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidpick is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidpick is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidpick is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidpick is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidpick is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidpick is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidpick is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidpick is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidpick is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter:
Name: David
davidpick's Tacoma Gallery
definitely give wheeler's a call. i bought my OME kit from them and have nothing but good things to say about their customer service and knowledge!
Old 10-02-2013, 11:27 PM   #8
Plastidipped ma Hootus!
kmok is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmok is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmok is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmok is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmok is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmok is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmok is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmok is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmok is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmok is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmok is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Kyle
kmok's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TTBlues View Post
I want to re-do my suspension. Looking for advice on what OME package to order and what to be sure to have included.

I bought my 99 Tacoma with some kind of 3" lift already installed. There are spacers on the front struts and some kind of shocks that are all black. The rear springs have AAL's and Rancho 5150's
I'm not positive but I think the UCA's are stock. They have a black coating that matches all the stock frame/suspension parts.
I have 16" rims and am currently running 265 75 r16.

I like the way my truck takes bumps, but it's pretty wafty on turns.
I'd like to increase my tire size a little but am fine staying where I am at if budget mandates.

I've been looking at theses OME kits:

http://www.rocky-road.com/old-man-emu-tacoma.html
http://wheelersoffroad.com/product/o...-sport-shocks/

But those 2 differ some in what is included and the Rocky Road kit also comes with pre-assembled struts. The main differences I am confused about are:

Rocky Road comes with a driveshaft spacer, but Wheeler's makes no mention of it. Is it necessary?

I've never heard of a driveshaft spacer used when lifting these trucks.

Wheeler's comes with rear greasable shackles but it's an option at Rocky Road. Which is better?

greasable shackles are "better" but not really needed.

Rocky Road has a 'trim leveling kit' and Wheeler's has a 'front trim packer' What's the difference? Do those refer to spacers in the struts for the full 3" lift, or the trim adjust for the Taco lean?

I would assume they are the same and trim packer is intended to compensate for taco lean. I believe the spacers for the full 3" of lift are the "10mm lift enhancer" kits on wheeler's website.

Rocky has a leaf spring option of heavy duty or medium duty? Whats the real world difference? I have a camper shell and load up with gear for camping. Sometimes a canoe. I don't haul rocks or tow.

OME Dakar pack would probably work. An add a leaf made for the dakar pack can be added later or shackles.

Other things I need to know:

-Which front coils/shocks should I get? In the future I'd like to get a good bumper and winch, but it may be a year or more before I can afford it, so I'll probably be driving on this suspension with the stock bumper for now..

-Rocky Road recommends that you remove 1-2 leafs for ideal ride height? Why? I thought I needed an AAL to match the front lift? I'd like to have my rear sit slightly higher than my front.

-Am I going to need new UCA's? If so, which ones?
I'd go with light racing UCAs if you're going full OME kit.
-If I go with bigger tires, with this lift, will I also need spacers?
3" is the max lift you can do on these trucks without major modification (long travel, sas, drop bracket)
[/B]. I thought I read 275.
33s are typically what are used for 2.5-3" of lift but you will likely experience some rubbing and need to do some trimming. 285/75/16 or 255/85/16 would work. 255/8516 are tall skinny tires
-Do I need to do a diff drop? Or can I get by without it?
I took mine off and have not had any issues. Not worth it imo but others may say otherwise.
-I want the full 3" lift. For that, do I need the pre-load spacers in the front and the AAL's in the back? It's confusing that Rocky Road suggests you need to remove leaves from the pack whereas I thought an AAL would be better.

It depends on what springs up front you go with. OME dakar pack paired with shackles will probably give you close to 3" of lift after everything settles since you have a cap. The add a leaf made for the dakar pack is also another option to get 3" of lift and keep rake.

Thanks for any help. I am a noob, but I'm trying to do this right.
Couldn't tell you exactly what springs to go with up front. Wheeler's know better than I would but I would go with a full OME kit (OME shocks and springs up front and in the back)
Old 10-02-2013, 11:29 PM   #9
Dr. Frankenstein
Blackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Monte
Blackdawg's Tacoma Gallery
Drive shaft carrier bearing drop is not needed till you hit 3+" rear lift. Oer wise the bearing can go bad and u joints. Axle shims are also a good addition.

Greasable shackles are handy as you can grease them without taking the bolts out.

Trim packer is the same. For 881 or 883 coils to add more lift or just on the driver side to get rid of taco lean

For leaf packs. I bet the difference is either just the Dakar packs or the Dakar packs with the addition DX9 AAL in it. The added AAL will be nice for additional weight. But you can always add it later if you decide you need more weight capacity. I'd personally get it to avoid the packs sagging when loaded for camping. But depends on how much gear you pack.

Wheelers will also have the option for putting in their packs made by Alcan. Either 4 or 5 packs. I'd go for 5 packs as you have a topper. Plus they also make an AAL you can add for even more weight capacity. Which is a great combo.

Front coils if your going to get a bumper and winch I'd go for the 883s for the capacity. They will give you almost 3" lift without a bumper but not quiet. Will go great with either the Wheelers 5 packs or Dakars.

With the 883s I'd plan on the Dakars or wheelers 5 packs with the addition AAL. This will keep the rear hire then the front like you wanted. We call this stance having Rake.

UCAs are needed. They will get your alignment back in spec though. They are nice but if you can't afford them up front. Don't worry about it.

Spacers? Like suspension spacers?? Nooooo. You'll be plenty high. Wheel spacers? Maybe. Will depend on the wheels and tire choice. Largest you could run is 285/75r16s or 33x12.5r15s. But you will have to cut the pinch weld in wheel wells and hammer the fire wall a bit. With 12.5s you'll need about 3.5" back spacing. For 285s you'll need 4" minimum. So if you have stock wheels, you'll need so,e .75-1" wheel spacers up front. I'd also recommend extended lug nuts for the fronts.

Diff drops help a bit. Can't hurt for 20-30 bucks.

For 3" lift and some good capacity. I'd go 883 front coils with trim packer and wheelers 5packs with the AAL or Dakar leafs with AAL and possibly 1" lift shackles to maintain rake stance.

But you can always add AALs and shackles and the trim package. So for starters I'd just go 883s and wheelers 5 packs and AAL or Dakars and AAL. Add the shackles and trim package later after a front bumper and winch.

You'll also need longer rear shocks if you get shackles.
Old 10-03-2013, 07:20 AM   #10
Jack of all trades; Master of none
geekhouse23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeekhouse23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeekhouse23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeekhouse23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeekhouse23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeekhouse23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeekhouse23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeekhouse23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeekhouse23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeekhouse23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeekhouse23 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

geekhouse23's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TTBlues View Post
When you can, come out west to wheel.
Once I get her more "Wheelin' ready" and get a few friends together.

Old 10-03-2013, 01:52 PM   #11
TTBlues's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmok View Post
Couldn't tell you exactly what springs to go with up front. Wheeler's know better than I would but I would go with a full OME kit (OME shocks and springs up front and in the back)
thanks for answering all that!
Old 10-03-2013, 01:53 PM   #12
TTBlues's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackdawg View Post
Drive shaft carrier bearing drop is not needed till you hit 3+" rear lift. Oer wise the bearing can go bad and u joints. Axle shims are also a good addition.

Greasable shackles are handy as you can grease them without taking the bolts out.

Trim packer is the same. For 881 or 883 coils to add more lift or just on the driver side to get rid of taco lean

For leaf packs. I bet the difference is either just the Dakar packs or the Dakar packs with the addition DX9 AAL in it. The added AAL will be nice for additional weight. But you can always add it later if you decide you need more weight capacity. I'd personally get it to avoid the packs sagging when loaded for camping. But depends on how much gear you pack.

Wheelers will also have the option for putting in their packs made by Alcan. Either 4 or 5 packs. I'd go for 5 packs as you have a topper. Plus they also make an AAL you can add for even more weight capacity. Which is a great combo.

Front coils if your going to get a bumper and winch I'd go for the 883s for the capacity. They will give you almost 3" lift without a bumper but not quiet. Will go great with either the Wheelers 5 packs or Dakars.

With the 883s I'd plan on the Dakars or wheelers 5 packs with the addition AAL. This will keep the rear hire then the front like you wanted. We call this stance having Rake.

UCAs are needed. They will get your alignment back in spec though. They are nice but if you can't afford them up front. Don't worry about it.

Spacers? Like suspension spacers?? Nooooo. You'll be plenty high. Wheel spacers? Maybe. Will depend on the wheels and tire choice. Largest you could run is 285/75r16s or 33x12.5r15s. But you will have to cut the pinch weld in wheel wells and hammer the fire wall a bit. With 12.5s you'll need about 3.5" back spacing. For 285s you'll need 4" minimum. So if you have stock wheels, you'll need so,e .75-1" wheel spacers up front. I'd also recommend extended lug nuts for the fronts.

Diff drops help a bit. Can't hurt for 20-30 bucks.

For 3" lift and some good capacity. I'd go 883 front coils with trim packer and wheelers 5packs with the AAL or Dakar leafs with AAL and possibly 1" lift shackles to maintain rake stance.

But you can always add AALs and shackles and the trim package. So for starters I'd just go 883s and wheelers 5 packs and AAL or Dakars and AAL. Add the shackles and trim package later after a front bumper and winch.

You'll also need longer rear shocks if you get shackles.
props to you too, for taking the time. i think i understand it better.