Notices

My Build 3" Pro Comp Coilover

Old 10-03-2013, 12:36 PM   #1
Wingman4 is on a distinguished road

Law Enforcement:
Wingman4's Tacoma Gallery
My Build 3" Pro Comp Coilover

Okay guys,

In the fall of 2012 I sold my beloved F150 with a 3" body lift (never again), 3" spacer lift, 2" aal, 35x12.50R17 Cooper STT, 17x9 Pro Comp 1079, Flowmaster Super 44 SIDO, Hunter Brush Guard, XRC 8 Winch, Custom winch mount:

I had put a lot of work into that truck. Long story short, it was failing me and started having trouble the trailing months before I sold it. I traded in for a truck I've always wanted, the Toyota Tacoma . However, since I went with a mid-sized truck - much smaller than my F150 - I had to get a bigger cab and longer bed, so I purchased a TRD Sport double cab long bed... with 4x4 of course

I had always been jealous of how much ground clearance Tacomas had stock. Compared to my old lifted F150, I had almost as much ground clearance under the frame. I considered staying stock... Haha... That lasted one month. I called up the shop that lifted my old truck and asked for their recommendation. They recommended the Ready Lift SST 3" kit. WOW! I was impressed with the ride height. It was a lot higher than stock:

But oddly enough, the rough ride I had heard about from other F150 owners installing spacer lifts that I had never experienced before I actually felt now in my Tacoma.... But I didn't mind it. I've always been a fan of a firm riding truck.

All was going great and then on the night before my wedding, while heading to the rehearsal dinner I curbed my truck (I swear this is a longer wheel base than my F150) and sliced (yes, sliced) the sidewall open on my back right stock dunlop. Woops.... Next morning before the wedding I get a new set of tires put on since I wanted to eventually buy some nice ATs anyways: 265/70R17 Cooper AT3s. A few months later I decided I wanted to Plastidip my wheels:

Then I hit a bump in the road... er, rather, a Honda Accord... So I got this:

But then I met Sandman614... And was thoroughly disappointed in my so called 3" lift.... He has the OME 886 setup and sat at least 3" higher than me in my 3" spacer lift

A few weeks went by and I had to buy my wife a vehicle. While we were there shopping, I saw a lifted 4 banger with DC-1 wheels and 285/70R17. I was looking at the DC-2s, but hey I figured if they'll trade me for my TRD sport wheels I'd be okay with that. Sure enough

I was happy sitting a few inches higher until yet again I met up with Sandman614 and was still sitting short a few inches.... So I decided at that point that I was going to buy coils. I couldn't afford OME 886 with the nitrocharger shocks, and 4 Wheel Parts is just down the road, so for a dollar more, I bought their coils and for about $300 less I bought their 6000 series shocks. To account for the Tacoma lean and my ARB (and because I wanted a lot of lift) I bought Wheelers Offroad 1/2" lift enhancer for the drivers side and 1/4" spacer for the passenger side.

Sandman614 helped me install the lift on my truck one night in his garage (its great to have great friends!). We only lifted the front (I kept the Ready Lift 1.5" block in the rear). My before measurements (with the Ready Lift 3" spacer) were 21.25" (Driver) and 21.75 (Passenger). My after measurements were 24.25 (Driver and 25.00 (Passeger) lol.... After driving around a bit it settled to 24" (Driver) and 24" (Passenger).

Here's a before (yellow shocks) and after (white shocks) of sorts:

It drives like butter. I could not be happier with the lift and the ride quality. I also removed the sway bar and have had no issues. I like the way it handles, but that's just me. (Edit -- After keeping mostly to the street, I will be putting the sway bar back on for more stability in turns etc.)

Here's a few more shots:

I will keep you guys updated on ride quality etc. But so far I am very impressed with the Pro Comp. But I do have a long bed with a v6 and an ARB, so I have a lot of weight. My winch is sitting in my closet waiting to be put in. Maybe on weekend soon I'll get that on.

-----------------------------------

Fall 2013, I was offered an outstanding deal by discount tire in Raleigh and had them put on LT285/70R17E OWL BFG AT KOs. I am very pleased. I noticed that I gained at least an inch in clearance in going from my bald Nitto Terra Grapplers to the BFGs. Also, I noticed that the tire width is narrower - which I am very happy about since I didn't like all that rubber on the asphalt going down the highway on the Nittos --> Hopefully I'll get slightly better MPGs but we'll see. Either way, I'm MUCH happier with the ride and definitely happy with the looks!

Went out to Ft. Fisher to test out the new tires. Aired down to 30 psi and did great. Considering I made it out there on 38 psi, 30 seemed low enough to keep me going smooth, which it did. I have aired down to 12 psi before and you're pretty much unstoppable at that point... until you get to asphalt. Looks like an air compressor may be in my future:

Old 10-11-2013, 02:49 PM   #2
1YOTA6
1YOTA6 is on a distinguished road

Name: Kyle
1YOTA6's Tacoma Gallery
great detailed wright up... ill keep your truck in mind as I went with the same ready lift and want a little more outa the front as well as trying to figure out the right tire size and have been putting a lot of thought into a 285/70 r17 on my stock wheels that i also have already added the 1.5 in spydertrax spacer kit with. i like how my truck looks/rides but want more lift in the front with out breakin the bank hahaha
Old 10-14-2013, 12:16 PM   #3

Law Enforcement:
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1YOTA6 View Post
great detailed wright up... ill keep your truck in mind as I went with the same ready lift and want a little more outa the front as well as trying to figure out the right tire size and have been putting a lot of thought into a 285/70 r17 on my stock wheels that i also have already added the 1.5 in spydertrax spacer kit with. i like how my truck looks/rides but want more lift in the front with out breakin the bank hahaha

Thanks man! Yeah, I was all excited at first when I had the shop install my ReadyLift and then after a few months it just seemed like it didn't sit high at all...

From what it sounds like, you're in the same boat I was in. Ya know, now that I've had it a month or so and put another 1500 miles on it I can tell you that it still rides great! If I had to do it over again I would consider going with the OME 886 coils and probably the bilstein 5100 adjustable front struts, solely for supporting the ARB and winch and having the ability to adjust my height (which I would always want as high as possible). If I didn't have the ARB or winch I would definitely just go this route with the Pro Comp coils and the 6000 series shocks. Rides perfect - Especially if you have a DCLB. Also, I didn't know it until I opened the box, but the Pro Comp coils are packaged with a spacer that trims out the front of the truck to be level side to side (spacer goes on driver's side).

I love this lift, but I couldn't justify the cost of the OME shocks... And I've seen pics of broken shocks combined with the 886s and just didn't want to risk it. I have no clue how/why it breaks, but the photos were convincing to me and my wallet lol.

So, my one month review: It still rides like a dream. My measurements have not changed a bit since the first night and I would definitely put it on there again (but I would consider the OME 886 with the Bilstein 5100s for my ARB and winch setup). To understand where I was coming from though, my original knowledge on the subject is this: I was told from multiple sources that the spring rate was 720 ft. lbs. for the Pro Comp, which everyone said far outdid the [mysterious ft. lbs. of the] OME 886 spring rate and was told that the Pro Comp would ride stiffer than... well... some things are better off not repeated... Maybe the fact I have a long bed makes a difference, but compared to the 886 setup on Sandman614's truck, mine was soft. I like it, but its soft... So I'm just stating facts. His definitely rides firmer than mine. I think overall I spent probably $150 or $200 less on this setup the OME route, but I am very pleased. This lift gets bashed A LOT, but I love it and would definitely do it again. For anyone else out there looking to get this lift, please note that I did use lift enhancers on top of the Pro Comp springs to gain almost 3" of additional lift from the supposedly 3" spacer I already had.

I would love to get measurements from a stock DCLB center wheel cap to underside fender. I'll bet I went up over 3.5"
Old 11-05-2013, 08:56 AM   #4

Law Enforcement:
Just a quick update....

I have put many more miles on it now ~5K and have a slight squeak in the suspension, but I was experiencing that before I put it on as well. I believe some lithium spray grease would solve the issue. I haven't had any issues with alignment or bottoming my suspension out (other than my OEM rear shocks topping out over bumps). I plan on replacing the OEM UCAs early next year with Light Racing UCAs - Fat Bob's Garage has a deal going on for $379 right now. I think that's the absolute best price I've seen - I just don't want to blow $400 on freaking UCAs. Why don't the stock ones work? Why!?.... Anyways. I am also looking at upgrading the front suspension. I don't know why, but I feel shorter now - even though the measurements are the same. I just want more lift.

So next up for the front is going to be LR UCAs, Bilstein 5100 adj struts set at 1", OME 886 Coils, 2" AAL, and Fabtech Shock Absorbers = $875.96 - which I really don't want to spend

Or I could go this route: LR UCAs, Fabtech shock absorbers, 2" AAL, 1" spacer, 1.5" spacer for $635.96

Or I could enter into the realm of drop bracket kits and forever be bashed for installing such a thing on my truck: Rough Country 4" Suspension Lift, keep my Pro Comp Lift coils and let that compensate for the winch. I wouldn't need UCAs, but that would run me $999.95 - Really? 95 cents? That's like the gas station still displaying 3.36.........9..... Jackleg morons, just round it up since that's what you're actually charging me.
Old 11-13-2013, 09:59 AM   #5

Law Enforcement:
Just had some new shoes put on this morning! Woot! *Pictures put into edited OP*
Old 11-13-2013, 01:16 PM   #6

Law Enforcement:
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1YOTA6 View Post

Not sure if you're still looking for a solution, but you might just want to try some Bilstein 5100s up front on the first setting. I know some people consider it stacking lifts, but I think that's a load of crap. At that point, your spacer is just like having a "lift enhancer" on top of your coils like I have. You could do that and see if it doesn't improve your ride and give you some extra height. It'll definitely clear 285/70r17s at that point.
Old 01-07-2014, 09:26 AM   #7

Law Enforcement:
Just installed a Pro Comp 2" AAL this past weekend with Sandman. I gained a solid 2" in bed height with a 200+ pound load in the bed! WOW! We also installed Pro Comp Pro Runner Rear 6" lift shocks. The ride is smooth as silk. My front suspension will be replaced this upcoming weekend with Billys set a little higher. I now have a rake, but I think it turned out good (Thanks for the pictures, Tim!)

-
Old 02-11-2014, 02:00 AM   #9
Mahony is on a distinguished road
Name: Johnathan
Mahony's Tacoma Gallery
Did anybody have any trouble with alinements after your lifts I'm thinking of does the pro-comp 3inch suspension lift on my tacoma just wandering before I make the investment I'll appreciate and help and suggestions
Old 02-11-2014, 08:31 AM   #10

Law Enforcement:
As it currently sits with the pro comp 3" coils,ES9000 series front struts, wheelers .5" top plate spacer on drivers side, wheelers 1/4" top plate spacer on passenger side, pro comp short 2" AAL, ready lift 2" Rear lift block, rear pro comp pro runner 6" lift shocks..... With this setup no one has given me any gripe about alignment. Before the AAL some techs complained that they couldn't get caster (front to back) lined up right. But that won't affect tire wear. Since the AAL no one has mentioned it. I think the back being up higher made the angle align right.

I will let you know next week too when I add some 3/4 ply spacers on both sides. Shouldn't have a problem but it will bring the front up another 1" or 1.25" so Wheelers claims.

Just keep in mind that I have a DCLB which is heavier than other models like the DCSB or AC, and I have an ARB on there that weighs a solid 150#. If I had no weight on the front I would just purchase the kit as is from them with the driver side 1/4" spacer that comes with the kit. Also if you don't load your bed down you may want to consider an angled block instead of an AAL. That sucker is stiff but I love it when I have stuff in the back. It also got rid of my axle wrap on take off that I had stock and lifted with just the block. Good luck with your decision! Don't forget you can always run OME with Bilstein 5100s if the OME shocks are too pricey for you as they were for me.
Old 02-11-2014, 09:39 PM   #11
Mahony's Tacoma Gallery
Thank you your input helped out a lot on making my decision on the lift I wanted. My tacoma is going to spend 25% of its life offroad I believe the pro-comp will suit my driving the best I hope anyway cause I really don't want to drop the cash on oem lifts there outrageous but I do have one more question for you. What would size tires would be best with just the 3inch coil overs and aals in the back.
Old 02-11-2014, 10:18 PM   #12
Mahony's Tacoma Gallery
Another reason I am wanting to lift my truck is I have two other guys riding with me to work and with me and my wife it's fine but with them in the truck it bottoms out in the back every pot hole I hit its horrible
Old 02-12-2014, 12:38 PM   #13

Law Enforcement:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahony View Post
Thank you your input helped out a lot on making my decision on the lift I wanted. My tacoma is going to spend 25% of its life offroad I believe the pro-comp will suit my driving the best I hope anyway cause I really don't want to drop the cash on oem lifts there outrageous but I do have one more question for you. What would size tires would be best with just the 3inch coil overs and aals in the back.
No problem man! Okay yeah. Based on that I would just suggest that you upgrade to Pro Comp's Pro Runner series front and rear shocks. The front ones are adjustable kinda like the Bilstein 5100s except instead of an adjustable c-clip theres one setting, but you can use one of two different spring perches. One is stock and the other is a 2.5" lift. I would just leave it at the stock perch height if I were you and go with the Pro Comp 3" coil for the lifting part up front. Those will ride really good. I love this lift, but just be weary of how tight you get that top hat nut on the front struts. You should be okay with only 7 or so threads showing on the top of the nut. If you crank it down too much more the bushing will be squeezed too tight it the truck will ride like crap. If you do it right and just tighten so you can't hand twist the busing with the nut on there then you will ride like a hot knife through butter no joke.

IMHO if you want to "look lifted" just for looks go for 285/70R17s. That's what I have and they have served me well offroad, but I haven't flexed it a ton. If you want to be most capable and still have good mpgs I would get 265/70R17 or 275/70R17 (make it xxx/75/R16 if you're a 16" rim). Plus depdening on whether or not you get aftermarket rims, you will need to get wheel spacers if you run stock rims with anything over 265 wide. You should only need one pair for the front, but if you wanted them on all four corners it'd be about 150-200 for a decent set of spydertrax.

Quote:
Another reason I am wanting to lift my truck is I have two other guys riding with me to work and with me and my wife it's fine but with them in the truck it bottoms out in the back every pot hole I hit its horrible

Oh wow yeah that's a loaded Tacoma brother. I can always tell when I have a cab full of people lol. I would definitely go with the AAL then. Just stick something heavy in the bed if you wind up not hauling a bunch of people around anymore. It'll smooth out the ride. Also sounds like your stock leaf pack may be done for. Do you have the three or four leaf pack with TSB? I had the TSB and it wasnt sagging bad, but if you're already bottoming out, you might consider getting something like Icon's Multi Leaf progressive leaf pack. It's expensive but I hear the ride is great: http://wheelersoffroad.com/product/a...dd-a-leaf-set/
Old 02-18-2014, 09:19 PM   #14
Mahony's Tacoma Gallery
I'm having my lift installed Monday I'll be sure and post some pic for you to see I'm going with the daystar 2 1/2 front and a skyjacker 1 1/2 aal on the rear I'm hoping it will set it up pretty good at least enough to run 285s
Old 07-14-2014, 07:29 PM   #15

Law Enforcement:
Quote:
I'm having my lift installed Monday I'll be sure and post some pic for you to see I'm going with the daystar 2 1/2 front and a skyjacker 1 1/2 aal on the rear I'm hoping it will set it up pretty good at least enough to run 285s
That's sweet man! Can you post a pic? I have been gone for a while so I haven't actually seen your post until just now.