1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

INSTALLED MY 5100's

Discussion in 'Suspension' started by muliefever, Mar 10, 2009.

1. Mar 10, 2009 at 5:53 AM
    muliefever

muliefever [OP] Muliefever

Member:
    Tillamook, Oregon
    Vehicle:
    14' DCSB TRD
    5100's, 887', CB, 265's, FM Deltaflow
    So I got off work a little early yesterday, and when I got to my house I could see a box waiting for me! I knew what it was! Finally, I got my new 5100's! So I put my two labs in the back of the truck and headed to town. Stopped by and rented a coil spring compressor from Autozone ($53, that they return) I went to my shop at the base. I started the tear down, taking both stock struts and coils out first. Then I had to take off my readylift. I know a lot of peope are afraid to compress the coils yourself, let me tell you how I did it. I had no worries or problems. What i did was layed them on a bench, and then on the top of the strut there is a flat piece that you must secure to take the nut off. I put that in a bench vise, ans tightened. Then I put the coil compressors on, I used a air gun to compress the coils. Then i made sure everything was stable, then I took the top of the strut off. Made the switch and put it all back together. It took me just under three hours to put all four new shocks on. I did it all by myself. Very easy!

Now the ride, WOW, I can't believe it, it is so smooth it feels like a whole new truck! If you are on the fence, go for it! You won't be dissapointed!

2. Mar 10, 2009 at 6:21 AM
    harshest

harshest I am the Sofa King

Member:
    Michigan
    Vehicle:
    05 PreRunner SR5
    Fog Light On, Hidden Garage Door Opener, Scanguage II, Weathertech Liners, Cig lighter always on, Door buzzer removed from dash- Upcoming: 5100s for front and rear, set fronts to 2.5" and Toytec AALs.
    What setting did you use? 5100's all around? What do you have for leaf in the rear? Sorry for all the Q's

BTW
    :worthless:

3. Mar 10, 2009 at 6:30 AM
    jasonh

jasonh tossed salad anyone?

Member:
    Dallas, TX.
    Vehicle:
    2007 Pre Runner SR5
    Billy 5100's
    i only got my front 2 on this past weekend but i had to have help pushing the control arms down to get the 5100's back in. how did you get them in by yourself? yeah lets see some pics man

i took the springs to firestone to have them change them out and of course they F'd up. i ended up having to get the spring compressor kit to align the top with the bottom.

4. Mar 10, 2009 at 3:15 PM
    wildjerseyfirefighter

wildjerseyfirefighter I sell fishing and fishing accessories

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    NJ
    Vehicle:
    05 Tacoma TRD Sport
    stock, for now

i did the same..I couldnt get the one to work thou. Took it to my work and did it with the wall mount.

I also had trouble with the LCA...I had to have my dad stand on the rotor, so i could get the shock back in:rolleyes:

if it dosent rain in the next few days, ill take pics of my install on the drivers side.

Products Discussed in

To Top