Notices

INSTALLED MY 5100's

Old 03-10-2009, 06:53 AM   #1
Muliefever
muliefever has a spectacular aura aboutmuliefever has a spectacular aura about
Coast Guard: First Class Petty Officer
muliefever's Tacoma Gallery
INSTALLED MY 5100's

So I got off work a little early yesterday, and when I got to my house I could see a box waiting for me! I knew what it was! Finally, I got my new 5100's! So I put my two labs in the back of the truck and headed to town. Stopped by and rented a coil spring compressor from Autozone ($53, that they return) I went to my shop at the base. I started the tear down, taking both stock struts and coils out first. Then I had to take off my readylift. I know a lot of peope are afraid to compress the coils yourself, let me tell you how I did it. I had no worries or problems. What i did was layed them on a bench, and then on the top of the strut there is a flat piece that you must secure to take the nut off. I put that in a bench vise, ans tightened. Then I put the coil compressors on, I used a air gun to compress the coils. Then i made sure everything was stable, then I took the top of the strut off. Made the switch and put it all back together. It took me just under three hours to put all four new shocks on. I did it all by myself. Very easy!

Now the ride, WOW, I can't believe it, it is so smooth it feels like a whole new truck! If you are on the fence, go for it! You won't be dissapointed!
Old 03-10-2009, 07:21 AM   #2
I am the Sofa King
harshest is one of the sharper tools in the shedharshest is one of the sharper tools in the shedharshest is one of the sharper tools in the shedharshest is one of the sharper tools in the shedharshest is one of the sharper tools in the shedharshest is one of the sharper tools in the shedharshest is one of the sharper tools in the shedharshest is one of the sharper tools in the shedharshest is one of the sharper tools in the shedharshest is one of the sharper tools in the shedharshest is one of the sharper tools in the shed

harshest's Tacoma Gallery
What setting did you use? 5100's all around? What do you have for leaf in the rear? Sorry for all the Q's

BTW
Old 03-10-2009, 07:30 AM   #3
tossed salad anyone?
jasonh is just really nicejasonh is just really nicejasonh is just really nicejasonh is just really nicejasonh is just really nice

jasonh's Tacoma Gallery
i only got my front 2 on this past weekend but i had to have help pushing the control arms down to get the 5100's back in. how did you get them in by yourself? yeah lets see some pics man

i took the springs to firestone to have them change them out and of course they F'd up. i ended up having to get the spring compressor kit to align the top with the bottom.
Old 03-10-2009, 04:15 PM   #4
I sell fishing and fishing accessories
wildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter:
Name: Joe
wildjerseyfirefighter's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to wildjerseyfirefighter
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonh View Post
i only got my front 2 on this past weekend but i had to have help pushing the control arms down to get the 5100's back in. how did you get them in by yourself? yeah lets see some pics man

i took the springs to firestone to have them change them out and of course they F'd up. i ended up having to get the spring compressor kit to align the top with the bottom.

i did the same..I couldnt get the one to work thou. Took it to my work and did it with the wall mount.

I also had trouble with the LCA...I had to have my dad stand on the rotor, so i could get the shock back in

if it dosent rain in the next few days, ill take pics of my install on the drivers side.