Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

Carrier bearing from lift

Old 10-11-2013, 09:27 PM   #1
Banned
Kirk1589 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKirk1589 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKirk1589 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKirk1589 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKirk1589 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKirk1589 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKirk1589 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKirk1589 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKirk1589 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKirk1589 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKirk1589 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Dave
Kirk1589's Tacoma Gallery
Carrier bearing from lift

Is there a reason my carrier bearing keeps going bad? Is there a drop kit? All I can find is a 05+ drop. This is the 4th since the lift I installed.
Lift
5100s and eibachs at 0
Allpro standard leafs
5125 rear shocks
I've been using pepboys bearings
Old 10-11-2013, 10:33 PM   #2
Salesman by trade, Gentleman by habit
Mr. Biscuits is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Biscuits is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Biscuits is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Biscuits is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Biscuits is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Biscuits is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Biscuits is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Biscuits is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Biscuits is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Biscuits is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Biscuits is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brennen J
Mr. Biscuits's Tacoma Gallery
Well the original reason you're blowing thru them is probably the 3" lift. It puts the driveshaft at a steeper angle wearing out u joints and bearings quicker.

Search "carrier bearing drop" and find the 1st gen fix thread I know I've seen one.

And I'd try using something other than pep boys. Might also be substandard quality replacement parts that are dying quicker.
Old 10-12-2013, 02:47 PM   #3
Banned
Kirk1589 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKirk1589 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKirk1589 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKirk1589 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKirk1589 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKirk1589 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKirk1589 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKirk1589 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKirk1589 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKirk1589 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKirk1589 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Biscuits View Post
Well the original reason you're blowing thru them is probably the 3" lift. It puts the driveshaft at a steeper angle wearing out u joints and bearings quicker.

Search "carrier bearing drop" and find the 1st gen fix thread I know I've seen one.

And I'd try using something other than pep boys. Might also be substandard quality replacement parts that are dying quicker.
The one I just got the bearing is a TIMKEN. Which makes excellent seals and bearings so I have heard. If this fails I'll be going to a drive shaft shop
Old 10-12-2013, 02:50 PM   #4
Mr. Biscuits is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Biscuits is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Biscuits is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Biscuits is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Biscuits is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Biscuits is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Biscuits is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Biscuits is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Biscuits is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Biscuits is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Biscuits is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirk1589 View Post
The one I just got the bearing is a TIMKEN. Which makes excellent seals and bearings so I have heard. If this fails I'll be going to a drive shaft shop
That's odd a lot of us run lift even more extreme without that issue. I'm running pretty much the same thing.

You wheel it often?
Old 10-12-2013, 07:23 PM   #5
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Biscuits View Post
That's odd a lot of us run lift even more extreme without that issue. I'm running pretty much the same thing.

You wheel it often?
Once a month but it's nothing much. No mud
Old 10-12-2013, 07:26 PM   #6

Hmm weird. Might be something else going on here.

But I'd visit a local drive shaft shop anyway. Some things are better left to professionals.
Old 10-13-2013, 10:09 AM   #7
Banned
Does this look right

Old 10-14-2013, 11:05 AM   #8
EASY WIND
Dirty Pool is one of the sharper tools in the shedDirty Pool is one of the sharper tools in the shedDirty Pool is one of the sharper tools in the shedDirty Pool is one of the sharper tools in the shedDirty Pool is one of the sharper tools in the shedDirty Pool is one of the sharper tools in the shedDirty Pool is one of the sharper tools in the shedDirty Pool is one of the sharper tools in the shedDirty Pool is one of the sharper tools in the shedDirty Pool is one of the sharper tools in the shedDirty Pool is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Dirty Pool's Tacoma Gallery
That bearing is installed backwards. I can't say if that is causing a problem but the factory does say to mount it with the "cut outs" on the mounting tabs to the rear. As long as the rubber is not being stretched forward or backwards to get the mount bolts in I would think/guess it would be fine. All the ones I have done wind up with the bolts more towards the center of the slots.
At 230K I am on my second OEM and the 1st "factory" one was not bad. It was replaced chasing another squeak. That is with around 3" lift and thousands of off road miles a year, every year.
Old 10-14-2013, 11:43 AM   #9
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirty Pool View Post
That bearing is installed backwards. I can't say if that is causing a problem but the factory does say to mount it with the "cut outs" on the mounting tabs to the rear. As long as the rubber is not being stretched forward or backwards to get the mount bolts in I would think/guess it would be fine. All the ones I have done wind up with the bolts more towards the center of the slots.
At 230K I am on my second OEM and the 1st "factory" one was not bad. It was replaced chasing another squeak. That is with around 3" lift and thousands of off road miles a year, every year.
Well I just flipped it around we'll see if it lasts longer.