Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

Toytec Boss Lift Installed

Old 10-12-2013, 10:46 AM   #1
JJ04TACO will become famous soon enoughJJ04TACO will become famous soon enough
Name: Jim
JJ04TACO's Tacoma Gallery
Toytec Boss Lift Installed

After wearing out the search function here looking at suspension stuff I finally decided to go with the Boss Lift and Dakars.

I didn't really find too much on the Boss as it seems not too many have installed it. So, I'd like to share what I can on the lift. First off I have an 04 DC TRD. I did the install myself and wish I hadn't gotten too excited and waited for my buddy to help. Pretty straight forward stuff. I like the ride, although a bit stiff I think a few more miles and the addition of bumpers down the line will help. Got the 600lb coils in front, not sure about the rate in the rears.

I did however get 4" of lift out of it. Here are the measurements from Hun center to fender. I'm guessing that after 120k mi on factory shocks and springs it may have settled a bit.

Before/After
LF 20.75/24.75
RF 20.5/24.75
LR 21.25/24.00
RR 21.25/24.00

I look forward to any questions and general discussion about this setup. It's my first post so I'm happy to be here!
Old 10-12-2013, 10:48 AM   #2
Eat right, be fit, die anyway
zacharypaul89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedzacharypaul89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedzacharypaul89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedzacharypaul89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedzacharypaul89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedzacharypaul89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedzacharypaul89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedzacharypaul89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedzacharypaul89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedzacharypaul89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedzacharypaul89 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Zach
zacharypaul89's Tacoma Gallery
Old 10-12-2013, 11:01 AM   #3
Lol nice...

In the hospital for a few days waiting for son to recover. I'll do pics when we return home. I just have tons of time to browse. Sorry. But the reply was awesome. It looks like any other lifted Taco though.
Old 10-12-2013, 11:57 PM   #4
Sublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Sublime's Tacoma Gallery
What's the boss lift? When I had their front setup I got over 4" of lift too. Rode like crap until I reduced pre-load (had the adjustable collars). If you're 4x4 watch those cv's.....good luck man and enjoy!
Old 10-13-2013, 04:52 AM   #5
Toytec changed the front shock to their own shock in their Boss setup. Different valving, larger shaft. I'm not exactly sure I fully understand why one would preload a spring in a strut. It seems like it would stiffen the ride and reduce flex. But I don't really know how to relieve the preload. Not too familiar with how to adjust adjustable coil overs. Wouldn't that increase the length of the spring and offer even more lift? Or I'm guessing there's a way to adjust both preload and ride height? Any insight would be welcome. I wouldn't mind messing with it as I have free alignments for another 18 months at NTB.
Old 10-13-2013, 04:56 AM   #6
I'd rather be skiing...
teneighty is one of the sharper tools in the shedteneighty is one of the sharper tools in the shedteneighty is one of the sharper tools in the shedteneighty is one of the sharper tools in the shedteneighty is one of the sharper tools in the shedteneighty is one of the sharper tools in the shedteneighty is one of the sharper tools in the shedteneighty is one of the sharper tools in the shedteneighty is one of the sharper tools in the shedteneighty is one of the sharper tools in the shedteneighty is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement:
teneighty's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ04TACO View Post
Lol nice...

In the hospital for a few days waiting for son to recover. I'll do pics when we return home. I just have tons of time to browse. Sorry. But the reply was awesome. It looks like any other lifted Taco though.
With some bro lean
Old 10-13-2013, 06:48 AM   #7
zacharypaul89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedzacharypaul89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedzacharypaul89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedzacharypaul89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedzacharypaul89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedzacharypaul89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedzacharypaul89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedzacharypaul89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedzacharypaul89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedzacharypaul89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedzacharypaul89 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Lol nice...

Cool. I'm ready to see it! The boss lift wasn't available when I ordered mine.
Old 10-13-2013, 06:54 AM   #8
Lord of War
KenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shed

KenLyns's Tacoma Gallery
^Yea, the BOSS lift is Toytec's store-brand coilover line. It was announced in Jan but only became available last month: http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/toy...n-systems.html

Quote:
I'm not exactly sure I fully understand why one would preload a spring in a strut. It seems like it would stiffen the ride and reduce flex. But I don't really know how to relieve the preload. Not too familiar with how to adjust adjustable coil overs. Wouldn't that increase the length of the spring and offer even more lift? Or I'm guessing there's a way to adjust both preload and ride height?
With most production vehicle coilovers, more preload = more ride height.

You can get more ride height without cranking the spring perch by inserting shims between the frame strut bucket and the coilover's top plate. However, the suspension at full droop will then bind the balljoints and/or CVs. Both are solvable with aftermarket parts, but your total cost of course goes up.
Old 10-13-2013, 04:26 PM   #9

Well it seems that I can't get the URL to work for posting photos. I found where I can attach files and it looks like it will let me do 5 but only 1 shows. I want to add more of the front setup. I've looked at the FAQ about a gallery, but I can't find how to utilize that. I'm prey tech savvy...
Attached Thumbnails
Toytec Boss Lift Installed-image.jpg  
Old 10-13-2013, 06:08 PM   #10

Quote:
Well it seems that I can't get the URL to work for the photos....I'll keep trying.
looks good!
Old 10-13-2013, 06:40 PM   #11
Salesman by trade, Gentleman by habit
Mr. Biscuits is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Biscuits is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Biscuits is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Biscuits is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Biscuits is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Biscuits is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Biscuits is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Biscuits is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Biscuits is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Biscuits is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Biscuits is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brennen J
Mr. Biscuits's Tacoma Gallery
Baby tires.

More meat.
Old 10-13-2013, 06:47 PM   #12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Biscuits View Post
Baby tires.

More meat.
Yup that's next... They are almost gone. Going to try to make it through winter. They're 265/75/16, a more aggressive tire will help. May stick with same size but also thinking about 255/85/16.
Old 10-13-2013, 06:50 PM   #13
Salesman by trade, Gentleman by habit
Mr. Biscuits is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Biscuits is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Biscuits is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Biscuits is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Biscuits is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Biscuits is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Biscuits is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Biscuits is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Biscuits is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Biscuits is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Biscuits is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brennen J
Mr. Biscuits's Tacoma Gallery
Noticed they were looking a little bald.

Go 33" and don't look back
Old 10-13-2013, 06:58 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Biscuits View Post
Noticed they were looking a little bald.

Go 33" and don't look back
agreed. When I put my 3" lift on, I went with 31's and regret it. I'm saving up for 33's now.

Quote:

Well it seems that I can't get the URL to work for posting photos. I found where I can attach files and it looks like it will let me do 5 but only 1 shows. I want to add more of the front setup. I've looked at the FAQ about a gallery, but I can't find how to utilize that. I'm prey tech savvy...
Just go to photobucket.com. Upload your photos and copy and paste the picture's URL here like so:

[img]insertlinkhere[/img]

no need to attach or anything. It just shows up with the text, like so:

Old 10-13-2013, 07:05 PM   #15
Quote:
Originally Posted by zacharypaul89 View Post
Just go to photobucket.com. Upload your photos and copy and paste the picture's URL here like so:

[img]insertlinkhere[/img]

no need to attach or anything. It just shows up with the text, like so:

Yeah I tried that, just got a small square where the photo should go. I'm guessing file size... (Photo attempt below)

http://www.flickr.com/photos/105312796@N06/10256772824/
Old 10-13-2013, 07:30 PM   #16

When you go to copy a link, there should be 4 links to chose from, to the right of the photo. They should be, in this order:

Email and IM
Direct
HTML
IMG

make sure you click the IMG link. As soon as you click it, it should say, "copied". If you do it right, just simply paste it here, without the [img]picture[/img] b/c they already add that in.
Old 10-13-2013, 07:32 PM   #17

okay, I see what you're doing...don't copy the link in the address bar at the top. In photobucket, select the photo you want to add on here and follow my steps above.
Old 10-14-2013, 12:41 PM   #18
I put a link to the photos in the post above. I'll figure it out at home, not on an iPad.
Old 11-02-2013, 05:44 PM   #19
ArMarine04 is on a distinguished road
Marines:
Name: Alan
ArMarine04's Tacoma Gallery
You seem to be the only person on TW that has the Boss System, any other thoughts on the lift? how does it ride on road? Are you still happy with kit? I know I have a second and you a first gen but I'd still like to get a general idea of the lift. (the more you have to say the better for me!)

Thanks!
Old 11-03-2013, 06:12 AM   #20
I really like it a lot. It rides very well on road but off road I've yet to see. I'm going to lower the fronts about 1/2 inch. It sits a little higher in front. I'm guessing they have it set for people who have heavy bumpers, which im still stock. I had trouble posting pics and switched to photobucket. I'll try to post again after I get home from work this evening.