1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Bilstein 5100's with Icon Add a leaf

Discussion in 'Suspension' started by Shade, Oct 14, 2013.

1. Oct 14, 2013 at 6:23 PM
    Shade

Shade [OP] Member

Member:
    Chesapeake, Va
    Vehicle:
    4X4 TRD Off Road Edition
    Toyota TRD exhaust, 1" lift via Bilstein 5100's (can't go too high... tree branches!), Nitto Terra Grapplers, Undercover tonneau cover,
    Need advice. I'm new to this forum. I just purchased a new 2013 double cab Tacoma 4x4 Off Road Edition; not even 500 miles on it yet. I want to install Nitto 265/75R16 Terra Grapplers and some posts indicate mild rubbing and other posts indicate no rubbing. I've decided to lift it but I don't want to lift it very much. I want to only lift it 1" to 1 1/2" so I'm considering the ride height adjustable Bilstein 5100's front and back with Icon add a leaf. I plan to pull a 3800 pound (dry weight)!camper trailer so I want to raise the front and back equally to maintain a little more height in the back.

The following link concerned me a little but I don't know what this guys Taco was like before lifting.
    http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/71238-08-Tacoma-lift-problems

Anyone have experience with this combo? I want to maintain a good highway ride and solid Offroad performance because I do wheel. Yeah, I want my cake and eat it.

Thanks in advance! :confused:

Last edited: Oct 14, 2013
  2. Oct 14, 2013 at 6:27 PM
    Pugga

Pugga Pasti-Dip Free 1983 - 2015... It was a good run

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    '19 Ford F-250 6.7 SCrew
    F-250 Land Yacht Mod
    I have the combo you're looking at. I have TSB leaf springs, Icon 3-leaf AAL and the overload leaf kept in place with 5100's to dampen the ride. It works well and does support weight well enough. Honestly though, if you plan on towing frequently, Wheeler's off road makes an HD version of the 3-leaf AAL or you might want to consider a more heavy duty leaf pack altogether.

Overall, I'm pleased with this setup. I haven't towed as heavy as you're planning to but I do tow and haul frequently and it's held up very well. I've had this setup for a little over a year now and the ride is nice and it flexes well.

Last edited: Oct 14, 2013
  3. Oct 14, 2013 at 7:00 PM
    Shade

Shade [OP] Member

Member:
    Chesapeake, Va
    Vehicle:
    4X4 TRD Off Road Edition
    Toyota TRD exhaust, 1" lift via Bilstein 5100's (can't go too high... tree branches!), Nitto Terra Grapplers, Undercover tonneau cover,
    Thanks! How much did you lift?

4. Oct 16, 2013 at 2:48 AM
    Shade

Shade [OP] Member

Member:
    Chesapeake, Va
    Vehicle:
    4X4 TRD Off Road Edition
    Everything I've read regarding the Icon 51100 AAL 1.5" Lift Rear Expansion Pack indicates it will improve the ride and lift the rear 1.5" which is exactly how much higher I want to go all the way around. Since it improves ride will it soften the payload capacity or improve it? I'm not expecting a huge improvement in sag under weight but will it improve a little (sag under weight and trailer)? From everything I've read so far, I understand I will also have to install Bilstein 5100's all around to accommodate new AAL and 265/75R16 Nitto Terra Grapplers. It's unfortunate that I have to replace the stock Bilsteins that came on this brand new truck (Off Road Edition with less than 1000 miles) to accommodate the 265/75R16's but I don't want them to rub. I don't mind doing all this to improve the empty ride and loaded ride; but if there are other options please advise... other shocks out there that will lift 1.5" that anyone recommends without breaking my wallet? As I mentioned, I'm only increasing the tire size to 265/75R16.

Thanks again

Products Discussed in

To Top