Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

Any drawbacks of OME 885 vs. Coilover?

Old 03-11-2009, 10:12 AM   #1
headhunter247 is one of the sharper tools in the shedheadhunter247 is one of the sharper tools in the shedheadhunter247 is one of the sharper tools in the shedheadhunter247 is one of the sharper tools in the shedheadhunter247 is one of the sharper tools in the shedheadhunter247 is one of the sharper tools in the shedheadhunter247 is one of the sharper tools in the shedheadhunter247 is one of the sharper tools in the shedheadhunter247 is one of the sharper tools in the shedheadhunter247 is one of the sharper tools in the shedheadhunter247 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

headhunter247's Tacoma Gallery
Any drawbacks of OME 885 vs. Coilover?

Curious about this, as I am leaning more towards the OME 885 since I drive a TON to work and back every week.
Old 03-11-2009, 11:01 AM   #2
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
The OME doesnt have an adjusting coller to use to break your knuckels with.
Old 03-11-2009, 11:03 AM   #4
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdkeller View Post
The only big difference is that the coilovers are adjustable. Also i think the spring for the coilover is 600# and the OME is 590#. So if you know you want a 3" lift then just go with the OME setup
Actually, most coilovers have a 650# spring. Leepers, and Toytec use a 600# one on their stuff.
Old 03-11-2009, 11:06 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdkeller View Post
oh thanks. I just assumed he was talking about toytec
Gotcha.
Old 03-11-2009, 12:43 PM   #7
headhunter247 is one of the sharper tools in the shedheadhunter247 is one of the sharper tools in the shedheadhunter247 is one of the sharper tools in the shedheadhunter247 is one of the sharper tools in the shedheadhunter247 is one of the sharper tools in the shedheadhunter247 is one of the sharper tools in the shedheadhunter247 is one of the sharper tools in the shedheadhunter247 is one of the sharper tools in the shedheadhunter247 is one of the sharper tools in the shedheadhunter247 is one of the sharper tools in the shedheadhunter247 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Ok, thanks for the input. I really think that I am going to go the OME route vs. the coilover. I do plan on doing some offroading, but I drive 300 mi a week for work, so I dont want to jeapordize the ride what so ever.

So if I go the OME 885 route I will need:

OME 885 springs
AAL
OME n140 shocks for front.

What about the back? Does EMU make longer shocks for the back comparable to the 5125?
Old 03-11-2009, 12:47 PM   #8
Can you pass the bailout please?
LonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jason
LonghornTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by illinoisboytacoma24 View Post
Ok, thanks for the input. I really think that I am going to go the OME route vs. the coilover. I do plan on doing some offroading, but I drive 300 mi a week for work, so I dont want to jeapordize the ride what so ever.

So if I go the OME 885 route I will need:

OME 885 springs
AAL
OME n140 shocks for front.

What about the back? Does EMU make longer shocks for the back comparable to the 5125?
From what I've heard, the OME setup rides great. Never heard anything bad about it. However, I have the TT coilovers and my ride is just like stock. Maybe a tad firmer but hardly noticeable at all. No one else can tell. And I've already needed to adjust mine once and I'm about to again because of adding weight on the front. Definitely like the adjustability!
Old 03-11-2009, 02:56 PM   #12

Thanks everyone for the input...Longhorn...glad you got TOTM..
Old 03-13-2009, 06:58 AM   #14
DNahas is on a distinguished road

DNahas's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverback07 View Post
You'll love the 885 ride. IMO it was far superior to the factory TRD setup.

Not fair, you have to explain!

I am deciding between kits and I see a lot of "You'll love the ride is better than stock"

Please elaborate, what is better for some may not be for others. I want a lift but I donít off road a lot. I am used to sports cars so I like it firm (Thatís what she said), but I donít like the bounce of stock (TRD OR)

What is the difference between OME over the stock TRD?

What is the difference in ride with 590# OME vs 650# TT?

Maybe this has all been covered and I just havenít found the thread. If so can some one post me a link?
Old 03-13-2009, 07:09 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNahas View Post

Not fair, you have to explain!

I am deciding between kits and I see a lot of "You'll love the ride is better than stock"

Please elaborate, what is better for some may not be for others. I want a lift but I donít off road a lot. I am used to sports cars so I like it firm (Thatís what she said), but I donít like the bounce of stock (TRD OR)

What is the difference between OME over the stock TRD?

What is the difference in ride with 590# OME vs 650# TT?

Maybe this has all been covered and I just havenít found the thread. If so can some one post me a link?

With the OME set up, you will feel the very small bumps a little more, and the steering will feel a little more responsive. The big hits will be no comparison, as the OME will soak them up very well. The OME shocks dampen the springs much better than the stockers, and it wont have a "wollowing" feeling. I hop ethis helps. Also, you will want to order a trim packer for the driver side to account for the extra weight.
Old 03-13-2009, 07:10 AM   #16
Can you pass the bailout please?
LonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jason
LonghornTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris4x4 View Post
With the OME set up, you will feel the very small bumps a little more, and the steering will feel a little more responsive. The big hits will be no comparison, as the OME will soak them up very well. The OME shocks dampen the springs much better than the stockers, and it wont have a "wollowing" feeling. I hop ethis helps. Also, you will want to order a trim packer for the driver side to account for the extra weight.
hu hu hu... He said "trim packer"... hu hu hu

Old 03-13-2009, 07:11 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by LonghornTaco View Post
hu hu hu... He said "trim packer"... hu hu hu

Old 03-13-2009, 07:36 AM   #18
DNahas is on a distinguished road

DNahas's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks for the tip on the drivers side. I sure don’t mind packing some trim around, especially if its extra trim.

I assume the heavier sprint rates are what will increase the small bounce/bump feeling. So the TT or a 650# spring will increase vs. the OME? J/C what is the factory TRD Spring rate?
Old 03-13-2009, 07:39 AM   #19

Factory rate is 540#. And, generally, the higher the spring rate, the more stiff the ride will become.