Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

RCD 4.5 vs 3" other lift

View Poll Results: Is the 4.5 RCD worth the high cost ($2100) vs a 3" ($400)
3 inches is perfect for the look and upsizing 158 41.58%
3 inches is a better value than a 4.5 69 18.16%
4.5 kit is cool but not sure its worth the money 115 30.26%
4.5 + kits are not worth the cash if not off roading 38 10.00%
Voters: 380. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-31-2012, 04:17 PM   #181
BORNWILDGUY is one of the sharper tools in the shedBORNWILDGUY is one of the sharper tools in the shedBORNWILDGUY is one of the sharper tools in the shedBORNWILDGUY is one of the sharper tools in the shedBORNWILDGUY is one of the sharper tools in the shedBORNWILDGUY is one of the sharper tools in the shedBORNWILDGUY is one of the sharper tools in the shedBORNWILDGUY is one of the sharper tools in the shedBORNWILDGUY is one of the sharper tools in the shedBORNWILDGUY is one of the sharper tools in the shedBORNWILDGUY is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force:
BORNWILDGUY's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by MWall View Post
Wheeler's Off Road lists a RCD 4.5" lift for 1799. I already ordered UCA's, so will this kit give me everything needed? The OME kit still has be buying an additional few hundred bucks worth of stuff. I guess what I am asking is...
Is the RCD 4.5" better or equal to/or better than a 3" OME lift (w/ UCA's/ diff drop kit/ Sway bar relocate kit/ extended brake lines/ carrier bearing drop kit/ and complete leaf spring packs with new U bolts)? RCD is 1799.00 while OME with all the above options is 1542.00. Basically 257.00 USD for 1.5"
I personally think its better but others will tell you otherwise. The rcd kit should come with everything you need. I believe they come with relocation brackets for the brake lines but you can always install extended length ss ones from all pro. You don't need uca's with the a drop bracket kit but if you want you can always install it if you want. If you are leaning towards the rcd or another drop bracket kit if you can I would return the uca's.
Old 01-01-2013, 08:58 AM   #182
MWall is a glorious beacon of lightMWall is a glorious beacon of lightMWall is a glorious beacon of lightMWall is a glorious beacon of lightMWall is a glorious beacon of light
Air Force:
Name: Mark
MWall's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks for the info, giving me something to think about.
Old 02-13-2013, 08:15 PM   #183
AbominableSnowman is on a distinguished road
Name: Tim
AbominableSnowman's Tacoma Gallery
MWall did you decide on your lift yet? I just purchased a 2011 TRD OR that came with 16" wheels. I have been thinking about the RCD myself so I called RCD ask about fitting with the 16" wheels. RCD said that as long as the wheels fit stock and have no more than 4.5" BS they will work with the lift.
Old 08-28-2013, 08:33 AM   #184
fj40taz is on a distinguished road

Name: Carl
fj40taz's Tacoma Gallery
sub'd for future reference..

really looking at the rcd lift... but may consider the zone offroad 4" kit..
Old 06-19-2014, 06:04 PM   #185
FREEDOMRIDING.COM
freedomriding has a brilliant futurefreedomriding has a brilliant futurefreedomriding has a brilliant futurefreedomriding has a brilliant futurefreedomriding has a brilliant futurefreedomriding has a brilliant futurefreedomriding has a brilliant futurefreedomriding has a brilliant futurefreedomriding has a brilliant futurefreedomriding has a brilliant futurefreedomriding has a brilliant future

Navy: Deep Sea Diver
Name: Freedom Riding Co.
freedomriding's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by BORNWILDGUY View Post
With a drop bracket you are keeping all your cv angles, tierod angles, baljoints etc at same stock angles. With a 3 inch you are changing those angles creating greater wear on your parts.

IMO the drop bracket gives you the lift and maintains a close to factory ride.
I agree. Most 3" kits ride like hell, especially the spacer ones. I've had OME, Toytec Ultimate, Revtek, etc.. The OME has the best ride for a non DB (drop bracket) kit but they all force the upper and lower control arms creating a stiff ride and wearing down components. I had to replace both front wheel bearings before reaching 50k miles because of the CV angles on the 3" kits. Even after switching to the Fabtech 6" Dirtlogic kit, I think the RCD is the way to go and will be installing on my 2012 DCLB 4x4