Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

RCD 4.5 vs 3" other lift

View Poll Results: Is the 4.5 RCD worth the high cost ($2100) vs a 3" ($400)
3 inches is perfect for the look and upsizing 158 41.69%
3 inches is a better value than a 4.5 69 18.21%
4.5 kit is cool but not sure its worth the money 115 30.34%
4.5 + kits are not worth the cash if not off roading 37 9.76%
Voters: 379. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-26-2012, 03:39 AM   #161
BORNWILDGUY is one of the sharper tools in the shedBORNWILDGUY is one of the sharper tools in the shedBORNWILDGUY is one of the sharper tools in the shedBORNWILDGUY is one of the sharper tools in the shedBORNWILDGUY is one of the sharper tools in the shedBORNWILDGUY is one of the sharper tools in the shedBORNWILDGUY is one of the sharper tools in the shedBORNWILDGUY is one of the sharper tools in the shedBORNWILDGUY is one of the sharper tools in the shedBORNWILDGUY is one of the sharper tools in the shedBORNWILDGUY is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force:
BORNWILDGUY's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by motorsport36 View Post
Define done right and done wrong? What would you do and not do? I am considering the drop bracket lift from BDS 6 inch.
If your considering the bds might want to look at the zone offroad kit. The parts are identical then you can go out and just upgraded coilovers for the front, add extended length brake lines and get you a new leaf pack. Bds actually owns zone offroad and makes the kits for zone.

Just installed the 4" zone kit on mine and the ride is awesome. I added bilstein 5100's all around and extended brake lines and also it is a very stout kit.
Old 12-26-2012, 10:58 AM   #162
Morto un papa, se ne fa un'altro
motorsport36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmotorsport36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmotorsport36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmotorsport36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmotorsport36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmotorsport36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmotorsport36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmotorsport36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmotorsport36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmotorsport36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmotorsport36 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement: EOD TEU1, MU 8, BUD/s 225, MA 9545
Name: Jason
motorsport36's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blacktacoma23 View Post
Done right: Coilovers (no spacers on top of stock coils), Uca's, Instead of Blocks in the rear get new springs, better shocks, Longer brake lines.

Last I saw you were on the right track ^
I plan on running BDS 6 inch with upgraded fox remote res coilovers, TC UCA's, and Alcan 6 inch leafs.
Old 12-26-2012, 10:58 AM   #163
motorsport36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmotorsport36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmotorsport36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmotorsport36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmotorsport36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmotorsport36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmotorsport36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmotorsport36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmotorsport36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmotorsport36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmotorsport36 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by BORNWILDGUY View Post
If your considering the bds might want to look at the zone offroad kit. The parts are identical then you can go out and just upgraded coilovers for the front, add extended length brake lines and get you a new leaf pack. Bds actually owns zone offroad and makes the kits for zone.

Just installed the 4" zone kit on mine and the ride is awesome. I added bilstein 5100's all around and extended brake lines and also it is a very stout kit.

Good info, I'll look into it.
Old 12-26-2012, 11:25 AM   #164
3 7 Mafia
Blacktacoma23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlacktacoma23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlacktacoma23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlacktacoma23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlacktacoma23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlacktacoma23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlacktacoma23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlacktacoma23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlacktacoma23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlacktacoma23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlacktacoma23 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Matt
Blacktacoma23's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by motorsport36 View Post
I plan on running BDS 6 inch with upgraded fox remote res coilovers, TC UCA's, and Alcan 6 inch leafs.
Sounds like ur good!
Old 12-26-2012, 11:26 AM   #165

Quote:
Sounds like ur good!

I want to make sure I do things right the first time.
Old 12-26-2012, 11:31 AM   #166
3 7 Mafia
Blacktacoma23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlacktacoma23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlacktacoma23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlacktacoma23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlacktacoma23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlacktacoma23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlacktacoma23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlacktacoma23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlacktacoma23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlacktacoma23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlacktacoma23 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Quote:
Originally Posted by solus View Post
I think 6 inch lifts make the truck look out of proportion.

Old 12-26-2012, 11:32 AM   #167

Proportion looks right to me!!!!
Old 12-26-2012, 10:09 PM   #168
HOME!!!
solus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: LT, USN
Name: Mark
solus's Tacoma Gallery
not me, while I do like those fenders though. I just think the 6" lift makes the truck look funny... sort of like how a puppy has big feet, thats what a 6" lift look like to me.
Old 12-26-2012, 11:13 PM   #169

Realistically it's only one inch taller than the RCD. Should barely be noticeable
Old 12-27-2012, 01:35 AM   #170
2013 DCSB 4x4
Jack Bond is on a distinguished road
Jack Bond's Tacoma Gallery
I just got a 2013 4x4 DCSB and was trying to decide what lift to get.

I was also thinking maybe a 4.5 lift.

Is it true that the Zone and BDS are basically the same parts and made in China? I was told that today.

And would that matter?
Old 12-27-2012, 04:26 AM   #172
650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement: Police
Name: Mike
650H1's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

awesome truck!! once you get glass bedsides it will look perfect!
Old 12-29-2012, 07:33 PM   #173
MWall is a glorious beacon of lightMWall is a glorious beacon of lightMWall is a glorious beacon of lightMWall is a glorious beacon of lightMWall is a glorious beacon of light
Air Force:
MWall's Tacoma Gallery
Just finished reading the entire thread from the first post. The RCD looks great, I really like the way 4.5" looks. I have been doing research on lifts and am pretty much sold on the OME 3" "done right" (UCA's, brake lines, complete leaf packs). Several friends have OME lifts, one on a Jeep CJ and one on a Cherokee, both say the ride is better than stock. I do like the 4.5 tho. I have a 4X4 Off Road, which means 16" wheels stock. From what I've read the RCD requires 17" after markets for proper back spacing, which means more cash! Major down side it seems with the RCD is the rear blocks. Does anyone have experience with both?
Old 12-29-2012, 11:26 PM   #174
3 7 Mafia
Quote:
Originally Posted by 650H1 View Post
awesome truck!! once you get glass bedsides it will look perfect!
Thanks!

I doubt ill do glass bedsides
Old 12-30-2012, 07:25 AM   #175
BORNWILDGUY is one of the sharper tools in the shedBORNWILDGUY is one of the sharper tools in the shedBORNWILDGUY is one of the sharper tools in the shedBORNWILDGUY is one of the sharper tools in the shedBORNWILDGUY is one of the sharper tools in the shedBORNWILDGUY is one of the sharper tools in the shedBORNWILDGUY is one of the sharper tools in the shedBORNWILDGUY is one of the sharper tools in the shedBORNWILDGUY is one of the sharper tools in the shedBORNWILDGUY is one of the sharper tools in the shedBORNWILDGUY is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force:
BORNWILDGUY's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by MWall View Post
Just finished reading the entire thread from the first post. The RCD looks great, I really like the way 4.5" looks. I have been doing research on lifts and am pretty much sold on the OME 3" "done right" (UCA's, brake lines, complete leaf packs). Several friends have OME lifts, one on a Jeep CJ and one on a Cherokee, both say the ride is better than stock. I do like the 4.5 tho. I have a 4X4 Off Road, which means 16" wheels stock. From what I've read the RCD requires 17" after markets for proper back spacing, which means more cash! Major down side it seems with the RCD is the rear blocks. Does anyone have experience with both?
Just sell your 16's and put the money towards the 17's.
Old 12-30-2012, 01:54 PM   #177
2013 DCSB 4x4
Jack Bond is on a distinguished road
Jack Bond's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrobson View Post
I pair like $1700 if I remember right for the kit. The rest was install.
So the install was only about $300, that is a great price. Places around here want 800-1000 for install.
Old 12-30-2012, 05:28 PM   #178
MWall is a glorious beacon of lightMWall is a glorious beacon of lightMWall is a glorious beacon of lightMWall is a glorious beacon of lightMWall is a glorious beacon of light
Air Force:
MWall's Tacoma Gallery
To be sure, the RCD setup doesn't require UCA's? Is it still "better" to go with UCA's tho? Also, if no new UCA's are needed, are there complete leaf packs available to go with the RCD? I do like the look, and if I could spend the 650 for a rear leaf instead of UCA's it seems more plausible. I have about 2500 to spend, tho I was hoping to include a bud built skid plate as well. (BTW- I plan on doing the install myself with a friend who has a complete shop) Is there welding required with the RCD? I'm really not trying to take over this post, I just have questions going into this. The OME set up is pretty straight forward, except the whole tires thing, which I'm going to ignore until the lift is done! ANy help is greatly appreciated.
Old 12-30-2012, 09:52 PM   #179
HOME!!!
solus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shed

solus's Tacoma Gallery
ALCAN can build you a set of custom springs... I plan on it when I get home. since these blocks suck!

UCAs are not required with any drop bracket lift.
Old 12-30-2012, 09:53 PM   #180
HOME!!!

solus's Tacoma Gallery
shouldn't be more than $600 probably less