Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

RCD 4.5 vs 3" other lift

View Poll Results: Is the 4.5 RCD worth the high cost ($2100) vs a 3" ($400)
3 inches is perfect for the look and upsizing 158 41.69%
3 inches is a better value than a 4.5 69 18.21%
4.5 kit is cool but not sure its worth the money 115 30.34%
4.5 + kits are not worth the cash if not off roading 37 9.76%
Voters: 379. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-11-2009, 11:41 AM   #1
2009tacomav6 is just really nice2009tacomav6 is just really nice2009tacomav6 is just really nice2009tacomav6 is just really nice
Navy:
2009tacomav6's Tacoma Gallery
RCD 4.5 vs 3" other lift

Is a 3 inch lift for 350 better or worse than spending 2100 for a 4.5 inch kit. Looking at both of the options out there and there is just a huge price gap in the +3 linch lifts... I do very little off roading, I just want to add bigger tires and add a little more aggressive look to the truck. I was looking at the 4.5 RCd install photos and I am not sure if its just the tires he has on there but the truck looks a little like a roller skate vs a nice aggreesive off road look.
Old 03-11-2009, 11:53 AM   #2
WoodsDweller
KraQr is one of the sharper tools in the shedKraQr is one of the sharper tools in the shedKraQr is one of the sharper tools in the shedKraQr is one of the sharper tools in the shedKraQr is one of the sharper tools in the shedKraQr is one of the sharper tools in the shedKraQr is one of the sharper tools in the shedKraQr is one of the sharper tools in the shedKraQr is one of the sharper tools in the shedKraQr is one of the sharper tools in the shedKraQr is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force:
Name: Dave
KraQr's Tacoma Gallery
Very good question. I had previously asked him for some different angle photos as I thought the truck looked unbalanced as well with those wheels/tires. I dont have an answer for you but I am considering the 4.5" RCD as well. Hope you get some good input here.

I highly doubt though that the quality of a $350 lift will rival that of the RCD at $2100 even though they accomplish a similiar goal.
Old 03-11-2009, 12:01 PM   #3
2009tacomav6 is just really nice2009tacomav6 is just really nice2009tacomav6 is just really nice2009tacomav6 is just really nice
Navy:
did you every get those photos? That is my biggest concern next to the cash output from the 2100 cost of the lift... I agree with you a full suspension lift will not doubt out perform the 350 3" kit but if the look is like the one photo we see I am not sure that is something that I like.... it just does not look good. While function is infact important, look is also important as I do a lot more regular driving than I do off roading...
Old 03-11-2009, 12:35 PM   #4
WoodsDweller
KraQr is one of the sharper tools in the shedKraQr is one of the sharper tools in the shedKraQr is one of the sharper tools in the shedKraQr is one of the sharper tools in the shedKraQr is one of the sharper tools in the shedKraQr is one of the sharper tools in the shedKraQr is one of the sharper tools in the shedKraQr is one of the sharper tools in the shedKraQr is one of the sharper tools in the shedKraQr is one of the sharper tools in the shedKraQr is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force:
KraQr's Tacoma Gallery
no pics as of yet. DSM must be busy, or forgot, or
Old 03-11-2009, 04:43 PM   #5
06Bluez has much to be proud of06Bluez has much to be proud of06Bluez has much to be proud of06Bluez has much to be proud of06Bluez has much to be proud of06Bluez has much to be proud of06Bluez has much to be proud of06Bluez has much to be proud of06Bluez has much to be proud of06Bluez has much to be proud of

06Bluez's Tacoma Gallery
You would have a lot more ground clearance with the 3" lift as opposed to the RCD 4.5" lift. The RCD lift is a drop bracket lift. If you are 2wd then I would recommend looking into the Camburg 4" spindles.

If you are 4wd and want more than a 3" lift then the drop bracket will be necessary.
Old 03-11-2009, 07:02 PM   #6
Navy:
good info! What tires are you runnig on that blue trick? They are looking nice.
Old 03-11-2009, 09:55 PM   #7
Living vicariously through everybody
derekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: TW'S Hippy Liberal
derekabraham's Tacoma Gallery
I think 3 inches is perfect.
Old 03-11-2009, 10:37 PM   #8
06Bluez has much to be proud of06Bluez has much to be proud of06Bluez has much to be proud of06Bluez has much to be proud of06Bluez has much to be proud of06Bluez has much to be proud of06Bluez has much to be proud of06Bluez has much to be proud of06Bluez has much to be proud of06Bluez has much to be proud of

06Bluez's Tacoma Gallery
285/65/r18 so basically 33" tires. the lift I have is 3" right now. But I have 4" camburg spindles sitting in my garage waiting to be installed!
Old 03-12-2009, 05:52 AM   #9
WoodsDweller

Air Force:
KraQr's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 06Bluez View Post
You would have a lot more ground clearance with the 3" lift as opposed to the RCD 4.5" lift. The RCD lift is a drop bracket lift. If you are 2wd then I would recommend looking into the Camburg 4" spindles.

If you are 4wd and want more than a 3" lift then the drop bracket will be necessary.

yes 4wd.

What do you consider a lot more ground clearance?

I cant find any documentation that the clearance difference will be greater than 1/2 - 1 inch with the drop bracket. You will easily make that back up with a taller tire size.

Im still educating myself on lifts so Im not questioning your answer, just looking for reasoning and where that is documented. I agree the differential would be slightly lower but if im not rock banging it anyway it shouldnt make a difference.

There are so many lifts in style, type, size out there you really need a guide just to understand all that goes into them. If im going to possibly put $2000 + into a lift project I want to educate myself on what is best for me and my driving intentions. Its a cluster of stuff to understand.

6" is to high for my taste, 3" just isnt enough for my flavor, 4.5" seems halfway enough to make sense. Like I said, Im still reading and learning along with most.

Im almost ready to give up and put a damn leveling kit on and save the extra money.
Old 03-12-2009, 10:25 AM   #10

06Bluez's Tacoma Gallery
The drop bracket is at least 4" lower. U can try and squeeze in a 35" tire for that extra ground clearance but with only 4.5" lift but you will have some serious rubbing issues.
Old 03-16-2009, 08:35 PM   #11
Custom Tacoma bumpers & more for your offroad toy
RelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Eric
RelentlessTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by OLDGEZR View Post
yes 4wd.

There are so many lifts in style, type, size out there you really need a guide just to understand all that goes into them. If im going to possibly put $2000 + into a lift project I want to educate myself on what is best for me and my driving intentions. Its a cluster of stuff to understand.

6" is to high for my taste, 3" just isnt enough for my flavor, 4.5" seems halfway enough to make sense. Like I said, Im still reading and learning along with most.

Im almost ready to give up and put a damn leveling kit on and save the extra money.
You kind of answer your own question here. You state that 3" isnt enough, and 6" is too much so it looks like the 4.5" RCD is the logical choice even with its price. It appears that with the RCD you really get what you pay for. If you dont want to spend that much, I reccomend getting some Coilovers if you're concerned about the best ride as compared to a 3" spacer lift. JMO
Old 03-30-2009, 08:55 AM   #12
Yep im that Peejay..
peejay is just really nicepeejay is just really nicepeejay is just really nicepeejay is just really nice

Navy:
Name: PJ
peejay's Tacoma Gallery
RCD Lift

For everyone that wants some pics of the new RCD lift. I will put some up later on this week or next. I am getting the lift put on mid week. Currently i have the Sway Away coil overs on there, and prior to that i had the spacer lift. So ill let you guys know as far the ride quality and such.

08 Double Cab 4x4
Old 03-30-2009, 10:31 PM   #13
nvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shednvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shednvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shednvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shednvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shednvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shednvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shednvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shednvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shednvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shednvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shed

nvdeserted's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by peejay View Post
For everyone that wants some pics of the new RCD lift. I will put some up later on this week or next. I am getting the lift put on mid week. Currently i have the Sway Away coil overs on there, and prior to that i had the spacer lift. So ill let you guys know as far the ride quality and such.

08 Double Cab 4x4
Sweet. Post some pics too.

By the way, anyone have a link to the RCD 4.5" info? I'm only finding stuff for Tundras. Thanks.
Old 03-30-2009, 10:50 PM   #14
Yep im that Peejay..
peejay is just really nicepeejay is just really nicepeejay is just really nicepeejay is just really nice

Navy:
peejay's Tacoma Gallery
For lifts on the tacoma. I am getting the RCD lift installed this week. I'll take pictures of it for you guys to see. It should look good with the 285/70/17 bfg's i have on there.

As for lifts it all depends on what you want to do. if you only take your truck off road every now and then nothing serious. Go with the spacer lift. I originally put that on my truck For under $2500 i had the lift, rims and tires and magnaflow cat back put on. The lift rode pretty good, there was alittle tire rub but not to bad. You do have to do some trimming on the inside. (285/70/17 bfg's)

I now have the 2.5 Sway Away's on there. Because my truck is 4x4 i only went up alittle over 2 inches because of the cv joints. (they were angled pretty good with the spacer to)

I would recommend changing the Upper Control Arms, to help with the camber. As the new tacoma's tend to drift alittle when they get lifted.
Old 04-08-2009, 06:56 PM   #15
Yep im that Peejay..

Navy:
peejay's Tacoma Gallery
Here's the pics of the RCD lift on my 08 4x4...its a really smooth ride. There's 12 inches of clearance from the bottom of the drop bracket. No rub on the 285/70/17's

Old 04-08-2009, 08:27 PM   #16
SoCal Tacomas
HBtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Oscar
HBtacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to HBtacoma
dudeeeeeeee that looks badasss!!!! i cant wait to get mine istalled. how much they charge u for the install and where?
Old 04-08-2009, 08:57 PM   #17
Yep im that Peejay..

Navy:
peejay's Tacoma Gallery
Thumbs up

bro pm me and i will give you the low down...
Old 04-09-2009, 02:15 AM   #18
RedTaco2134 will become famous soon enoughRedTaco2134 will become famous soon enough

Army: E-1
Name: Scott
RedTaco2134's Tacoma Gallery
I would get a 3" toytech, revtek. You can fit 285/70/17s, and still have plenty of flex.
Old 04-09-2009, 02:22 AM   #19
Mayor of TW
Delmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Vet
Name: Mike
Delmarva's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by peejay View Post
Here's the pics of the RCD lift on my 08 4x4...its a really smooth ride. There's 12 inches of clearance from the bottom of the drop bracket. No rub on the 285/70/17's

peejay -- could you take a picture of the notch in the crossmember?
Old 04-09-2009, 03:15 PM   #20
Yep im that Peejay..

Navy:
peejay's Tacoma Gallery
Talking

Bro this lift is insane. I ran the spacer on here, then i changed them out for the Sway Aways.. I absolutely love this lift...