1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Anyone know of vendors for THREADED billy 5100's?

Discussion in 'Suspension' started by Ktaco, Oct 21, 2013.

1. Oct 21, 2013 at 7:21 AM
    Ktaco

Ktaco [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    New Brunswick, Canada
    Vehicle:
    03 Black 4x4 TRD SR5 Xtra cab.
    Grey wire mod, Deck plate mod, diff breather mod. K&N air filter. Toytec coilovers. AAL. Custom rear lift shackles. diff drop. Centerforce clutch. Superwinch LP8500 with custom "behind bumper" mount. Winch solenoid relocation with in cab winch control. 33x12x15 Duratracs. Aisin manual hub swap.
    I've been searching around looking for replacement Billy 5100 struts for my blown Toytec coilovers. Problem is I have the older style coilover which has the threaded shock body and not just the sleeve that goes over a regular 5100.

I have contacted Toytec and they said they can get them but they are $199 per shock, not like the regular 5100's that are $199 for a set. So for $500 with tax and shipping I'd be better off just going with new coilovers for a bit more.

Anybody know of another place I may be able to get these?

2. Oct 21, 2013 at 7:22 AM
    Sublime

Sublime Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Phoenix, AZ
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD 4x4
    Icon/All Pro.....chopped for 35's
    Doesn't toytec warranty those?

3. Oct 21, 2013 at 7:29 AM
    Ktaco

Member:
    New Brunswick, Canada
    Vehicle:
    Grey wire mod, Deck plate mod, diff breather mod. K&N air filter. Toytec coilovers. AAL. Custom rear lift shackles. diff drop. Centerforce clutch. Superwinch LP8500 with custom "behind bumper" mount. Winch solenoid relocation with in cab winch control. 33x12x15 Duratracs. Aisin manual hub swap.
    That my be another option. I made a thread about it when I first blew them and was in contact with Toytec at that time. They said I could ship them the shocks and if Bilstein found that it was normal wear they would warranty them. Having other bills at the time I was hesitant to pay for shipping out old shocks from Canada to maybe get some new ones. Then right around the time I figured I would give it a try I rolled my truck. 1 year later it's fixed up and I want to get those coil spacers out of the front and get coilovers back on there.

Also I know that's what warranty is for but I kinda feel like a cheap ass sending back shocks that I've had for 5 years and got my money out of. Then again I guess I am a cheap ass for not wanting to pay $199 a shock haha.

4. Oct 21, 2013 at 7:40 AM
    Sublime

Sublime Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Phoenix, AZ
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD 4x4
    Icon/All Pro.....chopped for 35's
    I hear you but if they say lifetime warranty to never fail you in "normal conditions" then you're simply making them live up to their offer. I guess it depends on the conditions in which they blew? 50/50 they'll say it was your fault though. Keep saving your pennies for a good used set of coilovers. I sold my toytecs for $400 and bought a pair of Icons for $600 and 30k miles that haven't needed a rebuild until now (2+ years later with lots of use). Once they're re-built I'll have essentially a new set! Just something to think about for the long run!

5. Oct 21, 2013 at 8:00 AM
    Ktaco

Member:
    New Brunswick, Canada
    Vehicle:
    Well admittedly that was another reason I was putting off sending them in for warranty when I was offered it. I wasn't even sure if I wanted to put them back on my truck. I don't drive my truck easy but I wouldn't say I abuse it either. No jumping or anything. It was brought to my attention when I made the thread about them blowing that I had my coilovers cranked too high, likely leading to the failure.

Regardless, having any adjustable coilover is leaps and bounds better than the temporary top coil spacers that I have on now.

Link to thread of coilover failure: http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/1st-gen-tacomas/236371-toytec-coilover-failure.html

Last edited: Oct 21, 2013
  6. Oct 21, 2013 at 12:22 PM
    Ktaco

Member:
    New Brunswick, Canada
    Vehicle:
    I just took my coilovers apart this afternoon. It wasn't that fun to say the least. The road salt around here really does a number to things. Once the billy 5100's were out of the coils they don't look nearly as bad as they did when on the truck. They are not bent, they both just have no oil left in them at all so there is a considerable amount of side to side play in the rods.

I'm going to get a hold of Toytec again and see if I can ship them there to be submitted for warranty. I found the part # on the shocks to be "4307BE5-6930-H6" and I can't seem to find them anywhere on the internet including Bilstein's site.

Products Discussed in

To Top