1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

MOOG quality and some other info on Ball joints

Discussion in 'Suspension' started by Peru, Oct 22, 2013.

1. Oct 22, 2013 at 8:43 PM
    Peru

Peru [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jonathan
    Redmond WA
    Vehicle:
    SR5 -- V6 -- 2005 -- 4X4
    none
    Been doing some research and there seems to be a variety of opinions on the quality of MOOG joints which leads me to believe that there are other issues at play (installation and type of grease used).

here is an interesting link of manufacturers most of whom are Chinese. There are a few who do the 555 joints and at least one manufactures for MOOG

http://www.alibaba.com/ball-joints-manufacturers.html

Also here is a vid of a guy who doesn't feel MOOG should be called problem solver

http://youtu.be/s8ZVahKc06o

Ill be doing my joints next week and I wont be going with toyota due to cost -- here in MX its about 30% more. Ill be greasing with an over-based calcium sulfonate grease with 5% moly and a higher base oil viscosity than what the regular bearing grease would offer. Basically its a Caterpillar spec grease and based on my experience its the best for the job. Its what is used on heavy mining equipment. a 4 ball of 800kg, excellent water washout and excellent rust inhibiting characteristics. There are several manufacturers who sell this type of grease.

Can anyone offer some data on the miles they have on their joints and which ones they are. Ive decided to go with NAPA premium joints but I am curious.

Last edited: Oct 23, 2013
  2. Oct 22, 2013 at 8:55 PM
    Sublime

Sublime Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Phoenix, AZ
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD 4x4
    Icon/All Pro.....chopped for 35's
    I have MOOG ball joints in my Camburgs UCAs but the original owner installed them and machined dust caps with zerks. I keep them greased often and play plenty hard and they're still going strong.

3. Oct 23, 2013 at 5:23 AM
    Peru

Member:
    First Name:
    Jonathan
    Redmond WA
    Vehicle:
    SR5 -- V6 -- 2005 -- 4X4
    none
    I am curious.

What grease?

How many miles?

What do you have on the lowers?

Play hard? I assume there is mostly Dry and some wet are you doing fast dirt roads that are pothole infested or crawling around on rough terrain?

Last edited: Oct 23, 2013
  4. Oct 23, 2013 at 9:01 AM
    Sublime

Sublime Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Phoenix, AZ
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD 4x4
    Icon/All Pro.....chopped for 35's
    Whatever synthetic grease I get my hands on

20k miles +/-

Lowers are stock

Both fast dirt roads/wash with whoops and crawling with lots of flex

I'm running ext travel Icons with these camburg ball joint UCA's

5. Oct 23, 2013 at 9:07 AM
    desert guy

desert guy Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bryan Blagg
    o.c.
    Vehicle:
    toyota offroad truck
    FiberWerx Tacoma front fiberglass clip, currie rear 9 inch, 35 Spline axles, sick nicks fab steering, Beard Seats, King Coilovers, Bypass, & Hydraulic Bumpstops, DEAVER Springs
    Our old Class 7 Toyota race truck ran 1000's of miles with MOOG ball joints. They work very well and last!!! Whoever says they are not good is an idiot. (there are other good ball joints also out there besides MOOG though) So you do have options

6. Oct 23, 2013 at 9:12 AM
    steezemcqueen

steezemcqueen 4Runner Abuser

Member:
    First Name:
    Dylan
    Crawlarado
    Vehicle:
    1997 4Runner Turbo and 2006 Tacoma
    Unicorn fart injection system
    Moog quality has gone way down in the last couple years. My Moog lower ball joints were in worse shape after 25k miles compared to the 185k mile OEM ones that were on there before the Moogs

Aldog likes this.
  7. Oct 23, 2013 at 10:25 AM
    desert guy

desert guy Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bryan Blagg
    o.c.
    Vehicle:
    toyota offroad truck
    FiberWerx Tacoma front fiberglass clip, currie rear 9 inch, 35 Spline axles, sick nicks fab steering, Beard Seats, King Coilovers, Bypass, & Hydraulic Bumpstops, DEAVER Springs
    Wow, we finished a lot of races with those, even the Baja 500 about 6 years ago with MOOG. Maybe they have gotten shittier since then. I wouldn't be surprised. We run a 1450 truck now with all uniballs so I don't know these days:notsure:

8. Oct 23, 2013 at 10:40 AM
    Peru

Member:
    First Name:
    Jonathan
    Redmond WA
    Vehicle:
    SR5 -- V6 -- 2005 -- 4X4
    none

Check out the vid embedded in my original post. The guy does a good job of showing the short-commings of MOOG. Not sure if its just that model but i was pretty convinced not to go with MOOG. Ill take my chances with NAPA.

9. Oct 25, 2013 at 10:41 AM
    goufcustom

goufcustom 7.62x63mm

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    MD
    Vehicle:
    2021 4x4 TRD Sport DCLB
    Had an issue with some castle nuts that came with my outer tie rod ends, not being the correct thread, that I bought through Amazon, and found out MOOG won't warranty directly to the end customer... Same thing with a sway bar end link, had a grease fitting that wouldn't thread in, and same thing, MOOG said they wouldn't help, I had to return it and get a new one from the retailer...

Might be switching to DEEZA.

10. Oct 25, 2013 at 10:58 AM
    Pugga

Pugga Pasti-Dip Free 1983 - 2015... It was a good run

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    '19 Ford F-250 6.7 SCrew
    F-250 Land Yacht Mod
    I haven't had to mess with ball joints yet but I do think Moog quality control is lacking. I ordered 3 u-joints for my rear driveline from Rock Auto and they were the MOOG premium u-joints. I really only needed to replace the carrier bearing so I only NEEDED to remove one u-joint but figured I'd replace all 3 while the drive shaft was out and on a work bench. We replaced the carrier and went to press in the new u-joint, it was so damn tight the cross wouldn't turn, shit, figured we dropped a needle. Pressed it back out, took everything apart, looked great, no dropped needles, pressed it back in. We repeated this once more and finally tried one of the other u-joints I ordered (same part no, same order). That one fit just fine. In the end, we only replaced that one since there were obviously tolerance issues/variations in the new u-joints. Next time, I'll go with Spicer/OEM.

11. Oct 25, 2013 at 11:15 AM
    goufcustom

goufcustom 7.62x63mm

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    MD
    Vehicle:
    2021 4x4 TRD Sport DCLB
    And as I found out today, if you call MOOG, they are going to tell you not to order from RockAuto, as they are a "bad" online retailer, and you get what you pay for when you order the same part number from a low price online retailer; and MOOG won't warranty it...

12. Oct 25, 2013 at 11:18 AM
    Pugga

Pugga Pasti-Dip Free 1983 - 2015... It was a good run

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    '19 Ford F-250 6.7 SCrew
    F-250 Land Yacht Mod
    That's a load of crap, Moog parts of the same part number should be made to the same tolerances. Rock Auto warrantied the part anyways, I didn't even have to return it. I told them they didn't fit and they refunded me.

13. Oct 25, 2013 at 11:28 AM
    brutalguyracing

brutalguyracing BIG DADDY

Member:
    F.U> GUYZ
    broken mods
    i had a bad otre a few weeks ago....
    didn't try n send it back tho......
    i used mobil syn.....

and i wasn't happy about the smaller dia. thrust washer they supplied either for the inners....

and i would say there customer service sucks at best as well
    i have sent numerous emails regarding the part #'s for the grease-able lca bolts and the issue with the rears with no response

SHBCTacoma likes this.
  14. Oct 25, 2013 at 1:57 PM
    Peru

Member:
    First Name:
    Jonathan
    Redmond WA
    Vehicle:
    SR5 -- V6 -- 2005 -- 4X4
    none
    I agree. Why would they put their name on it if they claim its inferior. Rock Auto isn't selling boot-leg parts. That would be a lawsuit that they could not possibly win. If true that MOOG made that comment that = a BS story and is just one more reason not to go with MOOG. And you can bet that any part Rockauto takes back from a customer goes right back to MOOG who foots the bill.

I am feeling better about my decision not to go with MOOG.

15. Oct 26, 2013 at 5:56 PM
    ToyoTaco06

ToyoTaco06 Active Member

Member:
    BC
    Vehicle:
    06 Tacoma SR5 Short box
    6" Lift, 35's
    check out how the raybestos bj's are made and the quality of design. I would recommend them.

16. Oct 26, 2013 at 6:31 PM
    Rich91710

Rich91710 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    08 Base
    Satoshi with FJ badge, factory cruise, factory intermittent wipers, Redline Tuning hood-lift struts, Hellwig Swaybar, Rosen DVD-Nav
    If Rockauto is not an authorized reseller, Moog will not honor their normal warranty.
    Quite common.
    Same thing when you order a watch from Costco, and many New York camera shops.
    The warranty is only as good as Rockauto, that's who you will have to deal with if one fails.

As to the OP's alibaba reference to Moog being made in China, just because something is made in China does not mean that it is crap. The Chinese can make very high quality products if they are given the resources to do so.
    Products at Walmart are from production lines that are NOT given the resources to do so.
    Made in the US or China, you get what you pay for.

Last edited: Oct 26, 2013
  17. Oct 26, 2013 at 7:13 PM
    Peru

Member:
    First Name:
    Jonathan
    Redmond WA
    Vehicle:
    SR5 -- V6 -- 2005 -- 4X4
    none

I agree with the comment that Chinese does not necessarily = low quality.

I have a friend who recently bought some machining equipment and he has nothing but good things to say about the equipment and service. Also lets not forget that it wasn't too long ago that the perception was that Japanese = inferior quality to US made.

Products Discussed in

To Top