1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Help me decide! Leaf pack questions..I know, I know..

Discussion in 'Suspension' started by geekhouse23, Oct 24, 2013.

1. Oct 24, 2013 at 7:14 AM
    geekhouse23

geekhouse23 [OP] The "Liftman" - @DrFunker

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2GMGMDCSB4WDTRDFTMFW!! TL;DR
    mostly stock, grocery gettin' Prius
    I know this has been beaten to death in so may other threads, but I haven't really found an answer for what I am looking for.

In August, I purchased and installed the OME kit with the 2" AAL from HeadStrong Off-Road. Now, I am looking to upgrade to a new Leaf pack and I have a few questions:

1) I am getting the leaf pack w/ new bushings, extended rear brake lines, U Bolt Flip Kit and Wheeler's SuperBumps. Is there anything else that I will need?

2) Should I add an overload leaf or not? I have seen reports of 3"+ lift in the rear with the overload leaf. I don't mind a little rake but I am curious to know measurements from people who don't have the overload leaf versus people who do.

I don't think I plan on getting the overload. I only tow a 30' pontoon twice a year and the only other heavy item I can see hauling in the bed is a motorcycle. Once, my friends get rigs for off-roading, I will off-road more than tow. For those reasons, I can't see needing overloads. Maybe I am wrong?

EDIT:
    3) Dakar vs. All-Pro Standard or Expedition rear leaf pack

I know the concensus around here is that Dakars are AMAZING and in the past, TW hasn't steered me wrong once!

Just curious what people think of them versus Dakars? Measurements? Ride Quality? etc.

Thanks in advance for everyone's continued help.

2. Oct 24, 2013 at 7:16 AM
    Large

Large Red

Member:
    Never heard of iron man, but I have no complaints or regrets with the dakars (except a squeak here and there once in a while).

3. Oct 24, 2013 at 8:18 AM
    Mr Salty

Mr Salty "Give up the good to go for the great"

Member:
    First Name:
    Hermmy
    SoCal (Bro Capital of the world)
    Vehicle:
    White SR5 Pre-runner
    Lots of chrome
    Will the ubolt flip work with the Super Bumps? You could always get some energy bumps and mount them to the chassis instead.

I've read the Iron Man packs tend to flatten out fairly quick.

As for the OME packs, I don't think you'll need the added AAL at all and you can't really go wrong with a leak pack thats been around as long it has. Its very much so a proven pack at this point. Until I finish the rear of my truck I'll continue to run the Dakars, just popped these in the other day to replace other lift packs I had and were unhappy with. Ride is a lot better and the overloads will come in handy when I tow.

To clarify, you are not adding an over load to the OME pack, your are adding a standard leaf to make it 6 leafs within the first stage vs 5. The two over loads remain in place and come into play when the top stack begins to straighten out or take on too much weight.

Adding the HD leaf (the AAL add in your are referring to) will result in a lift above 3" unless you have some serious weight in the bed of you truck. Without weight in your truck at all times all you are going to do is stiffen the ride and gain too much lift.

Last edited: Oct 24, 2013
  4. Oct 24, 2013 at 8:43 AM
    hellsbay

hellsbay Well-Known Member

Member:
    SW Florida
    Vehicle:
    13 PreRunner TRD OR
    I just installed my new leaf pack from Alcan and am very happy with the way it handles on and off road. Bill at Alcan is easy to work with and does a great job. My spring pack was built to handle 200-400 pounds of tongue weight from a trailer and 200-300 lbs in the bed and truck. Honestly, it is smoother than the original 2013 springs with the AAL that Icon sent me to go with my Icon stage 4 suspension. Now I have a truck with no limitations off or on road and able to do actual work as a truck. I wish Toyota had a spring option right from the factory. It has taken me six months to figure this out and dial it in.

[​IMG]

5. Oct 24, 2013 at 8:44 AM
    geekhouse23

Member:
    Vehicle:
    So the dakars come with 5 leafs and 2 overloads and I was confused and thought I had to purchase them separate?

6. Oct 24, 2013 at 8:50 AM
    Large

Large Red

Member:
    They do sell extra overload leafs / AAL for the dakars is what I think you are referring to.

7. Oct 24, 2013 at 9:12 AM
    geekhouse23

Member:
    Vehicle:
    EDIT to OP: Dakars vs All-Pro leaf packs

8. Oct 24, 2013 at 9:23 AM
    SoCaltaco65

SoCaltaco65 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2011 DCSB 4x4 Offroad TRD
    if youre not carrying weight daily don't purchase the Expo's The standards are nice but flatten out quickly with weight carrying, with that said the All pro's flex extremely well. From what I have seen and heard the Dakars hold up a bit longer, have a good on road ride, off road well but dont flex as well as the all pros.

9. Oct 24, 2013 at 9:33 AM
    FATaco

FATaco Meh

Member:
    First Name:
    Friends call me Ginger
    Fairbanks
    Vehicle:
    07' TRD DCSB
    Dakars w/AAL, OME/886's, All Pro Front Bumper, Rear bumper, IFS skid, and UCA's. Superwinch Tigershark. Magnaflow muffler... vrooom
    The Dakars come with a total of 7 leafs. If you purchase the extra leaf, around $58 most places, you will have a total of 8 leafs. If you don't have a spacer on your front OME suspension then you probably don't want to add the extra leaf to the Dakars unless you want a little rake.

10. Oct 24, 2013 at 1:20 PM
    Mr Salty

Member:
    First Name:
    Hermmy
    Vehicle:
    White SR5 Pre-runner
    Lots of chrome
    Correct, the Dakars have 5 leafs that do the flexing and handle the bumps and 2 overloads to support the weight and work great for towing. They do real well preventing negative arch.

11. Oct 28, 2013 at 9:18 AM
    geekhouse23

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Sick truck!! :D This setup would be ideal for me. I haul my/my friend's motorcycles, dirt bikes etc in the bed. Also a 30' pontoon twice a year as mentioned in the OP. What shocks are you running in the rear?

UPDATE:

I don't think that I will be going with All Pro based on research, reviews, and my current/future needs.

I had reached out to Ryan at All Pro who stated I did need 9" travel shocks. Is this true for the dakars or Alcan (setup from hellsbay)? If so, All Pro is selling Fox 2.0 IFP Performance Series non-res shocks for $119 each. Is this a good deal?

I'd just hate to have to get rid of my OME shocks when they're only 2 months old. :(

12. Oct 28, 2013 at 9:47 AM
    Sublime

Sublime Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Phoenix, AZ
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD 4x4
    Icon/All Pro.....chopped for 35's
    OME shocks should work with dakars?

13. Oct 28, 2013 at 9:54 AM
    geekhouse23

Member:
    Vehicle:
    I know they should, I just have this OCD (cdo) about making sure everything will work together before I buy it to avoid headaches and frustration on my end. :rolleyes:

14. Oct 28, 2013 at 9:56 AM
    Large

Large Red

Member:
    OME rear shocks (N192 I think they are) are designed specifically for the dakars.

15. Oct 28, 2013 at 10:11 AM
    mandzach

mandzach Well-Known Member

Member:
    For offroad get the standard allpro, for towing get the Dakar. You will be happy with either but the Dakar will not perform offroad like the allpro due to the design.

16. Oct 28, 2013 at 10:18 AM
    geekhouse23

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Have you had both or experience with both? Do the all pro flatten quickly like SoCaltaco65 mentioned in post #8?

My goal is all around set up; to go off-roading and tow in the same day, for example, without having to worry about being limited under either activity.

17. Oct 28, 2013 at 10:28 AM
    Krazie Sj

Krazie Sj Resident Jackass

Member:
    First Name:
    Power Serge
    LV-426 (Acheron)
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD Off Road 4x4
    Borla Catback Exhaust, Snorkel, 33s on either 16's or 18's, ARB Bumper, All Pro LT w/Walker Evan Shocks front and back, All Pro expedition leaf pack, 10,000lb Superwinch, Intake Manifold Spacer, Bed Rack with ARB RTT, Rotopack and Hi Lift mounted, Husky Liner mats and an air freshener from 1995.
    Expos.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

With a full cube of wet clay and rock.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Half loaded.

Had no issues with the Expos unloaded, however it is like driving a 1 ton unloaded. But with any weight in the back it's like a Caddy.

18. Oct 28, 2013 at 10:50 AM
    Mr Salty

Member:
    First Name:
    Hermmy
    Vehicle:
    White SR5 Pre-runner
    Lots of chrome
    The statement about needing 9" travel shocks doesn't make sense at all, what you need to worry about is extended length and collapse length. Keep in mind this will vary by shock design and shocks with the same travel can measure differently with respect to extended and collapse length. So really travel has nothing to do with anything.

That said the OME rear shocks have about 9.5" of travel when I measured a set not too long ago at 4wheelparts. I can't remember what the extended and collapse length was though. I'm sure someone one here could chime in.

It would seem most practical to buy Dakars since the OME shocks were specifically valved to be used with them.

Last edited: Oct 28, 2013
  19. Oct 29, 2013 at 9:29 PM
    geekhouse23

Member:
    Vehicle:
    I think I figured out what I want to do and I hope it makes some sense :eek:

Near Future: (bought and installed by/during summer 2014) :pray:

Dakars (still towing, hauling, and not doing too much flexin')
    extended brake lines
    Toytec or All Pro UBolt Flip Kit
    Wheeler's SuperBumps

Once off-roading becomes a reality, affordable, and/or OME kit needs replacing:

Fox/Icons/Kings :drool: (undecided; have a while to weigh pros/cons and research TW)
    Expos or Alcans for flexin'

If anyone has any other input, it would be greatly appreciated!

20. Oct 30, 2013 at 8:41 AM
    Mr Salty

Member:
    First Name:
    Hermmy
    Vehicle:
    White SR5 Pre-runner
    Lots of chrome
    Sounds like a plan for sure

I hear the superbumps from Wheelers are real nice.

Products Discussed in

To Top