1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

piecing together good/cheap 6in need advice

Discussion in 'Suspension' started by 2006KJ, Oct 29, 2013.

1. Oct 29, 2013 at 5:59 PM
    2006KJ

2006KJ [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Front Royal VA
    My plan is to use a cheap spacer 6 inch kit, replace the spacers with quality coil overs, and a custom 4inch leaf pack in the rear. What company has the best DB kit for the front? i remember reading one was curved for increased ground clearance (fabtec?) and the other was squared off. i'd consider Fabtech, BDS, Pro comp, or rough country... is one of these superior over the other? Also can you buy JUST the front portion of the kit since i wont be using the rear spacers.

I'll be using coil overs instead of the spacers...

what coil overs can i use for the 6 inch spacer replacement? i think fox makes some?

finally for the rear i want a leaf pack to avoid any spacers.. most likely Alcan based on the great review ive read about them. a custom 4in or 6in pack would be ideal.

so.
    Front DB spacer lift - ?
    Coil overs to replace spacer - ?
    Rear leaf pack (4in or 6in) - Alcan?

this seems like the cheapest way to have a good quality 6 inch lift. instead of paying for the BDS 6 inch kit that comes with fox coil overs then adding a custom leaf pack to the rear.

any help would be greatly appreciated! i've researched a ton on here and found a lot of info in the 6inch pic thread. thats where i came up with the idea of a cheaper spacer kit and swapping for coil overs but i cant find that info again :mad:

is there any thing else i will need to make this idea work? (allpro u bolt flip, brake lines, ect..?) I already have a 1 piece double cardon tom woods drive shaft and Stealth Customs stealth 6 wheels. 17x8.5 with 4.30 BS and -10 offset. Will these wheels work with a 6in DB kit?

Last edited: Oct 29, 2013
  2. Oct 29, 2013 at 6:02 PM
    MGMTacolover55

MGMTacolover55 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Orygun
    Vehicle:
    2013 MGM Taco TRD Off Road
    floor Mats
    If I were you I would skip the six inch lift and go with Icon or Kings for a better lift and increased suspension travel

3. Oct 29, 2013 at 6:04 PM
    Bennett707

Bennett707 Station707

Member:
    Oregon
    Vehicle:
    No more taco life for me
    Good & cheap don't go togethor unless you are referencing konas mom.

4. Oct 29, 2013 at 6:29 PM
    Evenflow

Evenflow Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    San Diego, CA
    Vehicle:
    06' DCSB 4x4
    Yes
    Don't waste your money paying for the whole kit with the spacers most of the companies will sell each item in the kit separately.I pieced my PC together that way and they had pricing for every piece of the kit. Icon has a direct bolt in coil over for a 6" kit and you will want a 5" leaf pack to sit level. Contrary to how the kits are advertised they do NOT clear 35" tires unless you never turn your wheel. You will need to do the cab mount chop, flatten the pinch and trim a lot of plastic. If you take your time and do it right it will look clean. Do not have a shop do the trimming for you they will do it ugly. The arched DB's don't actually create any more clearance because they expose you dropped diff under that arch. The kits that have that arch usually come with a small skid to protect the exposed diff but I would rather have a flat DB that provided more protection. The ground clearance gained with the arch is false in my mind because of the exposed diff. I would not recommend the Fab Tech kit because their steering stops are ridiculous and your turning radius will be shit. I have run a Pro Comp front DB kit for 7 years with no issues. I don't think your wheels will work without spacers because all of the BD kits require an 18" wheel to clear the new spindles and the new tie rod end configuration. The tie rod ends are flipped on a DB kit which creates the need for a larger internal diameter rim. Don't gamble with the rim specs or you will find your self in the same shoes I was in 7 years ago having to buy new wheels on the spot unexpectedly.

5. Oct 29, 2013 at 7:11 PM
    MGMTacolover55

MGMTacolover55 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Orygun
    Vehicle:
    2013 MGM Taco TRD Off Road
    floor Mats
    Lol or OZ

6. Oct 29, 2013 at 10:15 PM
    2006KJ

Member:
    Front Royal VA
    Evenflow. Thanks for the great input. I'll try to call company by company and see who will sell just the parts I need. Maybe BDS will sell just the front DB and fox coil overs then I'd just need a leaf pack for the back. Good to know that pro comp will separate the parts. I'm not afraid to cut/trim whatever is necessary to run 35s. All in a days work.

I know a LT set up would be better but I don't wheel much at all maybe once or twice a year and not hard core ( have a 06 rubicon long armed on 35s for that). So I'm mostly concerned with on road handling. Soaking up large bumps. Mountain and dirt roads. Plus be able to tow a good amount and haul my dirt bike / zx10 without looking like a plane taking off

Last edited: Oct 29, 2013
  7. Oct 30, 2013 at 10:40 AM
    2006KJ

Member:
    Front Royal VA
    update.. rough county has the cheapest 6in spacer lift at $999 for front/rear they WILL NOT piece out the kit.

pro comp WILL piece out their kit but it would be more cost effective to just buy the entire kit.

fabtech- havent called yet will update

BDS- havent called yet will update

8. Oct 30, 2013 at 9:44 PM
    OZ-T

OZ-T You are going backwards

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    Mag Grey 09 Trd Sport DCLB 4x4
    OME 885x , OME shocks and Dakars , Wheelers SuperBumps front and rear , 275/70/17 Hankook ATm , OEM bed mat , Weathertech digifit floor liners , Weathertech in-channel vents , headache rack , Leer 100RCC commercial canopy , TRD bedside decals removed , Devil Horns by Andres , HomerTaco Satoshi
    I'm definitely good , but not even close to cheap

Products Discussed in

To Top