Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

BOSS suspension or TOYTEC ultimate

View Poll Results: BOSS suspension kit or TOYTEC ultimate lift kit
BOSS suspension 11 34.38%
TOYTEC ULK 21 65.63%
Voters: 32. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-02-2013, 06:47 PM   #21
ArMarine04 is a glorious beacon of lightArMarine04 is a glorious beacon of lightArMarine04 is a glorious beacon of lightArMarine04 is a glorious beacon of lightArMarine04 is a glorious beacon of lightArMarine04 is a glorious beacon of light
Marines:
Name: Alan
ArMarine04's Tacoma Gallery
The Boss system specificly says its better valved redesigned shocks for the Tacoma and the springs are Eibach. The front lift on this kit is different from the original ultimate kit that you are comparing it to.

So with that, shouldn't it be better than the original Ultimate lift and maybe avoid some of the concerns you are expressing?
Old 11-04-2013, 10:02 AM   #22
Sublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Sublime's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by BroliathTRD View Post
Dang... Callin me out man haha its cool, its true tho spend the little bit extra and you'll definitely be happier in the long run.[/QUOTE]

Sorry man, was just sharing your experience. No harm meant!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArMarine04 View Post
The Boss system specificly says its better valved redesigned shocks for the Tacoma and the springs are Eibach. The front lift on this kit is different from the original ultimate kit that you are comparing it to.

So with that, shouldn't it be better than the original Ultimate lift and maybe avoid some of the concerns you are expressing?
There's no way in hell the BOSS system is better than Icons. You're still looking at a slightly larger generic bilstein shock (still not as big as a 2.5" diameter coilover), with an off the shelf eibach coil and a top plate spacer added (don't know why they add that as if they couldn't get the correct length coils?). The valving is not that much different, probably not even noticeable. If you really want the BOSS system have at it man. Was just giving my experience and wish I would have just saved my money originally. The fact that you can get high end for the same price as a middle grade system is a no brainer but to each their own.
Old 11-08-2013, 01:57 AM   #23
ArMarine04 is a glorious beacon of lightArMarine04 is a glorious beacon of lightArMarine04 is a glorious beacon of lightArMarine04 is a glorious beacon of lightArMarine04 is a glorious beacon of lightArMarine04 is a glorious beacon of light
Marines:
http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/sus...k-leaking.html

See, like I said they all have onsies and twosies. I'm going to go with the BOSS set up and if there's some catostrophic failure in it, I'll be sure post about out and will graciously accept your "I told you so".
Old 11-08-2013, 04:43 PM   #24
IsaacG is on a distinguished road

IsaacG's Tacoma Gallery
I just installed the BOSS kit yesterday. So far I'm happy with it.
Old 11-08-2013, 09:16 PM   #25
Marines:
Quote:
Originally Posted by IsaacG View Post
I just installed the BOSS kit yesterday. So far I'm happy with it.
Do you have any pictures of it?
Old 11-08-2013, 10:06 PM   #26

IsaacG's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Do you have any pictures of it?
If you go to my pics I have a few
Old 11-08-2013, 10:25 PM   #27
1st Gen Tacoma Driver
NH03Tacoma is on a distinguished road

Law Enforcement: Federal Bureau of Prisons
Name: John
NH03Tacoma's Tacoma Gallery
I went with the ULK. What made me choose it over the BOSS was long term replacement parts. The BOSS kit has custom Toytec in-house built shocks designed by Toytec themselves. If for some obscure reason Toytec went by the wayside or I couldn't get ahold of them, my ULK has shocks that are available off the shelf from Bilstein. That plus the BOSS is $60 more for something that I wouldn't really notice. Whatever you choose. Please share pictures! Good luck!
Old 11-08-2013, 11:51 PM   #28
Marines:
Quote:
What options did you go with? I want to get a full 3 inches out of mine so I want the dakars and UCAs.

You should post some more feedback after a couple weeks or so and maybe a little off roading and let me know what you think.

I suppose the replacement parts if TOYTEC went out of business could be something to think about and if that slim chances happens I goes it's new front. Coils for me!!
Old 11-09-2013, 07:30 AM   #29

IsaacG's Tacoma Gallery
The only thing I went with was the silver coil. Eventually I will get the UCA's. Even without the Dakars the rear sits pretty level with the front and I went the full 3" upfront.
As soon as I get off road and have a little more hours on them I will definitely share my experience.
Old 11-24-2013, 11:47 PM   #30
Bennett4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBennett4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBennett4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBennett4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBennett4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBennett4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBennett4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBennett4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBennett4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBennett4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBennett4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Bennett
Bennett4's Tacoma Gallery
I went with the ulk, LR UCAs, and dakars and am very happy. Would do the same all over again.
Old 11-25-2013, 07:41 AM   #31
CowboyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedCowboyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedCowboyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedCowboyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedCowboyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedCowboyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedCowboyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedCowboyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedCowboyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedCowboyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedCowboyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed
CowboyTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
For those like me that don't want to make the extra click and want to see side by side comparison...

Before:

After:
Old 11-25-2013, 08:13 AM   #32
Marines:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bennett4 View Post
I went with the ulk, LR UCAs, and dakars and am very happy. Would do the same all over again.
How many miles do you have on it so far? I'm going to pull the trigger on the BOSS set up probably Thursday, just waiting around to see what other sales ToyTec will offer for black Friday.
Old 11-25-2013, 08:35 AM   #33

IsaacG's Tacoma Gallery
I'm about 3 weeks into my lift (BOSS) and i'm loving it. The ride is excellent, around town it feels better then factory, not to stiff when hitting the speed bumps or dips in the road.
Off road, again feels better then what was originally on.
The only thing i have noticed is a little vibration when i hit 15 mph, but does go away immediately...
I didn't go with the Dakars or 5160's....
Old 11-25-2013, 09:02 PM   #34
Marines:
Quote:
I'm about 3 weeks into my lift (BOSS) and i'm loving it. The ride is excellent, around town it feels better then factory, not to stiff when hitting the speed bumps or dips in the road.
Off road, again feels better then what was originally on.
The only thing i have noticed is a little vibration when i hit 15 mph, but does go away immediately...
I didn't go with the Dakars or 5160's....

Thanks for the update man, I really appreciate the feedback especially since not many ppl are running that set up yet!
Old 11-26-2013, 09:18 AM   #35

IsaacG's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Thanks for the update man, I really appreciate the feedback especially since not many ppl are running that set up yet!
No problem...
Old 11-29-2013, 09:42 PM   #36
CJD3112 is on a distinguished road
Law Enforcement: Local Law Enforcement
Name: Chris
CJD3112's Tacoma Gallery
Alan,

Keep us posted. I've just purchased a Taco and I'm very interested in your findings with the BOSS system. My buddy just installed the ICON Stage 4 last week on his 2013 Tacoma. He really hasn't had the time to experience this system yet and I wasn't able to help him with the install. I just don't have this type of coin to spend right before xmas on myself and was contemplating the BOSS vs the Ultimate. Thanks in advance.
Old 11-29-2013, 09:50 PM   #37
CJD3112's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by NH03Tacoma View Post
I went with the ULK. What made me choose it over the BOSS was long term replacement parts. The BOSS kit has custom Toytec in-house built shocks designed by Toytec themselves. If for some obscure reason Toytec went by the wayside or I couldn't get ahold of them, my ULK has shocks that are available off the shelf from Bilstein. That plus the BOSS is $60 more for something that I wouldn't really notice. Whatever you choose. Please share pictures! Good luck!
That's a valid point! Bilstein has been around for years.
Old 11-30-2013, 08:23 AM   #38
Marines:
CJD3112,

Toytec is a very reputable dealer and I trust their R&D is solid on this new set up they offer, IsaacG is the only person I've found on here that is running the BOSS set up on a second gen and you can see what he has to say about it. I can't wait to give you my own opinion on it. I ordered it yesterday and its on "backorder" so idk when I'll get it but that's ok I can wait.

I'm not worried about toytec going out of business and me being SOL if something happened, the shocks are rebuildable and any reputable shop should be able to work on them. IF is destroyed then it would be easy to find another set of coilovers that paired up well with the rear dakars. I have no worries about that.
Old 11-30-2013, 09:14 AM   #39
Sublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Sublime's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by CJD3112 View Post
Alan,

Keep us posted. I've just purchased a Taco and I'm very interested in your findings with the BOSS system. My buddy just installed the ICON Stage 4 last week on his 2013 Tacoma. He really hasn't had the time to experience this system yet and I wasn't able to help him with the install. I just don't have this type of coin to spend right before xmas on myself and was contemplating the BOSS vs the Ultimate. Thanks in advance.
You don't need the stage 4 to run Icons......non-resi coilovers and rear shocks is pretty close to same price as the BOSS system. Toytec's a good company but their R&D doesn't compare to the big race shock companies. I've been through 3 different suspensions on my truck trying to "save a few bucks" and finally did it right and it's apples to oranges comparison......night and day the way the truck rides too but some won't ever know.
Old 11-30-2013, 09:35 AM   #40
CJD3112's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sublime View Post
You don't need the stage 4 to run Icons......non-resi coilovers and rear shocks is pretty close to same price as the BOSS system. Toytec's a good company but their R&D doesn't compare to the big race shock companies. I've been through 3 different suspensions on my truck trying to "save a few bucks" and finally did it right and it's apples to oranges comparison......night and day the way the truck rides too but some won't ever know.
Thanks for your advice Sublime. Trust me, I plan on riding and possibly driving my buddies Taco with the Icons. Although I am brand new to TW, I've been reviewing this and other sites for weeks and I have not heard one person complain about the Icons. The thought has crossed my mind to purchase a set of UCA's from somewhere else (or use Icons tubular looking UCA's) and order a Stage I or II set from Icon.

I simply don't have the cash for the Stage 4 kit like my buddy just installed. But when Icons can be pieced together to be in a similar price range of the BOSS or Ultimate, than my mind needs to wonder a little more.