TOYTEC ULK 21 65.63%
Voters: 32. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-31-2013, 03:52 AM   #1
ArMarine04 is on a distinguished road
Marines:
Name: Alan
ArMarine04's Tacoma Gallery
BOSS suspension or TOYTEC ultimate

Which one would you choose? There isn't a lot of information or people with first hand experience with the BOSS kit, it looks very promising I'd just like to hear more about it and why it would or wouldn't be better than the toytec ULK.

Either option I plan to upgrade the UCA and the Dakar rear.

BOSS: http://toyteclifts.3dcartstores.com/...coma_p_15.html

TOYTEC ULK: http://toyteclifts.3dcartstores.com/...ma_p_1062.html
Old 11-01-2013, 03:16 AM   #2
Sublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Sublime's Tacoma Gallery
Neither.....I'd save a few more $$ and get Icons non-resi with the Dakars. It's hand down million times better on and off road. I had the Ult kit and traded it for Icons.
Old 11-01-2013, 03:23 AM   #3
Quack Addict
monstertaco12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmonstertaco12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmonstertaco12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmonstertaco12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmonstertaco12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmonstertaco12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmonstertaco12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmonstertaco12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmonstertaco12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmonstertaco12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmonstertaco12 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

monstertaco12's Tacoma Gallery
What does your budget look like?
Old 11-01-2013, 04:08 AM   #5
Marines:
My budget is about $2,000 for everything and both of those lifts are just over the budget to include the Dakar rear and the LR UCA.

I want to achieve a full 3" lift and I want the Dakar rear (I think the stock leafs are terrible and sag to easily under load) so those are musts.

I want the best lift for my budget and from what I see those are the two best options.
Old 11-01-2013, 05:01 AM   #6
Sublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Sublime's Tacoma Gallery
I had a spacer at 3" and didn't need UCA's. Alignment was good and CV's normal. Could get those down the road? My Toytecs rode like bricks compared to icons but its up to you. Not knocking toytech as they're a good company but seems TW defaults to them or OME when there's other options in similar price range. Also, diff drop isn't needed for 2nd gens.
Old 11-01-2013, 06:27 AM   #7
CowboyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedCowboyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedCowboyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedCowboyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedCowboyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedCowboyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedCowboyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedCowboyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedCowboyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedCowboyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedCowboyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed
CowboyTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Why not go Icon Stage I with the Dakars? I would think that would be within, or close to, your budget. It doesn't give you the UCA, but you could just have them set a little lower until you can add that later.
Old 11-01-2013, 06:39 AM   #8
Running For Mayor of TW
richardbui23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrichardbui23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrichardbui23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrichardbui23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrichardbui23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrichardbui23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrichardbui23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrichardbui23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrichardbui23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrichardbui23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrichardbui23 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Richard
richardbui23's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by CowboyTaco View Post
Why not go Icon Stage I with the Dakars? I would think that would be within, or close to, your budget. It doesn't give you the UCA, but you could just have them set a little lower until you can add that later.
this also shop around i remember seeing a few threads that are doing icon 20% off sale with free shipping and no sales tax or something like that GL with the lift and dont forget to take before and after pictures

edit: http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/gro...th-dec3rd.html
Old 11-01-2013, 06:45 AM   #9

Sublime's Tacoma Gallery
WOW, that's a really sick deal!
Old 11-01-2013, 09:00 AM   #10
CowboyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedCowboyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedCowboyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedCowboyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedCowboyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedCowboyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedCowboyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedCowboyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedCowboyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedCowboyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedCowboyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed
CowboyTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by CowboyTaco View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by richardbui23 View Post
this also shop around i remember seeing a few threads that are doing icon 20% off sale with free shipping and no sales tax or something like that GL with the lift and dont forget to take before and after pictures

edit: http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/gro...th-dec3rd.html
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sublime View Post
WOW, that's a really sick deal!
And there you have it!
Old 11-01-2013, 09:13 AM   #11
Gelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Gelo760's Tacoma Gallery
If you want to be like a boss go boss.
Old 11-01-2013, 08:52 PM   #12
Marines:
I contact Toytec about thier lifts within my budget and threw in the Radflo set up too and this is what they had to say:

--------------------------------------------------

It sounds like you are on the right track and i don't think you can go wrong with any of those options. I will highlight some differences for you between those kits

Ultimate Lift: This is already assembled and uses Bilstein shocks. The front coilovers have a threaded sleeve that fits over the shock which means you can adjust it from 1-3 inches of lift and anywhere in between. This kit is works really well if you are planning on adding weight in the future since you can turn the adjustment up once you add the weight and not have to disassemble the front shocks and/or swap to heavier springs

BOSS System:
The BOSS system is pretty much the same as the Ultimate with the exception of the front coilovers. We build that shock ourselves and we tweaked the valving to ride better and have more control over bumpier terrain. The shock also has a larger diameter shaft so there is a significant increase in strength and it is rebuildable as well. Instead of a threaded sleeve on the shocks like in the Ultimate, the shock body itself is threaded which is easier to adjust.

The Radflo's are more of a high end race style coilover. They will perform better under high speed offroad situations but they do require more maintenance than the Bilstein's that are used in the Ultimate Lift or the Boss kit. Bilstein's are a maintenance free design where the Radflos require rebuilds periodically. The BOSS coilovers are rebuildable but do not require it as often as the Icon or Radflo setups would. However it all depends on how the truck is used. If you truck sees a lot of heavy offroading, the Radflo setup would be my recommendation. Otherwise I think the BOSS or Ultimate would probably be a better fit.

Let me know if you have any other questions

Thank you

Dylan
Sales and Tech Support Manager
Old 11-01-2013, 10:54 PM   #13

Sublime's Tacoma Gallery
Dude, of course they're going to recommend their own product. With 20% off the icon package is same price range. There's a reason most guys on here don't run Radflows. They're an ok product but not as good as Icon, Fox or King. You won't be rebuilding your coilovers frequently as they say you will.....its a sales pitch. You have to weight the pros and cons. The BOSS sounds like a tweeked version of the Baja Kit......Icon still wins hands down!

The irony is the on road ride of icons digressive valving is hands down smoother than the others. I know, I had them and I'm a picky bastard. The valving makes them smooth as butter as higher speeds. Which is why driving down the street at 45 or freway at 65+ feels so damn good. Pavement wheeling man! With Toytecs you'll be slowing down and less controled. Off road was the same as they were stiff and not valved right.

Don't be like this guy after 30k http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/sus...k-sagging.html
Old 11-01-2013, 11:29 PM   #14
Marines:
I'm not looking into Icon's and to get everything I want at once it is twice the price and it better be better than the the kits I'm asking about.

Every product will have its onesies and twosies with the customer satisfaction and problems.

To be fair to toytec I did primarily only want to know about their two brand specific kits anyways, I just threw the Radflos in just because they are in the same ball park price.

I've only found on thread about someone installing the Boss system on thier Tacoma and it was on a first gen. If no one on here has that system then maybe I'll be the guinea pig and try that set up, its the one I'm leaning towards.

I appreciate all the input however I'd like to just get info/input on the kits I've asked about.

thanks everyone
Old 11-02-2013, 01:40 AM   #15

Sublime's Tacoma Gallery
Just trying to help a brother out!

$2,038 BOSS w/ LR UCA's and OME springs......(will still be charged shipping and taxes)

$2,138 Icon Stage 1 (20% off w/ free shipping & taxes) w/ LR UCA's and OME springs
Old 11-02-2013, 02:33 AM   #16
Marines:
Damnit, that's compelling haha did you piece all that together from Demello?

Quote:
Just trying to help a brother out!

$2,038 BOSS w/ LR UCA's and OME springs......(will still be charged shipping and taxes)

$2,138 Icon Stage 1 (20% off w/ free shipping & taxes) w/ LR UCA's and OME springs
Old 11-02-2013, 04:18 AM   #17

Sublime's Tacoma Gallery
Went demello on the Icon stage 1 and UCA's and dakars from toytec. You could always ask demello if they sell those items but didn't see them on their website.

(Ask toytec for a TW discount to save some on shipping the springs)
Old 11-02-2013, 05:07 AM   #18
Marines:
I looked through your stats and saw you ran TOYTEC coil overs for awhile. Just a quick look but I appeared you had good things to say about them. What made you change your setup. What were you thoughts while you had them. How did they perform on/off road?

Quote:
Went demello on the Icon stage 1 and UCA's and dakars from toytec. You could always ask demello if they sell those items but didn't see them on their website.

(Ask toytec for a TW discount to save some on shipping the springs)
Old 11-02-2013, 06:30 AM   #19

Sublime's Tacoma Gallery
I did like them at first coming from my spacer lift. Off road I noticed they were riding rough and had to slow down to 10mph since they seemed to not handle bumby terrain well. 5100's in general are valved very generic and soft which translates to crap offroad IMO. On road they started feeling rough too over pot holes and cracks. At that point I found some used Icons that had new re-rebuilt and did the swap. Once I put the Icons on there was a noticable difference in handling both on and offroad. At that point I was pretty dialed in to what I wanted my truck to feel like (or should feel like). They're like butter and can handle everything I throw at them.....the faster the better too. On the plus side I know when the time comes I can get them re-built and have a brand new shock. Also, can dial in the valving (softer/firmer for high speed or low speed) or swap to a heavier spring for armor. The possibilities are endless!
Old 11-02-2013, 11:24 AM   #20
Stay thirsty my friends
BroliathTRD is a glorious beacon of lightBroliathTRD is a glorious beacon of lightBroliathTRD is a glorious beacon of lightBroliathTRD is a glorious beacon of lightBroliathTRD is a glorious beacon of light

Air Force: Fire Fighter
Name: Jake
BroliathTRD's Tacoma Gallery
Don't be like this guy after 30k http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/sus...k-sagging.html[/QUOTE]

Dang... Callin me out man haha its cool, its true tho spend the little bit extra and you'll definitely be happier in the long run.