Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

5100 vs. Readylift

Old 03-13-2009, 06:05 PM   #1
Don't go ninja'in nobody don't need ninja'in
Buzzoff has much to be proud ofBuzzoff has much to be proud ofBuzzoff has much to be proud ofBuzzoff has much to be proud ofBuzzoff has much to be proud ofBuzzoff has much to be proud ofBuzzoff has much to be proud ofBuzzoff has much to be proud ofBuzzoff has much to be proud of

Buzzoff's Tacoma Gallery
5100 vs. Readylift

Sorry, I tried searching to compare the 2 and it's gotten to the point where everythings just blending together and making me more confused.

I have a 2009 Tacoma DC TRD. I had the rear suspension TSB done about 2 weeks ago. I want to level out the front and leave the rear as is. Eventually I want to run 265/75/16 but I don't see this happening for awhile.

I thought I was set on getting the 5100's for the front and keeping the rear shocks stock. I had not decided between 1.75 or 2.5.

I went to a local shop today and asked about the 5100's and was told that they really haven't done any with the 5100. The salesperson told me they do a lot of the Readylift level kits and quoted me a price for parts/install/alignment. **note** I went in to see what ballpark I was looking at. This shop is known to be expensive, but I was just curious to see what they said.

Here's my dilemma............

I figured Bilstein 5100 for the front would run me about $189+$200 or so for install and alignment for a total somewhere around $450-500 (if I am correct)

The shop quoted my the Readylift for $250+200 install+70alignment for total somewhere around $520+.

It got me thinking that the 2 options were fairly close in price. I'm basically want a small lift for looks. I drive a ton of highway miles everyday (114 miles/day) and don't want to compromise the nice ride I have now. I seldom tow and only take it off-road to feed my cows in the pasture (I live on a hundred acres and far from being rough terrain)

Given the two options, what would you choose. Better quality? Better ride? Vibrations? About the same? Pros/cons of each?

My initial thoughts are the 5100's. If I recall, there are some that are not found of spacers? Why is this?

I am open to other options as well. I am trying to stay close to this proce range. Once again sorry...I tried putting off this post by searching and searching, but I just got to a point where I just said what the heck!! Thanks
Old 03-13-2009, 06:19 PM   #2
bishes love my haircut
Gr8WhiteTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedGr8WhiteTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedGr8WhiteTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedGr8WhiteTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedGr8WhiteTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedGr8WhiteTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedGr8WhiteTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedGr8WhiteTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedGr8WhiteTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedGr8WhiteTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedGr8WhiteTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Aaron
Gr8WhiteTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via Skype™ to Gr8WhiteTaco
I would go with the 5100's because they just seem to be of a better quality than spacers. And if it's gonna be cheaper for that shop to do the 5100's for less, then do that. just thought i'd give you my $00.02.
Old 03-13-2009, 07:03 PM   #3
SC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Grant
SC4333's Tacoma Gallery
The 5100s would get my vote.

The problem you get with a readylift style kit (spacer on top of the assembly) is when the suspension cycles to full droop, you risk over extending the shock absorber and causing damage to the shock. The benefit to this kit is that it will retain your factory spring rate, thus giving you the factory ride quality.

I went with a Revtec kit (spacer inside of the assembly) which also has its problems. Although you don't run into the issue of over extending your front shocks, the kit will change the spring rate due to a more compressed spring. This in turn will cause a rough ride that many people find unpleasant.

If I went back and did it all over, I would never even consider a spacer lift. I have been very dissatisfied with the spacer lift. As soon as money permits, I plan on ditching the spacer kit for a OEM coil and shock setup.
Old 03-13-2009, 07:21 PM   #4
Living vicariously through everybody
derekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: TW'S Hippy Liberal
derekabraham's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Eventually I want to run 265/75/16 but I don't see this happening for awhile.

You can run that tire size without any modifications. Unless you meant you don't see them happening because of the money.
Old 03-13-2009, 08:09 PM   #5
Enjoying my addiction
roxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedroxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedroxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedroxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedroxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedroxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedroxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedroxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedroxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedroxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedroxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

roxspin72's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via Yahoo to roxspin72
Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzoff View Post
Sorry, I tried searching to compare the 2 and it's gotten to the point where everythings just blending together and making me more confused.

I have a 2009 Tacoma DC TRD. I had the rear suspension TSB done about 2 weeks ago. I want to level out the front and leave the rear as is. Eventually I want to run 265/75/16 but I don't see this happening for awhile.

I thought I was set on getting the 5100's for the front and keeping the rear shocks stock. I had not decided between 1.75 or 2.5.

I went to a local shop today and asked about the 5100's and was told that they really haven't done any with the 5100. The salesperson told me they do a lot of the Readylift level kits and quoted me a price for parts/install/alignment. **note** I went in to see what ballpark I was looking at. This shop is known to be expensive, but I was just curious to see what they said.

Here's my dilemma............

I figured Bilstein 5100 for the front would run me about $189+$200 or so for install and alignment for a total somewhere around $450-500 (if I am correct)

The shop quoted my the Readylift for $250+200 install+70alignment for total somewhere around $520+.

It got me thinking that the 2 options were fairly close in price. I'm basically want a small lift for looks. I drive a ton of highway miles everyday (114 miles/day) and don't want to compromise the nice ride I have now. I seldom tow and only take it off-road to feed my cows in the pasture (I live on a hundred acres and far from being rough terrain)

Given the two options, what would you choose. Better quality? Better ride? Vibrations? About the same? Pros/cons of each?

My initial thoughts are the 5100's. If I recall, there are some that are not found of spacers? Why is this?

I am open to other options as well. I am trying to stay close to this proce range. Once again sorry...I tried putting off this post by searching and searching, but I just got to a point where I just said what the heck!! Thanks
Okk first off, screw that shop. Ordered mine $199 plus tax. shop charged $100 to install. And better yet after working on my truck for a bit, it is a very doable install for the avg joe with basic tools.

I liked the readylift. Allowed me to run 285/75/16's w/minor trimming. I've recently upgraded to 5100's set at 2.5" cause I needed that extra 1/4" after some spring sag...

Besides the spring sag after 1 year running, the readylift gets the job done. Just sold them to a member on this site, and the looked as if they were new.

5100's on the other hand are a whole other level, because you are not just lifting, you are also improving shock valve; therefore increasing dampening capability. They ride awsome, and even fully preloaded @ 2.5", it's an upgrade over any spacer lift...

DSM has some of the best prices, and this is also a DIY job
Old 03-15-2009, 08:03 AM   #6
bass turds
Veccster is one of the sharper tools in the shedVeccster is one of the sharper tools in the shedVeccster is one of the sharper tools in the shedVeccster is one of the sharper tools in the shedVeccster is one of the sharper tools in the shedVeccster is one of the sharper tools in the shedVeccster is one of the sharper tools in the shedVeccster is one of the sharper tools in the shedVeccster is one of the sharper tools in the shedVeccster is one of the sharper tools in the shedVeccster is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Eric
Veccster's Tacoma Gallery
I had the TSB done on my 09DC and plan on 5100's on all 4 corners. I'm going to set the front to 1.75" to level the truck. Eventually, I may get a rear AAL and raise the front to 2.5" (and possibly some new wheels).

My research told me to stay away from any spacer kits. I don't off-road either and prefer my soft ride.
Old 03-16-2009, 05:10 AM   #7
Burns is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurns is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurns is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurns is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurns is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurns is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurns is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurns is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurns is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurns is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurns is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Burns's Tacoma Gallery
I know everyone hates top load spacers but I went and got a set form Hell Bent Steel 2.5 inch spacer for$70 shipped to my door.Linky to site I plan on installing them myself.