Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

FOX 2.0 shocks? Budget Upgrade?

View Poll Results: Which kit would be a happy medium of cost vs. performance?
Fox 2.0 18 46.15%
Bilstein 5100 8 20.51%
Adjustable 5100 2 5.13%
Assembled 5100 0 0%
Man up, waste your savings, drop 2k on your truck. YOLO 11 28.21%
Voters: 39. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-14-2013, 03:52 PM   #1
StuckinOhio is a glorious beacon of lightStuckinOhio is a glorious beacon of lightStuckinOhio is a glorious beacon of lightStuckinOhio is a glorious beacon of lightStuckinOhio is a glorious beacon of lightStuckinOhio is a glorious beacon of light
Name: Mark
StuckinOhio's Tacoma Gallery
FOX 2.0 shocks? Budget Upgrade?

So I am considering upgrading my coilovers and rear shocks to the fox 2.0 performance series. My truck is a street queen DD. I don't pre-run or huck it because well lets face it im in ohio. I recently upgraded the wheels and tires from the steel dunflops and now it rides pretty rough. I dont plan on lifting it, just leveling it .5-1 in. I am a buy once cry once kind of guy. But cant really justify extended travel 2.5 and adjustable compression rears for my application. What do you guys think?
I have free 6 month alignment so i didn't factor that cost in.

Fox 2.0 series
Fronts: $690
Rear:$220
total: $910
Pros: bolt on kit. drop LCA and you're done, front and rear done for under 1k, can sell complete set of stock coilovers to regain some pennies
cons: higher price, Significantly higher then bilstein 5100

bilstein 5100:
total: $310 + dealing with switching coils over.
Pros: cheap alternative, highly recommended
Cons: pay someone to switch coils or con a friend to bum a ride to town. Deal with coil compressor, or buy coil compressor Not as good as fox?

bilstein 5100 adjustable:
front:$620
rear: ????
Lets be honest, this kit is ridiculously overpriced for the same shocks
not an viable solution.

Assembled 5100 with springs:
fronts: $600
pros: assembled
cons: fox price range....
Old 11-15-2013, 10:15 AM   #2
Jeffsdeere is on a distinguished road
EMS: Life Saver
Name: Jeff
Jeffsdeere's Tacoma Gallery
I've been very indecisive on new shocks for a long time. I have looked at these more than a couple times but have never seen a review from anyone about them. With the icon sale coming up over Black Friday, I think I'm just going to pull the trigger on a stage 1 kit. It is a couple hundred more but I think it is probably the best. Unless of course, someone puts something else on sale. Then it's back to square one again
Old 11-16-2013, 04:48 AM   #3
StuckinOhio is a glorious beacon of lightStuckinOhio is a glorious beacon of lightStuckinOhio is a glorious beacon of lightStuckinOhio is a glorious beacon of lightStuckinOhio is a glorious beacon of lightStuckinOhio is a glorious beacon of light
I have been following the icon sale as well. I think progressive will suit me needs better though. I have considered their rear shocks that can be used for 0-2.5" lift. But doubt I will ever lift and would like to stick to one brand front/rear. I'm really surprised there is so little info/reviews on the 2.0 series.
Old 11-18-2013, 09:57 AM   #4
AKA Crash Bandicoot
ChamYota is one of the sharper tools in the shedChamYota is one of the sharper tools in the shedChamYota is one of the sharper tools in the shedChamYota is one of the sharper tools in the shedChamYota is one of the sharper tools in the shedChamYota is one of the sharper tools in the shedChamYota is one of the sharper tools in the shedChamYota is one of the sharper tools in the shedChamYota is one of the sharper tools in the shedChamYota is one of the sharper tools in the shedChamYota is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: National Guard: Infantry/ROTC Cadet
Name: Cam
ChamYota's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by StuckinOhio View Post
I have been following the icon sale as well. I think progressive will suit me needs better though. I have considered their rear shocks that can be used for 0-2.5" lift. But doubt I will ever lift and would like to stick to one brand front/rear. I'm really surprised there is so little info/reviews on the 2.0 series.
I agree my friend, i had the same predicament you had, i ended up getting the fox 2.0 performance coilovers and the matching rear shocks to boot, ended up being around 800$(DSM had a killer deal at the time)

Im installing the suspension on friday so i'll have a review to add when that comes since literally no one has any real info on them.. thats active on the site anyway.
Old 11-18-2013, 10:26 AM   #5
TMACTacoma is on a distinguished road
TMACTacoma's Tacoma Gallery
I currently have the bilstein 5100 adjustables and am looking to change it to the fox 2.0 coilovers. The 5100's are a little rough for me, although I do not off road that much, I would like a smoother ride. Another thing you have to worry about is if you do plan to level it out then the stock Upper Control Arms may not be what you want. I leveled the front of my truck out and it drives like crap on the freeway due to the alignment always being off because the stock UCA's aren't made to be leveled. So I would recommend that you get upper control arms as well otherwise you will be going back and forth in your lane on the freeway. Hope that helps.

And yes ChamYota if you could review those shocks then that would be great!
Old 11-18-2013, 10:28 AM   #6
AKA Crash Bandicoot
ChamYota is one of the sharper tools in the shedChamYota is one of the sharper tools in the shedChamYota is one of the sharper tools in the shedChamYota is one of the sharper tools in the shedChamYota is one of the sharper tools in the shedChamYota is one of the sharper tools in the shedChamYota is one of the sharper tools in the shedChamYota is one of the sharper tools in the shedChamYota is one of the sharper tools in the shedChamYota is one of the sharper tools in the shedChamYota is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMACTacoma View Post
I currently have the bilstein 5100 adjustables and am looking to change it to the fox 2.0 coilovers. The 5100's are a little rough for me, although I do not off road that much, I would like a smoother ride. Another thing you have to worry about is if you do plan to level it out then the stock Upper Control Arms may not be what you want. I leveled the front of my truck out and it drives like crap on the freeway due to the alignment always being off because the stock UCA's aren't made to be leveled. So I would recommend that you get upper control arms as well otherwise you will be going back and forth in your lane on the freeway. Hope that helps.

And yes ChamYota if you could review those shocks then that would be great
!
I will try and take them wheeling a little bit as theres a good trail near where we are gonna install them. No worries brother!
Old 11-18-2013, 11:05 AM   #8
FatTony415 is on a distinguished road

Name: Tony
FatTony415's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I was all ready to order an OME lift, but now I am seriously considering the Fox 2.0 shocks. The cost of the Fox setup is comparable to the OME, the coilover is adjustable, and well, it's Fox. I've been using Fox forks on my MTBs since 2005 and I currently own two F29s - they're the best, hands down. I know that doesn't necessarily translate into trucks, but Fox definitely knows suspension.
Old 11-18-2013, 11:10 AM   #9
AKA Crash Bandicoot

Quote:
Originally Posted by FatTony415 View Post
I was all ready to order an OME lift, but now I am seriously considering the Fox 2.0 shocks. The cost of the Fox setup is comparable to the OME, the coilover is adjustable, and well, it's Fox. I've been using Fox forks on my MTBs since 2005 and I currently own two F29s - they're the best, hands down. I know that doesn't necessarily translate into trucks, but Fox definitely knows suspension.
I did exactly that, i was gonna get OME, but decided to go fox, i could adjust as need be, the ride will be better, it's rebuildable to adjust to your particular preferences, i liked the customizable aspect of it.

Fox forks on MTB are sweet as well.
Old 11-18-2013, 03:49 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChamYota View Post
I did exactly that, i was gonna get OME, but decided to go fox, i could adjust as need be, the ride will be better, it's rebuildable to adjust to your particular preferences, i liked the customizable aspect of it.

Fox forks on MTB are sweet as well.
How much lift did you get on the front with the Fox 2.0? Did you have to adjust the preload to level the truck, or was it good out of the box? Did the rears provide any lift on their own?
Old 11-18-2013, 03:55 PM   #11
HBtaco02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBtaco02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBtaco02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBtaco02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBtaco02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBtaco02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBtaco02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBtaco02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBtaco02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBtaco02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBtaco02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Allen
HBtaco02's Tacoma Gallery
If you don't off road don't waste the money. Buy the billies. If you were off roading the truck then King. Icon. Fox.
Old 11-18-2013, 04:11 PM   #12
AKA Crash Bandicoot

Quote:
Originally Posted by FatTony415 View Post
How much lift did you get on the front with the Fox 2.0? Did you have to adjust the preload to level the truck, or was it good out of the box? Did the rears provide any lift on their own?
Ahh sorry i must have made the impression that i already installed them, im installing them friday

my current measurements are

20.5 Front
22.5 Rear.
Old 11-18-2013, 05:23 PM   #13

OK, post some pics if you can. I'm probably gonna say fuck it and order the Foxes tomorrow from DSMS.
Old 11-18-2013, 06:02 PM   #14
RedDead will become famous soon enough
RedDead's Tacoma Gallery
OP start a group buy on the fox's i'm down..haha
Old 11-18-2013, 08:52 PM   #15
I actually just emailed DSM to see if i can find out what the deals for Black Friday will be. Im buying rear shocks ASAP. I just installed methods and toyos and i get bad bump chatter. OH/PA/NY are the the worst states for potholes/road patches. I agree i'm sort of biased to fox's I've ridden some nice mtb's with them and have been impressed with them on my friends quad.
Old 11-18-2013, 08:56 PM   #16
TMACTacoma is on a distinguished road
TMACTacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChamYota View Post
I will try and take them wheeling a little bit as theres a good trail near where we are gonna install them. No worries brother!
Awesome! Can't wait to hear how they are!
Old 11-19-2013, 02:50 AM   #17
PMK is one of the sharper tools in the shedPMK is one of the sharper tools in the shedPMK is one of the sharper tools in the shedPMK is one of the sharper tools in the shedPMK is one of the sharper tools in the shedPMK is one of the sharper tools in the shedPMK is one of the sharper tools in the shedPMK is one of the sharper tools in the shedPMK is one of the sharper tools in the shedPMK is one of the sharper tools in the shedPMK is one of the sharper tools in the shed

PMK's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I actually just emailed DSM to see if i can find out what the deals for Black Friday will be. Im buying rear shocks ASAP. I just installed methods and toyos and i get bad bump chatter. OH/PA/NY are the the worst states for potholes/road patches. I agree i'm sort of biased to fox's I've ridden some nice mtb's with them and have been impressed with them on my friends quad.

And FWIW, I have ridden & worked on FOX MX stuff since the 70's, ridden & worked MTB stuff since the mid 90's, while I looked at getting them for the truck, I was always haunted by all the issues of dealing with FOX.

I narrowed it down to Kings or ICON. While FOX products get good support from their vendors, ICON has been easy to deal with both from the vendor I purchased from and also when I have spoken to ICON direct.

So the truck rides on ICONs and the Ventana tandem MTB rides on a Fox 40 and DHX 5 air.

Best of luck with the small bore 2.0 Foxes.

PK
Old 11-26-2013, 01:11 PM   #18
NewRider is one of the sharper tools in the shedNewRider is one of the sharper tools in the shedNewRider is one of the sharper tools in the shedNewRider is one of the sharper tools in the shedNewRider is one of the sharper tools in the shedNewRider is one of the sharper tools in the shedNewRider is one of the sharper tools in the shedNewRider is one of the sharper tools in the shedNewRider is one of the sharper tools in the shedNewRider is one of the sharper tools in the shedNewRider is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Travis, Truck: Baja
NewRider's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
So I am considering upgrading my coilovers and rear shocks to the fox 2.0 performance series. My truck is a street queen DD. I don't pre-run or huck it because well lets face it im in ohio. I recently upgraded the wheels and tires from the steel dunflops and now it rides pretty rough. I dont plan on lifting it, just leveling it .5-1 in. I am a buy once cry once kind of guy. But cant really justify extended travel 2.5 and adjustable compression rears for my application. What do you guys think?
I have free 6 month alignment so i didn't factor that cost in.

Fox 2.0 series
Fronts: $690
Rear:$220
total: $910
Pros: bolt on kit. drop LCA and you're done, front and rear done for under 1k, can sell complete set of stock coilovers to regain some pennies
cons: higher price, Significantly higher then bilstein 5100

bilstein 5100:
total: $310 + dealing with switching coils over.
Pros: cheap alternative, highly recommended
Cons: pay someone to switch coils or con a friend to bum a ride to town. Deal with coil compressor, or buy coil compressor Not as good as fox?

bilstein 5100 adjustable:
front:$620
rear: ????
Lets be honest, this kit is ridiculously overpriced for the same shocks
not an viable solution.

Assembled 5100 with springs:
fronts: $600
pros: assembled
cons: fox price range....

I haven't read through your whole thread yet but... Why in the hell would 5100 adjustables cost you I've $600 just upfront?!!! Ive got em on my Xmas list from amazon for $200 including shipping?!!
Old 11-27-2013, 01:59 AM   #19
Cornfed
95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: jake
95 taco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewRider View Post
I haven't read through your whole thread yet but... Why in the hell would 5100 adjustables cost you I've $600 just upfront?!!! Ive got em on my Xmas list from amazon for $200 including shipping?!!
5100's are $180 from DSMS (down south motorsports) with free shipping
plus coils ~$160 for OME coils
Plus the $100 assemble charge from wheelers, and that's $440 without shipping, taxes, and whatever else he adds to the cart
Old 11-27-2013, 04:57 AM   #20
I was referring to these assembled ones:

http://toyteclifts.3dcartstores.com/...rs_p_363.html#

I know you can get the regular front & rears for around 300