1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Towing: Dakar vs. Icon AAL and air bag

Discussion in 'Suspension' started by skisailbike, Nov 21, 2013.

1. Nov 21, 2013 at 12:42 PM
    skisailbike

skisailbike [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Colorado/Alaska
    Vehicle:
    '14 4x4 DCSB OffRoad
    Icon 2.5 ET coilovers, LR UCAs, Dakars, Icon 2.0 RR ET Rear Shocks
    I'm planning my suspension upgrade for my DCSB 4x4, and I had decided on going with an Icon stage 2 system, but with Dakars on the rear instead of the Icon AAL. I will be towing a boat and a camper quite a bit, and I don't want the bro lean when towing.

I had the package priced out with one of the TW vendors, then contacted a second TW vendor to get another quote. The second vendor advised against going with the Dakars because they have a lower rated capacity than the stock rear springs. This was news to me, as I was under the impression that the Dakars are pretty popular for trucks that will be towing a lot or loaded down with a topper and other gear.

This vendor suggested that I either:

A) Contact a custom spring shop such as Alcan and have them build a suitable rear spring pack or

B) Get the Icon AAL and use the money saved over Dakars to add an air assist system

Any thoughts from owners who have first hand experience with these setups?

2. Nov 21, 2013 at 12:58 PM
    Mademan925

Mademan925 Senor Taco

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Discovery Bay, CA
    Vehicle:
    2014 4x4 TRD OFFROAD DCSB
    enough to go over stuff
    Ill put my dakars against a stock leaf pack any day. I have 7 leafs on each side compaired to the stock 4. Ive put a 1000 pounds in the bed and the back barely goes down.

3. Nov 21, 2013 at 1:07 PM
    MadToy

MadToy Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Huntersville, NC
    Vehicle:
    07 Midnight Blue TRD
    OME 886, Dakar leafs, LR UCA's, 16x8.5 Level 8 ZX, 315 MTR Kevlar, All-Pro sliders, BudBuilt skids, Undercoverhwms winch mount, Warn M8000 with synthetic rope, ATO Hi-Lift bed mounts, Diff locker override, Hitch harness relocated to bumper, Undercover bed cover, Gromm Aux adapter, Grillcraft grill, DT pipe bombs, Custom Magnaflow exhaust, Brute Force HC bumper, TRD Supercharger
    I call bullcrap! I tow a small camper (~3500 lbs), and the dakars barely sink with the 300+ lb tongue weight - and it tows great.

IMAG0213_6946a1204ce3e604388c39375468c58753ed8bd7.jpg

4. Nov 21, 2013 at 1:38 PM
    skisailbike

Member:
    Colorado/Alaska
    Vehicle:
    '14 4x4 DCSB OffRoad
    I was surprised to be told the Dakars aren't the way to go. They didn't even try to sell me anything else, even though they carry just about every option you can imagine for rear suspensions. Seemed really odd.

5. Nov 21, 2013 at 2:10 PM
    OZ-T

OZ-T You are going backwards

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    Mag Grey 09 Trd Sport DCLB 4x4
    OME 885x , OME shocks and Dakars , Wheelers SuperBumps front and rear , 275/70/17 Hankook ATm , OEM bed mat , Weathertech digifit floor liners , Weathertech in-channel vents , headache rack , Leer 100RCC commercial canopy , TRD bedside decals removed , Devil Horns by Andres , HomerTaco Satoshi
    Dakars haul my 200 lb commercial cap and 250 lbs of tools every day with only about 3/4" of squat compared to unloaded

6. Nov 21, 2013 at 3:35 PM
    skisailbike

Member:
    Colorado/Alaska
    Vehicle:
    '14 4x4 DCSB OffRoad
    That's what I was thinking. My boat trailer has about 400lb tongue weight, and I always have some gear in the bed. An inch of sag should put me about level when towing.

7. Nov 22, 2013 at 5:41 PM
    BillJC

BillJC Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    Novato, CA
    Vehicle:
    2011 White SR5 DCLB 4x4
    I have the Icon 3 leaf AAL and Firestone Airbags. I've towed about 6K lbs and the only issues I had, besides the lack of power, was brakes. With the airbags, you can adjust the suspension to the payload. Everyday, I keep them around 5-10psi and the ride isn't effected. When I put weight back there or tow, I add about 30-40psi and it makes all the difference in the world. Of course, I don't have any experience with Dakars, but they were high on the list if I didn't get the airbags.

Products Discussed in

To Top