Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

What is the best 3 inch Suspension lift?

Old 12-02-2013, 06:17 AM   #1
Cross2fit is on a distinguished road
Name: Scott
Cross2fit's Tacoma Gallery
What is the best 3 inch Suspension lift?

All,

I have purchased a 2013 Tacoma DCSB 4X4 and would like to get a decent 3 inch suspension lift. I am just getting started and would like to hear your thoughts. I have read several threads and I think I am all over the place right now.

The vehicle will be used on and off road. Off road use will be low to moderate for now as I am new to Southern California. I am on a budget and would like to remain around $1,500.00 including install if possible. Your thoughts or comments would greatly be appreciated.

Any ideas of where to go within San Diego to have it installed would be great also.

Just looking for a no Sh!t assessment.

Everything I have read thus far on TW is great but I am just lost when it comes to lifts.
Old 12-02-2013, 06:19 AM   #2
Monster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Corey
Monster Coma's Tacoma Gallery
Icon stage 1 with wheelers AAL.. buy some beer and get TW members to help you install
Old 12-03-2013, 08:30 PM   #4
jfdtruckman is on a distinguished road
Firefighter:
jfdtruckman's Tacoma Gallery
Cross2fit I feel just like you. I joined this site to learn more bout what I'd like to do to my 07 double cab 4x4 and after a week of browsing and looking at builds to my liking, I've feel like there are 100 different ways of getting the same result! I'm hoping to get more info on the various 3" lifts available, with the pros/cons of several brands myself with some general costs of such. Also, are there other mods that can complete a lift job that will not come with just putting a quality lift and tires on the vehicle?
Old 12-03-2013, 11:02 PM   #5
RileySB
rileySB is one of the sharper tools in the shedrileySB is one of the sharper tools in the shedrileySB is one of the sharper tools in the shedrileySB is one of the sharper tools in the shedrileySB is one of the sharper tools in the shedrileySB is one of the sharper tools in the shedrileySB is one of the sharper tools in the shedrileySB is one of the sharper tools in the shedrileySB is one of the sharper tools in the shedrileySB is one of the sharper tools in the shedrileySB is one of the sharper tools in the shed

EMS:
Name: Gen
rileySB's Tacoma Gallery
I know this may sound crazy- but I love my 5100s/887 set up with 1.5" AAL set in the rear. It settled to just about 3" including some beefy sliders on and my alignment came out within spec. The whole suspension upgrade cost me 700 bucks shipped from Wheelers and it rides way better than stock. Got it installed for free by some buddies, and then 50 bucks for alignment. I don't do heavy duty rock crawling but I do enjoy taking it off road which is why I opted to save some money on this setup instead of doing the OME full kit or the ICON stage 1 suspension (which was $1100 through Demello I think til 12/3). By saving money I was able to get some new rims and save some weight. You are right- there are 100+ ways to get a 3" lift…. My pros were saving money in order to do other mods (which was to get 5 wheels and now a aftermarket IFS skid). The cons? So far none...I'm sure I'll get the bug to upgrade to ICON or something beefier down the line…but with that- you'll have the bug to get a new UCA, bigger tires, etc. Just have to make sure not to ride in someone's truck that has an ICON/Fox/King setup I looked at the multiple threads on suspension, narrowed it down to Billys vs OME and then shot YotaDan an email asking for help choosing. He is a great resource! Good luck with your suspension plans.
Old 12-09-2013, 01:50 PM   #6
Biznitch15 is on a distinguished road

Navy: PO2
Name: José
Biznitch15's Tacoma Gallery
I'm gonna go with an Icon Stage 4. Don't have it yet but sometime this year.
Old 12-09-2013, 07:54 PM   #7
dxpsman is one of the sharper tools in the sheddxpsman is one of the sharper tools in the sheddxpsman is one of the sharper tools in the sheddxpsman is one of the sharper tools in the sheddxpsman is one of the sharper tools in the sheddxpsman is one of the sharper tools in the sheddxpsman is one of the sharper tools in the sheddxpsman is one of the sharper tools in the sheddxpsman is one of the sharper tools in the sheddxpsman is one of the sharper tools in the sheddxpsman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: 0321
Name: Brandon
dxpsman's Tacoma Gallery
I'm interested in what you guys come up with here. I'm in the same boat. The Tacoma almost demands a three inch lift, but soooo many options out there.
Old 12-10-2013, 10:17 PM   #8
There are so many options. I just trying to get the best bang for the buck and have a decent suspension that I can install myself.
Old 12-11-2013, 03:31 PM   #9
Dan
YotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Dan
YotaDan's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cross2fit View Post
There are so many options. I just trying to get the best bang for the buck and have a decent suspension that I can install myself.
If you go with an OME or OME/Bilstein setup and have the shocks/coils pre-assembled. It will make the install much easier since you won't have to mess with a spring compressor.
http://wheelersoffroad.com/product/o...for-05-tacoma/
Old 12-11-2013, 03:34 PM   #10
Running For Mayor of TW
richardbui23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrichardbui23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrichardbui23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrichardbui23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrichardbui23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrichardbui23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrichardbui23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrichardbui23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrichardbui23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrichardbui23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrichardbui23 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Richard
richardbui23's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monster Coma View Post
Icon stage 1 with wheelers AAL.. buy some beer and get TW members to help you install
x2. if i had to do it over this is what i would've done except with a new leaf pack
Old 12-11-2013, 03:36 PM   #11
Senor Taco
Mademan925 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMademan925 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMademan925 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMademan925 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMademan925 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMademan925 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMademan925 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMademan925 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMademan925 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMademan925 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMademan925 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Nick
Mademan925's Tacoma Gallery
I PM'd you the other day but I'll post this for others
MY LIFT
3" lift kit with Bilstein 5100s and toytec Coilovers with Dakar leaf pack and 5160s
http://toyteclifts.3dcartstores.com/...ers_p_364.html

I love my lift. I've had the lift on sand, deep snow, mud, and even rock crawled. No problems. It also rides smooth on the road. If you plan on a lot of off-roading the consensus on TW is to get the old man emu lift. (link below)
Old man emu lift
http://toyteclifts.3dcartstores.com/...kit_p_231.html
Old 12-11-2013, 05:34 PM   #12
Hellmutt is a splendid one to beholdHellmutt is a splendid one to beholdHellmutt is a splendid one to beholdHellmutt is a splendid one to beholdHellmutt is a splendid one to beholdHellmutt is a splendid one to behold

Name: Jason
Hellmutt's Tacoma Gallery
Subscribed. I'm due for shocks anyway, so I figured it would be best to invest in a small lift to level the truck and allow for a bit larger tires. 3" is the most I plan for until I get a taller garage
I'm wondering if the AALs increase the payload and tongue capacity at all?

Edit - found my answer...

Quote:
Add-A-Leafs - This type of lift consists of an additional Leaf spring that has an increased arc. They added lift by increasing the curve of your rear stock spring pack. They also allow added load capacity for hauling.
Old 01-03-2014, 12:15 PM   #13
Just picked up a set of Fox coil overs. Can't wait to get home and test drive my truck.
Old 01-06-2014, 03:30 PM   #14
...It Hurts when I Pee...
AWF ROWD is one of the sharper tools in the shedAWF ROWD is one of the sharper tools in the shedAWF ROWD is one of the sharper tools in the shedAWF ROWD is one of the sharper tools in the shedAWF ROWD is one of the sharper tools in the shedAWF ROWD is one of the sharper tools in the shedAWF ROWD is one of the sharper tools in the shedAWF ROWD is one of the sharper tools in the shedAWF ROWD is one of the sharper tools in the shedAWF ROWD is one of the sharper tools in the shedAWF ROWD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: ParaRescue-SpecOPs
Name: Doc
AWF ROWD's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cross2fit View Post
All,

I have purchased a 2013 Tacoma DCSB 4X4 and would like to get a decent 3 inch suspension lift. I am just getting started and would like to hear your thoughts. I have read several threads and I think I am all over the place right now.

The vehicle will be used on and off road. Off road use will be low to moderate for now as I am new to Southern California. I am on a budget and would like to remain around $1,500.00 including install if possible. Your thoughts or comments would greatly be appreciated.

Any ideas of where to go within San Diego to have it installed would be great also.

Just looking for a no Sh!t assessment.

Everything I have read thus far on TW is great but I am just lost when it comes to lifts.
As you can see you will get a bunch of different setup ideas, everyone has their favorites, and a lot it depends on how much you are willing to spend, TW members have a ton of experience with every possible modification available to our trucks. If you are having trouble picking a set up, my suggestion is to spend as much time as you can reading up on threads related to suspension/lifts, and take your time picking a setup, you get what you pay for with suspension parts...Do yourself a favor, save yr pennies and buy a solid-tried and tested lift. Check this link out:
http://toyteclifts.3dcartstores.com/...5-Up_c_11.html

This also has some great info to help answer some questions:
http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/sus...uide-read.html