LSC15's 95 Tacoma 4x4

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

Flattened alginment gusset tab. Need advice on the TC gussets

Old 12-05-2013, 09:04 AM   #41
Dark Lord of the Sith
wrmathis is one of the sharper tools in the shedwrmathis is one of the sharper tools in the shedwrmathis is one of the sharper tools in the shedwrmathis is one of the sharper tools in the shedwrmathis is one of the sharper tools in the shedwrmathis is one of the sharper tools in the shedwrmathis is one of the sharper tools in the shedwrmathis is one of the sharper tools in the shedwrmathis is one of the sharper tools in the shedwrmathis is one of the sharper tools in the shedwrmathis is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Instructor: AAAB/Bravo Co 1-210 AVN REGT/128th AVN BDE (Provisional)
Name: Ryan Mathis
Location: Lives: Newport News, VA(soon to be Ft. Carson)/Home: Leesburg, GA
wrmathis's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via ICQ to wrmathis Send a message via Yahoo to wrmathis
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4runnercaged View Post
we used an air chisel and a press and they came out pretty easy for me, as in 10 minutes..
i guess i just dont see the need to get new arms just cause of bushings, but to each their own.
Oh I'm not sayin buy new arms. Just a lot of people don't have an air chisel and press readily available.

When I did mine we burned out the bushings then had to cut the metal sleeve then hit it out with punch and hammer. Took time but it worked. Putting the new bushings in with a ball joint press they went in easily
Old 12-05-2013, 10:05 AM   #42
BRING INFRA BACK
4runnercaged is one of the sharper tools in the shed4runnercaged is one of the sharper tools in the shed4runnercaged is one of the sharper tools in the shed4runnercaged is one of the sharper tools in the shed4runnercaged is one of the sharper tools in the shed4runnercaged is one of the sharper tools in the shed4runnercaged is one of the sharper tools in the shed4runnercaged is one of the sharper tools in the shed4runnercaged is one of the sharper tools in the shed4runnercaged is one of the sharper tools in the shed4runnercaged is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: cody
4runnercaged's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ruggedT View Post
Dont know if you figured out your problem. I tacked all 4 of my adjusters in place. Nothing was holding them since the tabs were flat and they had the wrong size cams. Figured if I needed another alignment I would cut the tacks with a dremmel or something. Or just buy new set of cam's... found them for like $30. They never moved after the tack's.

For the bushings. Use a muffler/panel cutter on the air chisel. Just cut the bushing steel and punch it inward with the hole on the bottom. Do not grease them when you re-install

thats the exact bit we used on the air chisel, you can fold the sleeve in on its self and it will come out

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrmathis View Post
Oh I'm not sayin buy new arms. Just a lot of people don't have an air chisel and press readily available.

When I did mine we burned out the bushings then had to cut the metal sleeve then hit it out with punch and hammer. Took time but it worked. Putting the new bushings in with a ball joint press they went in easily
op said he is doing it at a dealership, so thats me assuming they have that stuff lol

burning them out sounds like a good idea to add to the list!!
Old 12-05-2013, 10:27 AM   #43
the risk is worth the reward
mattmxracer is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattmxracer is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattmxracer is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattmxracer is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattmxracer is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattmxracer is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattmxracer is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattmxracer is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattmxracer is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattmxracer is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattmxracer is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: matt
mattmxracer's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4runnercaged View Post
thats the exact bit we used on the air chisel, you can fold the sleeve in on its self and it will come out

op said he is doing it at a dealership, so thats me assuming they have that stuff lol

burning them out sounds like a good idea to add to the list!!
Thanks for all the advice. Planning on bending tab back and pressing bushings out and putting new ones in. That seems like the cheapest fix.
Old 12-05-2013, 10:41 AM   #44
BRING INFRA BACK
4runnercaged is one of the sharper tools in the shed4runnercaged is one of the sharper tools in the shed4runnercaged is one of the sharper tools in the shed4runnercaged is one of the sharper tools in the shed4runnercaged is one of the sharper tools in the shed4runnercaged is one of the sharper tools in the shed4runnercaged is one of the sharper tools in the shed4runnercaged is one of the sharper tools in the shed4runnercaged is one of the sharper tools in the shed4runnercaged is one of the sharper tools in the shed4runnercaged is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattmxracer View Post
Thanks for all the advice. Planning on bending tab back and pressing bushings out and putting new ones in. That seems like the cheapest fix.
yeah buddy! you are welcome.
let us know how it goes!
Old 12-05-2013, 11:30 AM   #45
The Sticker Guy
ruggedT is one of the sharper tools in the shedruggedT is one of the sharper tools in the shedruggedT is one of the sharper tools in the shedruggedT is one of the sharper tools in the shedruggedT is one of the sharper tools in the shedruggedT is one of the sharper tools in the shedruggedT is one of the sharper tools in the shedruggedT is one of the sharper tools in the shedruggedT is one of the sharper tools in the shedruggedT is one of the sharper tools in the shedruggedT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

ruggedT's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Good luck with the press.... 12ton press I have wouldn't touch them
Old 12-05-2013, 12:26 PM   #46
BRING INFRA BACK
Quote:
Good luck with the press.... 12ton press I have wouldn't touch them
i remember we knocked them out with a air hammer and put them back in with a press.

now that i look back i think we tried a press too, to get them out, but it wouldnt line up properly or some shit.

hopefully it works worry free for you, and you have $300 in your pocket still.
Old 12-05-2013, 02:05 PM   #47
the risk is worth the reward
mattmxracer is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattmxracer is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattmxracer is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattmxracer is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattmxracer is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattmxracer is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattmxracer is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattmxracer is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattmxracer is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattmxracer is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattmxracer is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: matt
mattmxracer's Tacoma Gallery
Going to dealer next week to get this done. I went to tighten my lca bolts and whoever did it last had them at 85ft lbs. I put them at 115lbs and they all seemed to move fine. Maybe it wont be to bad after all
Old 12-05-2013, 02:12 PM   #48
NetMonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedNetMonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedNetMonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedNetMonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedNetMonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedNetMonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedNetMonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedNetMonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedNetMonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedNetMonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedNetMonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shed

NetMonkey's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
4. Have welder bend only tab that is bent back and align for around 100 dollars. ( and pray the heat from the weld will not burn the bushing.
I had 2 tabs bend over on my truck the last time I had an alignment done. I took the truck to a welder and he bent back the 2 tabs and welded all 4 tabs on the rear sides of the lower control arms. he charged $80. it was quick, easy, and I don't have to worry about it anymore. (and the bushings are ok.)
Old 12-05-2013, 02:24 PM   #49
PMK is one of the sharper tools in the shedPMK is one of the sharper tools in the shedPMK is one of the sharper tools in the shedPMK is one of the sharper tools in the shedPMK is one of the sharper tools in the shedPMK is one of the sharper tools in the shedPMK is one of the sharper tools in the shedPMK is one of the sharper tools in the shedPMK is one of the sharper tools in the shedPMK is one of the sharper tools in the shedPMK is one of the sharper tools in the shed

PMK's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Going to dealer next week to get this done. I went to tighten my lca bolts and whoever did it last had them at 85ft lbs. I put them at 115lbs and they all seemed to move fine. Maybe it wont be to bad after all
If the bolts are loose, the arm will slip and bend the tabs. If the hit is hard enough to slip the clamping force on the bushing sleeve, it will bend the tabs.

The tabs are there to allow alignment, basically a surface for the cam to push against. Once set, the alignment is held by the bolts being tight.

PK
Old 01-29-2014, 09:57 AM   #50
Runner
Wishbone Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedWishbone Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedWishbone Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedWishbone Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedWishbone Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedWishbone Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedWishbone Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedWishbone Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedWishbone Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedWishbone Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedWishbone Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: James
Wishbone Runner's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Dont know if you figured out your problem. I tacked all 4 of my adjusters in place. Nothing was holding them since the tabs were flat and they had the wrong size cams. Figured if I needed another alignment I would cut the tacks with a dremmel or something. Or just buy new set of cam's... found them for like $30. They never moved after the tack's.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NetMonkey View Post
I had 2 tabs bend over on my truck the last time I had an alignment done. I took the truck to a welder and he bent back the 2 tabs and welded all 4 tabs on the rear sides of the lower control arms. he charged $80. it was quick, easy, and I don't have to worry about it anymore. (and the bushings are ok.)
Thread bump, do you have any pics of the welds? did you reinforce with another piece of steel, or just use the existing tab? Mine are flat, and I think if I bend them back, they will snap off. I was thinking of just cutting them off and then using like a 3/16" x 3/16 x 1" piece on each side and laying it in there with a bead. If you can do this, what is the point of taking everything apart for the TC tabs, seems like a lot of work for something that could be accomplished much easier.
Old 01-29-2014, 10:22 AM   #52
BRING INFRA BACK
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremy_283 View Post
Like this...
i tried that too, went through about the same amount as you too then gave up till the next day when my dad brought home a plasma cutter
Old 01-29-2014, 10:27 AM   #54
NetMonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedNetMonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedNetMonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedNetMonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedNetMonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedNetMonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedNetMonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedNetMonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedNetMonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedNetMonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedNetMonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shed

NetMonkey's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wishbone Runner View Post
Thread bump, do you have any pics of the welds? did you reinforce with another piece of steel, or just use the existing tab? Mine are flat, and I think if I bend them back, they will snap off. I was thinking of just cutting them off and then using like a 3/16" x 3/16 x 1" piece on each side and laying it in there with a bead. If you can do this, what is the point of taking everything apart for the TC tabs, seems like a lot of work for something that could be accomplished much easier.
I don't have any pictures. the guy I had do the work gently bent the tabs back in place and just laid a bead behind the tabs. it was super easy. for me, $80 was worth the time and effort.
Old 01-29-2014, 10:42 AM   #55
Runner
Wishbone Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedWishbone Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedWishbone Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedWishbone Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedWishbone Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedWishbone Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedWishbone Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedWishbone Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedWishbone Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedWishbone Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedWishbone Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: James
Wishbone Runner's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by NetMonkey View Post
I don't have any pictures. the guy I had do the work gently bent the tabs back in place and just laid a bead behind the tabs. it was super easy. for me, $80 was worth the time and effort.
Thanks, as I mentioned, this seems to be a way easier (and cheaper) route than the TC tabs, especially if you have a welder.