Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

Flattened alginment gusset tab. Need advice on the TC gussets

Old 12-03-2013, 04:16 AM   #1
the risk is worth the reward
mattmxracer is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattmxracer is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattmxracer is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattmxracer is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattmxracer is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattmxracer is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattmxracer is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattmxracer is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattmxracer is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattmxracer is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattmxracer is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: matt
mattmxracer's Tacoma Gallery
Flattened alginment gusset tab. Need advice on the TC gussets

Noticed one of my gusset tabs is flattened on the rear lca passenger side. Havent noticed a change in driving. Wanting to get the TC gusset tabs and need advice on installing them. I would like to do this myself but I have no welding experience. Looks like you grind the old ones down and weld the new ones in place. The real battle will be taking the LCA bolt out. Im trying to figure out how I can do this myself but Im not sure I will be able to if I have to cut the LCA bolts out. Seems like once the LCA bolts are out it would make things easier. Need opinions please. Does anyone have a DIY way to install the TC gussets?
Old 12-03-2013, 09:53 AM   #2
mattmxracer is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattmxracer is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattmxracer is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattmxracer is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattmxracer is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattmxracer is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattmxracer is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattmxracer is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattmxracer is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattmxracer is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattmxracer is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Help! I need somebody (In a Beatles voice)
Old 12-03-2013, 10:34 AM   #3
Dan
YotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Dan
YotaDan's Tacoma Gallery
Normally I am all over this stuff, but I have not yet done the install on a set of those myself yet. Give Total Chaos a call. They should be able to provide the info you need. Then let me know if you want to get a set headed your way.
Old 12-03-2013, 10:43 AM   #4
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
If you can't get those old bolts out, you're in for a very expensive install. If you have to cut the old bolts out, it's because they've rusted to the bushings. You'd end up having to replace all the hardware and the bushings and they aren't cheap. Honestly, a couple of my tabs have been flattened out for a while now and I have yet to notice any negative impacts. The bolts are held in place by tension, that's why they have such a high torque value attached to them. If you're holding alignment just fine, I wouldn't bother with the hassle if you can't get the old bolts out.
Old 12-03-2013, 11:05 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pugga View Post
If you can't get those old bolts out, you're in for a very expensive install. If you have to cut the old bolts out, it's because they've rusted to the bushings. You'd end up having to replace all the hardware and the bushings and they aren't cheap. Honestly, a couple of my tabs have been flattened out for a while now and I have yet to notice any negative impacts. The bolts are held in place by tension, that's why they have such a high torque value attached to them. If you're holding alignment just fine, I wouldn't bother with the hassle if you can't get the old bolts out.
Im planning on buying some old LCA bolts for 100 dollars and I can get the bushings and cam bolts at toyota for around 250. So you are right it will be about a 350 dollar fix and another 200 to get the gussett tabs welded but Im gonna try to get those bolts out.
Old 12-03-2013, 11:07 AM   #6
anthony250f is one of the sharper tools in the shedanthony250f is one of the sharper tools in the shedanthony250f is one of the sharper tools in the shedanthony250f is one of the sharper tools in the shedanthony250f is one of the sharper tools in the shedanthony250f is one of the sharper tools in the shedanthony250f is one of the sharper tools in the shedanthony250f is one of the sharper tools in the shedanthony250f is one of the sharper tools in the shedanthony250f is one of the sharper tools in the shedanthony250f is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Anthony
anthony250f's Tacoma Gallery
what bolt is it? i may have one laying around...
Old 12-03-2013, 11:12 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by anthony250f View Post
what bolt is it? i may have one laying around...
The rear passenger side is flattened and Im gonna try to get that bolt out before I do anything but I dont want to create bigger problems. I appreciate you looking for that
Old 12-03-2013, 04:45 PM   #8
Skinkwerks Rockware & Fabrication!!
BradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Cannon Crew Member
BradyT88's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pugga View Post
The problem here, is that the cam tab was flattened because the tension didn't hold the bolts in place... Unless your alignment guy or a rock flattened them I guess...

I find it odd that so many people have this problem though... I abuse the hell out my rig and my cam tabs are just fine. I have purchased the TC cam tab gussets though, just to be safe now that I am going to have an LT rear and got new shocks for up front. I assume that since the alignment tech who did my alignment last weekend didn't say anything and got it aligned to spec that my cam tabs aren't seized though.
Old 12-03-2013, 08:30 PM   #10
BradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by PMK View Post
I just did the alignment myself on my 2010. Honestly, it is not a great design because it can slip. When I got the alignment to the where I wanted, I used a torque wrench and tightened them to specs. They are supposed to be 100 ftlb which is a respectable amount that is difficult to reach unless you use a pretty long wrench.

PK
I haven't messed with the lowers so I don't know what they might handle, but I have LR UCA's and the torque spec on them was 120 ft lbs and I have made it slip out 3 times now so I cranked it up to 150 ftlbs last week hoping that will hold. Apparently LR has changed the torque spec to 150ftlbs, I just never got the memo until after I did it first myself. haha I imagine the 100ftlb is supposed to be enough to keep them from rotating and the then they rely on the cam tabs to keep from sliding.

This is the nut I am talking about:
Old 12-04-2013, 04:13 AM   #12

Well here are my options
1. Buy used LCA's and replace bushing and bolts. 100 LCA's 120 BUSHINGS, 40 BOLTS. Bend tab back and weld beam on outside of tab

2. Buy new passenger LCA (360) and have welder bend the only tab that is bent and weld a bead on the outside

3. Buy TC gussets and replace all the LCA's, around 900 dollars

4. Have welder bend only tab that is bent back and align for around 100 dollars. ( and pray the heat from the weld will not burn the bushing.
Old 12-04-2013, 04:14 AM   #13

This wouldnt normally concern me if I didnt pay so much for tires. Want to make them last. Was at toyota dealer last night and talked to several of the techs and they told me this was a common problem and their fix was to replace LCA's on both side for 1000. They said the bushings are a pain in the ass to remove but I know it can be done
Old 12-04-2013, 07:07 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by PMK View Post
My reference to 100 ftlb was in regards to the forward and aft lower control arm bolts.

PK
I know and I was saying I have know problem moving a bolt in my alignment that is torqued to 120 ftlbs so I have my doubts that the 100 ftlbs is enough without the support of the cam tabs.
Old 12-04-2013, 07:11 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattmxracer View Post
This wouldnt normally concern me if I didnt pay so much for tires. Want to make them last. Was at toyota dealer last night and talked to several of the techs and they told me this was a common problem and their fix was to replace LCA's on both side for 1000. They said the bushings are a pain in the ass to remove but I know it can be done
Sorry... I can't multi quote on my phone.

I don't see why you need to replace the LCA's unless one is damaged (which I doubt). I'd just mark your cams, attempt to pull the LCA's off and fix the flat cam tab or do the gussets. Then put the LCA's back in and line the cams up where there were or go get it realigned.

You can replace the bushing while you are in there if you want. Just depends on how they look really.

If it turns out your cams are seized them you are looking at new bolts and bushings though. ..
Old 12-04-2013, 07:20 AM   #16
Bowhunter -)))----->
WisTaco is on a distinguished road
Name: Chris
WisTaco's Tacoma Gallery
If he bends tab and spot tacks it there will be no chance of it burning the bushing. It will mildly get the steel warm but prob not even enuf to burn the paint off on the opposite side.

Also if you want the whole leg done just take time to let the steel cool in between a wet rag or compressed air will cool it real quick.
Old 12-04-2013, 07:26 AM   #17

I just want to be prepared in case the worst happens and I need to replace the bushings. Ive looked into it and I can actually get new LCA's with bushings for 250 from oem. The dealer wanted 360 for them. the bushings for one side are 120 along with 30 for the bolts . Seems like it would be a hassle free fix in case I have to remove the LCA's and decide to get the gussets that way it will never happen again. It would be nice to have the parts available in case something bad does happen.
Old 12-04-2013, 07:27 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by BradyT88 View Post
I know and I was saying I have know problem moving a bolt in my alignment that is torqued to 120 ftlbs so I have my doubts that the 100 ftlbs is enough without the support of the cam tabs.
So you are saying I can torque the LCA bolts to 120ftlbs and it shouldnt move?
Old 12-04-2013, 07:34 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattmxracer View Post
So you are saying I can torque the LCA bolts to 120ftlbs and it shouldnt move?
That I dont know. I am saying my UCA moved at 120ftlb so that wasn't enough. I'm not sure which would see more force though. Probably just depends on the driving going on. There are no tabs to hold the UCA in place though.

With the cam tabs in place 100ftlbs might even be enough really. 120 wouldn't hurt. 150ftlb probably wouldn't hurt just make it pretty hard to loosen.

Personally since I have never flattened a cam tab doing all I do, I am still suspicious that it was flattened in some other way, like an alignment tech flattened it because he cant get the cams to turn...
Old 12-04-2013, 07:36 AM   #20
If at first you don't succeed, don't try skydiving
colinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Colin
colinb17's Tacoma Gallery
i tighten the hell out of the bolts for my lowers, to the point that i don't use a torque wrench on them anymore. they moved all over the place at factory spec. now they stay put nicely.