1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Another UCA Question. (sorry)

Discussion in 'Suspension' started by cc tacoma, Dec 4, 2013.

1. Jan 6, 2014 at 3:19 PM
    cc tacoma

cc tacoma [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Cooper
    Prescott, Az.
    Vehicle:
    2009 Mag Grey Double Cab 4x4 Sport
    Well, I still haven't officially decided on the UCA, mainly because I am still waiting on my front CO's from Icon to show up at SDHQ. However, I am leaning hard toward the total chaos UCA's. From all of the research and searching that I have done it seems to me that you can't really go wrong with either of them (Icon or TC) as they are both solid reputable companies. I think in the end I plan on getting TC stock length racing LCA's for better clearance and articulation, as well as more overall radness :thumbsup:. And I guess I would like to have the uppers match the look of the lowers. As far as your question about uppers, it sounds like you will have better articulation which will result in cleaner travel as well as less maintenance throughout the life of your UCA. But keep in mind that I am hardly an expert in this field. And I am sure that there are way more people here on TW who are more knowledgable about this subject to better answer your question. Anyone else want to chime in here and shed some light on this???

2. Jan 10, 2014 at 10:12 PM
    BBtacosurfer

BBtacosurfer Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    ID
    Vehicle:
    MGM 2012 4x4
    TC uppers are a great choice. I wish that i would've went with uniball because I have extended travel coil overs but went with ball joint (Light Racing). As for the stock length LCA from Total Chaos...They don't do anything for increasing travel. IMO its a waste of money. Why not just work towards LT if you are going to be replacing the stock LCA? Replacing the LCA with the TC will add strength but no benefits in greater travel. :confused:

3. Jan 11, 2014 at 11:14 PM
    JJ04TACO

JJ04TACO Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jim
    Dallas
    Vehicle:
    04 White DC/TRD
    Fox 2.5 RR front, 2.0 RR rear from AccuTune Offroad, OME Dakar Leafs, Camburg Uniball UCA's, CBI Offroad Bolt on Sliders w/kickout, Scangauge II Uniden Bearcat 880 w/ 3' Firestick on CBI antenna mount B&M Trans Cooler
    What is the back spacing for stock 16" wheels? I see that the Camburgs use a 1" ball like other UCA's so why is their ball needing more clearance? (I may have seen that they use a 1.25" ball somewhere but their site says 1".) I leaning toward Camburg for myself.

4. Jan 13, 2014 at 7:29 AM
    SDHQ OFFROAD

SDHQ OFFROAD Cuz Stock Sucks! Vendor

Member:
    First Name:
    SALES
    Gilbert AZ
    96-04 uses 1" the 05+ one's use a 1.25" uniball.

5. Jan 13, 2014 at 7:44 AM
    virginiamarine

virginiamarine Well-Known Member

Member:
    Northern Virginia
    Vehicle:
    FJCruiser/Double cab Tacoma
    That's a good question! It's great if you're getting a little wandering and such, but I don't believe it does anything for LT. I have TC UCAs and they have been awesome. I grease the zerks once every 3 months. I spent 15 minutes cleaning off the uniball on each side with water and a brush. You can see how tight the seal is when the water doesn't go anywhere (you have to wipe it dry like your ass). I use a dry teflon so it doesn't attract any grit and it works for me. Before install though....make sure you're zerk fitment is correct....mine had one hole that wasn't threaded (I just did it myself with a threader from Sears).

6. Jan 13, 2014 at 8:34 AM
    SDHQ OFFROAD

Member:
    First Name:
    SALES
    Gilbert AZ
    Upgrading to the stock length LCA from TC get's you a lot of benefits. You get the lower balljoint gone and put it on a Uniball. No your not getting more travel, but you are getting a MUCH stronger joint. On a stock lower arm, when the BJ wears out, you have to replace the entire arm anyway. With the TC, just the uniball can be replaced.

You get more ground clearance over stock arm. It weighs 17lbs. MUCH stronger than the stock one. Already set up to use a hydro bump and secondary shock.

For guys with a UCA and C/O already you would have to sell all of that for LT. This is the next step in upgrading without selling. You add the secondary shock and you would be very surprised on what it could do and keep up with compared to a LT truck. Travel #'s are not always everything. It's about controlling the travel you have.

7. Jan 14, 2014 at 7:51 AM
    Shipwreck

Shipwreck Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Johan
    Centennial CO
    Vehicle:
    2016 TRD Off Road Tacoma
    Stock

I don't think anyone answered this guys question.... Or maybe I just missed something. But I am in the same boat and would live some input on this question....

"Why should I get a uniball set up over arms that I can use a stock balljoint in?"

8. Jan 14, 2014 at 8:00 AM
    SDHQ OFFROAD

Member:
    First Name:
    SALES
    Gilbert AZ
    The Uniball is a much stronger joint. It allow's for more angle (travel) over a balljoint. Getting an aftermarket arm that uses a balljoint you still may get the travel sine it's built into the arm more, but your still at a weak joint compared to a Uniball.

9. Feb 11, 2014 at 5:38 PM
    cc tacoma

cc tacoma [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Cooper
    Prescott, Az.
    Vehicle:
    2009 Mag Grey Double Cab 4x4 Sport
    Got it all installed. Rides great but I still have some tweaks to make like fender trimming. I had to use the wheel spacers because the stock rim runs on the Spindle gussets and I think the spacers are the main reason for the rub. But as far as the ride goes. It's awesome. evy3yqa4_c94074dee2f9d892459242b4f1d6571956a3c790.jpgpe5e7ava_f59bdd6970390f43e70d07dca9ad0d77542788f4.jpg

Products Discussed in

To Top