Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

Another UCA Question. (sorry)

Old 12-04-2013, 10:18 AM   #1
cc tacoma is on a distinguished road
Name: Cooper
cc tacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Red face Another UCA Question. (sorry)

Hey everyone, I know that there are a ton of UCA threads but I couldn't seem to find the info that I was looking for. I have an '09 dbl cab 4wd. And I just ordered some new Icon 2.5 rr extended travel coilovers from SDHQ, and now I need to decide on a UCA and I'm torn between icon and total chaos. From what I have read, they both sound like they are high quality. The Icon has a uniball cover cap which I like, but the TC has zerks for greasing the pivots wich is also nice. Ultimately I'm looking for a low maintinece UCA and hopefully minimal squeaking. If anyone has any advice on this from past experience I would really appreciate it. Thanks.
Old 12-04-2013, 10:39 AM   #2
Banned
SoCaltaco65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCaltaco65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCaltaco65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCaltaco65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCaltaco65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCaltaco65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCaltaco65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCaltaco65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCaltaco65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCaltaco65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCaltaco65 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
SoCaltaco65's Tacoma Gallery
http://builtrightfab.com/suspension/...m-tacoma-2005/
Old 12-04-2013, 01:30 PM   #3
Cuz Stock Sucks!
SDHQ OFFROAD is one of the sharper tools in the shedSDHQ OFFROAD is one of the sharper tools in the shedSDHQ OFFROAD is one of the sharper tools in the shedSDHQ OFFROAD is one of the sharper tools in the shedSDHQ OFFROAD is one of the sharper tools in the shedSDHQ OFFROAD is one of the sharper tools in the shedSDHQ OFFROAD is one of the sharper tools in the shedSDHQ OFFROAD is one of the sharper tools in the shedSDHQ OFFROAD is one of the sharper tools in the shedSDHQ OFFROAD is one of the sharper tools in the shedSDHQ OFFROAD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

SDHQ OFFROAD's Tacoma Gallery
Any UCA that uses a uniball will squeek at some point. It's just the nature of the beast. All of the companies use stainless uniballs. If you use a dry teflon or dry film lube it will help.

As for the bushings, the zerks are nice, again, proper upkeep goes a long way. Using the correct grease, not over torque'n them ect..

The Cheaper arms out there are using lower quality material in their Uniballs and or Mis-alignment spacers. Those are the part's you need to hold up for the long run.
Old 12-04-2013, 03:25 PM   #4
jr114 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjr114 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjr114 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjr114 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjr114 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjr114 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjr114 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjr114 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjr114 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjr114 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjr114 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Jon
jr114's Tacoma Gallery
My icons also have zerks for re greasing.
Old 12-04-2013, 03:31 PM   #5
I love snow!
chipnoreo is one of the sharper tools in the shedchipnoreo is one of the sharper tools in the shedchipnoreo is one of the sharper tools in the shedchipnoreo is one of the sharper tools in the shedchipnoreo is one of the sharper tools in the shedchipnoreo is one of the sharper tools in the shedchipnoreo is one of the sharper tools in the shedchipnoreo is one of the sharper tools in the shedchipnoreo is one of the sharper tools in the shedchipnoreo is one of the sharper tools in the shedchipnoreo is one of the sharper tools in the shed

EMS: Girdwood Fire Department
Name: Anna
chipnoreo's Tacoma Gallery
I like my TCs. They do squeak though. Whenever I get them plastered in mud the squeak comes back. I just hose them down and spray some triflow on the balls. Spray them down about once every two months and they are pretty quiet.
Old 12-04-2013, 03:32 PM   #6
XXXXL Member
darkgreentaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddarkgreentaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddarkgreentaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddarkgreentaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddarkgreentaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddarkgreentaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddarkgreentaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddarkgreentaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddarkgreentaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddarkgreentaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddarkgreentaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

darkgreentaco's Tacoma Gallery
Icon also has tubular UCA's that have zerkfittings.
Old 12-04-2013, 03:35 PM   #7
Almost there
08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Oliver
08pretaco's Tacoma Gallery
Why no Camburg? They also have grease zerks.

I love the fact that their UCA mounting hardware to the spindle is recessed into the top of the uni-ball.
Old 12-04-2013, 08:22 PM   #8
Cuz Stock Sucks!
SDHQ OFFROAD is one of the sharper tools in the shedSDHQ OFFROAD is one of the sharper tools in the shedSDHQ OFFROAD is one of the sharper tools in the shedSDHQ OFFROAD is one of the sharper tools in the shedSDHQ OFFROAD is one of the sharper tools in the shedSDHQ OFFROAD is one of the sharper tools in the shedSDHQ OFFROAD is one of the sharper tools in the shedSDHQ OFFROAD is one of the sharper tools in the shedSDHQ OFFROAD is one of the sharper tools in the shedSDHQ OFFROAD is one of the sharper tools in the shedSDHQ OFFROAD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

SDHQ OFFROAD's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 08pretaco View Post

I love the fact that their UCA mounting hardware to the spindle is recessed into the top of the uni-ball.
Camburg are great1 But with Camburg you really need 4.75" Backspace on the wheels to clear the bigger Uniball. Icon also uses the Lowpro hardware.

Camburg Uses Aurora Uniball's. They do squeek a bit sooner than FK's. Every one has the benefits.
Old 12-04-2013, 09:33 PM   #9
Wow! Thanks for all of the great input. I didn't know any of that. I guess Camburgs just weren't really on my radar for whatever reason but I'll certainly give them a look as well as the others mentioned. Super helpful, thanks guys.
Old 12-05-2013, 01:23 AM   #10
I love snow!
chipnoreo is one of the sharper tools in the shedchipnoreo is one of the sharper tools in the shedchipnoreo is one of the sharper tools in the shedchipnoreo is one of the sharper tools in the shedchipnoreo is one of the sharper tools in the shedchipnoreo is one of the sharper tools in the shedchipnoreo is one of the sharper tools in the shedchipnoreo is one of the sharper tools in the shedchipnoreo is one of the sharper tools in the shedchipnoreo is one of the sharper tools in the shedchipnoreo is one of the sharper tools in the shed

EMS: Girdwood Fire Department
Name: Anna
chipnoreo's Tacoma Gallery
As I understand it, TC, camburg, and icon are all great choices with minor pros and cons to each. I really wanted TC. Why? I honestly couldn't tell you but i was dead set on getting a pair. I liked the name I guess?? They have worked great so far too
Old 12-05-2013, 10:34 AM   #11
Banned
SoCaltaco65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCaltaco65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCaltaco65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCaltaco65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCaltaco65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCaltaco65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCaltaco65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCaltaco65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCaltaco65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCaltaco65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCaltaco65 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
SoCaltaco65's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDHQ OFFROAD View Post
Any UCA that uses a uniball will squeek at some point. It's just the nature of the beast. All of the companies use stainless uniballs. If you use a dry teflon or dry film lube it will help.

Nope

Neither my mid nor long travel do
Old 12-05-2013, 08:21 PM   #12
Direct Representative
ICONRep has a brilliant futureICONRep has a brilliant futureICONRep has a brilliant futureICONRep has a brilliant futureICONRep has a brilliant futureICONRep has a brilliant futureICONRep has a brilliant futureICONRep has a brilliant futureICONRep has a brilliant futureICONRep has a brilliant futureICONRep has a brilliant future

ICONRep's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 08pretaco View Post

With our uniball cover cap, that is a pretty big deal to help keep grit & grime from piling up in the uniball cup, you can't see it anyway!
Attached Thumbnails
Another UCA Question. (sorry)-uploadfromtaptalk1386303661342.jpg  
Old 12-06-2013, 08:56 AM   #13
Downsouth Motorsport
Downsouth Motorsports is one of the sharper tools in the shedDownsouth Motorsports is one of the sharper tools in the shedDownsouth Motorsports is one of the sharper tools in the shedDownsouth Motorsports is one of the sharper tools in the shedDownsouth Motorsports is one of the sharper tools in the shedDownsouth Motorsports is one of the sharper tools in the shedDownsouth Motorsports is one of the sharper tools in the shedDownsouth Motorsports is one of the sharper tools in the shedDownsouth Motorsports is one of the sharper tools in the shedDownsouth Motorsports is one of the sharper tools in the shedDownsouth Motorsports is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Downsouth Motorsports's Tacoma Gallery
I agree with some of the above..

Chaos uses 4130 tubing, a stainless bearing with 17-4 miss alignment spacers.

Camburg uses 4130 tubing, a 1.25 Aurora bearing and stainless spacers

Icon uses 1026 DOM tubing, a COM bearing that they have made for them in a stainless version (I believe?) and 17-4 stainless spacers

All arms will add caster, all will squeak and most importantly all require maintenance from the end user.
Clean the bearings and keep them free form debris, and when they start to make sounds use TRIFLO.
Old 12-06-2013, 09:04 AM   #14
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
A large factor on the squeaking, make sure you rub grease all over the bushings when first installing. ALL over. Use rubber gloves. Then, a little grease thru the zerk every oil change would be fine.
Old 12-06-2013, 09:14 AM   #15
Downsouth Motorsport
Downsouth Motorsports is one of the sharper tools in the shedDownsouth Motorsports is one of the sharper tools in the shedDownsouth Motorsports is one of the sharper tools in the shedDownsouth Motorsports is one of the sharper tools in the shedDownsouth Motorsports is one of the sharper tools in the shedDownsouth Motorsports is one of the sharper tools in the shedDownsouth Motorsports is one of the sharper tools in the shedDownsouth Motorsports is one of the sharper tools in the shedDownsouth Motorsports is one of the sharper tools in the shedDownsouth Motorsports is one of the sharper tools in the shedDownsouth Motorsports is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Downsouth Motorsports's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris4x4 View Post
A large factor on the squeaking, make sure you rub grease all over the bushings when first installing. ALL over. Use rubber gloves. Then, a little grease thru the zerk every oil change would be fine.
as well as the inside of the bushing and the out side of the sleeve.
Old 12-06-2013, 09:15 AM   #16
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Downsouth Motorsports View Post
as well as the inside of the bushing and the out side of the sleeve.
Bingo!
Old 12-06-2013, 09:17 AM   #17
Almost there
08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Oliver
08pretaco's Tacoma Gallery
Or just simply get the BJ style upper arms, I joke I joke

Everyone hit all the important keys to trying to keep noise down.
Old 12-06-2013, 11:30 AM   #18
Direct Representative
ICONRep has a brilliant futureICONRep has a brilliant futureICONRep has a brilliant futureICONRep has a brilliant futureICONRep has a brilliant futureICONRep has a brilliant futureICONRep has a brilliant futureICONRep has a brilliant futureICONRep has a brilliant futureICONRep has a brilliant futureICONRep has a brilliant future

ICONRep's Tacoma Gallery
Since we are getting into details a little more, here is 2 other things we do....I attached a few example pictures.

• Polyurethane bushings w/ anti-deflection ring
  • 17-4 Stainless Steel Uni-ball Adapter Taper Pin

Old 12-15-2013, 07:21 AM   #19
Wow!,
Thanks for all of the info everyone. Super helpful, I really appreciate it. A lot of this stuff is fairly new territory for me .
Old 01-04-2014, 07:26 AM   #20
BostonBilly is one of the sharper tools in the shedBostonBilly is one of the sharper tools in the shedBostonBilly is one of the sharper tools in the shedBostonBilly is one of the sharper tools in the shedBostonBilly is one of the sharper tools in the shedBostonBilly is one of the sharper tools in the shedBostonBilly is one of the sharper tools in the shedBostonBilly is one of the sharper tools in the shedBostonBilly is one of the sharper tools in the shedBostonBilly is one of the sharper tools in the shedBostonBilly is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Coast Guard:
BostonBilly's Tacoma Gallery
Did you choose your UCA yet? I am in the beginning stages of learning and want to add another question to your thread. Why should I get a uniball set up over arms that I can use a stock balljoint in?