Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

Running Stock or with a Lift?

View Poll Results: To lift or not to lift?
Keep it stock 29 20.00%
Lift it for the looks 35 24.14%
Lift it for the off road improvement 81 55.86%
Voters: 145. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-07-2013, 02:19 PM   #21
Raceline08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRaceline08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRaceline08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRaceline08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRaceline08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRaceline08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRaceline08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRaceline08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRaceline08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRaceline08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRaceline08 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brett
Raceline08's Tacoma Gallery
Lift it baby!

Thanks,
Brett
Old 12-08-2013, 11:10 AM   #22
provofan is on a distinguished road
provofan's Tacoma Gallery
What is the best $1000 lift out there?
Old 12-08-2013, 01:54 PM   #23
Raceline08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRaceline08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRaceline08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRaceline08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRaceline08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRaceline08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRaceline08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRaceline08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRaceline08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRaceline08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRaceline08 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brett
Raceline08's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by provofan View Post
What is the best $1000 lift out there?
Oh here we go again. (so many options)
J/k

Thanks,

Brett
Old 12-08-2013, 07:08 PM   #24
wth is a junior member?
Vigo is one of the sharper tools in the shedVigo is one of the sharper tools in the shedVigo is one of the sharper tools in the shedVigo is one of the sharper tools in the shedVigo is one of the sharper tools in the shedVigo is one of the sharper tools in the shedVigo is one of the sharper tools in the shedVigo is one of the sharper tools in the shedVigo is one of the sharper tools in the shedVigo is one of the sharper tools in the shedVigo is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ryan
Vigo's Tacoma Gallery
I think that if you feel the need to post a thread for others to convince you to lift your truck, you probably won't need it or be happy with spending the $$$. The tacomas are pretty capable in stock trim, so if that's all you need for what you use it for, why waste the $? Just go have fun with it, because I the end, that's all that matters.

I lifted a little for approach and departure angles, high centering, and to fit larger tires. But I still scrape the front skid, tow hitch and the frame, so I imagine I'd be even worse off without the lift. I spent around $1800 on lift related components. To me, its was worth it and the truck looks better to me as well!
Old 12-09-2013, 05:44 AM   #25
JLee50 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee50 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee50 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee50 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee50 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee50 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee50 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee50 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee50 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee50 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee50 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Law Enforcement: Former NH LEO
JLee50's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vigo View Post
I think that if you feel the need to post a thread for others to convince you to lift your truck, you probably won't need it or be happy with spending the $$$. The tacomas are pretty capable in stock trim, so if that's all you need for what you use it for, why waste the $? Just go have fun with it, because I the end, that's all that matters.

I lifted a little for approach and departure angles, high centering, and to fit larger tires. But I still scrape the front skid, tow hitch and the frame, so I imagine I'd be even worse off without the lift. I spent around $1800 on lift related components. To me, its was worth it and the truck looks better to me as well!
Bingo.
Old 12-09-2013, 06:00 AM   #26
flatblack is one of the sharper tools in the shedflatblack is one of the sharper tools in the shedflatblack is one of the sharper tools in the shedflatblack is one of the sharper tools in the shedflatblack is one of the sharper tools in the shedflatblack is one of the sharper tools in the shedflatblack is one of the sharper tools in the shedflatblack is one of the sharper tools in the shedflatblack is one of the sharper tools in the shedflatblack is one of the sharper tools in the shedflatblack is one of the sharper tools in the shed

flatblack's Tacoma Gallery
I actually don't want to lift my truck, because of the potential component headaches caused by angle changes

However, I do want to get a heavy bumper; so, as bambi and honda accords won't do much more than cause surface scratches, if I T-bone one of them
I also want to add more than 35lbs of weight in my bed without negatively arching the leafs

I've yet to find stronger front coils that won't lift the front (well, there's preloaded Toytecs that can be set at 0")
Could probably find a much stronger leaf pack or add some leafs with lifting the rear little to none

So, if you plan on doing those things, OP, a (competent) lift should benefit you there too
Old 12-09-2013, 06:23 AM   #27
WTF
1TUFFTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed1TUFFTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed1TUFFTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed1TUFFTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed1TUFFTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed1TUFFTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed1TUFFTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed1TUFFTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed1TUFFTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed1TUFFTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed1TUFFTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

1TUFFTRD's Tacoma Gallery
Because kings pull bitches.
Old 12-09-2013, 06:40 AM   #28
JLee50 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee50 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee50 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee50 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee50 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee50 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee50 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee50 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee50 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee50 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee50 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Law Enforcement: Former NH LEO
JLee50's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by flatblack View Post
I actually don't want to lift my truck, because of the potential component headaches caused by angle changes

However, I do want to get a heavy bumper; so, as bambi and honda accords won't do much more than cause surface scratches, if I T-bone one of them
I also want to add more than 35lbs of weight in my bed without negatively arching the leafs

I've yet to find stronger front coils that won't lift the front (well, there's preloaded Toytecs that can be set at 0")
Could probably find a much stronger leaf pack or add some leafs with lifting the rear little to none

So, if you plan on doing those things, OP, a (competent) lift should benefit you there too
I'm sure Alcan could hook you up with a custom leaf pack to do exactly what you're looking for. I was very happy with my Alcan springs on my last truck.
Old 12-09-2013, 07:32 AM   #29
Tacorriendo has a spectacular aura aboutTacorriendo has a spectacular aura about

Name: Fred
Tacorriendo's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sublime View Post
Have you even run 30mph down a rutted out washboard dirt road? High end race shocks feel like the truck is floating in butter, while stock suspension will blow up! LOL
For this same reason. My trip to the ranch at 25mph takes a long time with stock suspension. Now with 885's upfront, and 5100's all around and firestone airbags, my trip at 55-60mph is a lot shorter! Now it feels like if I'm floating on air while zooming thru dirt roads.
Old 12-09-2013, 07:35 AM   #30
Fiend13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFiend13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFiend13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFiend13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFiend13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFiend13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFiend13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFiend13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFiend13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFiend13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFiend13 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: Crew Chief
Name: Chad
Fiend13's Tacoma Gallery
I lifted mine so I could fit 33's and have more clearance. I do a lot of camping it's easier to go down the trails to get to the campsites with it being lifted. Plus, the area I use to take my dirtbike to had a pretty rocky drive and my frame would slightly scrape in some areas so the lift also took care of that problem.
Old 12-09-2013, 08:16 AM   #31
PreRunner
stitch is on a distinguished road

Army: ch-47 TI
Name: Erick
stitch's Tacoma Gallery
I was thinking about purchasing OME lift for my first gen cause it an all around lift with good parts. I only chose this lift cause when I was looking for replacement for factory, it was about $800 so I figured an extra 200 or 300 bucks wouldn't hurt.
Old 12-09-2013, 08:40 AM   #32
Chepo is one of the sharper tools in the shedChepo is one of the sharper tools in the shedChepo is one of the sharper tools in the shedChepo is one of the sharper tools in the shedChepo is one of the sharper tools in the shedChepo is one of the sharper tools in the shedChepo is one of the sharper tools in the shedChepo is one of the sharper tools in the shedChepo is one of the sharper tools in the shedChepo is one of the sharper tools in the shedChepo is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Chepo's Tacoma Gallery
I haven't lifted my truck yet... But something I'm gonna tell you is that I've been in many places where those 3" would have helped a lot...

Now, if you think that lifting the truck 3" will not help you with clearance it is because maybe you are thinking that you have a Solid Axle in the front... For gaining clearance in Solid Axles you would only have to change tires...

With IFS, which is the system that your truck uses, you can obtain clearance by upgrading the suspension (only in the front):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f98u4_jhU0w

Sytfu510's ORI struts... you see how you gain some inches in the front?

If you are still thinking that the lift won't help, don't buy it... Until you need it!
Old 12-09-2013, 10:17 AM   #33
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chepo View Post
I haven't lifted my truck yet... But something I'm gonna tell you is that I've been in many places where those 3" would have helped a lot...

Now, if you think that lifting the truck 3" will not help you with clearance it is because maybe you are thinking that you have a Solid Axle in the front... For gaining clearance in Solid Axles you would only have to change tires...

With IFS, which is the system that your truck uses, you can obtain clearance by upgrading the suspension (only in the front):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f98u4_jhU0w

Sytfu510's ORI struts... you see how you gain some inches in the front?

If you are still thinking that the lift won't help, don't buy it... Until you need it!
Good to know, great visual
Old 12-09-2013, 10:23 AM   #34
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raceline08 View Post
Oh here we go again. (so many options)
J/k

Thanks,

Brett
I am leaning to either OME 885 and Nitro or Biistien 5100 with Eibach from Toytec. Both with AAL
Old 12-09-2013, 10:48 AM   #35
Token
Fluffymonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedFluffymonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedFluffymonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedFluffymonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedFluffymonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedFluffymonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedFluffymonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedFluffymonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedFluffymonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedFluffymonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedFluffymonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Matt
Fluffymonkey's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by provofan View Post
I am leaning to either OME 885 and Nitro or Biistien 5100 with Eibach from Toytec. Both with AAL

I had the 884s (same spring rate as 885s, just a tad shorter) with the nitros, and bilstens and an aal in the rear on my last truck. I was very happy with it.
Old 12-12-2013, 12:29 PM   #36
cynicalrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedcynicalrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedcynicalrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedcynicalrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedcynicalrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedcynicalrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedcynicalrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedcynicalrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedcynicalrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedcynicalrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedcynicalrider is one of the sharper tools in the shed

cynicalrider's Tacoma Gallery
Currently I am stock and the biggest improvement I have gotten so far was from more aggressive and slightly larger tires. I know on my last trip would have been SOL with stock tires. I was driving behind a lead truck that had a lift and on spots that he made it through without hitting anything, I hit my rear bumper and exhaust pretty damn hard.

I also have been in trucks that are now mid-travel just by having good shocks and upgraded UCA's. I have seen these trucks handle terrain at 40-50mph where if I did the same in my stock truck I would probably break something, or just have a very painful ride bottoming out my bump stops. That being said if I continue to wheel as much as I have done in the past few months my next investment is sliders, then lift.
Old 12-12-2013, 06:45 PM   #37
dr dave is on a distinguished road
Name: david
dr dave's Tacoma Gallery
this was like sitting on the psychiatrists couch for me, 2012 quad cab, 4X4, long bed, wanting mostly looks, struggling to keep my stock ride. I do the beaches for surf and kiting, and flat land mud for hunting, so don't need but want the lift. You have me thinking I want to maybe just get leveling kit and go up 2 on tires, wheels, call it a day, then get better lighting. still on the fence but enjoyed the thread.
Old 12-12-2013, 07:26 PM   #38
Canazes9 is one of the sharper tools in the shedCanazes9 is one of the sharper tools in the shedCanazes9 is one of the sharper tools in the shedCanazes9 is one of the sharper tools in the shedCanazes9 is one of the sharper tools in the shedCanazes9 is one of the sharper tools in the shedCanazes9 is one of the sharper tools in the shedCanazes9 is one of the sharper tools in the shedCanazes9 is one of the sharper tools in the shedCanazes9 is one of the sharper tools in the shedCanazes9 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: David
Canazes9's Tacoma Gallery
Pine Canyon in Big Bend National Park this Thanksgiving. Washboard gravel road (big rain storm came through days before). Traveling 25-35mph, could have easily gone faster but was concerned about possible other vehicle traffic on the road (didn't want to frighten anyone). My 70+ year old parents were in the 4Runner with me, weren't uncomfortable, weren't bothered at all - look at the video from around 57 seconds to 1:10....

Icon low lift suspension, didn't install it to get a lift. Running stock sized Mickey Thompson MTZ's...

http://www.toyota-4runner.org/5th-ge...uspension.html

http://youtu.be/gDtTms_AmxM

I will be upgrading the suspension on my Tacomas...

David
Old 12-12-2013, 08:16 PM   #39
Fiend13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFiend13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFiend13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFiend13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFiend13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFiend13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFiend13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFiend13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFiend13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFiend13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFiend13 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: Crew Chief
Name: Chad
Fiend13's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by dr dave View Post
this was like sitting on the psychiatrists couch for me, 2012 quad cab, 4X4, long bed, wanting mostly looks, struggling to keep my stock ride. I do the beaches for surf and kiting, and flat land mud for hunting, so don't need but want the lift. You have me thinking I want to maybe just get leveling kit and go up 2 on tires, wheels, call it a day, then get better lighting. still on the fence but enjoyed the thread.
Stock are tires are 31" if I remember correctly. If you want to go up 2" in tires then you will need a 3" lift along with some trimming in the wheel wells and a cab mount chop...just a heads up. You can fit 32" tires on stock suspension with minor to no trimming.
Old 12-14-2013, 12:18 AM   #40
Ahshiet is one of the sharper tools in the shedAhshiet is one of the sharper tools in the shedAhshiet is one of the sharper tools in the shedAhshiet is one of the sharper tools in the shedAhshiet is one of the sharper tools in the shedAhshiet is one of the sharper tools in the shedAhshiet is one of the sharper tools in the shedAhshiet is one of the sharper tools in the shedAhshiet is one of the sharper tools in the shedAhshiet is one of the sharper tools in the shedAhshiet is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Ahshiet's Tacoma Gallery
Lifted with 2.5" Leeper coilovers with toytech shim spacer total chaos UCA and diff drop up front
Rear is 2" slant block and fabtech AAL 2" and fox smooth body shocks
And all of that rolling on some 315/75/16=35"s Baja claws mounted on TRD rugged edition wheels
Not the best setup but it works great ground clearance and overall truck height still fits in low parking structures and under trees I can even have my 10'x34" stand up surf paddle board on the toyota roof rack with the skeg facing up and still clear my garage door

Total cost of lift out of my pocket is almost $800 total chaos arms was a gift and the fox shocks was free cause ugly chrome

Total cost of wheels I straight traded my old bald super swampers with spray painted 16x10 ion wheels I got for a deal years ago on Craig's for the TRD rugged wheels with stock tires and bought the 315/75/16 Mickey Thompson Baja Claw tires from a friend he posted on IG for $300 tires was like brand new never went offroad