Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

Running Stock or with a Lift?

View Poll Results: To lift or not to lift?
Keep it stock 29 20.00%
Lift it for the looks 35 24.14%
Lift it for the off road improvement 81 55.86%
Voters: 145. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-06-2013, 03:32 PM   #1
provofan is on a distinguished road
provofan's Tacoma Gallery
Running Stock or with a Lift?

I have read on and on about the benefits or problems of a lifting a truck and am looking to gauge a consensus on the necessity of a lift. I hear of some taking a stock truck almost anywhere, so what is the purpose of a lift? It does not provide clearance unless bigger tires and wheels are included, so are most lifts just for show? I dont want bigger wheels and have not been able to convince myself to change what Toyota has mastered with the stock suspension.

Anyone care to help me change my view?

Edit: if you voted in the poll "lift for off-road improvement" please let me know which lift you purchased and the cost of the parts.
Old 12-06-2013, 03:44 PM   #2
Token
Fluffymonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedFluffymonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedFluffymonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedFluffymonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedFluffymonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedFluffymonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedFluffymonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedFluffymonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedFluffymonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedFluffymonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedFluffymonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Matt
Fluffymonkey's Tacoma Gallery
I suspect the majority of people here lift their truck because it looks cool - "mall crawlers," if you will. I would guess the percentage of hardcore offroaders here are relatively small. But as for your tire/lift observation, bigger tires and lift generally go hand in hand; people rarely only lift. Why lift you ask? For those who do venture off road: better clearance, better approach angles, stiffer coils up front for the ability to run aftermarket bumpers and winches up front, along with a plethora of other reasons. Why should you lift? You shouldn't, unless you want to or need to. It's really a personal decision. Many people don't feel it's necessary for their purposes, and some don't want it to affect gas mileage. Others have kids and wives who can't get up in lifted trucks (or won't let them lift it). What would be your purpose for lifting?
Old 12-06-2013, 03:45 PM   #3
raycie has a brilliant futureraycie has a brilliant futureraycie has a brilliant futureraycie has a brilliant futureraycie has a brilliant futureraycie has a brilliant futureraycie has a brilliant futureraycie has a brilliant futureraycie has a brilliant futureraycie has a brilliant futureraycie has a brilliant future

raycie's Tacoma Gallery
If for performance, really depends on where you will be going..

If the areas where you will be going don't necessitate a left, then by all means don't lift. I have first hand seen a couple instances of high-centering. If they had a lift, even the 3 inches would have helped them to clear.

With LBs especially, they need the nigher clearance as they will tend to high-center faster than a shorter wheelbase truck.

While you are true that larger wheels and tires will provide more clearance over axel portion, even a suspension left will allow more clearance for the frame (i.e. high-centered).
Old 12-06-2013, 03:49 PM   #4
Señor Member
DriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shedDriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shedDriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shedDriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shedDriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shedDriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shedDriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shedDriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shedDriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shedDriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shedDriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shed

DriverSound's Tacoma Gallery
I wouldn't say that Toyota has "mastered the suspension" on these trucks but that they have a suspension that appeals to the masses. Toyota is going the right way with the Baja set up but still can be improved.
Old 12-06-2013, 07:17 PM   #6
The more people I meet, the more I like my dogs.
LukeBo4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedLukeBo4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedLukeBo4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedLukeBo4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedLukeBo4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedLukeBo4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedLukeBo4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedLukeBo4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedLukeBo4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedLukeBo4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedLukeBo4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: luke
LukeBo4x4's Tacoma Gallery
A stock taco is an unhappy taco
Old 12-06-2013, 07:29 PM   #7
Polymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Polymerhead's Tacoma Gallery
I might lift mine as the factory suspension wears, but for now I'm fine with some bigger tires. 265/75 AT tires stuff the wells and look good, help me get places and give me trouble-free service. With only 35k on her, I want to maintain the nice factory ride as long as possible, without worrying about vibes or bolt angles.
Old 12-06-2013, 07:33 PM   #8
Hummingbird
Foihdzas is one of the sharper tools in the shedFoihdzas is one of the sharper tools in the shedFoihdzas is one of the sharper tools in the shedFoihdzas is one of the sharper tools in the shedFoihdzas is one of the sharper tools in the shedFoihdzas is one of the sharper tools in the shedFoihdzas is one of the sharper tools in the shedFoihdzas is one of the sharper tools in the shedFoihdzas is one of the sharper tools in the shedFoihdzas is one of the sharper tools in the shedFoihdzas is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Danny
Foihdzas's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by LukeBo4x4 View Post

That.... and I lifted my Enchilada... I mean Taco because my undercarriage had slammed in to some off road obstacles when lightly wheeling. So, I did it to avoid further damage. A decent lift will give you no problems. Had mine for many many offroad miles, never a hiccup.

Good luck
Old 12-06-2013, 07:35 PM   #9
The more people I meet, the more I like my dogs.
LukeBo4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedLukeBo4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedLukeBo4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedLukeBo4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedLukeBo4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedLukeBo4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedLukeBo4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedLukeBo4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedLukeBo4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedLukeBo4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedLukeBo4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: luke
LukeBo4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foihdzas View Post
That.... and I lifted my Enchilada... I mean Taco because my undercarriage had slammed in to some off road obstacles when lightly wheeling. So, I did it to avoid further damage. A decent lift will give you no problems. Had mine for many many offroad miles, never a hiccup.

Good luck
I like a mild lift jus to level it out a lil makes it look 10 times better in my opinion
Old 12-06-2013, 08:30 PM   #10
Sublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Sublime's Tacoma Gallery
Have you even run 30mph down a rutted out washboard dirt road? High end race shocks feel like the truck is floating in butter, while stock suspension will blow up! LOL
Old 12-06-2013, 10:08 PM   #11
Bush Pusher
Hairy Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHairy Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHairy Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHairy Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHairy Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHairy Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHairy Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHairy Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHairy Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHairy Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHairy Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chris
Hairy Taco's Tacoma Gallery
1.Lifting creates room for larger tires.
2. Toyota has not mastered their Tacoma suspension. However if you like your stock suspension and tires then don't change them.

After 70,000km's on my stock suspension and tires I was thrilled to be rid of them.
Old 12-07-2013, 01:50 AM   #12
Pineapples on pizza Hawaiian does not it make.
Konaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Cody
Konaborne's Tacoma Gallery
OP, you obviously haven't gone wheeling in very difficult places before.

people build their trucks to suit thier needs, or if they have a large enough wallet, their wants

lifts not only add clearance, but allow for the fitment of larger tires, and (if done right) add suspension articulation

keeping rubber on the ground, with bigger tires and more flex, is how offroad obstacles are overcome. (at least in terms of flex obstacles; not mud or whatnot... you can go mudding in a golf cart)

offroad, stock sucks. which is why I've thrown too much money at my truck and spent a lot of nights crying myself to sleep

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3LOtPUX10QA
Old 12-07-2013, 08:54 AM   #13
tacoma16 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoma16 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoma16 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoma16 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoma16 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoma16 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoma16 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoma16 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoma16 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoma16 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoma16 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Peter
tacoma16's Tacoma Gallery
I got mine for handling more weight, the "lift" portion kinda came with it all. A lift doesn't really help give you better tire clearance as some have said, it gives you better travel so you can keep all four on the floor.

Also some other benefits, are better handling (slow, speed) and also carries weight better=Performance.

hope that helps with your decision
Old 12-07-2013, 08:59 AM   #14
I appreciate the posts so far. I understand that a lifted truck with an upgraded suspension could mean a better ride, better angles, more flex, and potentially the ability to go more places off-road. A lift also allows one to put bigger tires and wheels. A lift also looks much better in many cases than the stock look. I also understand that the stock suspension was designed to please a broad audience and could be improved upon.

The simple physics of the matter; however, is that a lift suspension alone does not provide more clearance. That comes with bigger wheels and tires. If I do not want bigger wheels then am i getting a minimal benefit of the lift such as looks only and a slightly improved suspension from stock?

I would argue that most lifts produce a worse ride than stock unless $$$$$ is spent on a quality lift. I would also argue that a good driver with a stock setup can go more places than an amateur with the best lift available. Growing up I loved pulling capable vehicles with suspensions that cost more than my entire truck out of places with a stock long bed Chevy truck.
Old 12-07-2013, 09:07 AM   #16
If you voted in the poll "lift for off-road improvement" please let me know which lift you purchased and the cost of the parts.
Old 12-07-2013, 09:07 AM   #17
kellybig is on a distinguished road
kellybig's Tacoma Gallery
Smile Funny

Quote:
Originally Posted by LukeBo4x4 View Post
Lol
Old 12-07-2013, 09:10 AM   #18
Polymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Polymerhead's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by provofan View Post
I appreciate the posts so far. I understand that a lifted truck with an upgraded suspension could mean a better ride, better angles, more flex, and potentially the ability to go more places off-road. A lift also allows one to put bigger tires and wheels. A lift also looks much better in many cases than the stock look. I also understand that the stock suspension was designed to please a broad audience and could be improved upon.

The simple physics of the matter; however, is that a lift suspension alone does not provide more clearance. That comes with bigger wheels and tires. If I do not want bigger wheels then am i getting a minimal benefit of the lift such as looks only and a slightly improved suspension from stock?

I would argue that most lifts produce a worse ride than stock unless $$$$$ is spent on a quality lift. I would also argue that a good driver with a stock setup can go more places than an amateur with the best lift available. Growing up I loved pulling capable vehicles with suspensions that cost more than my entire truck out of places with a stock long bed Chevy truck.
I agree with you on most points. I will reiterate that a lift does improve approach angles even without bigger tires. That can be a benefit even with mild off-roading, for instance maneuvering over terraces in a pasture.

But I'm convinced that 90% of lifts go on trucks because they look good, and I agree that they do! It's just not worth it for me yet. When I'm rebuilding my stock suspension at 75k or whatever, I'll reassess.
Old 12-07-2013, 09:22 AM   #19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Polymerhead View Post
I agree with you on most points. I will reiterate that a lift does improve approach angles even without bigger tires. That can be a benefit even with mild off-roading, for instance maneuvering over terraces in a pasture.

But I'm convinced that 90% of lifts go on trucks because they look good, and I agree that they do! It's just not worth it for me yet. When I'm rebuilding my stock suspension at 75k or whatever, I'll reassess.
I am in a similar boat. One of my hang ups is I have an off-road edition with 2000 miles and won't get much for my stock shocks and coilovers. I just "bought" new shocks when I purchased the truck and to lift I will be buying another set and virtually throwing the stock set away for a few bucks. What should I expect to get for a virtually new set of shocks and coil overs, off-road edition?
Old 12-07-2013, 09:50 AM   #20
IKA fabrications
bullaculla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbullaculla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbullaculla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbullaculla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbullaculla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbullaculla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbullaculla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbullaculla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbullaculla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbullaculla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbullaculla is one of the sharper tools in the shed

bullaculla's Tacoma Gallery
Another good point to a quality lift is that the shocks will be re-buildable. A good mid travel lift will let you run smother at higher speed, and give more articulation.

Fox mid travel lift around $3000 with the options I got from Down South Motorsports. I am building my truck to be more functional and have better off road ability.
And if you are careful, it can look good too