Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

whats the diffrence between...

Old 03-18-2009, 02:53 PM   #1
Panda Jerk
THXEY is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHXEY is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHXEY is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHXEY is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHXEY is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHXEY is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHXEY is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHXEY is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHXEY is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHXEY is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHXEY is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jacob
THXEY's Tacoma Gallery
whats the diffrence between...

whats the diffrence between bilstein 5100 and ome N140s
Old 03-18-2009, 03:12 PM   #2
Panda Jerk
THXEY is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHXEY is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHXEY is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHXEY is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHXEY is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHXEY is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHXEY is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHXEY is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHXEY is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHXEY is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHXEY is one of the sharper tools in the shed

THXEY's Tacoma Gallery
comon someone has to know somthing about the OME shocks

chris....
Old 03-18-2009, 03:15 PM   #3
Sooooooper Moderator
jhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: former TSgt/E6, 3D172, Cyber Transport, NC Air Guard and prior AD
Name: Jamie
jhodge83's Tacoma Gallery
5100's...adjustable up to 2.5" of lift and better ride quality than stock

n140's....better ride quality than stock, but need the OME coils w/ them to provide lift.

i think thats the knitty gritty, but OME man chris should pop in
Old 03-18-2009, 03:20 PM   #4
Panda Jerk

THXEY's Tacoma Gallery
Chris!!

ok i just yelled for him he'll be here in a sec
Old 03-18-2009, 03:29 PM   #5
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Biltstien 5100:
Mono tube shock, with high presure nitrogen charge, Floating piston, speed sensative valveing.

OME N140S: Twin tube, low presure nitrogen charge,floating piston, speed sensative valveing.

Pros of 5100:
Adjustable height with OEM spring. More oil than OEM TRD Bilstiens

Pros of OME N140S:
More oil than 5100. Low pressure nitrogen means more compliant on the smaller bumps, less likely to leak.
Old 03-18-2009, 03:31 PM   #6
Panda Jerk

THXEY's Tacoma Gallery
thanks!
Old 03-18-2009, 03:57 PM   #7
Custom Tacoma bumpers & more for your offroad toy
RelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Eric
RelentlessTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Ok Chris, I've always read that Monotube shocks are more performance oriented and better overall than twin tube shocks but I keep hearing ear fulls of praise for the OMEs over the Bilsteins. Also, the OME's are more expensive than the Billies. Whats the deal-e-o?
Old 03-18-2009, 04:36 PM   #8
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by RelentlessTaco View Post
Ok Chris, I've always read that Monotube shocks are more performance oriented and better overall than twin tube shocks but I keep hearing ear fulls of praise for the OMEs over the Bilsteins. Also, the OME's are more expensive than the Billies. Whats the deal-e-o?
On an off road shock, the more oil the better. It keeps the temp down, and prevents the dampening characteristic of the shock from fadeing out.
Also, alot of folks are anchored in the belief that high psi nitrogen is the only way to keep the oil from cavitating when off road. This isnt the case. High pressure can cause shocks to leak. When a floating piston is used in the shock, much lower nitrogen psi can be employed without the shock oil cavitating. With a lower nitrogen psi, the shock is more compliant over the smaller bumps, and still able to maintain dampening on the big hits. Alot of coilovers are sized (2.0, 2.5, 2.75), and the benafit is more oil capacity. Same with a remote res., more oil. A twin tube shock is a waste on a sports car, as the suspension cycles in a short stroke. However, off roading, the shock moves much more. And can heat up the oil pretty quick. I have noticed that if my OME's are running around 100*, the Bilstiens are 50 to 60* hotter. On my first gen Taco, I was able to overheat my Billies and they became useles on a fast stretch of desert. I havent been able to overheat the OME's....yet.
Old 03-18-2009, 06:44 PM   #9
Custom Tacoma bumpers & more for your offroad toy
RelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Eric
RelentlessTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Alright, cool. Thanks for the reply
Old 03-18-2009, 09:05 PM   #10
Jag/Nole Fanatic!
Rippin101 is a splendid one to beholdRippin101 is a splendid one to beholdRippin101 is a splendid one to beholdRippin101 is a splendid one to beholdRippin101 is a splendid one to beholdRippin101 is a splendid one to beholdRippin101 is a splendid one to beholdRippin101 is a splendid one to behold

Name: John
Rippin101's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris4x4 View Post
Biltstien 5100:
Mono tube shock, with high presure nitrogen charge, Floating piston, speed sensative valveing.

OME N140S: Twin tube, low presure nitrogen charge,floating piston, speed sensative valveing.

Pros of 5100:
Adjustable height with OEM spring. More oil than OEM TRD Bilstiens

Pros of OME N140S:
More oil than 5100. Low pressure nitrogen means more compliant on the smaller bumps, less likely to leak.
Good stuff
Old 03-18-2009, 09:23 PM   #11
09 but I drive a 012 Expedition...
tacoholic is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoholic is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoholic is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoholic is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoholic is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoholic is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoholic is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoholic is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoholic is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoholic is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoholic is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jeff...I'm pretty sure
tacoholic's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to tacoholic
I like it!

"I yelled for Chris, he'll be here in a sec..."

Comes through with all info needed plus.

Thank god for a man like Chris!
Old 03-19-2009, 09:10 AM   #12
2009tacomav6 is just really nice2009tacomav6 is just really nice2009tacomav6 is just really nice2009tacomav6 is just really nice
Navy:
2009tacomav6's Tacoma Gallery
great info,,,, while reading chris's post I was thinking maybe I should get 5100's but in the end the OME sound like a solid play