LSC15's 95 Tacoma 4x4

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

Need advice on rear suspension, please!

Old 12-24-2013, 12:21 PM   #1
RicardoM is on a distinguished road

RicardoM's Tacoma Gallery
Need advice on rear suspension, please!

Hello there. I bought the Deaver 10-leafs and Bilstein 5160 for the rear. I love the ride. But I feel like needs a little more lift. I like the tail of the truck a little more raised than the front. And need some more clearance between the bumpstop and the frame. When driving at 40 mi/hr and pass over a bump, ford, or other noticeable road imperfections the bump-stop hits the frame. I know that is what supposed to do, but I think it is not normal at lower speeds (Never happened with my old 98 tacoma, or my camry). How can I fix that? What do I need to buy/replace? The distance between the bumpstop and the frame is 3 and a half inches.
Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
Need advice on rear suspension, please!-1.jpg   Need advice on rear suspension, please!-2.jpg   Need advice on rear suspension, please!-3.jpg  
Old 12-28-2013, 09:18 AM   #2

Bump...
Anyone?
Old 12-28-2013, 10:21 AM   #3
mooker82 has a brilliant futuremooker82 has a brilliant futuremooker82 has a brilliant futuremooker82 has a brilliant futuremooker82 has a brilliant futuremooker82 has a brilliant futuremooker82 has a brilliant futuremooker82 has a brilliant futuremooker82 has a brilliant futuremooker82 has a brilliant futuremooker82 has a brilliant future
mooker82's Tacoma Gallery
Snap a pictures of the rear with all tires on the ground. As it looks now I do not see anyway the rear bumpstops would hit frame going over bumps unless the truck is seriously loaded down.
Old 12-28-2013, 10:27 AM   #4
brian65oh is on a distinguished road
Coast Guard: machinery technician
Name: Brian
brian65oh's Tacoma Gallery
which pack?

is that the J66 pack?
Old 12-28-2013, 11:12 AM   #5

THANKS for replying!
With no load it hits... I will take this afternoon a video with a gopro installed on the frame.
I really dont know what model of the 10 leaf pack I have, I just bought it from wheelersoffrad dot com with this description in the invoice:
Leaf Spring Set – Deaver Tacoma 4X4 and PreRunner 10 Rear Leaf × 1 $624.95

I already wrote them a week ago and still have not answer from them, maybe because the holidays.
Old 12-28-2013, 11:15 AM   #6
Questions... Morphology? Longevity? Incept dates?
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Peter North
OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by brian65oh View Post
is that the J66 pack?

This one ?

http://youtu.be/T553scxGcMQ
Old 12-28-2013, 12:31 PM   #7
mooker82 has a brilliant futuremooker82 has a brilliant futuremooker82 has a brilliant futuremooker82 has a brilliant futuremooker82 has a brilliant futuremooker82 has a brilliant futuremooker82 has a brilliant futuremooker82 has a brilliant futuremooker82 has a brilliant futuremooker82 has a brilliant futuremooker82 has a brilliant future
Quote:
Originally Posted by OZ-T View Post

Wow....that is a soft leaf pack.
Old 12-28-2013, 12:49 PM   #8
Questions... Morphology? Longevity? Incept dates?
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Peter North
OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by RicardoM View Post
THANKS for replying!
With no load it hits... I will take this afternoon a video with a gopro installed on the frame.
I really dont know what model of the 10 leaf pack I have, I just bought it from wheelersoffrad dot com with this description in the invoice:
Leaf Spring Set – Deaver Tacoma 4X4 and PreRunner 10 Rear Leaf × 1 $624.95

I already wrote them a week ago and still have not answer from them, maybe because the holidays.

These ones ?

http://wheelersoffroad.com/product/l...af-spring-set/

Product code : DR J66

So , I would presume that they are the J66 pack
Old 12-28-2013, 06:46 PM   #9

That's Correct! Those are then... so there is the problem!
I didn't bought other brand because I read a lot of "buy Daever!, can't go wrong!". Well, I will write to Wheelers guys, to see if there is a reasonable solution for this, Maybe an Add a leaf can help.
THANK YOU GUYS! You really relieved me a headache.
Old 12-28-2013, 08:21 PM   #10
Quote:
That's Correct! Those are then... so there is the problem!
I didn't bought other brand because I read a lot of "buy Daever!, can't go wrong!". Well, I will write to Wheelers guys, to see if there is a reasonable solution for this, Maybe an Add a leaf can help.
THANK YOU GUYS! You really relieved me a headache.
What is the truck used for? Is it a daily driver that hauls stuff? I think the Deaver springs are perfect for a long travel softly sprung truck but soft for a daily
Driver.
Old 12-29-2013, 04:46 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooker82 View Post
What is the truck used for?
Daily driver, and camping/wheeling at weekends. Sometimes I haul a 14' boat or a custom made trailer for carrying camping stuff (coolers, tents, chairs, tables, fishing gear, gas, stove, etc).

Today I went to fishing, and the place we went has like 30 miles of dirt roads. I really love the ride, it handles beautifully but the knocking on the bumpstops very often worries me. I didn't use the trailer, just the truck, a cooler and fishing gear.

I hope an Add-a-leaf fixes this, because I would like to rise an extra inch in the rear (I personally like a little more lifted in the rear, so when I add weight does not look like it's going off like a plane). I'm still waiting for a comment from the dealer.
Thanks guys,
Ricardo.
Old 12-29-2013, 06:05 PM   #13
brian65oh is on a distinguished road
Coast Guard: machinery technician
Name: Brian
brian65oh's Tacoma Gallery
adding a leaf

There is a thread somewhere that talks about deaver helping someone out and adding a leaf and re arching the pack. I also have these and they do tend to be very soft and sometimes bottom out. I think its a bad design anyways since they sit at almost negative arch. I will be doing a SUA swap soon and from the looks of everyone elses they love it.
Old 12-31-2013, 02:42 AM   #14
Sublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Sublime's Tacoma Gallery
Deavers suck and bilstein's valving does too (soft and soft). Get different springs AND shocks.
Old 12-31-2013, 08:02 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sublime View Post
Deavers suck and bilstein's valving does too (soft and soft). Get different springs AND shocks.
Any suggestions?
Old 01-02-2014, 08:25 PM   #16
01 dhrracer is on a distinguished road
01 dhrracer's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Hello there. I bought the Deaver 10-leafs and Bilstein 5160 for the rear. I love the ride. But I feel like needs a little more lift. I like the tail of the truck a little more raised than the front. And need some more clearance between the bumpstop and the frame. When driving at 40 mi/hr and pass over a bump, ford, or other noticeable road imperfections the bump-stop hits the frame. I know that is what supposed to do, but I think it is not normal at lower speeds (Never happened with my old 98 tacoma, or my camry). How can I fix that? What do I need to buy/replace? The distance between the bumpstop and the frame is 3 and a half inches.
Thanks!
I think you need to understand what your goals are and what products meet those goals. One thing rear spring MFG's need to do is better explain the intended purpose, spring rate and range of travel the springs are designed for. The two guys in the video are _ _ _ _ ing idots. I would say a completely different spring pack is what you need. The Deavers are more of race truck type application. If you can see on race trucks for the forces the suspension sees they are lightly sprung with the control controlled by high quality multiple shocks.
Old 01-02-2014, 09:06 PM   #17

Actually I like to drive dirty roads over 65mph... I did it last weekend, and the drive was amazing, but in some bumps, the rear suspension hits hard the frame. I need something less soft, or better yet, something to stiff the ride a little. Maybe an Add a Leaf can help, or those Timbren (or similar) air bags. But not sure if they gonna handle it some small jumps that I like to do sometimes. Anyway it is my daily drive/offroad/camping truck.
Old 01-02-2014, 09:34 PM   #18
cRaZy oLdmAn
4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Doug
4WD's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 01 dhrracer View Post
I think you need to understand what your goals are and what products meet those goals. One thing rear spring MFG's need to do is better explain the intended purpose, spring rate and range of travel the springs are designed for. The two guys in the video are _ _ _ _ ing idots. I would say a completely different spring pack is what you need. The Deavers are more of race truck type application. If you can see on race trucks for the forces the suspension sees they are lightly sprung with the control controlled by high quality multiple shocks.

Well , I'm one of the fucking idiots in the video, the other fucking idiot is the one that paid $700.00 & change for a leafpack that was/is mediocre at best, not even a stock 2 leaf non TSB will bottom out while jumping on it, his money, his spring, he can jump on it all he wants, & the J-66 IS a piece of shit, Everyone knows it, DEAVER knows it, & your reference to being "lightly sprung" on race trucks, you dont know what the hell your talking about
Old 01-02-2014, 09:54 PM   #19
2008taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed2008taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed2008taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed2008taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed2008taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed2008taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed2008taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed2008taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed2008taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed2008taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed2008taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: chris
2008taco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4WD View Post
Well , I'm one of the fucking idiots in the video, the other fucking idiot is the one that paid $700.00 & change for a leafpack that was/is mediocre at best, not even a stock 2 leaf non TSB will bottom out while jumping on it, his money, his spring, he can jump on it all he wants, & the J-66 IS a piece of shit, Everyone knows it, DEAVER knows it, & your reference to being "lightly sprung" on race trucks, you dont know what the hell your talking about
I'll second this. He is one of the fucking idiots in the video!
Old 01-02-2014, 09:56 PM   #20
cRaZy oLdmAn
4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Doug
4WD's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2008taco View Post
I'll second this. He is one of the fucking idiots in the video!

Thanks for the confirmation douchebag....