Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

Got Alignment. Need help understanding.

Old 03-19-2009, 09:44 PM   #1
redrum430 is on a distinguished road
redrum430's Tacoma Gallery
Got Alignment. Need help understanding.

Hello all, got an alignment today but do not know what to make of the results as the techs at my local Firestone were in a hurry to get out of there and did not explain the results. I've read that caster should be 2.5-3.1 and toe and camber 0 to be in spec. The results of my alignment are pictured below. Everything is within the specified range except SAI. Should I be concerned? Should I get another alignment (got the lifetime firestone alignment)? Any help would be appreciated. Thank you.

BTW I'm running icon coilovers, set at 3.5" of lift with tc ucas.

Thanks!

Old 03-19-2009, 10:21 PM   #2
bajamoon is one of the sharper tools in the shedbajamoon is one of the sharper tools in the shedbajamoon is one of the sharper tools in the shedbajamoon is one of the sharper tools in the shedbajamoon is one of the sharper tools in the shedbajamoon is one of the sharper tools in the shedbajamoon is one of the sharper tools in the shedbajamoon is one of the sharper tools in the shedbajamoon is one of the sharper tools in the shedbajamoon is one of the sharper tools in the shedbajamoon is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: STEVE
bajamoon's Tacoma Gallery
don't know the answer to your question but how does it ride, does it pull to one side. you are lucky, firestone would not do my truck because it has a lift.
Old 03-19-2009, 10:31 PM   #3
Hello Baja, I haven't noticed it pulling to any side yet.

As far as getting the alignment done at firestone...I hope I don't have trouble getting alignments again or at other locations because the tech was complaining to the store manager about the lift when he was done aligning my truck.
Old 03-20-2009, 03:09 AM   #4
David Tarantino is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid Tarantino is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid Tarantino is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid Tarantino is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid Tarantino is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid Tarantino is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid Tarantino is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid Tarantino is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid Tarantino is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid Tarantino is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid Tarantino is one of the sharper tools in the shed

David Tarantino's Tacoma Gallery
where you there when the alignment was being done
how long did it take
Old 03-20-2009, 03:19 AM   #5
Carolina Alliance: LAZY DIVISION
AUDITECH has a brilliant futureAUDITECH has a brilliant futureAUDITECH has a brilliant futureAUDITECH has a brilliant futureAUDITECH has a brilliant futureAUDITECH has a brilliant futureAUDITECH has a brilliant futureAUDITECH has a brilliant futureAUDITECH has a brilliant futureAUDITECH has a brilliant futureAUDITECH has a brilliant future
AUDITECH's Tacoma Gallery
You look pretty good. Had to google sai forgot what it was been a while since i have done an alignment.
SAI)
SAI is the measurement in degrees of the steering pivot line when viewed from the front of the vehicle. This angle, when added to the camber to form the included angle (see below) causes the vehicle to lift slightly when you turn the wheel away from a straight ahead position. This action uses the weight of the vehicle to cause the steering wheel to return to the center when you let go of it after making a turn. Because of this, if the SAI is different from side to side, it will cause a pull at very slow speeds. Most alignment machines have a way to measure SAI; however it is not separately adjustable. The most likely cause for SAI being out is bent parts which must be replaced to correct the condition. SAI is also referred to as KPI (King Pin Inclination) on trucks and old cars with king pins instead of ball joints

Hopefully this will help with all the other items in spec and you sai is not that different then you should be good
Old 03-20-2009, 05:23 AM   #6
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Tarantino View Post
where you there when the alignment was being done
how long did it take
I was there and it took about an hour and fifteen minutes.
Old 03-20-2009, 05:28 AM   #7
David Tarantino is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid Tarantino is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid Tarantino is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid Tarantino is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid Tarantino is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid Tarantino is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid Tarantino is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid Tarantino is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid Tarantino is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid Tarantino is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid Tarantino is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by redrum430 View Post
I was there and it took about an hour and fifteen minutes.
well its in spec i just dont like the camber reading
side to side
Old 03-20-2009, 05:55 AM   #8
thank you all for the responses.

David, first thing I did when I got home after the alignment was google SAI. I read that if SAI was above spec that some upper component is bent so i got a little worried.
Old 03-20-2009, 07:08 AM   #9
nngg4 is on a distinguished road
nngg4's Tacoma Gallery
The camber difference side to side is nothing to worry about. In fact it's ideal. many manufacturers specify a higher reading on the driver's side to compensate for road crown to keep the vehicle going straight down the road.

Before getting concerned about the SAI being out of spec, I'd check the ride height of your body and frame at all four corners to see if any problems exist. Depending on how aggressive you are off road, could be some tweaks going on here. As one other member mentioned, could be a tweak in the suspension too.

The main thing is how does the truck drive? If it travels smooth and straight, no uneven tire wear, you're in great shape. If you're spending a lot of time off road, you gotta expect "stuff" is going to happen. And it may be outside what can be adjusted for with stock parts. I agree that you're lucky they sold you a lifetime alignment. Most shops don't sell them (none of the off-road shops I know of do) and you're really outside the "comfort zone" of most (if not all) chain automotive retailers and their techs. Most shops that do sell them won't on a modified vehicle.

The Tacoma is a great truck, but not really "heavy duty", so expect plenty of "tweaks" in the future.
Old 03-20-2009, 07:12 AM   #10
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by nngg4 View Post
The camber difference side to side is nothing to worry about. In fact it's ideal. many manufacturers specify a higher reading on the driver's side to compensate for road crown to keep the vehicle going straight down the road.....

.......The Tacoma is a great truck, but not really "heavy duty", so expect plenty of "tweaks" in the future.
Welcome to TW!
Old 03-20-2009, 07:19 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by nngg4 View Post
The camber difference side to side is nothing to worry about. In fact it's ideal. many manufacturers specify a higher reading on the driver's side to compensate for road crown to keep the vehicle going straight down the road.

Before getting concerned about the SAI being out of spec, I'd check the ride height of your body and frame at all four corners to see if any problems exist. Depending on how aggressive you are off road, could be some tweaks going on here. As one other member mentioned, could be a tweak in the suspension too.

The main thing is how does the truck drive? If it travels smooth and straight, no uneven tire wear, you're in great shape. If you're spending a lot of time off road, you gotta expect "stuff" is going to happen. And it may be outside what can be adjusted for with stock parts. I agree that you're lucky they sold you a lifetime alignment. Most shops don't sell them (none of the off-road shops I know of do) and you're really outside the "comfort zone" of most (if not all) chain automotive retailers and their techs. Most shops that do sell them won't on a modified vehicle.

The Tacoma is a great truck, but not really "heavy duty", so expect plenty of "tweaks" in the future.
never said it was a concern i just feel its a littel high
Welcome to T/w
Old 03-22-2009, 12:38 AM   #12
canuck_tacoma will become famous soon enough
canuck_tacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Just had mine done, after a 2" lift. They were just able to get it within spec. And yes, my camber is different on each side to compensate for road crown as well.