1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Why is everyone against lift blocks?

Discussion in 'Suspension' started by spencer00si, Jan 4, 2014.

1. Jan 4, 2014 at 7:32 PM
    Rich91710

Rich91710 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    08 Base
    Satoshi with FJ badge, factory cruise, factory intermittent wipers, Redline Tuning hood-lift struts, Hellwig Swaybar, Rosen DVD-Nav
    Spacer lift won't extend the shock either... but it increases the available up-travel in the control arms while not increasing the available up-travel in the shock.
    If the bump stops are not extended by the same height as the spacer, you risk topping the shock out, and likely breaking the lower mount.

2. Jan 4, 2014 at 7:35 PM
    BamaToy1997

BamaToy1997 Wheel Bearing Master

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    Navarre, FL
    Vehicle:
    1997 Tacoma 4X4 AKA "Blue Beast"
    best wheel bearings around! www.marionbumper2bumper.com
    Far from an internet myth. It is based in fact. Do the research. ANYTHING that moves the axle housing away from direct bolting to the leaf pack WILL cause an increase in axle wrap. Not only that, but there is a safety issue with blocks as well. If you are ever in an accident, having a block that separates the axle housing from the leaf pack will also increase the chance that severe damage, and possible axle separation from the truck will occur. I have had it happen first hand with a truck I used to own with a 3 inch block kit. Minor hit in the rear and the u-bolts were torn and the axle was pulled out from under my truck. the best and SAFEST method of a lift is AAL or a new leaf pack.

3. Jan 4, 2014 at 7:38 PM
    IDtrucks

IDtrucks Unhinged and Fluid

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark "Buck"
    Jackson Wyoming
    Vehicle:
    96' X-Cab 4x4 TRD Off Road Clusterfuck
    JVC Deck, 10" sub mountd in rear seat cubby, 2 LED off road lights mounted in grille, amber raptor style grille lights, LED rock lights, square led bed light, custom made fuse block tray, 12 blade Blue Sea fuse block, 100a marine circuit breaker, black plasti dipped full grille, tinted tail lights + third, Uniden 520 with 4' firestik, Bilstein 5100s with 620lb Eibach coils, Diff drop, Chevy 63 leaf swap, TG creeper joints, 14" triangulated biletein 5125s, 8" extended steel braided brake line, TG Rock Sliders, CBI Moab 1.0 front bumper, custom fabbed bed rack, full TRD E-Locker axle swap and matching re-gear with custom stand alone wiring circuit, 29 spline pinion flange from an 06 wishbone runner, tubbed for 35x12.5" general grabbers on Ultra type 181 wheels, crush sleeve eliminator, Mini ARB compressor, front ARB locker, garage fab aluminum front skid plate, custom built high clearence rear bumper, removable mothafuckin doors
    Instead of getting blocks which only add lift, I would get a new set of shackles. If you get tall enough ones you can get an inch of lift out of them a more droop. However there still is a downside. It decreases your payload capacity and can wear out your leafs quicker. Also with the increased droop you would probably have to measure and get new shocks as well.

4. Jan 4, 2014 at 7:47 PM
    Rich91710

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    08 Base
    Satoshi with FJ badge, factory cruise, factory intermittent wipers, Redline Tuning hood-lift struts, Hellwig Swaybar, Rosen DVD-Nav
    How? You aren't changing the geometry (ignoring the pinion angle), only the relative position of the spring WRT the frame.
    The axle will move down roughly half of the change in spring eye position.
    Torsional loading on the springs is not increased, and weight loading is decreased if the front end is not lifted, remains the same if the entire truck is lifted.

5. Jan 4, 2014 at 7:58 PM
    mountainwolfpup

mountainwolfpup Ford Guy (Formerly known as a Toyota Guy)

Member:
    Vancouver, WA
    Vehicle:
    2015 Ford F150 Lariat FX4 3.5l Eco
    First month of ownership... This month I'm removing front air dam, and also Rhino lining the bed.
    How about a body lift ???

OK, TW folks are generally down on this approach but I am a big fan of them. Leaves the suspension intact and allows you to put larger tires on the truck and looks awesome! Off road performance is NOT increased. But cheap and really no down sides.

I have a 1" body lift on my truck and was able to do it myself in a few hours and parts were like $60.00 you can really do any lift you want this way, 3", 5", whatever. Of course, if you go with a big lift DO NOT go off-road. These lifts are really for looks only.

Anyway, it is a nice alternative to the "rabbit hole" of... upgrade this and then that and this also... involved in a suspension lift. And blocks are the WORST. They mess up the ride of the truck.

I guess the best question is: What are YOUR goals for this lift ???
    :confused:

6. Jan 4, 2014 at 8:14 PM
    Buckoma

Buckoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Buckeye, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2016 TRD Sport 4x4
    I would also... and do. I've got longer, beefer shackles that add 1-1.5"

I just get a little annoyed at "purists" chanting a one size fits all mentality. Of course there's a range and some things ARE better than others, but I'm much too populist to join the elitists that believe there is a 100% right way and all others are 100% wrong :cool:

7. Jan 4, 2014 at 8:17 PM
    Rich91710

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    08 Base
    As with blocks, 1" isn't too bad on a body lift.
    Personally, I find body lifts to be ugly (over 1.5") the way they expose the frame, and there's a lot of half-assed BLs out there where the bumpers are not properly relocated.
    They can cause binding in the steering system, particularly on trucks like the 1st Gen Tundra where the rack was on the back of the crossmember.

From a safety perspective? The airbag sensors may no longer be in a good location in relation to the bumper.

Also, as with blocks increasing torsional loads on the leaf pack, raising the body mounts puts a greater torsional load on the mounts, which changes the primary load on the attachment bolts from shear to tension.

Wiring? Where the wiring harness jumps from the frame to the body, there is not a lot of slack in the harness.

8. Jan 4, 2014 at 8:45 PM
    spencer00si

spencer00si [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Clermont, Florida
    Vehicle:
    09 DCLB
    Maxtrac spindles, billies at 1.75, allpro stnd leaf pack
    So the only down size is axle wrap basically. I had axle wrap since i bought my truck with 26k miles on it, i just replaced the stock leafs with the allpro standards and still have axle wrap though not as bad as i did with the stock leafs.
    I only want to get a 1" block since that is all the thread i have left on the ubolt flip kit i put on.

I dont offroad my truck ever, its a street queen

Does anyone have a true real life bad experience with a 1" block?

Last edited: Jan 4, 2014
  9. Jan 4, 2014 at 8:53 PM
    Rich91710

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    08 Base
    Ya
    You do know that you are not supposed to re-use those?
    You can re-torque to bring them back up if they work loose, but once those nuts are on, they should not be removed and reinstalled.
    Nuts come off, replace the U-bolts.

10. Jan 4, 2014 at 9:00 PM
    Mainmoe02

Mainmoe02 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Moe
    Austin, Texas
    Vehicle:
    01 Gold tacoma SR5 TRD
    3" lift EIBACH coils w/ 5100's front, OME/ Dakar leaf springs w/ toytec adjustable shackles at 1.5" and 5125's out back. 33x10.5x15 KM2's Relentless DIY steel bumper.
    Yeah you should have bought new/ longer U-bolts when you bought the leaf springs. If your using the last bit of thread on stock U-Bolts to add the block then your setting yourself up for disaster

11. Jan 4, 2014 at 9:00 PM
    spencer00si

Member:
    Clermont, Florida
    Vehicle:
    09 DCLB
    I really dont see why you would have to replace the ubolts after they have been installed....doesnt make sense. What makes them any different than any other bolt? You dont have to replace wheel studs everytime you take the wheel off

12. Jan 4, 2014 at 9:02 PM
    blackhawke88

blackhawke88 wo ai ni bao bei ^_^

Member:
    SGV, CA
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD Offroad
    :rofl:

13. Jan 4, 2014 at 9:03 PM
    Rich91710

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    08 Base
    The nuts are self-locking and the threads on the nuts and bolts deform slightly.
    That's why they are so difficult to install and you can't just "spin them down" like a lug nut.

If you were able to hand-spin those nuts all the way down, then I guess you could reuse them, but it is not a quality bolt that I would want under my truck.

14. Jan 4, 2014 at 9:03 PM
    spencer00si

Member:
    Clermont, Florida
    Vehicle:
    09 DCLB
    I have appx 1.25" left of thread on the u bolts...even with longer ones people cut the remainder of the thread off when they are done so whats the difference

15. Jan 4, 2014 at 9:05 PM
    Mainmoe02

Member:
    First Name:
    Moe
    Austin, Texas
    Vehicle:
    01 Gold tacoma SR5 TRD
    3" lift EIBACH coils w/ 5100's front, OME/ Dakar leaf springs w/ toytec adjustable shackles at 1.5" and 5125's out back. 33x10.5x15 KM2's Relentless DIY steel bumper.
    The U-bolts and nuts have deep threads. They are made to be torqued down once, and not loosened and retightened because it distorts the threads

16. Jan 4, 2014 at 9:07 PM
    spencer00si

Member:
    Clermont, Florida
    Vehicle:
    09 DCLB
    Ok....makes since they were a bitch to tighten....it was a new allpro flip kit i installed when i did the leafs. So if i take them off couldnt i use locktite?

17. Jan 4, 2014 at 9:08 PM
    Mainmoe02

Member:
    First Name:
    Moe
    Austin, Texas
    Vehicle:
    01 Gold tacoma SR5 TRD

Yeah but they leave a couple inches. They don't cut up to the nut. You gotta leave some room. The 1.25" you have left should be left where it's at or get longer U-bolts if you do end up adding blocks

18. Jan 4, 2014 at 9:08 PM
    Rich91710

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    08 Base
    No.
    The threads will be compromised.
    If you take them off, replace the bolts and nuts.
    You can reuse the plates.

19. Jan 4, 2014 at 9:13 PM
    spencer00si

Member:
    Clermont, Florida
    Vehicle:
    09 DCLB
    So even if i got lift shackles i would need to get new ubolts.

I think im just going to leave it alone, it has turned into a money pit

20. Jan 4, 2014 at 10:01 PM
    neegdogdig

neegdogdig Untrained with bad experiences go go go!

Member:
    Vehicle:
    3rd Gen DC V6
    Only an inch of block will not harm anything on ur truck just a bit stiffer ride. I prefer a set of aal in stead of block. When u have 2 set of 3 inch aal stack on top of each other n a 4 1/2 inch block on top of da axle like mine total of 7-8 inches lift then u'll feel da differences.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2014

Products Discussed in

To Top