1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Broken Rear Leaf Spring and Newb Question

Discussion in 'Suspension' started by rmawhinney, Jan 8, 2014.

1. Jan 8, 2014 at 8:12 AM
    rmawhinney

rmawhinney [OP] Member

Member:
    Maine
    Vehicle:
    05 TRD Off Road
    Hey guys I have been lurking here for a while and I finally have a reason to post so here it goes. I apologize for my ignorance in advance! So I have a 2005 TRD and I have a broken leaf spring. It is inspection time and I have to get this fixed ASAP. The garage (where I got it inspected) quoted me a single side OEM spring pack at $635 so obviously I am not doing that since this is the third broken leaf this truck has had with OEM parts. I do not necessarily want to lift my truck and definitely do not have the money to do so right now. I also however want to upgrade these leaf packs. So I think I am settling on WHEELER 5 LEAF. I know enough to get myself in trouble mechanically so I wanted to run this by you guys before I do it.

My question is. If I put the Wheeler 5 leaf packs on can I leave everything else stock? I am thinking if it lifts it too much in the rear then I can just put Bilstein 5100s on the front down the road. Does this make sense? Will this work or am I missing something?

Thanks for any help and insight I really appreciate it!

2. Jan 8, 2014 at 8:17 AM
    jspansel

jspansel Just duct tape it

Member:
    First Name:
    Jay
    Central OR
    Vehicle:
    01 V6 Xtra Cab Tacoma, 5 Speed, 4x4, Lifted
    5100s front at 2.5" with Moog replacement springs, 5100s in rear with 2" Wheeler's AAL
    You could absolutely do that. IF they do actually lift up too much more than stock, you should replace the rear shocks too probably though.

3. Jan 8, 2014 at 8:32 AM
    rmawhinney

rmawhinney [OP] Member

Member:
    Maine
    Vehicle:
    05 TRD Off Road
    Awesome! I have searched everywhere for those words lol. Ya I should have said replace all of the shocks with 5100s which is what I would do and probably still would at some point when the money is there. Thank you so much for the quick response!

4. Jan 8, 2014 at 8:36 AM
    Houston-76

Houston-76 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Montgomery Co Tx
    Vehicle:
    08 trd pr dcsb
    Tinted windows - weathertech floor mats - removed front mudflaps - no seatbelt chime mod - fogs on anytime mod - Borla catback exhaust - afe throttle body spacer - K&n filter - Kmc Xd hoss wheels 17X9 4.5 backspace - rubbers are 275/65 17 yokahama geolander a/t's - Maxtrac 4" lift spindles - allpro standard leafsprings - 1.25 rear wheel spacers - arctic white headlights and fogs - kings coming soon - supercharger coming later
    or instead of buying new shocks you can get the 3" shock extensions at toytech.com for 15.00 $ thats what I'm using as of now after installing the allpro leafsprings, they gave me about 3 1/2" of lift.

5. Jan 8, 2014 at 8:40 AM
    Houston-76

Member:
    Montgomery Co Tx
    Vehicle:
    08 trd pr dcsb
    Tinted windows - weathertech floor mats - removed front mudflaps - no seatbelt chime mod - fogs on anytime mod - Borla catback exhaust - afe throttle body spacer - K&n filter - Kmc Xd hoss wheels 17X9 4.5 backspace - rubbers are 275/65 17 yokahama geolander a/t's - Maxtrac 4" lift spindles - allpro standard leafsprings - 1.25 rear wheel spacers - arctic white headlights and fogs - kings coming soon - supercharger coming later
    just sayin your gonna need shock extenders or longer shocks in back if if you get leafspring packs that raise your height :)

6. Jan 8, 2014 at 9:21 AM
    rmawhinney

rmawhinney [OP] Member

Member:
    Maine
    Vehicle:
    05 TRD Off Road
    Are the Wheeler 5 leaf going to raise my height so that I have to increase the length of my rear shocks?

7. Jan 8, 2014 at 9:41 AM
    jspansel

Member:
    First Name:
    Jay
    Central OR
    Vehicle:
    5100s front at 2.5" with Moog replacement springs, 5100s in rear with 2" Wheeler's AAL
    Shouldnt. At least not more than the 5100s can handle.

8. Jan 8, 2014 at 9:48 AM
    Houston-76

Member:
    Montgomery Co Tx
    Vehicle:
    08 trd pr dcsb
    i recomend the allpro leafpacks, thats what i run and there real smooth as compared to the stock leafs, they raised mine 3 - 3 1/2" and you will definitely need extensions or longer shocks to compensate. As far as wheelers they sell mutiple brands like deaver & alcan so you should probably search around here and get opinions on those brands to see how much lift they achieve, but the all pros are awesome and are a popular option, go to allpro offroad.com and check em out

9. Jan 8, 2014 at 9:51 AM
    Phil Dammit

Phil Dammit Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Your Mom
    Tempe, Arizona
    Vehicle:
    05 5 lug minitrucker
    4.5/5.5 drop, DJM arms, QA1 coilovers, 6lug leafs, QA1 18-way, rear swaybar, Batwing Big brakes, high flow cat, indy/hurst shifter, memphis amps, focal 3-ways, Eclipse AV unit, SunDown 10" custom box, TRD bucket swap.
    I have a set of 5lug leafs sitting in my garage. 100 bucks shipped. Will lift you 1.5-2" in the rear without AAL. Can ship them out tomorrow. PM me if interested. You wont need shock extenders unless you are looking to achieve full droop.

10. Jan 8, 2014 at 9:58 AM
    Houston-76

Member:
    Montgomery Co Tx
    Vehicle:
    08 trd pr dcsb
    why would anyone not want full droop :confused: get extenders

11. Jan 8, 2014 at 10:06 AM
    Houston-76

Member:
    Montgomery Co Tx
    Vehicle:
    08 trd pr dcsb
    sounds like a great deal here, i would jump on it thats dirt cheap buddy :)

12. Jan 8, 2014 at 10:09 AM
    Phil Dammit

Member:
    First Name:
    Your Mom
    Tempe, Arizona
    Vehicle:
    05 5 lug minitrucker
    4.5/5.5 drop, DJM arms, QA1 coilovers, 6lug leafs, QA1 18-way, rear swaybar, Batwing Big brakes, high flow cat, indy/hurst shifter, memphis amps, focal 3-ways, Eclipse AV unit, SunDown 10" custom box, TRD bucket swap.
    Why go the extra mile if you aren't taking your truck the extra mile. If its going to see the dirt once a year, who cares? If your looking to wheel it then yes, upgrade to a nice pack, nice emulsions, straps, the full nine. If not who GAF? na mean?
    Yeah, Im just trying to get rid of them. Cheap inexpensive way to lift if that is all you are trying to achieve without adding an AAL.

13. Jan 8, 2014 at 10:22 AM
    whahahajr

whahahajr Lone Star Club

Member:
    First Name:
    jimbob
    New Braunfels, Tx
    Vehicle:
    07 Tacoma TRD
    Camburg Uniball UCA, ARB Front Bumper, TAG rear bumper, OME rear shocks, All Pro 3" leaf springs
    I think OP was looking for non OEM due to being on his 3rd leaf. I'm not sure if 2wd has the same problem breaking leafs as 4wd does though.

But I know some one here will let us know... (I love TW)

14. Jan 8, 2014 at 10:28 AM
    Houston-76

Member:
    Montgomery Co Tx
    Vehicle:
    08 trd pr dcsb
    @ phil dammit, yeah i hear ya with 1-2" shouldn't be a problem, but when I got my all pros it lifted it close to 3 1/2" so my stock shocks were bangin out on uptravel alot. So if he was to buy your shouldnt be a problem

15. Jan 8, 2014 at 10:35 AM
    Phil Dammit

Member:
    First Name:
    Your Mom
    Tempe, Arizona
    Vehicle:
    05 5 lug minitrucker
    Yeah, that makes total sense. Up travel would definitely be an issue. I have yet to hear about any guys snapping leafs on 5lugs. I have put a lot of weight on these leafs without issue, had an AAL in them when I was lifted and they took even more abuse. Only reason they are not on my truck is because I went LOWERDZED.

16. Jan 8, 2014 at 10:45 AM
    Phil Dammit

Member:
    First Name:
    Your Mom
    Tempe, Arizona
    Vehicle:
    05 5 lug minitrucker
    PM sent bro! Hopefully we will have you back on the road in no time.

17. Jan 8, 2014 at 12:27 PM
    rmawhinney

rmawhinney [OP] Member

Member:
    Maine
    Vehicle:
    05 TRD Off Road
    Money sent for that price how can you resist. I will save my pennies and upgrade the whole thing down the road. Thanks guys!

18. Jan 8, 2014 at 12:30 PM
    jspansel

Member:
    First Name:
    Jay
    Central OR
    Vehicle:
    Great deal!!!

19. Jan 8, 2014 at 12:31 PM
    Phil Dammit

Member:
    First Name:
    Your Mom
    Tempe, Arizona
    Vehicle:
    05 5 lug minitrucker
    werd dawgy, daddy will send these out by end of week at the latest! Glad I could help.

20. Jan 8, 2014 at 12:48 PM
    Mr Salty

Mr Salty "Give up the good to go for the great"

Member:
    First Name:
    Hermmy
    SoCal (Bro Capital of the world)
    Vehicle:
    White SR5 Pre-runner
    Lots of chrome
    Shocks extenders are garbage. Why spend the money on leaf packs and buy shocks extenders.

Very inaccurate statement and they are not even designed to compare to stock packs. The stock packs are way softer and flex way easier. In the dirt they are too soft though and thus the aftermarket packs fight the bumps better, which equates to a stiffer ride on road and offroad in the little stuff.

With those extenders are you running longer brake lines and hows the collapse length? You hitting the bumps at uptravel?

They are the same packs dude ;)

May be more common for the 4x4s simply because they actaully use/abuse their trucks more, the problem is the same for both.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2014

Products Discussed in

To Top