1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Need Help with Bilstein 5125 (24-214667) Installation

Discussion in 'Suspension' started by madiger, Jan 10, 2014.

1. Jan 10, 2014 at 2:37 PM
    madiger

madiger [OP] Member

Member:
    San Diego
    Vehicle:
    06 Tacoma TRD Sport
    Just got my two rear shocks today and they look great, but they came with a lot of bushings and washers (see pic below), and I'm not sure how they're supposed to be assembled.

[​IMG]

Initially I thought the bushings and washers would fit like this, with the upper shock mount on the truck fitting between the bushings where the red arrow is, but that leaves almost no thread on the piston to lock it down. Seems like the bushings this set of shocks came with are way too fat.

[​IMG]

The part number is 24-214667, and it's a Bilstein 5125 I'm trying to install on a 2006 TRD sport. Any help is appreciated.

2. Jan 10, 2014 at 2:56 PM
    PerfectTekniq

PerfectTekniq I'm undefeated in the UFC.

Member:
    First Name:
    Pepe Silvia
    Claremont, CA
    Vehicle:
    2009 Super White 4x4 DC SB Sport
    AllPro Front, AllPro Rear w/ wraps, AllPro IFS Skid, 5100 w/ 885's upfront, Duratracs, Front Superbumps, BuiltRight UCAs, Dakar Leaf Pack, Extended 5100's, AllPro Flip Kit, Rear Superbumps, Extended SS brake lines WeatherTech Floormats, TRD Intake, ScanGaugeII, TRD SoCal, Grillcraft, Wet Okoles, Cobra 75 w/ 4' whip
    It's been awhile but I'm pretty sure I installed the same way except both my bushings were flipped.

did you put the truck back on the ground, the weight would more than likely give you enough thread.

3. Jan 10, 2014 at 3:00 PM
    kieth

kieth Well-Known Member

Member:
    British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    06 trd
    Full OME lift with Dakars, 886s and LR UCA's, Firestone air bags w\ onboard compressor, 2 kicker CVT 10" subs , MB Quart 1000w amp ,Alpine media player
    there should have been a small piece of paper with an illustration that came with them to show proper assembly. You are correct in how you have them, the bushings will squash down when you tighten the nut down giving you lots of thread on the stud. Have fun wrestling them in to place, they are stiff bastards.

4. Jan 10, 2014 at 4:31 PM
    madiger

madiger [OP] Member

Member:
    San Diego
    Vehicle:
    06 Tacoma TRD Sport
    Yeah, Bilstein provided a paper with illustration of proper assembly... but there are over 40 different assemblies illustrated on there. The assembly I have pictured is from the illustration that most closely resembles the equipment that came with these shocks. I just wanted to make sure it was correct. Thanks for taking a look, and I won't let the bushings win ha

Last edited: Jan 10, 2014
  5. Jan 10, 2014 at 4:34 PM
    madiger

madiger [OP] Member

Member:
    San Diego
    Vehicle:
    06 Tacoma TRD Sport
    I haven't put them on the truck yet, but I hadn't considered the weight of the truck on the bushings either. Thanks, that sounds like it'll help with the install

6. Jan 10, 2014 at 9:31 PM
    4WD

4WD cRaZy oLdmAn

Member:
    First Name:
    Doug
    Lakeside, Ca / Gardnerville, Nevada
    Vehicle:
    2004 DC TRD 4x
    Grey wire MOD, deck plate, diff breather MOD, 2nd gen. OME 883# on Tundra 5100's, OMD custom 3" leafsprings, rear shock relocation, Ivan Stewart TRD rims w/285/75/16's, '02 bumper MOD, Famous Fabrications sliders , LED interior/exterior lights, bed bar, Custom tube bumper, Old school KC day lighters,Red Ring 8" HID flood, Kenwood vhf 2M.. umm some other shit I'm forgetting right now
    Where in san diego ? If you buy me a little gas I'll put them on right now

(only reason i ask for gas is because I'm broke, but anyway it goes: round metal washer,then rubber bushing, stick the stem thru hole , rubber bushing,the other metal washer,nut,tighten, done...

Jacked Burton likes this.
  7. Jan 10, 2014 at 9:40 PM
    4WD

4WD cRaZy oLdmAn

Member:
    First Name:
    Doug
    Vehicle:
    2004 DC TRD 4x
    Grey wire MOD, deck plate, diff breather MOD, 2nd gen. OME 883# on Tundra 5100's, OMD custom 3" leafsprings, rear shock relocation, Ivan Stewart TRD rims w/285/75/16's, '02 bumper MOD, Famous Fabrications sliders , LED interior/exterior lights, bed bar, Custom tube bumper, Old school KC day lighters,Red Ring 8" HID flood, Kenwood vhf 2M.. umm some other shit I'm forgetting right now
    & the bushing config in pic is right, those little stems where arrow is pointing go to each side of shock mount is correct

[​IMG]

8. Jan 10, 2014 at 10:54 PM
    4WD

4WD cRaZy oLdmAn

Member:
    First Name:
    Doug
    Vehicle:
    2004 DC TRD 4x
    So whats up OP ?? Get frustrated & sell the 'taco ? Oh well , if ya still have a problem tomorrow let me know

Products Discussed in

To Top