Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

Spacers vs Full lift?

Old 01-15-2014, 06:45 AM   #1
AllieBean413 is on a distinguished road
Name: Allie
AllieBean413's Tacoma Gallery
Spacers vs Full lift?

Just looking for some feedback from you guys on what I should do! I'm looking to do a 3" lift in my '10 Tacoma to fit some 33s. I was thinking about doing a full lift until I talked to a friend who just put spacers in his taco until his stock suspension goes.. It's my daily driver (I commute 20 miles each way to work 5 days a week) but I still wheel trails around my area.. I live in the Berkshires so we have mud, snow, ice, mountains but I don't do any hardcore wheeling. Give me some opinions/advice!! Thanks
Old 01-16-2014, 09:49 AM   #2
bumpkin1 is on a distinguished road

bumpkin1's Tacoma Gallery
My truck is a 2012 and the stock non-tsb springs were nearly flat with normal hauling and light off-roading, with 20,000 on the odo so yours are probably just as bad. Blocks aren't going to fix that. Search around, lots of products out there such as AAL leafs that add on to your factory leafs. But if you are going 3" a whole new leaf pack would be better. Also, search some...lots of threads on here with much better options than spacers.
Old 01-16-2014, 10:12 AM   #3
LikeABoss4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedLikeABoss4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedLikeABoss4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedLikeABoss4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedLikeABoss4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedLikeABoss4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedLikeABoss4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedLikeABoss4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedLikeABoss4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedLikeABoss4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedLikeABoss4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Sarah
LikeABoss4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Instead of a spacer/blocks, you'd be better off going with height adjustable shocks, like Bilsteins and an AAL for an inexpensive lift option that will ride better: http://www.boss4x4.com/category-s/1885.htm

Bilstein actually used my '05 Tacoma to develop these shocks and used it on their flyer:

I ran a Daystar 1" spacer before that which worked well too to level the truck, but the ride wasn't as good. I then upgraded to Fox coilovers, that you might want to consider too. They have a newer 2.0 IFP product line that is more affordable.

Sarah
Old 01-16-2014, 10:17 AM   #4
Lieutenant Dan.
DeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter: Lieutenant
DeeKay21's Tacoma Gallery
Stay away from spacer lifts. Even if you dont do a lot of off-roading you still want a nice riding truck so go with a full suspension lift. You can get good ones these days at descent prices but not sure how deep your pockets are.
Old 01-16-2014, 10:47 AM   #5
Houston-76 is one of the sharper tools in the shedHouston-76 is one of the sharper tools in the shedHouston-76 is one of the sharper tools in the shedHouston-76 is one of the sharper tools in the shedHouston-76 is one of the sharper tools in the shedHouston-76 is one of the sharper tools in the shedHouston-76 is one of the sharper tools in the shedHouston-76 is one of the sharper tools in the shedHouston-76 is one of the sharper tools in the shedHouston-76 is one of the sharper tools in the shedHouston-76 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Houston-76's Tacoma Gallery
I used to run spacers and blocks on my 08 prerunner for a short time, i went the real cheap route and bought the whole setup on ebay for under 200$. The ride due to the front lift spacers was very bad, it was stiff and kind of dangerous on real bumpy roads. would jar the steering wheel bad so you better hold tight. I would definitely not recommended them to anyone. the best way to go would be 5100's, or new coilovers in front and new leafpack in the rear, i run allpro leafsprings and they gave me 3 1/2" lift over stock and ride much better. Just my .02
Old 01-16-2014, 10:55 AM   #6
Follow me....I'm right behind you..
Steveoc is just really niceSteveoc is just really niceSteveoc is just really niceSteveoc is just really niceSteveoc is just really nice

Army: 82nd Airborne Division/ 107th Tac Assult Unit.HOOAH
Name: Steveo
Steveoc's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to Steveoc
Talking

Well until I can save for my lift, I installed a spacer and aal. I got the lift I need. I personally haven't had a rough ride others are talking about. I take it off rode. Not as hardcore as I use to be off roading. No rubbing at all. Its a personal choice. Good luck with your decision.
Old 01-16-2014, 05:54 PM   #9
Solve et Coagula
Silence9 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSilence9 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSilence9 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSilence9 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSilence9 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSilence9 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSilence9 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSilence9 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSilence9 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSilence9 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSilence9 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mark
Silence9's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by LikeABoss4x4 View Post
Instead of a spacer/blocks, you'd be better off going with height adjustable shocks, like Bilsteins and an AAL for an inexpensive lift option that will ride better: http://www.boss4x4.com/category-s/1885.htm

Bilstein actually used my '05 Tacoma to develop these shocks and used it on their flyer:

I ran a Daystar 1" spacer before that which worked well too to level the truck, but the ride wasn't as good. I then upgraded to Fox coilovers, that you might want to consider too. They have a newer 2.0 IFP product line that is more affordable.

Sarah
Agreed.