Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

Best Leaf springs out there

Old 03-22-2009, 03:14 PM   #1
Bearskill is one of the sharper tools in the shedBearskill is one of the sharper tools in the shedBearskill is one of the sharper tools in the shedBearskill is one of the sharper tools in the shedBearskill is one of the sharper tools in the shedBearskill is one of the sharper tools in the shedBearskill is one of the sharper tools in the shedBearskill is one of the sharper tools in the shedBearskill is one of the sharper tools in the shedBearskill is one of the sharper tools in the shedBearskill is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: Bunch-O-Bullshit
Bearskill's Tacoma Gallery
Best Leaf springs out there

If someone could hook this up as a poll it would be awesome. The wife said i can have some of my tax return. I want to get rid of my pre TSB leafs and AAL and get somthing better. I don't want to lose any load capacity, I would like the 2'' of lift built into them. What are my best options? Alcan, Dreavers, OME Dakars, or TSB leafs with the Toytec Post TSB AAL? Are there ant other high quality leafs i should look at? I want to order soon. please give your input.
Old 03-22-2009, 03:17 PM   #2
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
As I use my truck to tow, I think the TSB springs and an AAL suite me best. Deaver, Alcan, and teh OME/Dakar springs are not side specifice, so more lean to the driver side could be expected. Most also get rid of the overload leaf, though the OME/Dakars have a dual overload, and I have heard goo reports on those..
Old 03-22-2009, 06:52 PM   #3
GASH is a splendid one to beholdGASH is a splendid one to beholdGASH is a splendid one to beholdGASH is a splendid one to beholdGASH is a splendid one to beholdGASH is a splendid one to beholdGASH is a splendid one to behold

Name: Josh
GASH's Tacoma Gallery
Does anyone have the 3" leaf springs from All-pro? What do you think?
Old 03-23-2009, 09:00 AM   #4
Bearskill is one of the sharper tools in the shedBearskill is one of the sharper tools in the shedBearskill is one of the sharper tools in the shedBearskill is one of the sharper tools in the shedBearskill is one of the sharper tools in the shedBearskill is one of the sharper tools in the shedBearskill is one of the sharper tools in the shedBearskill is one of the sharper tools in the shedBearskill is one of the sharper tools in the shedBearskill is one of the sharper tools in the shedBearskill is one of the sharper tools in the shed

I have been warned about AllPro leafs. Are said to sag unevenly. Don't know if thats true or not. I have tried to get the TSB done, but no love.
The reason I want new leafs is while reaserching and trying to solve the Taco drive line clunk I noticed my Toytec AAL are starting to take the shap of a W rather than a C. I don't haul that much stuff. it's like the AAL is failing or something. I might go with the TSB springs but they are $1200!!! F my life.
Old 03-23-2009, 09:03 AM   #5
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bearskill View Post
I have been warned about AllPro leafs. Are said to sag unevenly. Don't know if thats true or not. I have tried to get the TSB done, but no love.
The reason I want new leafs is while reaserching and trying to solve the Taco drive line clunk I noticed my Toytec AAL are starting to take the shap of a W rather than a C. I don't haul that much stuff. it's like the AAL is failing or something. I might go with the TSB springs but they are $1200!!! F my life.
I have seen people selling TSB leaf packs on TTORA for cheap. You may want to consider the OME/Dakar pack. I, too, have heard poor things about the All Pros.
Old 03-23-2009, 09:58 AM   #6
GASH is a splendid one to beholdGASH is a splendid one to beholdGASH is a splendid one to beholdGASH is a splendid one to beholdGASH is a splendid one to beholdGASH is a splendid one to beholdGASH is a splendid one to behold

GASH's Tacoma Gallery
What would you recommend for an AAL deaver 3 pack, icon 3 pack, wheelers 3 pack, or alcan? I don't tow ever and now I don't really haul anything. I'm looking for a good smooth ride on and off road.

The OME Dakars are on sale at trdparts4u for $333.88 is that a good deal should I just go with them?
Old 03-23-2009, 10:16 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by GASH View Post
What would you recommend for an AAL deaver 3 pack, icon 3 pack, wheelers 3 pack, or alcan? I don't tow ever and now I don't really haul anything. I'm looking for a good smooth ride on and off road.

The OME Dakars are on sale at trdparts4u for $333.88 is that a good deal should I just go with them?
I have heard good things about the Alcan, Deaver, and OME/Dakar's. I dont know who makes teh springs for Icon, or wheelers.
Old 03-23-2009, 11:02 AM   #8

I have been looking at the Dakars, but OME suggests getting drive shaft spacers and some other hardwhare as well. I would rather not mess with my drive line unless I have too. Looks like me and Gash are in the same boat. If you make a disision Gash, PM me and tell me why you went in that direction. I don't want to buy used. And I want something to match the quality of my set up up front. Icons and TC UCAs. Im starting to leen towards the TSBs, but not sure yet. Any more input? Any thoughts on my AALs looking like they are bieng bent backwards? I wish I had messered them when I had them installed to referance them then to now.
Old 03-23-2009, 11:04 AM   #9

Can you post up a pic so we can see what they are looking like?
Old 03-23-2009, 11:11 AM   #10

Ya, I will as soon as I can. I noticed them when you and me were talking about my rear end thump/clunk prob. After the dealer told me my drive line, tranny, diff was fine you suggested axle wrap. I don't really want to get trac bars due to having to drill a hole in my frame to mount them. so Im looking into beefier leafs. I had a friend that builds up jeeps take a drive with me to feel the thump. I told him what you thought. He didn't think I have enough tourque to have axle wrap. Then he got underneath and said my AAL looks weird. I will get pics for you as soon as I can Chris.
Old 03-23-2009, 11:13 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bearskill View Post
Ya, I will as soon as I can. I noticed them when you and me were talking about my rear end thump/clunk prob. After the dealer told me my drive line, tranny, diff was fine you suggested axle wrap. I don't really want to get trac bars due to having to drill a hole in my frame to mount them. so Im looking into beefier leafs. I had a friend that builds up jeeps take a drive with me to feel the thump. I told him what you thought. He didn't think I have enough tourque to have axle wrap. Then he got underneath and said my AAL looks weird. I will get pics for you as soon as I can Chris.
Ok.
Old 03-24-2009, 09:18 PM   #12

Ok, let me rephrase my question. When I get my TSB springs, What is the best lift foe the back? I was leaning toward the toytec TSB AAL, but I just heard from a dealer here in idaho that the Revtech 2 1/2'' block is the only Toyota approved lift. That block, then the pro comp trac bar? Whatcha think?
Old 03-24-2009, 09:23 PM   #13

GASH's Tacoma Gallery
From what I've read you should stay away from blocks. Check this link out http://www.expeditionswest.com/equip...ma/deaver.html I think I'm going to go with some deavers. I just don't know if I want the full 10 pack or save some money and go with a 3 pack.
Old 03-24-2009, 09:28 PM   #14

You know what. I don't even care any more. Im sick of obsesing over my stupid truck. Im going to drive the POS till the axle falls off. I put almost $2k into the front end just to have the rear F up and drive me nuts. And if the clunk in the rear is normal like everyone tells my then why the fuck did toyota not tell me that before i dumped 25 grand into their product. My 94 geo tracker felt more machanicaly sound than my tacoma. If i wasn't so god damned upside down on my loan I'd trade this nightmare in as soon as I could. I haven't even got to off road it yet!!! I've only drive it on the street and it feels like it's going to fall apart. Fuck my life!
Old 03-24-2009, 10:13 PM   #15
rab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ross
rab89's Tacoma Gallery
i think you got a lemon. the rest of us have great trucks. built better than any other vehicle i've ever seen or been in. thanks

as for leafs, I am going to be ordering mine soon, I dont wanna pay $600 for the deavers, and 150 for the shocks. totaling $750 for the rear and only like $325 for 881's and 5100's on the front.
So I was looking at the ome leafs, anyone have experience?
Old 03-28-2009, 11:45 AM   #17
sonjay is just really nicesonjay is just really nicesonjay is just really nicesonjay is just really nice

sonjay's Tacoma Gallery
The Dakars are great springs. I've had no problems with them, and I've heard of no-one having any problems. They ride great and will haul much more then stock. They are more firm then stock, nothing like the old Yota pickups though. I would suggest getting the OME shocks with them as thats what I have and the ride is great, plus there matched to the flex of the springs, and these springs flex way more then stock. They do recommend dropping the carrier bearing, its basically a 3/8" washer. Most people go to a 1 piece eventually anyway.
Old 03-28-2009, 10:39 PM   #18
ghostboy808 is on a distinguished road
ghostboy808's Tacoma Gallery
anyone know if there's an AAL that increases payload capacity, I'm only hearing of all of them decreasing it. Why is that? I would think when you add more leafs to your pack wouldn't that add to your capacity?
Old 03-29-2009, 08:56 AM   #19
abides.
Brunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Coast Guard: LT- CG MH-65C/D Driver- CGAS NOLA
Name: Mark
Brunes's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to Brunes
Most AALs give you additional flex and space in your suspension- The 3 pack lowers your capacity as it removes the overload leaf. I'm not sure about the single AALs.

Finding one that increases load cap is prolly unlikely. You payload cap takes many factors into consideration- stopping power, tires, frame loading, etc. Going over the manufactures recommendations with only a leaf as your modifications prolly isn't a great idea.