1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Best Leaf springs out there

Discussion in 'Suspension' started by Bearskill, Mar 22, 2009.

1. Mar 22, 2009 at 2:14 PM
    Bearskill

Bearskill [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Sac
    Vehicle:
    06 Access cab PreRunner Sport
    FlowMaster 40 duals out the back, T-Rex grill, Color matched TRD Nerf bars, Icon coilovers set at 2'', 2.75" OME Dakars spring packs, OME Nitro-Charger extended rear shocks, Carrier bearing drop kit, Wheeler's Extended break Lines, Total Chaos UCAs, Mojave Teflons and 31 1/2" Toyo Open Country A/Ts, Pioneer single din unit, Yakima roof rack, Malone roof basket with X2 KC 130w long range Slimmlights mounted to it, Garmin 255w nav, Fire bottle mod, Air Force standard First Aid kit mod, Hidden Muchette mod (don't ask), and 1 huge OCD about my truck.
    If someone could hook this up as a poll it would be awesome. The wife said i can have some of my tax return. I want to get rid of my pre TSB leafs and AAL and get somthing better. I don't want to lose any load capacity, I would like the 2'' of lift built into them. What are my best options? Alcan, Dreavers, OME Dakars, or TSB leafs with the Toytec Post TSB AAL? Are there ant other high quality leafs i should look at? I want to order soon. please give your input.

2. Mar 22, 2009 at 2:17 PM
    chris4x4

chris4x4 With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    FlimFlubberJAM
    Tenoe, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2019 Rubicon 4 Door,
    4.10 gears, sliders, and lots of buttons.
    As I use my truck to tow, I think the TSB springs and an AAL suite me best. Deaver, Alcan, and teh OME/Dakar springs are not side specifice, so more lean to the driver side could be expected. Most also get rid of the overload leaf, though the OME/Dakars have a dual overload, and I have heard goo reports on those..

3. Mar 22, 2009 at 5:52 PM
    GASH

GASH Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    Albuqueruqe
    Vehicle:
    2021 AG Off-road
    Does anyone have the 3" leaf springs from All-pro? What do you think?

4. Mar 23, 2009 at 8:00 AM
    Bearskill

Member:
    Sac
    Vehicle:
    FlowMaster 40 duals out the back, T-Rex grill, Color matched TRD Nerf bars, Icon coilovers set at 2'', 2.75" OME Dakars spring packs, OME Nitro-Charger extended rear shocks, Carrier bearing drop kit, Wheeler's Extended break Lines, Total Chaos UCAs, Mojave Teflons and 31 1/2" Toyo Open Country A/Ts, Pioneer single din unit, Yakima roof rack, Malone roof basket with X2 KC 130w long range Slimmlights mounted to it, Garmin 255w nav, Fire bottle mod, Air Force standard First Aid kit mod, Hidden Muchette mod (don't ask), and 1 huge OCD about my truck.
    I have been warned about AllPro leafs. Are said to sag unevenly. Don't know if thats true or not. I have tried to get the TSB done, but no love.
    The reason I want new leafs is while reaserching and trying to solve the Taco drive line clunk I noticed my Toytec AAL are starting to take the shap of a W rather than a C. I don't haul that much stuff. it's like the AAL is failing or something. I might go with the TSB springs but they are $1200!!! F my life.

5. Mar 23, 2009 at 8:03 AM
    chris4x4

Member:
    First Name:
    FlimFlubberJAM
    Tenoe, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2019 Rubicon 4 Door,
    I have seen people selling TSB leaf packs on TTORA for cheap. You may want to consider the OME/Dakar pack. I, too, have heard poor things about the All Pros.

6. Mar 23, 2009 at 8:58 AM
    GASH

GASH Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    Albuqueruqe
    Vehicle:
    2021 AG Off-road
    What would you recommend for an AAL deaver 3 pack, icon 3 pack, wheelers 3 pack, or alcan? I don't tow ever and now I don't really haul anything. I'm looking for a good smooth ride on and off road.

The OME Dakars are on sale at trdparts4u for $333.88 is that a good deal should I just go with them?

7. Mar 23, 2009 at 9:16 AM
    chris4x4

Member:
    First Name:
    FlimFlubberJAM
    Tenoe, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2019 Rubicon 4 Door,
    I have heard good things about the Alcan, Deaver, and OME/Dakar's. I dont know who makes teh springs for Icon, or wheelers.

8. Mar 23, 2009 at 10:02 AM
    Bearskill

Member:
    Sac
    Vehicle:
    I have been looking at the Dakars, but OME suggests getting drive shaft spacers and some other hardwhare as well. I would rather not mess with my drive line unless I have too. Looks like me and Gash are in the same boat. If you make a disision Gash, PM me and tell me why you went in that direction. I don't want to buy used. And I want something to match the quality of my set up up front. Icons and TC UCAs. Im starting to leen towards the TSBs, but not sure yet. Any more input? Any thoughts on my AALs looking like they are bieng bent backwards? I wish I had messered them when I had them installed to referance them then to now.

9. Mar 23, 2009 at 10:04 AM
    chris4x4

Member:
    First Name:
    FlimFlubberJAM
    Tenoe, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2019 Rubicon 4 Door,
    Can you post up a pic so we can see what they are looking like?

10. Mar 23, 2009 at 10:11 AM
    Bearskill

Member:
    Sac
    Vehicle:
    Ya, I will as soon as I can. I noticed them when you and me were talking about my rear end thump/clunk prob. After the dealer told me my drive line, tranny, diff was fine you suggested axle wrap. I don't really want to get trac bars due to having to drill a hole in my frame to mount them. so Im looking into beefier leafs. I had a friend that builds up jeeps take a drive with me to feel the thump. I told him what you thought. He didn't think I have enough tourque to have axle wrap. Then he got underneath and said my AAL looks weird. I will get pics for you as soon as I can Chris.

11. Mar 23, 2009 at 10:13 AM
    chris4x4

Member:
    First Name:
    FlimFlubberJAM
    Tenoe, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2019 Rubicon 4 Door,
    Ok.

12. Mar 24, 2009 at 8:18 PM
    Bearskill

Member:
    Sac
    Vehicle:
    Ok, let me rephrase my question. When I get my TSB springs, What is the best lift foe the back? I was leaning toward the toytec TSB AAL, but I just heard from a dealer here in idaho that the Revtech 2 1/2'' block is the only Toyota approved lift. That block, then the pro comp trac bar? Whatcha think?

13. Mar 24, 2009 at 8:23 PM
    GASH

GASH Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    Albuqueruqe
    Vehicle:
    2021 AG Off-road
  14. Mar 24, 2009 at 8:28 PM
    Bearskill

Member:
    Sac
    Vehicle:
    You know what. I don't even care any more. Im sick of obsesing over my stupid truck. Im going to drive the POS till the axle falls off. I put almost $2k into the front end just to have the rear F up and drive me nuts. And if the clunk in the rear is normal like everyone tells my then why the fuck did toyota not tell me that before i dumped 25 grand into their product. My 94 geo tracker felt more machanicaly sound than my tacoma. If i wasn't so god damned upside down on my loan I'd trade this nightmare in as soon as I could. I haven't even got to off road it yet!!! I've only drive it on the street and it feels like it's going to fall apart. Fuck my life!

15. Mar 24, 2009 at 9:13 PM
    rab89

rab89 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ross
    Kelowna b.c canada
    Vehicle:
    2017 DCLB TRD Sport
    i think you got a lemon. the rest of us have great trucks. built better than any other vehicle i've ever seen or been in. thanks

as for leafs, I am going to be ordering mine soon, I dont wanna pay $600 for the deavers, and 150 for the shocks. totaling $750 for the rear and only like $325 for 881's and 5100's on the front.
    So I was looking at the ome leafs, anyone have experience?

16. Mar 27, 2009 at 11:38 PM
    Bearskill

Member:
    Sac
    Vehicle:
    I apologize to anyone that read my rantings. I also apologize to the moderators for dropping the F bomb. sorry.:eek:

17. Mar 28, 2009 at 10:45 AM
    sonjay

sonjay Well-Known Member

Member:
    The Dakars are great springs. I've had no problems with them, and I've heard of no-one having any problems. They ride great and will haul much more then stock. They are more firm then stock, nothing like the old Yota pickups though. I would suggest getting the OME shocks with them as thats what I have and the ride is great, plus there matched to the flex of the springs, and these springs flex way more then stock. They do recommend dropping the carrier bearing, its basically a 3/8" washer. Most people go to a 1 piece eventually anyway.

18. Mar 28, 2009 at 9:39 PM
    ghostboy808

ghostboy808 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Silver Mica Prerunner TRD Sport
    Gibson SS, TRD S/C
    anyone know if there's an AAL that increases payload capacity, I'm only hearing of all of them decreasing it. Why is that? I would think when you add more leafs to your pack wouldn't that add to your capacity?

19. Mar 29, 2009 at 7:56 AM
    Brunes

Brunes abides.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    Around
    Vehicle:
    08 Red/Graphite and Satin Black
    Inside: Tint, Wet Okole 1/2 Piped Red/Black Covers, Black Weathertech Digital Fit Mats, URD Short Throw w/ TWM Weighted Knob, USA Spec iPod adapter. Outside: 4300K Retro w/ Angel Eyes and Red Shrouds, 5000K Blazer Fog Light Retrofit, Debadge, Bed Locking Handle, Satin Black Rims Performance: TRD/Steigmeier Blower w/ 2.7 Pulley. 668 Injectors and 320 LPH AEM Fuel pump. URD UCON and 7th Injector. DTLT Headers, URD Y-Pipe, Wicked Flow Muffler. Suspension: Both: OME Shocks Front: 886X's and TC UCAs Rear: Dakars Armor: Relentless Front Bumper Relentless High Clearance Rear w/ Tire/Rotopax Swing Out Relentless Front, Mid, and TCase skids BAMF Diff Skid Recovery and Spares: Fullsize Spare Tire 2x2 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Water Rotopax Warn 9.5XP-S Winch Hi-Lift Extreme 60" Ironman Off-Road Recovery Kit
    Most AALs give you additional flex and space in your suspension- The 3 pack lowers your capacity as it removes the overload leaf. I'm not sure about the single AALs.

Finding one that increases load cap is prolly unlikely. You payload cap takes many factors into consideration- stopping power, tires, frame loading, etc. Going over the manufactures recommendations with only a leaf as your modifications prolly isn't a great idea.

20. Mar 29, 2009 at 9:05 AM
    Bearskill

Member:
    Sac
    Vehicle:
    I don't know about after market springs, but if you add an AAL, genraly they increase your load capacity.

Products Discussed in

To Top