1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

New truck, new to toyota, Noobie questions

Discussion in 'Suspension' started by TacoMaine, Feb 1, 2014.

1. Feb 1, 2014 at 6:46 AM
    TacoMaine

TacoMaine [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Zack
    Richmond Maine
    Vehicle:
    2012 TRD Sport
    Sorry in advance to anyone annoyed because there's 50mil threads on everything but my goal with this thread is to have my questions answered in one shot with good info because I've looked around a lot and got a lot of info but nothing specific to me.

I wanna lift it! Chopping cab mounts bending and cutting stuff is something I want to avoid completely.

I have a 2012 DCLB pyrite mica and about $1,000 for a lift give or take and few hundred if it's worth it. I have money for tires unsure on rims right now.

I haven't seen many DCLB pix so any posted would be excellent so I can see what's out there and compare.

I really want to sit up higher as I just traded in a 2011 Ram for this truck and am feeling very small and not beefy at the moment and it's bothering me big time. Everyone near me in maine drives a beefy looking chevy, ford or Ram and I want to even the playing field.

So plz help this here noob out with some pix and info on what u have if it's not a bother. I appreciate it!

2. Feb 1, 2014 at 7:05 AM
    tacotoe

tacotoe Pastry Chef

Member:
    Nebraska
    Vehicle:
    `17 AC Sport MT
    ARE Topper, Icon aal, OEM Audio+
    Welcome to the forum.
    I hear you on the 50 million threads on everything...this place is sooooo much busier than 6/7 years ago.
    Sorry I can`t offer lift suggestions, I have been researching that myself.
    I think give a few hundred you will be able to get a decent lift, providing you can do the install yourself.
    The wife is primary driver of our new rig and she said it is too short...I mean the truck compared to the sport that we traded.
    Hope you get some good suggestions, I will be following to see..

3. Feb 1, 2014 at 7:15 AM
    HomerTaco

HomerTaco also HomerTaco Vendor

Member:
    First Name:
    HomerTaco
    HomerTaco
    Vehicle:
    HomerTaco
    HomerTaco ...................................................................................................................................................... Core-Hurst short throw shifter & T-handle / Carbon Fiber Interior / custom console light / De-badged / leather interior / Heated Front seats / Red Line Hood Struts / Painted speaker grills /one-off TRD Satoshi Grill with 12-15 front-end swap/ Pioneer AVIC-X920BT HU / Scangauge II / Black LED Tails / Dash Mount for iPad mini / Safari Snorkel / Auto-pilot mode / Leer 100XQ Cap / 4x Innovations sliders / Rear Diff Breather Mod / front windows tinted to 35% / Brute Force Fab Hybrid Front Bumper / BAMF Rear Diff Skid / Budbuilt Skids / CBI Trail Master 2.0 rear hybrid bumper / Fox rr coils/ TC UCA's/ TC spindle gussets/ TC Cam Tab gussets / Dakar leafs / Defined Engineering shackles / All pro U bolt flip / Timbren Rear Bumpstops / BAMF LCA skids / Exhaust re-route / Fog Light anytime Mod / LowRange Off Road extended rear brake lines / ATO Shackle Flip / sectioned Bushwhacker flares / re-geared to 4.56 / ARB Front & Rear Locking Diff / ARB CKMA12 compressor / PrInSu full rack system / 1" body lift / Inchworm 4.7 crawlbox / twin stick FJ t-case / Davez off-road triple-stick kit/
    Welcome to TW!

If you just want to jack it up you can install a fairly inexpensive spacer lift and get a few inches.
    For an improved ride and a little more cash go with 5100's and an AAL.
    If you want to blow mad coin go with icons kings or the like...
    Bottom line: 3" lift is about all you'll get out if these trucks without major cash investment.
    Also you are comparing your truck to full sized trucks which is not a great comparison... Hight wise you'll never "even the playing field".

Personally I've got the 5100 setup and it's worked well for me for many miles.

Best of luck with your decision, and again welcome!

4. Feb 1, 2014 at 7:20 AM
    tacotoe

tacotoe Pastry Chef

Member:
    Nebraska
    Vehicle:
    `17 AC Sport MT
    I suggest you click on some of the links in other post. for example at the bottom HomerTaco`s post there is a link to his build.
    I have not looked at that one yet, but a couple cool builds I have looked at are Slimwood`s and Skidooman`s link. Some nice rigs posted throughout.

5. Feb 1, 2014 at 8:04 AM
    TacoMaine

Member:
    First Name:
    Zack
    Richmond Maine
    Vehicle:
    2012 TRD Sport
    Well I'd like to get 3 full inches and stuff some 285/70/17's or 285/75/16's if I do rims too but that all depends on what I spend on the lift. I want it leveled and lifted but at the same time it is my only truck daily driver so I want it to be reasonably comfortable while still off-road capable without over extending shocks and breaking stuff because my lift was done wrong.

If anyone can give me some solid lift kit ideas that will help me reach this goal I'll more than likely choose that over whatever I've been looking at because you all are essentially the subject matter experts having the been there done that experience already.

6. Feb 1, 2014 at 8:37 AM
    ace96

ace96 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Western KY
    Vehicle:
    '11 SWB DC TRD SPORT
    AVS bug deflector, Weathertech digital fit floor mats, TRD skid plate w/ Sockmonkey decal, SOS Cocept sliders w/ Line-x, Pioneer 3500, Hybrid Audio Technology Mirus 6X9s & 6.5s, back up cam mod, Wet Okoles-front & rear, TRD exhaust, 17X9 XD Spy w/ Falken Wildpeaks, Avid light bar
    You will have trouble with 285s unless you want to start chopping.

7. Feb 1, 2014 at 8:52 AM
    medic2230

medic2230 @Koditten Pirate Radio member #002

Member:
    First Name:
    Murph
    Bama! Roll Tide
    Vehicle:
    2011 Taco 4x4 DCLB 2019 TRD PRO 4runner 2018 RAM 2500 mega cab
    20% Tint, OME 3"complete lift with Dakar's, Light Racing UCA's, 285/75/16 Nitto Terra Grapplers, 10 HP TW sticker, Ultraguage, B.A.M.F. Rock Sliders, MedicFab Bed Rack, Relentless front bumper, Air Flow Snorkel, Ham comms, Tech Deck
    DCLB with 3" OME full lift (Front shocks, leaf springs and center bearing drop) running 285/75/16's. Rubs on LR UCA when at full lock with off road rims. Also rubbed the powder coat off the UCA at full droop on both sides. I have wheel spacers to add but then you have to chop the cab mount because of the arc the wheel travels in hits the cab mount. I'll be chopping mine this spring and adding the spacers.

[​IMG]

8. Feb 1, 2014 at 2:41 PM
    TacoMaine

Member:
    First Name:
    Zack
    Richmond Maine
    Vehicle:
    2012 TRD Sport
    I'm looking at a set of MT wheels 16x8 with a 3.625 backspace and -22 offset
    I like the look of them a lot would these poke the wheels out enough to avoid rubbing anything?

Anyone's advice on this would be great!

9. Feb 1, 2014 at 2:50 PM
    moondeath

moondeath Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Pa, Gardners
    Vehicle:
    2013 TRD Sport DCLB 4x4
    5100 @ 0” w/ 2.5” Eibach spring, 1.5" Icon Progressive 3 leaf + 1” block, Procomp Wheels, Grill Thin Lip (Custom Car Grills Mod), Access Tonneau Cover, Pop & Lock Tailgate Electronic Lock PL8521
    Mine at 1.75" in the front and 1" in the rear. 265/75-16 on 16x8 0 offset wheels.

IMG_2555_zps846820a0_dc4734772b8be111a28bc2ddc1a6c8b1c9d0edbe.jpg

10. Feb 1, 2014 at 2:52 PM
    HomerTaco

Member:
    First Name:
    HomerTaco
    HomerTaco
    Vehicle:
    HomerTaco
    HomerTaco ...................................................................................................................................................... Core-Hurst short throw shifter & T-handle / Carbon Fiber Interior / custom console light / De-badged / leather interior / Heated Front seats / Red Line Hood Struts / Painted speaker grills /one-off TRD Satoshi Grill with 12-15 front-end swap/ Pioneer AVIC-X920BT HU / Scangauge II / Black LED Tails / Dash Mount for iPad mini / Safari Snorkel / Auto-pilot mode / Leer 100XQ Cap / 4x Innovations sliders / Rear Diff Breather Mod / front windows tinted to 35% / Brute Force Fab Hybrid Front Bumper / BAMF Rear Diff Skid / Budbuilt Skids / CBI Trail Master 2.0 rear hybrid bumper / Fox rr coils/ TC UCA's/ TC spindle gussets/ TC Cam Tab gussets / Dakar leafs / Defined Engineering shackles / All pro U bolt flip / Timbren Rear Bumpstops / BAMF LCA skids / Exhaust re-route / Fog Light anytime Mod / LowRange Off Road extended rear brake lines / ATO Shackle Flip / sectioned Bushwhacker flares / re-geared to 4.56 / ARB Front & Rear Locking Diff / ARB CKMA12 compressor / PrInSu full rack system / 1" body lift / Inchworm 4.7 crawlbox / twin stick FJ t-case / Davez off-road triple-stick kit/
    With that back spacing they would stick out like a MF'er. :eek:

11. Feb 1, 2014 at 3:02 PM
    tacotoe

tacotoe Pastry Chef

Member:
    Nebraska
    Vehicle:
    `17 AC Sport MT
    PERFECT! what method of lift?

12. Feb 1, 2014 at 3:27 PM
    moondeath

moondeath Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Pa, Gardners
    Vehicle:
    2013 TRD Sport DCLB 4x4
    5100 @ 0” w/ 2.5” Eibach spring, 1.5" Icon Progressive 3 leaf + 1” block, Procomp Wheels, Grill Thin Lip (Custom Car Grills Mod), Access Tonneau Cover, Pop & Lock Tailgate Electronic Lock PL8521
    Thanks. Bilstein 5100 set at 1.75" on factory sport spring in the front. On this truck I went with a 1" block in the rear. I've had AALs in the past, but I don't like how they ride. I don't do extreme off roading and the block maintains the factory ride. Personally I wouldn't go with a large block if I wanted a lot more lift. I would bite the bullet and get a new leaf pack.

13. Feb 1, 2014 at 3:40 PM
    medic2230

Member:
    First Name:
    Murph
    Bama! Roll Tide
    Vehicle:
    20% Tint, OME 3"complete lift with Dakar's, Light Racing UCA's, 285/75/16 Nitto Terra Grapplers, 10 HP TW sticker, Ultraguage, B.A.M.F. Rock Sliders, MedicFab Bed Rack, Relentless front bumper, Air Flow Snorkel, Ham comms, Tech Deck
    They would probably hit the cab mount and/or fender flare too.

14. Feb 1, 2014 at 3:49 PM
    TacoMaine

Member:
    First Name:
    Zack
    Richmond Maine
    Vehicle:
    2012 TRD Sport
    That does look good and confirms my wanting all black wheels. I do want it higher though.

Something about the Pyrite Mica and black just really works for me at least.

15. Feb 1, 2014 at 3:52 PM
    TacoMaine

Member:
    First Name:
    Zack
    Richmond Maine
    Vehicle:
    2012 TRD Sport
    Ok then too much it is. Most of the lifts I've seen though recommend at least 4.5 backspacing.

I would be happy even if they poked just 1in outside the flares.

16. Feb 1, 2014 at 3:57 PM
    SSG665

SSG665 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Georgia
    Vehicle:
    18 Tacoma
    OME 3'' lift and 275/70/17's on stock wheels would look sharp...

17. Feb 1, 2014 at 4:01 PM
    medic2230

Member:
    First Name:
    Murph
    Bama! Roll Tide
    Vehicle:
    This would work but you will be limited on some of the tire brands.

18. Feb 1, 2014 at 4:28 PM
    HomerTaco

Member:
    First Name:
    HomerTaco
    HomerTaco
    Vehicle:
    HomerTaco
    Truth.
    I think Oz & Loosenut are the only two guys I know running a 275.

19. Feb 1, 2014 at 5:30 PM
    TacoMaine

Member:
    First Name:
    Zack
    Richmond Maine
    Vehicle:
    2012 TRD Sport
    Just found this setup with 1k miles on the wheels and tires. 265/75/16 BFG's on black trd rims for 1300 obo. Thoughts?

image.jpg

20. Feb 1, 2014 at 5:35 PM
    HomerTaco

Member:
    First Name:
    HomerTaco
    HomerTaco
    Vehicle:
    HomerTaco
    [​IMG]

Products Discussed in

To Top