1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

AAL question

Discussion in 'Suspension' started by Zombie Runner, Mar 26, 2009.

1. Mar 26, 2009 at 12:57 PM
    Zombie Runner

Zombie Runner [OP] Are these black helicopters for me?

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    Wichita Falls, TX
    Vehicle:
    2011 taco, sport 4x4
    oil change...
    I already have a single aal from toy tec. I was looking at Wheelers offroad and they have a 3 leaf progressive pack. So what is the difference between the two?
    Would the 3 smaller leaves provide better flex?

2. Mar 26, 2009 at 1:00 PM
    Brunes

Brunes abides.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    Around
    Vehicle:
    08 Red/Graphite and Satin Black
    Inside: Tint, Wet Okole 1/2 Piped Red/Black Covers, Black Weathertech Digital Fit Mats, URD Short Throw w/ TWM Weighted Knob, USA Spec iPod adapter. Outside: 4300K Retro w/ Angel Eyes and Red Shrouds, 5000K Blazer Fog Light Retrofit, Debadge, Bed Locking Handle, Satin Black Rims Performance: TRD/Steigmeier Blower w/ 2.7 Pulley. 668 Injectors and 320 LPH AEM Fuel pump. URD UCON and 7th Injector. DTLT Headers, URD Y-Pipe, Wicked Flow Muffler. Suspension: Both: OME Shocks Front: 886X's and TC UCAs Rear: Dakars Armor: Relentless Front Bumper Relentless High Clearance Rear w/ Tire/Rotopax Swing Out Relentless Front, Mid, and TCase skids BAMF Diff Skid Recovery and Spares: Fullsize Spare Tire 2x2 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Water Rotopax Warn 9.5XP-S Winch Hi-Lift Extreme 60" Ironman Off-Road Recovery Kit
    I just ordered the progressive 3-leaf. If replaces the overload leaf in either stock leaf pack (Pre or Post TSB).

It provides greater flex and gives the lift, but it comes at the expense of some load capacity. A direct number was not given, but for my uses I want the greater flex more than I wanted higher cargo capacity. I tow rarely to occasionally...and it's only a lil bit of weight.

Hope that helps!!

3. Mar 26, 2009 at 1:04 PM
    Zombie Runner

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    Wichita Falls, TX
    Vehicle:
    2011 taco, sport 4x4
    oil change...
    yea thanks for the help, I dont really care about the load cap. I just want better offroad performance.

4. Mar 26, 2009 at 1:05 PM
    Brunes

Brunes abides.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    Around
    Vehicle:
    Inside: Tint, Wet Okole 1/2 Piped Red/Black Covers, Black Weathertech Digital Fit Mats, URD Short Throw w/ TWM Weighted Knob, USA Spec iPod adapter. Outside: 4300K Retro w/ Angel Eyes and Red Shrouds, 5000K Blazer Fog Light Retrofit, Debadge, Bed Locking Handle, Satin Black Rims Performance: TRD/Steigmeier Blower w/ 2.7 Pulley. 668 Injectors and 320 LPH AEM Fuel pump. URD UCON and 7th Injector. DTLT Headers, URD Y-Pipe, Wicked Flow Muffler. Suspension: Both: OME Shocks Front: 886X's and TC UCAs Rear: Dakars Armor: Relentless Front Bumper Relentless High Clearance Rear w/ Tire/Rotopax Swing Out Relentless Front, Mid, and TCase skids BAMF Diff Skid Recovery and Spares: Fullsize Spare Tire 2x2 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Water Rotopax Warn 9.5XP-S Winch Hi-Lift Extreme 60" Ironman Off-Road Recovery Kit
    ::nods:: The 3 leaf or some Dakar/Deaver/insert name here replacement leaves might be the way to go for you then.

5. Mar 26, 2009 at 1:06 PM
    Zombie Runner

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    Wichita Falls, TX
    Vehicle:
    2011 taco, sport 4x4
    oil change...
    well yea i would love to get the deaver pack, but at 600 bucks I dont think thats gonna happen any time soon...

6. Mar 26, 2009 at 1:17 PM
    Brunes

Brunes abides.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    Around
    Vehicle:
    ::same boat:: I wanted the Dakars...but 350 plus 50 in shipping was a bit to rich for me right now.

Maybe someday...but I'm looking forward to seeing what the 3 pack does!!

7. Mar 26, 2009 at 1:27 PM
    Toyota Truck

Toyota Truck Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    JT
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    2008 Prerunnner
    Magnaflow Muffler-TSB springs-Nuvi 265wt-aFe pro dry s filter-Husky Liners-Blue dome light-extra d-rings-OME 90000 sport struts-885 coils-N182 shocks-TSB AAL-LR UCAs-procomp black alloy rims- nitto terra grapplers-20% tint
    I already have had the TSB done on my truck If get the toytec ultimate lift will the back of truck sit higher then the front. or should i just get the co, uca's, and 5100's in the rear

8. Mar 26, 2009 at 1:43 PM
    Brunes

Brunes abides.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    Around
    Vehicle:
    You'll need some sort of lift in the rear-Be it AAL or new leaf pack

9. Mar 26, 2009 at 1:53 PM
    Toyota Truck

Toyota Truck Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    JT
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    2008 Prerunnner
    Magnaflow Muffler-TSB springs-Nuvi 265wt-aFe pro dry s filter-Husky Liners-Blue dome light-extra d-rings-OME 90000 sport struts-885 coils-N182 shocks-TSB AAL-LR UCAs-procomp black alloy rims- nitto terra grapplers-20% tint
    Well the TSB replaces the stock 3 leaf spring pack to a 4 leaf spring so if i get the ultimate I'll have a total of 5.

10. Mar 26, 2009 at 2:20 PM
    Brunes

Brunes abides.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    Around
    Vehicle:
    DUH...I missed ultimate when i read your post. That'll be enuf.

Replacement shocks in the rear are suggested....Longer stroke and better ride.

11. Mar 26, 2009 at 2:42 PM
    JimBeam

JimBeam BECAUSE INTERNETS!! Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    JB
    Vehicle:
    2015 Tundra
    ive got one of those 3 leaf AAL with Bilstein 5125s

its GREAT

i was able to leave my overload leaf in my spring pack and add the aal and keep my capacity and i have better flex offroad

and it rides SMOOTH

12. Mar 26, 2009 at 2:56 PM
    Brunes

Brunes abides.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    Around
    Vehicle:
    I might play with that idea depending on lift height and cargo needs down the road. Not that hard to lift the rear end and put the overloads back in if needed.

13. Mar 26, 2009 at 6:48 PM
    Zombie Runner

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    Wichita Falls, TX
    Vehicle:
    2011 taco, sport 4x4
    oil change...
    ive thought about just taking out the overload leaf to see how it handles. IDC if the front is a little higher. any drawbacks to this?

14. Mar 26, 2009 at 6:51 PM
    Zombie Runner

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    Wichita Falls, TX
    Vehicle:
    2011 taco, sport 4x4
    oil change...
    Ive heard that with the OME's[dakars] you will get imporved flex and keep your payload cap. but will be a stiffer ride than the deaver or alcans

15. Mar 27, 2009 at 7:06 AM
    Zombie Runner

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    Wichita Falls, TX
    Vehicle:
    2011 taco, sport 4x4
    oil change...
    cool thanks for the help guys

16. Mar 27, 2009 at 11:01 AM
    radbowman

radbowman Member

Member:
    Rochester
    Vehicle:
    02 Tacoma TRD
    ARE Topper
    Hey Tigerfan00, I have an 02 doublecab Tacoma. I am looking to lift it 2-3 inches how is the ride with the three pack AAL? I don't want to stiffen the ride too much and I occationally pull a camper trailer ( about 3000 lbs) and a boat (around 2500 lbs) so I would probably leave the overload leaf in as well.

17. Mar 27, 2009 at 11:59 AM
    dtrujillo63

dtrujillo63 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Denny
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    08 Tacoma DC 4x4 Sport
    A 3 pack AAL will provide you with a much smoother ride over a single AAL. I'm currently running an icon 3-pack + TSB. I also removed the over load leaf. It rides smooth and soft, i couldn't be happier.

18. Mar 27, 2009 at 5:39 PM
    KeithB

KeithB Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Keith
    Cheshire, CT
    Vehicle:
    SWB '09 Tacoma DCSB Sport 4x4
    Wheels and Tires: 17x8" Ultra Goliath wheels with P285/70R17 Falken Wildpeak AT3/W tires, Suspension: Fox coilovers set at 2", TC UCA's, 1.5" lift 3 leaf pack with overload left in Other: TRD SS exhaust, Pioneer AVIC 4100 H/U with Android Auto (awesomeness), sat radio bluetooth, Accessories: Toyota roof rack, black Toyota running board steps, cargo divider, weathertech floor liners, Literider roll up soft tonneau, thule bars over tonneau, USB ports front and rear, seat heaters, birddawg mirror riser Cosmetic: window tint, grillcraft black mesh upper/lower grill, vinyl armrest in doors, Clazzio black seat covers with blue stitch, Redline steering wheel wrap Lighting: fogs only mod, back up lights, amber interior accent lighting, amber 10" LED light bar in hood scoop, 33" LED bar behind the lower grill, amber lamin-x on fog lights, Tacomabeast headlights and matching tails.
    I have the 3 leaf progressive AAL from wheelers offroad. Did not come with instructions. One end is longer than the other measuring from the center pin to either end. Which end goes front and which goes rear? The longer end is 18" and the shorter is 15".

19. Mar 28, 2009 at 5:35 PM
    GASH

GASH Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    Albuqueruqe
    Vehicle:
    2021 AG Off-road
    Who makes the springs for Icon?

20. Mar 31, 2009 at 12:18 PM
    Zombie Runner

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    Wichita Falls, TX
    Vehicle:
    2011 taco, sport 4x4
    oil change...
    Ive read somewhere that deaver makes them, but dont quote me on that

EDIT: on the first page Timmer was saying that he thought deaver made them...

Products Discussed in

To Top