1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Need suspension advice for my 4x4

Discussion in 'Suspension' started by Lovelynella, Feb 19, 2014.

1. Feb 19, 2014 at 9:29 PM
    Lovelynella

Lovelynella [OP] Member

Member:
    Central California
    Vehicle:
    2005 AC 4x4 6speed manual
    I've been crawling these forums and need to speak up and ask for some help.
    If Price was no object, I would get a LT and most likely would never use it since I live in Northern California, too far from the sand and desert. I love the wider stance with long travel LCA+UCA combination, but $3,000 on bare parts in the front is not worth it for me, since I need to match that in the rear along with welding and body work.
    I graduated from a UC and am looking to go back to school pending applications this fall. Therefore I must admit that I don't work on cars or trucks, or done anything like this before, nor own the tools. A friend of mine might have everything I need since his father maintains his own Freightliner and Kenworth at his own home shop. If not, a trusted local shop - quote $1400 new 265 general at2 w/ front lift to level & alignment.

1. 2005 AC 6 speed manual v6. All stock I believe. Bought it cheap 105k miles 5 or so years ago, barely put 50k on it and its been paid off for years. Only needed clutch and transmission repair/replacement. I need to check if anything was changed.
    2. My off-roading would be the mountains during any weather.
    3. I have 265/70/16 with stock rims
    4. I want taller, beefier tires 285/75/XX atleast.
    5. I want clearance up front and a front bumper like one from All Pro.
    6. Rear new Leafs with shocks, so I dont use a Block
    7. I want to preserve 4x4 so what do I need to make sure all the dimensions work

I feel I need Coil-Overs (3inch or extended? ie fox ect.), UCA (alignment Tchaos), Brake line extenders, and any 4x4 parts first. Then I would need to get rear leafs, and measure for shocks? Then decided on a custom pipe w/ skid plate or an enclosed AllPro style front bumper. At that point I want a truck that has a lift to fit taller beefier tires, can flex when crossing streams and jacked up mountainous terrain, and the look of an aggressive off road truck that will be used and not for show.

Will this give me what I want? If not, I ask for some help.

2. Feb 20, 2014 at 6:58 PM
    TacoBrah

TacoBrah Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    Icon stage 1, 255/85/16 KM2
    You got a lot going on in your post.

First decide how much you want to spend and/or what type of quality you want. How much lift do you want?

Also you should look into 255/85/16 or 255/80/17 if you want better performance than a 285.

3. Feb 20, 2014 at 7:10 PM
    avw4x4

avw4x4 Well-Hung Member

Member:
    First Name:
    (M)Andrew
    Rochester, NY
    Vehicle:
    2003 Yota
    ...loading....
    Maybe its just me but those tall skinnies just don't look right. Also, I doubt you'd notice a huge difference off road between 255s and 285s of the same tread design. I will give you the nod on efficiency and maintaining more factory grunt as they are significantly lighter, ugly but lighter :p

4. Feb 20, 2014 at 9:01 PM
    happy

happy Well-Known Member

Member:
    Eagle, CO
    Vehicle:
    '14 DCSB SR5 4x4 Silver Sky
    CBI Moab 2.0, 2.5" Radflo Coilovers, Light Racing UCA, Dakar Leaf Pack, 265/75 16 Kelly Safari TSR, Leer XR100
    The $1400--that includes tires (265s--I thought you said you wanted 285's), alignment, AND front lift? That seems mighty cheap to me, what are the front components they include?

From your list, it sounds like you've been reading up. Toytec sells good complete lift kits in the $1500 range--but that's without tires, alignment, or install labor.

Ugly skinny tires make you feel special and care about you more than fat pretty ones.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2014
  5. Feb 20, 2014 at 9:52 PM
    Lovelynella

Lovelynella [OP] Member

Member:
    Central California
    Vehicle:
    I would consider 255/85/16 but feel I'm limited to select tires only. Is there no benefit going for a wider tire?
    Should I give up on 285/75/xx because its impossible to get good clearance without fiberglass?

I've been looking around and feel that $3000 should be enough to get a complete set of front shocks, rear shocks, leafs, total chaos UCA's, and any other necessary equipment with some compromise. I have more to spend on tires/wheels. I must be missing items...

I am trying to understand price/performance of the parts because I want to have a mean truck, but don't want to spend money and end up with the same stock look.

6. Feb 21, 2014 at 6:28 AM
    happy

happy Well-Known Member

Member:
    Eagle, CO
    Vehicle:
    CBI Moab 2.0, 2.5" Radflo Coilovers, Light Racing UCA, Dakar Leaf Pack, 265/75 16 Kelly Safari TSR, Leer XR100
    Three grand is plenty. You are definitely not going to end up with a "stock look." You don't need fiberglass bodywork to clear 285/75 tires, but I think you will need aftermarket wheels.

As far as coilovers: "3 inch or extended" is a bit of a misconception. Coilovers are designed to give up to 3" of lift, while "extended travel" refers to a couple of extra inches of movement, rather than extra lift. People here love fox, icon and king. I like my 2.5" diameter, extended travel radflos with eibach coils, but I've heard they're harder to service. People love OME shocks and coils because they work great, provide lift, and are durable as hell.

In the back, there are a few leaf packs out there. I like my dakars.

If I were you I'd knock out the front and rear lift first, then tires, then bumper.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2014
  7. Feb 21, 2014 at 12:33 PM
    avw4x4

avw4x4 Well-Hung Member

Member:
    First Name:
    (M)Andrew
    Rochester, NY
    Vehicle:
    2003 Yota
    ...loading....
    Oh dear, someones into busted women :crazy:

And I agree with your suggested order of buying parts 100%, you aren't going to go anywhere you'll need the bumper without better tires. If you want to fit bigger tires you have to lift it so the order is pretty much predetermined.

8. Feb 21, 2014 at 6:58 PM
    Lovelynella

Lovelynella [OP] Member

Member:
    Central California
    Vehicle:
    Thank you for the first response I have gotten here or irl on how I should do things, but I want some more information as to what not to buy.

My question would be if I get rear leafs, how do I measure for a shocks? Since I lift upward with the springs, I would think I need longer travel?

Is there any benefit to get longer travel front coilovers? I believe 8inch with 600lb springs is what everyone gets, higher springs if you have more front weight?

What about maintaining my 4wheel drive? Am I going to mess anything up with just this basic setup?

9. Feb 21, 2014 at 7:57 PM
    avw4x4

avw4x4 Well-Hung Member

Member:
    First Name:
    (M)Andrew
    Rochester, NY
    Vehicle:
    2003 Yota
    ...loading....
    At 105k your factory leafs are almost guaranteed to be shot, you're probably best off getting a new leaf pack. While you're replacing everything doing the shocks wouldn't hurt. If not, the stock ones are fine for a couple inches of lift.

It doesn't sound like you'll be doing much high speed wheeling, I would strongly consider the OME kit with Dakar leaf springs. The extended travel coilovers are exactly what they sound like, more travel. Not more lift. For higher speed stuff you would appreciate this more than for the type of wheeling it sounds like you want to do. Granted the extended travel will ride nicer too but you pay for that where you may want to consider putting the money towards armor or recovery gear.

I'm not sure what you mean by maintaining your 4 wheel drive, but none of these lifts do anything to turn your truck only 2 wheel drive. Keep to 3in to maintain decent CV angles for maximum longevity. You may get some vibrations afterwards but there are solutions for most (ecgs needle bearing, rear axle whims, etc.). Your truck should only become more capable from the lift.

Finally, I recall you throwing out a $3000 figure out a few times. If you're willing to spend that much you have MANY options. Perhaps you should think about the conditions you'll be wheeling in and what features are most important to you a bit more before making a decision.

Good luck, keep us posted!

10. Feb 21, 2014 at 8:05 PM
    happy

happy Well-Known Member

Member:
    Eagle, CO
    Vehicle:
    ^this,^this,^this &^this.
    & for the record, I like fat ones too :dancingbacon:

11. Feb 21, 2014 at 8:15 PM
    avw4x4

avw4x4 Well-Hung Member

Member:
    First Name:
    (M)Andrew
    Rochester, NY
    Vehicle:
    2003 Yota
    ...loading....
    Haha, hell yeah brother!:cheers:

12. Feb 22, 2014 at 12:52 AM
    Lovelynella

Lovelynella [OP] Member

Member:
    Central California
    Vehicle:
    Thanks everyone for chiming in.

I was worried about needing a large amount of other parts. By your advice, it would seem I'm over complicating everything. I've just seen lots of example builds of other trucks, and the list of modifications made me believe I needed most of them.

Referring back to long travel shocks, the spring does not have to be longer correct? All that this means is the piston extends farther; does that cause problems without an aftermarket LCA?

13. Feb 22, 2014 at 2:49 PM
    happy

happy Well-Known Member

Member:
    Eagle, CO
    Vehicle:
    When you say "long travel" I think you mean "extended travel"--the answer to your question is yes, the springs do not have to be longer. And yes, you need aftermarket UCA's if you install extended travel coilovers.

"Long Travel" is a whole different beast which I know little about except that if you go that route your $3000 will just get you started.

Read here:
    http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/lo...-considering-long-travel-read-here-first.html

14. Feb 23, 2014 at 11:37 AM
    Lovelynella

Lovelynella [OP] Member

Member:
    Central California
    Vehicle:
    Thank you very much. Yes I meant, Extended Travel.

I'm looking for wheels+tires at the moment. I thought 285/75/16 for the wider look, but minimal height gain. Then I found this post , If he can fit those huge tires, I might go 295/75/16 because the way he cut his fenders looks great.

Does anyone have advice ordering these online? A friend of mine recommends Summit Racing because he buys parts for his 67 Mustang, and just got parts for his old Ranger 4x4. I've found most parts on sites like Allpro and DSM's.

I'm currently looking at 16x8 wheels with 4.5 backspacing.

15. Feb 23, 2014 at 11:48 AM
    avw4x4

avw4x4 Well-Hung Member

Member:
    First Name:
    (M)Andrew
    Rochester, NY
    Vehicle:
    2003 Yota
    ...loading....
    Discount tire direct has very good prices, free shipping, and good customer service. I'll be using them for tires again when the time comes.

16. Feb 23, 2014 at 4:31 PM
    Lovelynella

Lovelynella [OP] Member

Member:
    Central California
    Vehicle:
    ahh, sorry for my poorly written response. Yes I like TireRack.

I meant to say, where do you recommend I purchase the shocks/spring/uca ect. All pro and DSM have just about everything.

17. Feb 23, 2014 at 5:04 PM
    avw4x4

avw4x4 Well-Hung Member

Member:
    First Name:
    (M)Andrew
    Rochester, NY
    Vehicle:
    2003 Yota
    ...loading....
    Check out Toytec too.

18. Feb 24, 2014 at 12:05 AM
    Lovelynella

Lovelynella [OP] Member

Member:
    Central California
    Vehicle:
    Using Down South Motors, AllPro, and Off Road Warehouse as a reference:

They advertise Extended Travel Coil Overs, Do I not buy those since I do not have a Long Travel kit? Will having 6inch travel not do anything? Will the UCA's hit the spring when extended?

All Pro seems to have a cheap set of leaf springs, why are the Dakar's double? Also with these large springs, I need new U-Bolt kits right?

What Length rear shock do I purchase? Bilstein ok, or is Fox-style really needed?

16x8 4.5'' back spacing + 285~295/75/16 is where I'm at right now. That's roughly $4500 total where do you recommend I save my money?

19. Feb 24, 2014 at 8:00 AM
    TacoBrah

TacoBrah Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    Icon stage 1, 255/85/16 KM2
    Just keep reading the forums here.

Extended travel are not LT, they give you 1" extra travel, and you need aftermarket UCAs.

Dakars seem to be the best leaf pack for height and capacity, if you dont tow or put a lot of weight in the back you might not want them. My truck was bottoming out with the stock springs when I went over bumps with about ~500 lbs in back, I put in a wheelers 3 leaf HD AAL and its really nice now with the weight in.

What brand rear shock depends on what you want, lots of people are okay with OME or Bilstein, some go with higher quality of fox/king/icon etc.

I would call Dan at WheelersOffroad, he is very helpful and knowledgeable.

20. Feb 24, 2014 at 10:52 AM
    4WDTrout

4WDTrout Perpetually dreaming of tall trees & rivers

Member:
    First Name:
    Theo
    Vehicle:
    08 4WD SR5 DCSB
    Total Tacoma nOOb.
    This.

Every time I've spoken with Dan at WheelersOffRoad on the phone he's been extremely helpful and pleasant.

Last edited: Feb 24, 2014

Products Discussed in

To Top