1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Cranking coilovers on Fabtech 6" w/ Dirt logics?

Discussion in 'Suspension' started by Max713, Feb 27, 2014.

1. Feb 27, 2014 at 12:55 PM
    Max713

Max713 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Max
    Eugene, OR
    Vehicle:
    2017 MGM TRD OR
    So I'm running a 6" Fabtech drop bracket lift with dirt logics all around. The rear leaves are starting to sag, and axle wrap is just getting worse and worse with the AAL and blocks supplied with the kit, so I plan to upgrade to Alcans out back.

After looking through a lot of threads, the Alcans tend to run tall, which isn't an issue as long as I can compensate up front. I hate "saggy butt" more than anything, the last thing I want to do is order a new set of Alcans and have them be just a little short and have to compensate with a block or shackle relocation in the back... I'd much rather order knowing they would be plenty tall, and adjust the front end accordingly.

So, the question is, what are the negative side effects of cranking the coilovers a little more? Rougher ride? Slightly worse CV angle?
    All the ball joints on the front end are good, as well as every other moving part, although the rack and pinion is going out, not that that correlates.
    As the truck sits, the coilovers are cranked to a position that there is only 1" of threads visible above the "nut", AT MOST. There is of course inches of thread available under the "nut".

Would love to hear some input, I would love a little more height out of the front end as well, a little more clearance would do well for the little bit of rubbing I have running 35s...

Hoping there will be no issue getting a little bit more height out of the front end.

Thanks!

2. Feb 27, 2014 at 5:19 PM
    Max713

Member:
    First Name:
    Max
    Eugene, OR
    Vehicle:
    2017 MGM TRD OR
    And to show how little the coilovers are cranked right now, hoping there won't be any major downsides in going further.

photo_zps74f5fa57_c64b890fc95f1439f1c5b0952b62710a2edd0000.jpg

3. Feb 28, 2014 at 1:57 PM
    Max713

Member:
    First Name:
    Max
    Eugene, OR
    Vehicle:
    2017 MGM TRD OR
    Maybe my concern is too simple for a response? Coilovers are adjustable for a reason, just curious on others experiences before I pull the trigger...

4. Feb 28, 2014 at 2:05 PM
    Hiatt1991

Hiatt1991 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Hiatt
    Ventura, CA
    Vehicle:
    2022 Toyota Tacoma SR5 DCSB 4x4
    4" Bodylift 20" Offroad shock spacers Turbo Encabulator
    Basically all of your concerns are accurate and valid. If you crank them more, the suspension will be firmer in comparison to how much you crank them down. What I would be most concerned about is your CV angles. What you don't want is to have the fins of the CV boot touch. What some people do is stretch them back a bit so the fins don't touch, shown here: http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd-gen-tacomas/190669-my-cv-boot-mod.html but I doubt you will have that problem. If you don't like how your truck rides after you crank your coilovers, you can always go down to a lower spring rate.

5. Feb 28, 2014 at 2:12 PM
    Max713

Member:
    First Name:
    Max
    Eugene, OR
    Vehicle:
    2017 MGM TRD OR
    Thank you for the reply, exactly the info I wanted.
    I'll get under the truck today to check out my CV angles, from what I remember they aren't bad at all.
    I had thought about that, going to a lower sprig rate that is. Where would I go for new springs, Fabtech I'm assuming? How would I know what rate to go with? The ride as is isn't very good, I imagine after cranking a little more, new springs would be a good choice.

Products Discussed in

To Top