LSC15's 95 Tacoma 4x4

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

How to: Front shock/spring removal

Old 03-29-2009, 06:30 AM   #22
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by rossk35 View Post
Instead of unbolting the ball joint why not just remove the top control arm. Its easier that way which is the way I do it on the 5 lug tacomas when installing a drop kit.
Much easier to remove 1 nut, than to remove the whole UCA. Why go thru extra steps if its not needed.
Old 03-30-2009, 05:40 PM   #23
Blackened Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackened Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackened Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackened Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackened Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackened Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackened Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackened Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackened Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackened Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackened Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Tony
Blackened Taco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris4x4 View Post
Well, We took the stock shocks/springs to Pep Boys to have them swap the new OME 885 springs and Bilstien 5100 shocks. We dropped them off, and left to go assemble Matts new TC UCA's. We needed a different size grease zerk for one of the arms, so we headed back to Pep Boys. We got the parts, hung out for a bit, then, while we were on aisle 9a, my phone rings, it was Pep Boys telling me the shocks were finished. We stroll over to the counter, and the dude says, "Here ya go!" with a big grin on his face. The Top Plates were on crooked, and Im looking at them and notice, that they assembled them without the bushings or washers!!! The service dude, says "Oh...sorry about that, I'll go get it fixed"....I told him I want to go back there and show the dude how to build them....he started to mumble something, but I was already walking back there. So I see this fat ass trying to work the spring compressor, and he asked "whats wrong with them?"....I about LOST IT! I told him "They need to have the bushings installed, washeres, and the spring is installed wrong". The manager was right there, and he looked at the tech and said "You should have known better! How many of these have you done?". Well, I showed both of them how to do it. Matts Top Plate was gouged as the top nut was installed without a bushing or washer, and it was gouging the Top Plate. Idiots. I was pissed.
Chris I am glad you told this story up until that point I was like how the HELL did he change out those springs in the parking lot? My head was spinning. First off wrenching that shit by hand is bad enough, but I was like how did he do the springs, at first I thought he had bought preassembled. WOW ..... now I can reax a little. Great job helping out Packerfan45 and a good "How to" as well. win/win for all. Good job!
Old 03-30-2009, 06:23 PM   #24
Thinks he's Steve McQueen
squad314 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsquad314 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsquad314 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsquad314 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsquad314 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsquad314 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsquad314 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsquad314 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsquad314 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsquad314 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsquad314 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter:
Name: Marc
squad314's Tacoma Gallery
Great write-up,thanks alot guys.....I'm going to tackle this when my Billies arrive.Until then I'm trying to establish who to take the assembly to who can build them without screwing it up.
Old 03-31-2009, 09:20 AM   #25
Thinks he's Steve McQueen
squad314 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsquad314 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsquad314 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsquad314 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsquad314 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsquad314 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsquad314 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsquad314 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsquad314 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsquad314 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsquad314 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter:
squad314's Tacoma Gallery
Chris,do you recommend a dab of loctite on those fasteners on reassembly?........Blue?
Old 03-31-2009, 10:59 AM   #26
cajuntaco is on a distinguished road

cajuntaco's Tacoma Gallery
From what I have been hearing you will pay in labor about what you pay for the lift.
Old 03-31-2009, 11:27 AM   #27
Something about something
Zombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: AMMO (2W0)
Name: Kevin
Zombie Runner's Tacoma Gallery
hey those springs provide 2" of lift correct? I already have the billys but have'nt installed them yet. I have the toytec spacer right now and i want to ditch that thing.
Old 03-31-2009, 11:43 AM   #28
09 but I drive a 012 Expedition...
tacoholic is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoholic is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoholic is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoholic is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoholic is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoholic is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoholic is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoholic is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoholic is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoholic is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoholic is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jeff...I'm pretty sure
tacoholic's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to tacoholic
Sick write up! I still would've smacked the shit out of the tech guy though.
Old 03-31-2009, 05:19 PM   #29
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by squad314 View Post
Chris,do you recommend a dab of loctite on those fasteners on reassembly?........Blue?
No lock tight. Just torque them down good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keason1* View Post
hey those springs provide 2" of lift correct? I already have the billys but have'nt installed them yet. I have the toytec spacer right now and i want to ditch that thing.
We put the OME 885's and the 10mm lift enhancer on Packerfan's truck. He got just over 3.75" of lift.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tacoholic View Post
Sick write up! I still would've smacked the shit out of the tech guy though.
I have been debating if I want to go back and smack him.... He should be banned from owning a wrench....if he even knows what one of those are.
Old 03-31-2009, 08:22 PM   #31
redraider is one of the sharper tools in the shedredraider is one of the sharper tools in the shedredraider is one of the sharper tools in the shedredraider is one of the sharper tools in the shedredraider is one of the sharper tools in the shedredraider is one of the sharper tools in the shedredraider is one of the sharper tools in the shedredraider is one of the sharper tools in the shedredraider is one of the sharper tools in the shedredraider is one of the sharper tools in the shedredraider is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Eric
redraider's Tacoma Gallery
subscribing
Old 03-31-2009, 08:53 PM   #32
Dirty White Boy
Marc M is one of the sharper tools in the shedMarc M is one of the sharper tools in the shedMarc M is one of the sharper tools in the shedMarc M is one of the sharper tools in the shedMarc M is one of the sharper tools in the shedMarc M is one of the sharper tools in the shedMarc M is one of the sharper tools in the shedMarc M is one of the sharper tools in the shedMarc M is one of the sharper tools in the shedMarc M is one of the sharper tools in the shedMarc M is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marc M's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to Marc M
Need to get one of these, I love mine!

Marc M
Old 03-31-2009, 08:56 PM   #33
redraider is one of the sharper tools in the shedredraider is one of the sharper tools in the shedredraider is one of the sharper tools in the shedredraider is one of the sharper tools in the shedredraider is one of the sharper tools in the shedredraider is one of the sharper tools in the shedredraider is one of the sharper tools in the shedredraider is one of the sharper tools in the shedredraider is one of the sharper tools in the shedredraider is one of the sharper tools in the shedredraider is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Eric
redraider's Tacoma Gallery
yes yes i do
Old 04-01-2009, 01:25 AM   #34
Chuy has much to be proud ofChuy has much to be proud ofChuy has much to be proud ofChuy has much to be proud ofChuy has much to be proud ofChuy has much to be proud ofChuy has much to be proud ofChuy has much to be proud ofChuy has much to be proud ofChuy has much to be proud of
Law Enforcement: ICE - San Diego Field Office
Chuy's Tacoma Gallery
I installed 5100's last summer on my 07 4X4 Taco.

I did a couple of things differently.

I did not remove any ball joints or control arms. The lower ball joint separates in half; it is held by two bolts. The lower conrol arm bushings did have enough tension to keep the LCA in place, but, having dealt with ball joints on other cars, I found it a lot easier to deal with the LCA than with ball joints.

I swapped the coil springs. I measured the ride height before the install and noticed the driver-side was about .25" lower than the passenger side. Wheeler's Off-Road made the suggestion and it worked!
Old 04-01-2009, 09:24 AM   #35
0wrx2 is on a distinguished road
0wrx2's Tacoma Gallery
good write up! sounds like a classic case of "if you want something done right...."

im a big fan of doing everything myself, so during a coilover install for my WRX, I found a set of cheap spring compressors from sears for 55 bucks that do the trick just fine. not a bad investment for the price.

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_1...pecialty+Tools

that way you dont need to deal with "techs" at pepboys.
Old 04-01-2009, 10:16 AM   #36
AngryTacoma
#Reistlehr- is on a distinguished road
#Reistlehr-'s Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to #Reistlehr- Send a message via MSN to #Reistlehr- Send a message via Yahoo to #Reistlehr-
man, now i can see how to do it, i really want to.. but im afraid i will forget something and teh front end fall apart.
Old 04-01-2009, 02:29 PM   #37
obsurfer1990 is an unknown quantity at this point
obsurfer1990's Tacoma Gallery
so in order to install my 5100s i just remove the assembly and bring it into a shop to put the 5100s together and set them to the correct height then i just put them back in??
Old 04-01-2009, 04:47 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by PackerfanXD View Post
Let's do it!
After all this BS in the government, Im afraid that I wouldnt stop after a simple "Smack".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc M View Post
Need to get one of these, I love mine!

Marc M
Where did you get that???? How much????

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuy View Post
I installed 5100's last summer on my 07 4X4 Taco.

I did a couple of things differently.

I did not remove any ball joints or control arms. The lower ball joint separates in half; it is held by two bolts. The lower conrol arm bushings did have enough tension to keep the LCA in place, but, having dealt with ball joints on other cars, I found it a lot easier to deal with the LCA than with ball joints.

I swapped the coil springs. I measured the ride height before the install and noticed the driver-side was about .25" lower than the passenger side. Wheeler's Off-Road made the suggestion and it worked!
Thats another way of doing it. I prefer to just get the Upper arm out of the way. Give a little more room to work in there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 0wrx2 View Post
good write up! sounds like a classic case of "if you want something done right...."

im a big fan of doing everything myself, so during a coilover install for my WRX, I found a set of cheap spring compressors from sears for 55 bucks that do the trick just fine. not a bad investment for the price.

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_1...pecialty+Tools

that way you dont need to deal with "techs" at pepboys.
The Tacoma Springs have been known to break and bend the shit out of those types of spring compressors.
Quote:
Originally Posted by #Reistlehr- View Post
man, now i can see how to do it, i really want to.. but im afraid i will forget something and teh front end fall apart.
After each step, stop and make sure you didnt forget anything. You can do it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by obsurfer1990 View Post
so in order to install my 5100s i just remove the assembly and bring it into a shop to put the 5100s together and set them to the correct height then i just put them back in??
Yeppo!
Old 04-05-2009, 04:30 AM   #39
dozer711 is a name known to alldozer711 is a name known to alldozer711 is a name known to alldozer711 is a name known to alldozer711 is a name known to alldozer711 is a name known to all

dozer711's Tacoma Gallery
Great write up Chris!
Just in time for me to do mine. I just had the spring TSB done Friday. Hoping to install the lift I purchased from brianincc last month this weekend.
Hmmm, that coil compressor is not a good one to use? What kind would you suggest? Remember I got the 886's from him. THX
Old 04-05-2009, 04:45 AM   #40
dozer711 is a name known to alldozer711 is a name known to alldozer711 is a name known to alldozer711 is a name known to alldozer711 is a name known to alldozer711 is a name known to all

dozer711's Tacoma Gallery
Looks like a nice compressor

Looks like a nice compressor,
http://losangeles.craigslist.org/lgb...106916493.html

Products Discussed in this Thread