Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

How to: Front shock/spring removal

Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 03-19-2013, 10:53 PM   #441
Monster1 is on a distinguished road
Army: 11th Infantry (radio man)
Monster1's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks to everyone for the help, that helped me a lot in making it easy to do the front install. And the stance on the Tacoma looks great, can't wait to do mine as soon as I get a little time. Again thanks to everyone involved.
Old 03-20-2013, 09:16 PM   #442
geogecko has a spectacular aura aboutgeogecko has a spectacular aura aboutgeogecko has a spectacular aura about
geogecko's Tacoma Gallery
I pulled the steering tie rod, front sway bar, and that was it. I used stock coils and the 5100's set on 0.85. It was a PITA at first, to get the assembly back in, but what I did, was crawl into the wheel well, with my back against it, put one hand on top of the UCA, right where the ball joint is, and my knee on top of the brake caliper. Push down on top of the UCA and caliper, against your back in the wheel well, and you can have someone push in the shock assembly and the bolt at the bottom. Actually, with my free hand, I pushed the shock in on one side, and didn't have any issues, but still had to have help getting the bolt hole to line up.

When I did the front diff driver's side bushing (East Coast Gear Supply), I removed the LCA from the knuckle via the two bolts on the bottom. I'm guessing if you struggle with what I said above, this would be the next easiest thing to do, and I don't think that messes with the alignment either. This would allow you to push everything back together, fairly easily, I think.

The only thing I'm not sure about, is if you would need a little jack to push the LCA back up, without the shock assembly in place yet. Since I already had it installed when I did the front diff bushing.

Have fun, just think about what you are doing, and don't get in a hurry.
Old 03-24-2013, 08:17 AM   #443
Pabst knows best
banditstpk is one of the sharper tools in the shedbanditstpk is one of the sharper tools in the shedbanditstpk is one of the sharper tools in the shedbanditstpk is one of the sharper tools in the shedbanditstpk is one of the sharper tools in the shedbanditstpk is one of the sharper tools in the shedbanditstpk is one of the sharper tools in the shedbanditstpk is one of the sharper tools in the shedbanditstpk is one of the sharper tools in the shedbanditstpk is one of the sharper tools in the shedbanditstpk is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: patrick
banditstpk's Tacoma Gallery
im replacing my front shocks today i will take pics of the process and post them up so we can get some reference pics up

using this as a reference for my install
http://www.lieblweb.com/cornbredlift.html
Old 03-24-2013, 11:48 AM   #444
'interfering with Darwin since 1990'
VE7OSR is one of the sharper tools in the shedVE7OSR is one of the sharper tools in the shedVE7OSR is one of the sharper tools in the shedVE7OSR is one of the sharper tools in the shedVE7OSR is one of the sharper tools in the shedVE7OSR is one of the sharper tools in the shedVE7OSR is one of the sharper tools in the shedVE7OSR is one of the sharper tools in the shedVE7OSR is one of the sharper tools in the shedVE7OSR is one of the sharper tools in the shedVE7OSR is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rob II
VE7OSR's Tacoma Gallery
From experience, one of my LCA swung out of the way with no problem, the other I had to use a strap (connected it to the jack, Truck was on jackstands!)to pull it down. I had no problems getting the alignment cams back into their original position. The challenge was jacking the truck up high enough, but a friend's dad had jackstands that would work. In this manner I avoided the steering tie rod, and sway bar removal (less work) and the shock assembly drops straight down.
Old 04-14-2013, 08:32 PM   #445
stump jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedstump jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedstump jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedstump jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedstump jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedstump jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedstump jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedstump jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedstump jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedstump jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedstump jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Bill
stump jumper's Tacoma Gallery
I think I am missing something. I have replaced front shocks on many a Ford but never a Toyota. If I am just replacing shocks and not putting in new coils do I need to take the whole coil and shock assembly out?.
Old 04-15-2013, 07:10 AM   #446
Gregoryk is on a distinguished road
Name: Greg
Gregoryk's Tacoma Gallery
Yes you must remove the coils to replace the shocks. Think of them as struts even though they are shocks.
Old 04-15-2013, 11:46 AM   #447
stump jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedstump jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedstump jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedstump jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedstump jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedstump jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedstump jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedstump jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedstump jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedstump jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedstump jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Bill
stump jumper's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregoryk View Post
Yes you must remove the coils to replace the shocks. Think of them as struts even though they are shocks.
That is what I thought. My Fords had the shock inside the coil but I guess they are all a little different.
Old 04-16-2013, 10:07 AM   #449
crumf20 has a spectacular aura aboutcrumf20 has a spectacular aura aboutcrumf20 has a spectacular aura about

Name: Wesley
crumf20's Tacoma Gallery
So if I just have stock suspension but I want to level the front end so it loos and perform a better, and I buy 5100's do I need new springs in the front too? Or just the 5100 shocks?
Old 04-17-2013, 10:06 AM   #450
HB Taco is a name known to allHB Taco is a name known to allHB Taco is a name known to allHB Taco is a name known to allHB Taco is a name known to allHB Taco is a name known to all
HB Taco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by crumf20 View Post
So if I just have stock suspension but I want to level the front end so it loos and perform a better, and I buy 5100's do I need new springs in the front too? Or just the 5100 shocks?
Short answer = Just the shocks and adj the ride height by setting the clip in one of the 4 positions. 0-2.5" research for more info on the shocks.
Old 04-17-2013, 11:40 AM   #451
crumf20 has a spectacular aura aboutcrumf20 has a spectacular aura aboutcrumf20 has a spectacular aura about

Name: Wesley
crumf20's Tacoma Gallery
thank you very much! one more question though, would these bilsteins fit my truck? not the coils but just the shocks?
Old 04-25-2013, 09:32 PM   #455
Matt719 is on a distinguished road

Name: Matt
Matt719's Tacoma Gallery
any tips on how to replace the top coil isolator? Im removing some sketchy coil spacer lift and bought all the stock stuff to put on
Old 04-30-2013, 08:31 AM   #456
Gene563 is a name known to allGene563 is a name known to allGene563 is a name known to allGene563 is a name known to allGene563 is a name known to allGene563 is a name known to all

Marines: 1982-1988 Okinawa, Japan & Southern California
Name: Eugene
Gene563's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt719 View Post
any tips on how to replace the top coil isolator? Im removing some sketchy coil spacer lift and bought all the stock stuff to put on
Matt,
I recently installed 5100 and Eibachs. I wanted to make life simple, so I found all the parts needed to assemble my struts, then just swapped them when the time came.
I bought the isolators off ebay. I couldn't find anything for 2nd gen, and the ones I found are listed for first gen. I bought one as a test and it fit perfectly ... $11.

The top plate is a Monroe unit from RockAuto ... $18.

Old 07-07-2013, 05:49 PM   #457
sippinoniceteaz is on a distinguished road
sippinoniceteaz's Tacoma Gallery
Did we have a working link of pics for this install yet?
Old 07-09-2013, 05:57 AM   #458
Optimus2009 is a name known to allOptimus2009 is a name known to allOptimus2009 is a name known to allOptimus2009 is a name known to allOptimus2009 is a name known to allOptimus2009 is a name known to all

Army:
Optimus2009's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by sippinoniceteaz View Post
Did we have a working link of pics for this install yet?
Page 8
Old 09-02-2013, 08:25 PM   #459
ViperACR is on a distinguished road
ViperACR's Tacoma Gallery
I have a 2013 Dbl cab Sport, I am planning to order the Bilstein 5100's for all 4 corners, 885 springs. I am a little confused on the AAL. I have 4 springs now, so the AAL will make 5. Is that correct or am I missing something?

My goals are running a 265-75-17 tire, FJ wheels, and a lift around 2.5. I will do very light hauling and pull a small utility trailer on a limited basis. 99% city/highway driving with very little off road.
Old 10-03-2013, 07:18 AM   #460
jchav is on a distinguished road
Army:
Name: Justin
jchav's Tacoma Gallery
Can anyone post pics in this thread? I'm about to try to install my lift for the first time and I think this could be a good resource. Or re-direct me o another thread thanks!

Products Discussed in this Thread