Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

How to: Front shock/spring removal

Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 09-02-2013, 07:25 PM   #461
ViperACR is on a distinguished road
ViperACR's Tacoma Gallery
I have a 2013 Dbl cab Sport, I am planning to order the Bilstein 5100's for all 4 corners, 885 springs. I am a little confused on the AAL. I have 4 springs now, so the AAL will make 5. Is that correct or am I missing something?

My goals are running a 265-75-17 tire, FJ wheels, and a lift around 2.5. I will do very light hauling and pull a small utility trailer on a limited basis. 99% city/highway driving with very little off road.
Old 10-03-2013, 06:18 AM   #462
jchav is on a distinguished road
Army:
Name: Justin
jchav's Tacoma Gallery
Can anyone post pics in this thread? I'm about to try to install my lift for the first time and I think this could be a good resource. Or re-direct me o another thread thanks!
Old 10-24-2013, 11:22 AM   #463
One of the original 7928
NumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Navy: Student Pilot
Name: Nick
NumNutz's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jchav View Post
Can anyone post pics in this thread? I'm about to try to install my lift for the first time and I think this could be a good resource. Or re-direct me o another thread thanks!
Pictures are on page 8.
Old 12-27-2013, 10:51 AM   #464
RedDead will become famous soon enough
RedDead's Tacoma Gallery
http://youtu.be/w58_1Ugk4KY

these guys looked like they just removed the two lower ball join bolts and the shock mount bolt….i was gonna follow this write-up and do it in my drive way but i feel like this way looks easier so should i just take it to a rent-a-bay shop?
Old 12-29-2013, 10:05 PM   #465
RedDead will become famous soon enough
RedDead's Tacoma Gallery
disregard that last post..lol
Old 02-09-2014, 04:57 PM   #466
Stalker
TacoBrah is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoBrah is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoBrah is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoBrah is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoBrah is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoBrah is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoBrah is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoBrah is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoBrah is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoBrah is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoBrah is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Sean
TacoBrah's Tacoma Gallery
I am going to do UCAs the same time as putting on COs. At what point do I do that? First get the strut out then install UCA?
Old 02-13-2014, 08:45 AM   #467
Professional bear handler
MTopp is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTopp is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTopp is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTopp is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTopp is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTopp is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTopp is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTopp is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTopp is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTopp is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTopp is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Matt
MTopp's Tacoma Gallery
subd
Old 02-13-2014, 11:54 AM   #468
snow is awesome
VE7OSR is one of the sharper tools in the shedVE7OSR is one of the sharper tools in the shedVE7OSR is one of the sharper tools in the shedVE7OSR is one of the sharper tools in the shedVE7OSR is one of the sharper tools in the shedVE7OSR is one of the sharper tools in the shedVE7OSR is one of the sharper tools in the shedVE7OSR is one of the sharper tools in the shedVE7OSR is one of the sharper tools in the shedVE7OSR is one of the sharper tools in the shedVE7OSR is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rob II
VE7OSR's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TacoBrah View Post
I am going to do UCAs the same time as putting on COs. At what point do I do that? First get the strut out then install UCA?
Sure. strut out first make sense, then UCA then the new CO, but the strut is not an impediment either way. May give you more working room, but the real PIA part is getting the long bolt out on the UCA.
Old 02-15-2014, 07:54 AM   #469
VinTaco is on a distinguished road

VinTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Can you not just buy something cheap to compress your shocks and do it yourself..?
Old 02-16-2014, 06:53 AM   #471

VinTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Makes sense... Thanks
Old 03-26-2014, 08:14 PM   #472
yota20000 is on a distinguished road
yota20000's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris4x4 View Post
Make sure they re use the stock washers off the front shocks. THere is 3 of them. they go on the OME shocks the same way.
Chris I called the local dealership today for new washers and bushings-actually they call them retainers and cushions-and they told me I needed (3) retainers and (2) cushions for each side and quoted me $108 so I was going to buy the set that Wheelers sells but their set only has (2) retainers and they told me they will work on a 1st gen. Who's right? I want to assemble my new struts before removing the old so I want to get it right the first time.
Thanks-you are the Tacoma professor!
Old 03-26-2014, 08:27 PM   #473
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by yota20000 View Post
Chris I called the local dealership today for new washers and bushings-actually they call them retainers and cushions-and they told me I needed (3) retainers and (2) cushions for each side and quoted me $108 so I was going to buy the set that Wheelers sells but their set only has (2) retainers and they told me they will work on a 1st gen. Who's right? I want to assemble my new struts before removing the old so I want to get it right the first time.
Thanks-you are the Tacoma professor!
I would trust wheelers, but make sure they have the info for the correct year.
Old 03-26-2014, 08:38 PM   #474
yota20000 is on a distinguished road
yota20000's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4WD View Post
Chris has got it laid out for you guys in a simple , straight forward, procedure & if any of you have the mech. aptitude & want to do it yourselves if you go to autozone they might just loan you the
spring compressor for free with a $50 deposit like they do here in San Diego, I dunno, worth checking into......

couple pics from my 1st gen. procedure (bsically the same as 2nd gen in regards to R&R/safety issues) pic with the center nut thats not to be removed until spring is correctly compressed (it holds the "pre load").....good luck
Do you happen to have photos of when you removed the strut mount to see the order that the bushings and washers were in? Toyota says it has (3) washers and (2) bushings but Wheelers set has only (2) washers?
Old 04-27-2014, 03:22 PM   #475
Eric05774 is on a distinguished road
Eric05774's Tacoma Gallery
I just replaced struts on my 99 tacoma. Rented a compressor from advanced auto took me 20 min per. I am uncertain how much torque is needed on the top nut the nut that's part of the strut.anyone know?
Old 04-28-2014, 05:18 AM   #476

VinTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric05774 View Post
I just replaced struts on my 99 tacoma. Rented a compressor from advanced auto took me 20 min per. I am uncertain how much torque is needed on the top nut the nut that's part of the strut.anyone know?
There isn't a torque per say, once the bushing is compressed that nut wont move because of the pressure against it. I watched the guy at the shop put them on and he just tightened them until the bushing flattened out a bit.
Attached Thumbnails
How to: Front shock/spring removal-taco.jpg  
Old 04-28-2014, 09:41 PM   #477
Eric05774 is on a distinguished road
Eric05774's Tacoma Gallery
Oh cool,the bushing compressed quite a bit. The old ones were probably original I was guessing how much to tighten based off where the nut was on old ones. Not sure if I want to tighten them all the way. I installed kyb gas adjust if that makes a difference
Old 04-29-2014, 12:08 AM   #478
cRaZy oLdmAn
4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Doug
4WD's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by yota20000 View Post
Do you happen to have photos of when you removed the strut mount to see the order that the bushings and washers were in? Toyota says it has (3) washers and (2) bushings but Wheelers set has only (2) washers?
Don't know if your still looking but the bushing config is : metal washer/grommet/grommet/metal washer....nut/tighten to about 35-40 ft.lbs
Old 05-04-2014, 04:18 PM   #479
Greenroom69 is on a distinguished road
Greenroom69's Tacoma Gallery
Front spring and shock replacement

Just completed front spring/shock replacement. Rented spring compressors from advance for $50 deposit. The ones provided are a real challenge to install properly, kinda scary but survived it! For the other side I used a jack at the lower control arm to decompress the spring and install the new shock. Worked like a champ. Stoked to have saved some money and really interesting to be in there understanding how it all works! Thanks to all the posters on here with great tips and links.
Old 05-11-2014, 10:23 AM   #480
nrm is one of the sharper tools in the shednrm is one of the sharper tools in the shednrm is one of the sharper tools in the shednrm is one of the sharper tools in the shednrm is one of the sharper tools in the shednrm is one of the sharper tools in the shednrm is one of the sharper tools in the shednrm is one of the sharper tools in the shednrm is one of the sharper tools in the shednrm is one of the sharper tools in the shednrm is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army:
nrm's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenroom69 View Post
For the other side I used a jack at the lower control arm to decompress the spring and install the new shock. Worked like a champ.
Just did this last night in my garage for both sides. After reading about other guys going this route and watching a video, I decided there was no need to pay for a compressor. Worked great and I didn't even disconnect my swaybar, just let the shock drop out from inside the coil, pulled it, then pulled the coil, no issues. Super easy reinstall as well.

Products Discussed in this Thread