Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

How to: Front shock/spring removal

Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 05-16-2014, 05:09 AM   #481
double_b is a name known to alldouble_b is a name known to alldouble_b is a name known to alldouble_b is a name known to alldouble_b is a name known to alldouble_b is a name known to all
double_b's Tacoma Gallery
Wanted to give my method for installing my pre-assembled coil overs from Wheelers. They were OME884 with Bilstein 5100s.

I had a buddy who is a body man(for 30 years) help me. I explained to him the several different ways of doing the front coil over removal and install from here on TW. I liked the method of loosening the cam bolts and removing the two bolts from the LCA and ball joint "knuckle".

We did a little bit of each method in this thread. By a little bit we basically did one step only from each method.

First: We removed the sway bar brackets to allow the sway bar some room to move out of the way. Only the brackets not the joint.

Second: We removed the two bolts holding the LCA to the ball joint area(sorry, not sure of the term) like shown in the video earlier in this thread. We did not loosen the cam bolts for the LCA.

Third: I took a 2x4 and slid it between the portion of the LCA nearer to the cab and then pushed down with my foot to force the LCA down and out of the way while he removed the factory coil over then slid the new one in. When we did the first side I had a pry bar and a shorter 2x4 then on the driver side we couldn't quite get enough distance down with that combo and we realized a longer 2x and no pry bar was the ticket and this worked perfect and was easy. Lots of leverage. Just watch the axle boot so you don't rip it or pinch it with the 2x4.

Overall was an easy process, yes bigger jack, bigger jack stands and air tools help but still pretty straight forward. Glad I didn't take it to a shop and pay 300 or 400 to get it and the AAL installed.

Here is a pic I took while pushing the LCA down.

Sorry, its the only pic I took while we were doing it but its the only thing that is slightly different than has already been shown in the thread.

Old 05-24-2014, 07:56 PM   #482
Professional bear handler
MTopp is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTopp is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTopp is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTopp is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTopp is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTopp is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTopp is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTopp is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTopp is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTopp is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTopp is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Matt
MTopp's Tacoma Gallery
Where is this video earlier in the thread? I'm going to be changing shock in the next couple days possibly
Old 05-29-2014, 07:27 AM   #483
User Friendly
scottalot is one of the sharper tools in the shedscottalot is one of the sharper tools in the shedscottalot is one of the sharper tools in the shedscottalot is one of the sharper tools in the shedscottalot is one of the sharper tools in the shedscottalot is one of the sharper tools in the shedscottalot is one of the sharper tools in the shedscottalot is one of the sharper tools in the shedscottalot is one of the sharper tools in the shedscottalot is one of the sharper tools in the shedscottalot is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Scott
scottalot's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by double_b View Post
Wanted to give my method for installing my pre-assembled coil overs from Wheelers. They were OME884 with Bilstein 5100s.

I had a buddy who is a body man(for 30 years) help me. I explained to him the several different ways of doing the front coil over removal and install from here on TW. I liked the method of loosening the cam bolts and removing the two bolts from the LCA and ball joint "knuckle".

We did a little bit of each method in this thread. By a little bit we basically did one step only from each method.

First: We removed the sway bar brackets to allow the sway bar some room to move out of the way. Only the brackets not the joint.

Second: We removed the two bolts holding the LCA to the ball joint area(sorry, not sure of the term) like shown in the video earlier in this thread. We did not loosen the cam bolts for the LCA.

Third: I took a 2x4 and slid it between the portion of the LCA nearer to the cab and then pushed down with my foot to force the LCA down and out of the way while he removed the factory coil over then slid the new one in. When we did the first side I had a pry bar and a shorter 2x4 then on the driver side we couldn't quite get enough distance down with that combo and we realized a longer 2x and no pry bar was the ticket and this worked perfect and was easy. Lots of leverage. Just watch the axle boot so you don't rip it or pinch it with the 2x4.

Overall was an easy process, yes bigger jack, bigger jack stands and air tools help but still pretty straight forward. Glad I didn't take it to a shop and pay 300 or 400 to get it and the AAL installed.

Here is a pic I took while pushing the LCA down.

Sorry, its the only pic I took while we were doing it but its the only thing that is slightly different than has already been shown in the thread.

I like this method. I'll be installing my new 885's very soon. I ordered the OME kit and paid to have them pre assemble the CO's . Am I understanding this right: since my CO's are already assembled that I don't need to worry about the spring pressure since I won't be taking my old ones apart. As long as I leave the top bolt alone on the hat (the bolt everyone says not to turn) then I don't need to worry about my spring flying out and hurting me lol ? Thus, I should have no reason to place a jack under my LCA and relieve the pressure.. In other words, the danger of the spring tension is not an issue if I just take out my stock pre assembled CO's still intact and swap for a new pair of intact CO's ?
Old 06-09-2014, 02:07 PM   #484
AaronK13 is on a distinguished road

Name: Aaron
AaronK13's Tacoma Gallery
I have read ALL 25 pages of this and I just want to ask a few questions. I got the rear done just fine, but the front is where I had issues. I got the sway bar moved just fine, but the UCA is giving me one hell of a time. I tried hammering directly on the threaded pin and no budge. I read on page 9 i think, you need to hit the side of it with a hammer, right on the flat part. (orange arrow) Is that like a sweet spot that releases it? Kinda like tapping the 57 logo on an old kethup bottle? lol

I also tried shoving a pry bar between UCA and spindle. (red arrow), but that didnt work either.

If I cant get it, can I just disconenct the tie rod bar with a tie rod puller and that will give me enough room?

Or, my dad that about removing the 2 bolts that hold in the LCA to the frame and having that swing open. I see that being an issue getting it back together.
Attached Thumbnails
How to: Front shock/spring removal-uca.jpg  
Old 06-14-2014, 10:44 AM   #485
double_b is a name known to alldouble_b is a name known to alldouble_b is a name known to alldouble_b is a name known to alldouble_b is a name known to alldouble_b is a name known to all
double_b's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottalot View Post
I like this method. I'll be installing my new 885's very soon. I ordered the OME kit and paid to have them pre assemble the CO's . Am I understanding this right: since my CO's are already assembled that I don't need to worry about the spring pressure since I won't be taking my old ones apart. As long as I leave the top bolt alone on the hat (the bolt everyone says not to turn) then I don't need to worry about my spring flying out and hurting me lol ? Thus, I should have no reason to place a jack under my LCA and relieve the pressure.. In other words, the danger of the spring tension is not an issue if I just take out my stock pre assembled CO's still intact and swap for a new pair of intact CO's ?
Sorry, I just saw your reply to this thread. Not sure if you did your install yet but you are correct. You do not need to worry about spring pressure since you will be removing it while it is still assembled. Remove the 3 nuts around the top and remove the bottom shock bolt and it stays all assembled, no fear of the spring launching at you. lol
Old 07-06-2014, 09:56 AM   #486
MTopp is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTopp is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTopp is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTopp is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTopp is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTopp is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTopp is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTopp is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTopp is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTopp is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTopp is one of the sharper tools in the shed

MTopp's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by AaronK13 View Post
I have read ALL 25 pages of this and I just want to ask a few questions. I got the rear done just fine, but the front is where I had issues. I got the sway bar moved just fine, but the UCA is giving me one hell of a time. I tried hammering directly on the threaded pin and no budge. I read on page 9 i think, you need to hit the side of it with a hammer, right on the flat part. (orange arrow) Is that like a sweet spot that releases it? Kinda like tapping the 57 logo on an old kethup bottle? lol

I also tried shoving a pry bar between UCA and spindle. (red arrow), but that didnt work either.

If I cant get it, can I just disconenct the tie rod bar with a tie rod puller and that will give me enough room?

Or, my dad that about removing the 2 bolts that hold in the LCA to the frame and having that swing open. I see that being an issue getting it back together.
Bump for some help here. Would also like to know
Old 07-06-2014, 12:14 PM   #487
snow is awesome
VE7OSR is one of the sharper tools in the shedVE7OSR is one of the sharper tools in the shedVE7OSR is one of the sharper tools in the shedVE7OSR is one of the sharper tools in the shedVE7OSR is one of the sharper tools in the shedVE7OSR is one of the sharper tools in the shedVE7OSR is one of the sharper tools in the shedVE7OSR is one of the sharper tools in the shedVE7OSR is one of the sharper tools in the shedVE7OSR is one of the sharper tools in the shedVE7OSR is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rob II
VE7OSR's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottalot View Post
Correct. the most dangerous part of this method is to ensure your truck is stable on the jack stands, as you have to get the truck up high to get enough clearance to drop the coilover out the bottom. Do not need to remove/loosen sway bar or disconnect steering.
Old 07-07-2014, 06:50 PM   #488

MTopp's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by AaronK13 View Post

I just did my lift today and this part was absolutely the biggest pain ever. I hammered in the spot you show, pried where you did and I finally took a piece of hard wood and put it directly onto the threaded part and hammered it. One side popped easy the other, not so much
Old 08-30-2014, 11:01 AM   #489
REEFDUP is a jewel in the roughREEFDUP is a jewel in the roughREEFDUP is a jewel in the rough

Name: Ron
REEFDUP's Tacoma Gallery
I bought the new bushing kit when I bought my coils/struts, I've seen the diagram of the order that they go on a 2nd gen. but with the 1st gen . you're supposed to use both rubber bushings. Which bushing goes where? They're two different ones but cant find out if smaller one goes above top plate or the larger one goes above top plate.
Old 08-30-2014, 12:15 PM   #490

MTopp's Tacoma Gallery
Not sure, give me to around 5 and I have a very important update that will be very helpful.
Old 08-30-2014, 06:07 PM   #491

MTopp's Tacoma Gallery
This tool makes separating the UCA ball joint a million times easier, just make sure its on there good.

http://m.advanceautoparts.com/mt/sho...rm=OTC+tie+rod

OTC Pittman/tie rod end puller, its awesome, buy it
Old 08-30-2014, 06:40 PM   #492

MTopp's Tacoma Gallery
Actually bought this one, but both should work.
http://m.advanceautoparts.com/mt/sho...rchTerm=pitman

Autocraft brand
Old 08-30-2014, 08:59 PM   #493
REEFDUP is a jewel in the roughREEFDUP is a jewel in the roughREEFDUP is a jewel in the rough

Name: Ron
REEFDUP's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by REEFDUP View Post
I bought the new bushing kit when I bought my coils/struts, I've seen the diagram of the order that they go on a 2nd gen. but with the 1st gen . you're supposed to use both rubber bushings. Which bushing goes where? They're two different ones but cant find out if smaller one goes above top plate or the larger one goes above top plate.
Anyone?
Old 08-30-2014, 09:01 PM   #494

MTopp's Tacoma Gallery
Hmm, I'll try looking
Old 08-30-2014, 09:09 PM   #495

MTopp's Tacoma Gallery
Go to this link for parts diagram, I just downloaded and am looking through it now
http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/1st...t-numbers.html
Old 08-30-2014, 09:11 PM   #496

MTopp's Tacoma Gallery
Well, that didn't help, but good for other use for you, I'll keep digging
Old 08-30-2014, 09:15 PM   #497

MTopp's Tacoma Gallery
Couldn't find your answer, sorry. Goin to bed now.http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/1st...ful-links.html

Try postin in 1st gen section

Products Discussed in this Thread