Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

How to: Front shock/spring removal

Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 03-28-2009, 05:38 PM   #1
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
How to: Front shock/spring removal

Removing the front shocks/springs on the second gen Tacoma is a pretty easy task. You will need a small assortment of basic hand tools.
Hammer
Metric sockets (1/4" & 3/8"): 17mm, 19mm, 14mm
3/8" ratchet wrench
1/4" ratchet wrench
14mm ratcheting open/box wrench
19mm open wrench
Needle nose pliers.

Torque for the 3 top nuts is: 47 ft-lbs
Lower shock bolt/nut: 61 ft-lbs
Sway bar nut: 52 ft-lbs

First, jack up the front of the truck and remove both front tires:

Then, remove the 17mm swaybar end link:

Then, remove the 19mm castle nut holding the upper ball joint to the spindle. You will need to use the needle nose pliers to remove the retaining wire. Once this is removed, wire or zip tie the spindle so as to not let it pull or put tension on the brake lines:

Then, you want to remove the 3 14mm nuts on the top plate. DO NOT REMOVE THE CENTER NUT.

Then, remove the 19mm lower shock mount bolt, and nut. You may need to tap this bolt out, once the nut is removed:

Then, Remove the shock/spring assembly:

Reinstall the lift or coilover of your choice in the reverse order.

I accidentaly deleted the pics, so until I can get new ones use these links:
http://ncttora.com/fsm/05+/data/ilea...a/03900510.pdf

http://ncttora.com/fsm/05+/data/ilea...6ta/039000.pdf
Old 03-28-2009, 05:45 PM   #2
go shit in your hat
brianr is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrianr is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrianr is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrianr is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrianr is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrianr is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrianr is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrianr is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrianr is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrianr is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrianr is one of the sharper tools in the shed
brianr's Tacoma Gallery
badass buddy!

good write up.

having a shindig w/o me though...thats harsh.
Old 03-28-2009, 05:48 PM   #3
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianr View Post
badass buddy!

good write up.

having a shindig w/o me though...thats harsh.
Sorry, Buddy. I thought you were working? You would have enjoyed it. Matt almost had to stop me from beating a "Tech" at Pep boys....maybe He'll chime in and tell the story.
Old 03-28-2009, 05:49 PM   #4
tacoma08MZ has much to be proud oftacoma08MZ has much to be proud oftacoma08MZ has much to be proud oftacoma08MZ has much to be proud oftacoma08MZ has much to be proud oftacoma08MZ has much to be proud oftacoma08MZ has much to be proud oftacoma08MZ has much to be proud oftacoma08MZ has much to be proud oftacoma08MZ has much to be proud of

Name: Levi
tacoma08MZ's Tacoma Gallery
Wow, thats way easier than i thought it would be! Ill be doin this by myself when i throw out the spacer lift, thanks chris!
Old 03-28-2009, 05:49 PM   #6
Lieutenant Dan.
DeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter: Lieutenant
DeeKay21's Tacoma Gallery
Looking good! Good job guys!!!
Old 03-28-2009, 06:20 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrunesDoesTRD View Post
I wanna hear to tech beating story!!
Well, We took the stock shocks/springs to Pep Boys to have them swap the new OME 885 springs and Bilstien 5100 shocks. We dropped them off, and left to go assemble Matts new TC UCA's. We needed a different size grease zerk for one of the arms, so we headed back to Pep Boys. We got the parts, hung out for a bit, then, while we were on aisle 9a, my phone rings, it was Pep Boys telling me the shocks were finished. We stroll over to the counter, and the dude says, "Here ya go!" with a big grin on his face. The Top Plates were on crooked, and Im looking at them and notice, that they assembled them without the bushings or washers!!! The service dude, says "Oh...sorry about that, I'll go get it fixed"....I told him I want to go back there and show the dude how to build them....he started to mumble something, but I was already walking back there. So I see this fat ass trying to work the spring compressor, and he asked "whats wrong with them?"....I about LOST IT! I told him "They need to have the bushings installed, washeres, and the spring is installed wrong". The manager was right there, and he looked at the tech and said "You should have known better! How many of these have you done?". Well, I showed both of them how to do it. Matts Top Plate was gouged as the top nut was installed without a bushing or washer, and it was gouging the Top Plate. Idiots. I was pissed.
Old 03-28-2009, 06:33 PM   #9
UnderWater Monopoly Champion
TicTacOma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTicTacOma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTicTacOma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTicTacOma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTicTacOma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTicTacOma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTicTacOma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTicTacOma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTicTacOma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTicTacOma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTicTacOma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: F-15 Crew-Chief
Name: Anastatia Beaverhausen
TicTacOma's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via Yahoo to TicTacOma
So if you had an aftermarket setup that was a complete shock/spring assembly like ToyTecs Ultimate Kit where you didn't need to "build" the shock/spring.....It would just slide right back in there, correct?
Old 03-28-2009, 06:35 PM   #10
abides.
Brunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Coast Guard: LT- CG MH-65C/D Driver- CGAS NOLA
Name: Mark
Brunes's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to Brunes
Quote:
Originally Posted by TicTacOma View Post
So if you had an aftermarket setup that was a complete shock/spring assembly where you didn't need to "build" the shock/spring like ToyTecs Ultimate Kit.....It would just slide right back in there, correct?
If you mean- You buy a completely assembled coilover then...yes. Just take the old one out and put the new one in.

That's pretty sad Chris- I'd be pissed. I'm glad that I'll get to help with mine when the time comes...
Old 03-28-2009, 08:16 PM   #11
go shit in your hat
brianr is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrianr is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrianr is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrianr is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrianr is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrianr is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrianr is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrianr is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrianr is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrianr is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrianr is one of the sharper tools in the shed
brianr's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris4x4 View Post
Sorry, Buddy. I thought you were working? You would have enjoyed it. Matt almost had to stop me from beating a "Tech" at Pep boys....maybe He'll chime in and tell the story.
haha, we need to have a cigar meet soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by duckcmdr View Post
Damn Brian I thought that was your truck for a minute. thought you got some new toys
sorry Joe, no new toys for me. I'm looking at new tires right now though. Maybe wheels if I find a good deal.
Old 03-28-2009, 09:02 PM   #12
DanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shed
DanGer's Tacoma Gallery
Hey chris, is it really just that striaght forward to put on the 5100's? I know you need an alignment
Old 03-28-2009, 09:39 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgerm View Post
Hey chris, is it really just that striaght forward to put on the 5100's? I know you need an alignment
Its just that easy. Take the springs and shocks to a place to have them installed, if you dont have a spring compressor. If you take it some place, make sure the reinstall everything propperly.
Old 03-29-2009, 02:32 AM   #14
Do Work Son!
rossk35 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrossk35 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrossk35 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrossk35 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrossk35 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrossk35 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrossk35 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrossk35 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrossk35 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrossk35 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrossk35 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
rossk35's Tacoma Gallery
Instead of unbolting the ball joint why not just remove the top control arm. Its easier that way which is the way I do it on the 5 lug tacomas when installing a drop kit.
Old 03-29-2009, 05:57 AM   #17
UnderWater Monopoly Champion
TicTacOma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTicTacOma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTicTacOma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTicTacOma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTicTacOma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTicTacOma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTicTacOma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTicTacOma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTicTacOma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTicTacOma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTicTacOma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: F-15 Crew-Chief
Name: Anastatia Beaverhausen
TicTacOma's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via Yahoo to TicTacOma
^^ You can still bring the chips and dip.....
Old 03-29-2009, 06:13 AM   #18
^^^^ 3%er ^^^^
Packman73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPackman73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPackman73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPackman73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPackman73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPackman73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPackman73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPackman73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPackman73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPackman73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPackman73 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Matt
Packman73's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TicTacOma View Post
^^ You can still bring the chips and dip.....
Well, ok.... but what am I to do with all these hookers then...? Um, nevermind.
Old 03-29-2009, 06:15 AM   #19
go shit in your hat
brianr's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by PackerfanXD View Post
Well, ok.... but what am I to do with all these hookers then...? Um, nevermind.

damn, thats where they are all are...you are hording them over there near 7th St.

Products Discussed in this Thread