LSC15's 95 Tacoma 4x4

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

Icon Stage 5 install help/ question on pro install

Old 03-05-2014, 01:00 PM   #1
fafafahey is one of the sharper tools in the shedfafafahey is one of the sharper tools in the shedfafafahey is one of the sharper tools in the shedfafafahey is one of the sharper tools in the shedfafafahey is one of the sharper tools in the shedfafafahey is one of the sharper tools in the shedfafafahey is one of the sharper tools in the shedfafafahey is one of the sharper tools in the shedfafafahey is one of the sharper tools in the shedfafafahey is one of the sharper tools in the shedfafafahey is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jim
fafafahey's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via Skype™ to fafafahey
Icon Stage 5 install help/ question on pro install

In need of some TW wisdom....
Yesterday, Icon Stage 5 lift was completed by a 4 wheel drive shop. On the way home, started hearing some knocking under front drivers side on turns and hitting the potholes I could not avoid. When I get home, start researching TW and see people having issues with LCA's and the cam bolts seizing when they try to do the alignment post lift, causing a similar noise. I'm thinking that is the same noise I'm hearing.

Today, since I'm going to the Toyota dealer for 15K service, I ask them to investigate. After dropping truck off, they call me an hour later and say "you need to come look at this." Toyota says the LCA's are fine, no noise coming from them, but they found that the body to frame bolts (the one by where the cab mount chop (CMC) goes and the one higher up to the front of the wheel well) are both loose and one is missing the bushing i.e. someone had recently re-assembled and not put back together right. The rear body mount is what was loose and causing the noise - frame against body.

This is where my question is to TW since I am by no mean a mechanic and just simply looking for people to take ownership of their mistakes.

My assumption is that they removed/loosened these bolts to mount the suspension (especially the bracket for the resi) and did not put it back right? So, when installing a kit, Icon Stage 5 or whatever with similiar components, would the installer have a need to remove/loosen these components?

The 4 wheel drive shop said they did not do this, however, the remote resi is hitting the fender liner and scratching it up on the drivers side, which I'm going to have them fix. The fact is no one else worked on the truck right before this noise started happening. Any and all feedback greatly appreciated.
Old 03-05-2014, 01:02 PM   #2
MGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

MGMTacolover55's Tacoma Gallery
If you want something done right do it yourself. I would rather install the lift myself and save money and not have someone molset my truck who doesn't give a crap about it.
Old 03-05-2014, 01:17 PM   #3
fafafahey is one of the sharper tools in the shedfafafahey is one of the sharper tools in the shedfafafahey is one of the sharper tools in the shedfafafahey is one of the sharper tools in the shedfafafahey is one of the sharper tools in the shedfafafahey is one of the sharper tools in the shedfafafahey is one of the sharper tools in the shedfafafahey is one of the sharper tools in the shedfafafahey is one of the sharper tools in the shedfafafahey is one of the sharper tools in the shedfafafahey is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by MGMTacolover55 View Post
If you want something done right do it yourself. I would rather install the lift myself and save money and not have someone molset my truck who doesn't give a crap about it.
I'm mechanically inclined, but not for this stuff. If I would have done the install, I'd have maimed myself and broken pieces everywhere.

Did you touch those bolts when you did your lift?
Old 03-05-2014, 01:23 PM   #4
Don't ask questions you don't want the answer to..
chadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedchadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedchadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedchadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedchadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedchadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedchadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedchadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedchadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedchadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedchadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shed

chadderkdawg's Tacoma Gallery
There is no need to remove body/frame bolts when installing a suspension lift.
Old 03-05-2014, 01:29 PM   #5
masshole taco is on a distinguished road

Name: Big Daddy
masshole taco's Tacoma Gallery
100000% agree, no reason to touch the body mount bolts but they must of if they're loose.. They just don't get loose on their own.
Old 03-05-2014, 02:14 PM   #6

Thank you all for the help. I think I've figured it out...

About a month ago I had a body shop put on the Fab Fours front bumper. Along with that, they did some minor body work on the drivers side front fender. I'm thinking these cab mount bolts were touched then and maybe not put back right. So, the issue has been present for over a month, but not revealed until the suspension geometry change with the Stage 5 which is much tighter, brings out issues like this.

Right or wrong, the cause of the knock was found and is getting fixed. I'm glad. Thanks again TW.
Old 03-05-2014, 02:18 PM   #7
RacecarGuy is on a distinguished road
RacecarGuy's Tacoma Gallery
My guess is they loosened the body mount to make more clearance to undo the UCA bolt versus bending the inner fender out of the way.
Old 03-08-2014, 06:22 PM   #8
SoCal1 is on a distinguished road

SoCal1's Tacoma Gallery
There's no need to loosen or remove the bodymount bolts! Not for upper arm bolts and not for the bodymount plate cut/weld. Chances are it was the body shop but even then we don't see why they would have had to. We install the same suspension system atleast once a week and never would even think to need to remove/loosen and would doubt any reputable 4wd shop would see the need to either. Just be glad it's fixed and be careful about who touches your ride! How do you like the kit so far? We get really good feedback on it.
Old 03-09-2014, 05:13 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCal1 View Post
There's no need to loosen or remove the bodymount bolts! Not for upper arm bolts and not for the bodymount plate cut/weld. Chances are it was the body shop but even then we don't see why they would have had to. We install the same suspension system atleast once a week and never would even think to need to remove/loosen and would doubt any reputable 4wd shop would see the need to either. Just be glad it's fixed and be careful about who touches your ride! How do you like the kit so far? We get really good feedback on it.
I love the setup, but I'm waiting on the shipping of new bolts for the dealer to install. So, the truck has been sitting in my garage patiently waiting....

Right now, the truck has way too much rake so I'm going to adjust the fronts, even though I know the rear end will settle over time. I'd rather be closer to level than what it is now. I've ordered the Icon spanner wrench, which as other members have said, you'd think they would include that tool for as much as this kit costs!
Old 03-10-2014, 05:23 PM   #11
SoCal1 is on a distinguished road

SoCal1's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by fafafahey View Post
I love the setup, but I'm waiting on the shipping of new bolts for the dealer to install. So, the truck has been sitting in my garage patiently waiting....

Right now, the truck has way too much rake so I'm going to adjust the fronts, even though I know the rear end will settle over time. I'd rather be closer to level than what it is now. I've ordered the Icon spanner wrench, which as other members have said, you'd think they would include that tool for as much as this kit costs!

I'm sure that not including the spanner allows them to not build it into the price since most people wouldn't know what to do with it anyway! Haha
Glad you're liking the kit! Let us know if we can help...