1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Icon Stage 5 install help/ question on pro install

Discussion in 'Suspension' started by Two Tall, Mar 5, 2014.

1. Mar 5, 2014 at 1:00 PM
    Two Tall

Two Tall [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jim
    Ohio
    Vehicle:
    2018 TRD Off Road DCSB 4x4
    Retrax MXPro bed cover, Gentex Homelink mirror, TRD exhaust
    In need of some TW wisdom....
    Yesterday, Icon Stage 5 lift was completed by a 4 wheel drive shop. On the way home, started hearing some knocking under front drivers side on turns and hitting the potholes I could not avoid. When I get home, start researching TW and see people having issues with LCA's and the cam bolts seizing when they try to do the alignment post lift, causing a similar noise. I'm thinking that is the same noise I'm hearing.

Today, since I'm going to the Toyota dealer for 15K service, I ask them to investigate. After dropping truck off, they call me an hour later and say "you need to come look at this." Toyota says the LCA's are fine, no noise coming from them, but they found that the body to frame bolts (the one by where the cab mount chop (CMC) goes and the one higher up to the front of the wheel well) are both loose and one is missing the bushing i.e. someone had recently re-assembled and not put back together right. The rear body mount is what was loose and causing the noise - frame against body.

This is where my question is to TW since I am by no mean a mechanic and just simply looking for people to take ownership of their mistakes.

My assumption is that they removed/loosened these bolts to mount the suspension (especially the bracket for the resi) and did not put it back right? So, when installing a kit, Icon Stage 5 or whatever with similiar components, would the installer have a need to remove/loosen these components?

The 4 wheel drive shop said they did not do this, however, the remote resi is hitting the fender liner and scratching it up on the drivers side, which I'm going to have them fix. The fact is no one else worked on the truck right before this noise started happening. Any and all feedback greatly appreciated.

2. Mar 5, 2014 at 1:02 PM
    MGMTacolover55

MGMTacolover55 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Orygun
    Vehicle:
    2013 MGM Taco TRD Off Road
    floor Mats
    If you want something done right do it yourself. I would rather install the lift myself and save money and not have someone molset my truck who doesn't give a crap about it.

3. Mar 5, 2014 at 1:17 PM
    Two Tall

Member:
    First Name:
    Jim
    Ohio
    Vehicle:
    I'm mechanically inclined, but not for this stuff. If I would have done the install, I'd have maimed myself and broken pieces everywhere.

Did you touch those bolts when you did your lift?

4. Mar 5, 2014 at 1:23 PM
    chadderkdawg

chadderkdawg Don't ask questions you don't want the answer to..

Member:
    Des Moines, Iowa
    Vehicle:
    09 FX4 F150
    There is no need to remove body/frame bolts when installing a suspension lift.

5. Mar 5, 2014 at 1:29 PM
    masshole taco

masshole taco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Big Daddy
    Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    2011 Tacoma Sport
    Fox 2.5 C/O's Fox 2.0 rear shocks Total Chaos UCA Trifecta Tonneau Cover K&N FIPK Sirius Satellite Radio Toyota OEM roof rack Wet Okole Seat Covers Homer Taco Custom Grill w/ M1 Mesh and Toyota Emblem
    100000% agree, no reason to touch the body mount bolts but they must of if they're loose.. They just don't get loose on their own.

6. Mar 5, 2014 at 2:14 PM
    Two Tall

Member:
    First Name:
    Jim
    Ohio
    Vehicle:
    Thank you all for the help. I think I've figured it out...

About a month ago I had a body shop put on the Fab Fours front bumper. Along with that, they did some minor body work on the drivers side front fender. I'm thinking these cab mount bolts were touched then and maybe not put back right. So, the issue has been present for over a month, but not revealed until the suspension geometry change with the Stage 5 which is much tighter, brings out issues like this.

Right or wrong, the cause of the knock was found and is getting fixed. I'm glad. Thanks again TW.

7. Mar 5, 2014 at 2:18 PM
    RacecarGuy

RacecarGuy Well-Known Member

Member:
    Houston, Texas
    Vehicle:
    '12 DCSB OR
    Pelfreybilt front and rear HC bumper w/swingout, BAMF LCA Skids, BAMF Diff skid, Pelfreybilt IFS and Trans skid, RCI gas tank skid, Bronze SCS F-5's, Icon RR's ext travel, Dakar leafs, Archive Garage shackle flip
    My guess is they loosened the body mount to make more clearance to undo the UCA bolt versus bending the inner fender out of the way.

8. Mar 8, 2014 at 6:22 PM
    SoCal1

SoCal1 Member

Member:
    There's no need to loosen or remove the bodymount bolts! Not for upper arm bolts and not for the bodymount plate cut/weld. Chances are it was the body shop but even then we don't see why they would have had to. We install the same suspension system atleast once a week and never would even think to need to remove/loosen and would doubt any reputable 4wd shop would see the need to either. Just be glad it's fixed and be careful about who touches your ride! How do you like the kit so far? We get really good feedback on it.

9. Mar 9, 2014 at 5:13 AM
    Two Tall

Member:
    First Name:
    Jim
    Ohio
    Vehicle:
    I love the setup, but I'm waiting on the shipping of new bolts for the dealer to install. So, the truck has been sitting in my garage patiently waiting....

Right now, the truck has way too much rake so I'm going to adjust the fronts, even though I know the rear end will settle over time. I'd rather be closer to level than what it is now. I've ordered the Icon spanner wrench, which as other members have said, you'd think they would include that tool for as much as this kit costs!

10. Mar 10, 2014 at 5:23 PM
    SoCal1

SoCal1 Member

Member:

I'm sure that not including the spanner allows them to not build it into the price since most people wouldn't know what to do with it anyway! Haha
    Glad you're liking the kit! Let us know if we can help...

Products Discussed in

To Top